Author Topic: Smash Bros. Brawl Apparently Delayed in Europe Beyond Q2 2008  (Read 4288 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Smash Bros. Brawl Apparently Delayed in Europe Beyond Q2 2008
« on: December 06, 2007, 04:37:46 AM »
Nintendo UK’s first half release schedule omits Brawl, spokesperson confirms a pre-July launch is "currently not planned." Updated: Clarification leaves door open for Q2 release.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=14941

Nintendo UK has unveiled its early 2008 software release schedule for Wii and DS, revealing the dates for several already released holiday titles in other regions such as NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros’ Treasure (both coming in January) and Battalion Wars 2 (February 15th). The list also provides a Q2 launch window for Mario Kart Wii, but is most notable for a single omission, that of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.    

Set for a February 10th launch in North America, the highly anticipated all-star fighting extravaganza’s absence from the schedule quickly prompted inquiry from the media. Speaking to CVG a Nintendo UK spokesperson confirmed that Brawl "is currently not planned for a release in Q1 or Q2 of next year" without expounding on the causes for what would constitute (at minimum) a four month lag from the North American release. Such a delay will assuredly apply to all the PAL territories including continental Europe and Australia along with the UK.    

Also missing from next year’s first half slate is Wii Fit, which is widely expected to launch in North America within the first six months of 2008 following its launch last week in Japan.    

Updated: Nintendo UK has responded to the speculation regarding Brawl’s PAL release by clarifying its position on the early 2008 schedule with CVG. The list "confirmed launch dates for Nintendo titles launching in Q1 2008," and while it also included some listings for beyond that period, "all Nintendo software titles launching in Q2 2008 have not been finalised or confirmed to date" according to a spokesman.    

This stance is not entirely inconsistent with the previous statement that there are no current plans for a PAL Brawl launch inside Q2 2008, but does make explicit that the door remains open for a pre-July release. It also reaffirms that Brawl will not be arriving in Europe immediately after the North American launch; rather, there will be at least a near-two-month lag for PAL Wii owners waiting for Smash Bros.

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline pSYCO-gAMER321

• my giant image signature is still kewl
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Smash Bros. Brawl Apparently Delayed in Europe Beyond Q2 2008
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 05:27:32 AM »
Don't worry, Nintendo said that Europe will get it for summer... hopefully.
This account is over 5 years old.  o.o
FC(JPN): 2781-3170-5058-4631
FC(USA): 4793-8665-4989-8838
SSBB(JPN) 3351-3351-3953

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:Smash Bros. Brawl Apparently Delayed in Europe Beyond Q2 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 05:34:23 AM »
Oh man.  No way.  Maybe it's an oversight, or they just want to wait for a firm date.  I mean... jeez not again.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 05:40:49 AM »
Galaxy launched within a week.. I wonder what the delay is?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 05:52:10 AM »
Because there is text. Galaxy has little text, so they just put it through a translator they made in Excel.

Back when America was getting Brawl in December 2007, we already had a vague "2008", so this isn't too surprising.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 06:01:40 AM »
sux 2 b europeans
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Atma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 09:53:14 AM »
Nintendo gets a 10/10 for trolling PAL territories. I honestly hope this happens, as there will be a huge backlash and lulz that follow afterwards.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 09:56:53 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Galaxy launched within a week.. I wonder what the delay is?

They are probably making sure that online mode works fine for European players.

Galaxy had no online mode and was already translated in a couple of languages so launching it within a week of the US release was possible since the work was already done (plus, Galaxy is Nintendo's big Christmas hit and they wanted it to be out in all major countries before the end of the year). Brawl, on the other hand, not only has a lot of text to translate they also have a lot of online enabled modes they need to polish, especially if international players are going to suffer from laggy matches.

Or in the immortal words of PaLaDiN; "Online mode ruined everything!"
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline The Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 10:06:48 AM »
No PAL regions are just getting screwed again.. There should be no excuse for this, they should have it out everywhere by March. The only way this makes any sense is if its going to be delayed again elsewhere.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 12:39:10 PM »
I wouldn't take this as confirmation of anything. They just don't know when it'll be done.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 01:45:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
I wouldn't take this as confirmation of anything. They just don't know when it'll be done.

Then why does Mario Kart feature on that list? Don't get your hopes up because this situation has that familiar look and smell of 'lets screw the PAL regions again.' Furthermore I think that  the explanation of online modes proving time-consuming to implement is unlikely. Mario Kart DS had close to a worldwide launch and that was one of Nintendo's initial forays into online. Mario Kart Wii is also heavily online-centric and that appears to be releasing in similar timeframes throughout the world.

One thing Microsoft has done well with 360 is the constant ability to provide worldwide releases, which is much appreciated.

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.”

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 04:04:54 PM »
I suspect that it'll see another delay in the US and Japan as well.

As usual, NoE is just the first to announce changes in release dates.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 04:26:08 PM »
Europe-folks are used to the screwing over.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline The Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 11:33:23 PM »
If modding Wii's didnt brick systems I wouldnt hesitate. Damn Nintendo.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 11:36:49 PM »
Yeah but we're getting Wii Chess pretty soon who even needs Smash Bros. doesn't have Captain Falcon anyway it's just some childish childrens game for kids with its wiggle waggle ferris wheel controls what is this can't even render a leaf blowing in real time must be less powerful than a rock and at least a rock can move around with realistic physics this is NoE's revenge for Super Paper Mario and Pokemon Battle Revolution completely failing and that wasn't due to them being six months late and costing about $80 US no no it was because PAL gamers don't appreciate quality gaming more like haming gamers pork bacon bits on the pizza sometimes could just be a rat Krystal Krystal Krystal confirmed everyone cried uh oh where's mah generic hero from Fire Emblem he was my favorite wiggle waggle biggle baggle boggle man boggle was awesome they should put that on DS why not they've got other board games like monopoly and snakes and ladders and try out our new exciting breakfast menu at hyngry jacks the burgers are better at your local fish and chip shop why don't they call them fish and chip and better hamburgers what about the this is an outrage Nintendo you monsters Bubsy had terrible music on Mega Drive compared to thSKATEORDIE

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 01:59:06 AM »

Originally posted by: The Traveller
If modding Wii's didnt brick systems I wouldnt hesitate. Damn Nintendo.

I heard there's a mod that doesn't get bricked, something about the drive controller. But yeah, F### NINTENDO OF EUROPE.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 02:51:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Crimm
Europe-folks are used to the screwing over.

It sounds like you are doing the screw overs.

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 03:31:26 AM »
CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:45:01 AM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality