Author Topic: Galaxy Sells Big, Takes Ratings Crown  (Read 7696 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Galaxy Sells Big, Takes Ratings Crown
« on: November 20, 2007, 05:27:48 PM »
Nintendo claims over half a million sales in the first week of Mario's North American release.  Also, it has overtaken Ocarina for best reviewed game of all time.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=14846

CRITICS AND CONSUMERS AGREE: SUPER MARIO GALAXY IS OUT OF THIS WORLD    

Wii Celebrates One Year, Strong Momentum and Best-Reviewed Game – Ever

REDMOND, Wash., Nov. 20, 2007 – Could Super Mario Galaxy™ be the best video game of all time?    

If you ask critics and consumers, the answer is a resounding yes. Reviewers for video game and mainstream media alike are responding with high marks to the boundless sense of wonder and fun the game brings to both experienced and novice players.    

Independent review-tracking site GameRankings.com now lists Super Mario Galaxy for Nintendo's Wii™ system as the best-reviewed game of all time, and another review-tracking site, Metacritic.com, lists Super Mario Galaxy as having "Universal Acclaim," with a score of 98 out of 100.    

More on what reviewers are saying:    

* GameSpot.com: Super Mario Galaxy "has tons of appeal for both the less experienced player and the longtime gamer. ... If ever there were a must-own Wii game, Super Mario Galaxy is it."    

* Yahoo!: "… you'd be hard pressed to find (a game) as genuinely enjoyable as Mario's latest. If you own a Wii, you should own this, too."    

* 1UP.com - "Galaxy proves that Mario matters just as much today as he did 25 years ago, and that makes him one of a kind in this medium. But don't play Galaxy simply because Mario is the timeless godfather of gaming. No, play Galaxy because it's fantastic."    

"Super Mario Galaxy had the strongest one-week debut of any Wii game to date and has also become the best-selling Mario title ever in its first week, with U.S. sales of more than 500,000, based on internal sales figures," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "It makes an easy gift choice as the holiday shopping season kicks off."    

Consumers can try Super Mario Galaxy before they buy it at one of 25 malls across the country during Nintendo's Mall Experience, showcasing all the best video games for the holidays. Nintendo's Mall Experience runs through Jan. 8. To find a mall near you, visit http://wii.nintendo.com/malltour_07.jsp.    

For more information about Super Mario Galaxy, please visit www.SuperMarioGalaxy.com. Remember that Wii features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other Wii features, visit Wii.com.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Galaxy Sells Big, Takes Ratings Crown
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 06:15:45 PM »
Nice to see that had no faith in Metroid.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 06:19:41 PM »
See Japan? This is what you should be buying

It's funny, because we were saying the same thing about North America when the DS was selling huge in Japan.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:Galaxy Sells Big, Takes Ratings Crown
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 06:31:18 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
See Japan? This is what you should be buying

It's funny, because Iwata was saying the same thing about North America when Brain Training was selling huge in Japan.

O i c wut I did there

say something Reggie, I dare you

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 06:38:49 PM »
Looks like Iwata should generally whip EVERY SINGLE ONE NINTENDO REGIONAL OFFICE?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 06:52:39 PM »
The greatest 3D platformer of all time deserves no less.

Offline pSYCO-gAMER321

• my giant image signature is still kewl
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 07:20:43 PM »
Now if only the sales pick up now...
This account is over 5 years old.  o.o
FC(JPN): 2781-3170-5058-4631
FC(USA): 4793-8665-4989-8838
SSBB(JPN) 3351-3351-3953

Offline The Traveller

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 07:54:19 PM »
Nintendo should go out on a limb here and give every Wii owner in Japan a demo of it. Japan must just hate fun, there top selling games over there are more often than not boring grindfest RPGS.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 11:46:19 PM »

Originally posted by: The Traveller
Nintendo should go out on a limb here and give every Wii owner in Japan a demo of it. Japan must just hate fun, there top selling games over there are more often than not boring grindfest RPGS.

Man, if only Mario were more like an RPG, oh wait, that's been done already...

On a more serious note, that is an amazing quantity to go through so fast, I wonder what the numbers will look like come early January.
Life is good

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 01:22:31 AM »
There are two things, first Japan is full of old people, and second, Japan is a fad country, where conformity is the rule, once something is "popular", theres no turning back, everyone will follow like lemmings until the next fad arrives, the fad is wiisports and the like and theres no way it will change for now.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 03:44:08 AM »
CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:34:25 AM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 04:20:51 AM »
Sure, but the west considers individuality much more than the east.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline brian577

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 04:52:33 AM »
Maybe I'm reading the site wrong, but gamerankings.com only lists it as second best reviewed.
http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp?rankings=y

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 05:08:03 AM »
Today on Game Rankings Ocarina of Time is back on top again.  Isn't it cool how Half-Life 2 appears THREE TIMES in the top ten.  I mean it's just based on review scores but boy does that look silly.  I can't wait for a birthday.  I should have just put Contra 4 on the birthday list instead and bought this myself.

Yeah America is fad based but we do at least pretend to encourage individuality.  Hell the marketers even manipulate our importance in individuality by saying things about how you can buy their product to fit your personal style.  Yeah everyone is supposed to own an iPod but the music you put in the iPod is supposed to be an expression of your individuality.  Yeah that's a load of BS but that's how they market.

Japan in comparison sounds like a country where there are no demographics.  In North America it's normal for a game to have a cult following but I've never heard of that in Japan.  Just look how Japanese games will sell often very well in North America but awesome North American games will get completed ignored in Japan.  Look at how in North America consoles like the Genesis, N64 and Xbox were able to get a fair foothold in the market despite not being the market leader but in Japan it's like only one console ever sells at a time.  Look at how in North America non-games and games both sell very well and quite clearly there are two different demographics worth targetting.  In Japan it's like only non-games are selling.  From a North American perspective I would assume the old gamers would still want to buy traditional games but that doesn't appear to be the case.  The old gamers haven't and never would abruptly change tastes overnight in North America.  But it has happened in Japan.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 06:30:24 PM »
That's funny, because Half-Life 2 wouldn't even go into my personal Top 25.  I do think it's good though, and I look forward to playing Eps. 1 and 2 now that I have a new graphics card.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 06:46:16 PM »

Originally posted by: brian577
Maybe I'm reading the site wrong, but gamerankings.com only lists it as second best reviewed.
http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp?rankings=y

Reviews got added. SMG was higher than OOT when they had equal numbers of reviews, usually as the number of reviews increases the score goes down. TP was pretty high in the ranks once but dropped with more reviews. However, if SMG ever falls below SM64 scorewise then the whole review "industry" needs a kick in the nuts, you'd need a fatal amount of nostalgia to even consider SM64 equal to SMG.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 06:47:12 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Yeah America is fad based but we do at least pretend to encourage individuality.  Hell the marketers even manipulate our importance in individuality by saying things about how you can buy their product to fit your personal style.  Yeah everyone is supposed to own an iPod but the music you put in the iPod is supposed to be an expression of your individuality.  Yeah that's a load of BS but that's how they market.

Japan in comparison sounds like a country where there are no demographics.  In North America it's normal for a game to have a cult following but I've never heard of that in Japan.  Just look how Japanese games will sell often very well in North America but awesome North American games will get completed ignored in Japan.  Look at how in North America consoles like the Genesis, N64 and Xbox were able to get a fair foothold in the market despite not being the market leader but in Japan it's like only one console ever sells at a time.  Look at how in North America non-games and games both sell very well and quite clearly there are two different demographics worth targetting.  In Japan it's like only non-games are selling.  From a North American perspective I would assume the old gamers would still want to buy traditional games but that doesn't appear to be the case.  The old gamers haven't and never would abruptly change tastes overnight in North America.  But it has happened in Japan.

Haha... you know, that sounds eerily accurate...

Don't you think it's interesting in thinking that Nintendo is probably actually extremely "western" in a lot of ways and sensibilities? They've always been extremely individualistic and had their own identity, and they've been pushing for constant innovations and change all the time, always trying to burst onto a new scene or evangelize a new way of thinking.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 07:18:36 PM »

Yeah everyone is supposed to own an iPod . . .

Or they could get a . . . ::thinks:: zune?

Lots of people get iPods because they are great media devices as opposed to it being a "fad", IMHO.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 08:10:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Looks like Iwata should generally whip EVERY SINGLE ONE NINTENDO REGIONAL OFFICE?

Once for every stuffup? He'd never finish the savage beating that NAL deserve.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 08:34:06 PM »

Originally posted by: brian577
http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp?rankings=y [/q

The press it got offended too many people with agendas. When one giant fat sweaty nerd can tip the scale, somethings wrong with the system.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 02:29:07 PM »

The greatest 3D platformer of all time deserves no less.

How dare you besmirch Donkey Kong 64!

However, if SMG ever falls below SM64 scorewise then the whole review "industry" needs a kick in the nuts, you'd need a fatal amount of nostalgia to even consider SM64 equal to SMG.

In my opinion (which is completely uninformed - I just got Galaxy and I've only played it for an hour), Super Mario 64 is better than Galaxy on multiple counts:

1) It's less linear.
2) It doesn't force you to sit through boring cut-scenes.
3) It has less throw-backs to the previous games (so there's more room for its own special breed of magic).
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 02:44:03 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering

In my opinion (which is completely uninformed - I just got Galaxy and I've only played it for an hour), Super Mario 64 is better than Galaxy on multiple counts:

1) It's less linear.
2) It doesn't force you to sit through boring cut-scenes.
3) It has less throw-backs to the previous games (so there's more room for its own special breed of magic).

Your second point proves you weren't lying, after the opening cut-scene there really aren't any more, at least that I've seen. Numbers 1 and 3 are really subjective, because I think those are reasons why Galaxy is better than 64. The imposed linearity of Galaxy lets it be more of a platformer and less of an adventure, bringing the series back closer to its 2D roots which I think is definitely a good thing, and Galaxy is able to do its own thing while throwing out tons of awesome nostalgic references to the series' past; it definitely has its own distinct magic.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007, 05:39:04 PM »
Here is why I think Galaxy is better than Mario 64:

1. The level designs, while linear, are light years beyond Mario 64
2. The core gameplay feature of the game is an evolution of the Mario 64 theme. It is just as innovative and fresh as Mario 64 was before it
3. Perfect integration of nostalgia elements with a fresh new face. The game feels more like the 2D Mario's then Mario 64 ever did
4. Most diverse levels in a Mario game EVER
5. Boss battles run circles around Mario 64's, which were lacking for the most part. Besides Bowser and maybe two others, Mario 64 lags way behind.
6. This is subjective, but I think it is more challenging then Mario 64. Some bosses and yes levels kicked my butt, but they are balanced enough that you will get through them with perserverance
7. Many of the worlds are much larger than those in Mario 64. I think we forget that Mario 64, for the most part was pretty condensed besides a few exceptions
8. The game has a wide diversity of "playground" levels that seem to surpass those in Mario 64, especially the larger worlds
9. The music is the greatest EVER in a Mario game and Mario 64 doesn't even come close to matching it
10. The ending is better than Mario 64's "Let's bake a cake"
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2007, 07:53:36 PM »

9. The music is the greatest EVER in a Mario game and Mario 64 doesn't even come close to matching it

QFT times 100000000000000000.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 12:09:10 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
When one giant fat sweaty nerd can tip the scale, somethings wrong with the system.