Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 668298 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Your guess is as good as mine EDITION)
« Reply #625 on: January 29, 2016, 05:02:19 PM »
Yeah, I think the 3DS would have sold just fine right out of the game if it had been $200 instead of $250 and the software came quicker. It sold better early in its life than the DS, which had a November release, even as it was.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 29, 2016, 05:07:44 PM »
I'm just saying, you never know what kind of conclusions Nintendo will come to. Not always the obvious ones. I'm not convinced that they fully understand why the Wii U was not successful, but that's tough to tell until their next system is released.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #627 on: January 29, 2016, 08:24:36 PM »
This generations there should be no excuses for a drought. The games that are supposed to come out on NX should have been in development in early 2014 or late 2013.

That's how I would plan it anyhow.

I would wager that the big teams would be ready for launch. We know Retro's next game (may it be DKC3 for the gigantic salt mine) is showing up on the "next console", EAD Tokyo has only put out Captain Todd since 3D World... wasn't the reason there were so many spinoffs last year because they're saving as much as possible for the next system?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 30, 2016, 03:27:44 PM »
Magnetic Resistive DPAD and Buttons

Today is February 1st 2016 (I post from the future) I'm ready to make my NX prediction. The NX Go will have Magnetic Resistive DPAD and Buttons. I'm not even sure what that means.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 30, 2016, 07:02:16 PM »
That's actually a brilliant idea! Use electromagnetism to create tactile resistance based on what you are doing in the game.

Example: New Donkey Kong Country game has a windy level where the winds push your character back and forth. The greater the wind, the stronger the magnetic resistance in the buttons when you press down the direction you want to go.

Another example: Yet-Another-Mario-Sonic-Olympic-Title has a swimming game where you repeatedly press a button to kick your legs. The lower your stamina gets, the stronger the resistance is against your pressing.

I believe the old Shockwave Force Feedback joysticks did something similar to create resistance in stick controls to better simulate winds in flight games. I think it could even force the stick to move on its own as well.

This could be a great way to return gaming immersion back to its roots. The rumble pack was the last time there was a genuine (and successful) attempt to create immersion in "traditional" style gaming.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: January 30, 2016, 10:38:43 PM »
I look forward to resistive force feedback from Sony and Microsoft at E3 2017.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 31, 2016, 12:56:03 AM »
I look forward to resistive force feedback from Sony and Microsoft at E3 2017.

I mean, it's kind of funny how Microsoft and Sony both responded really droolly to the Wii with the Move and Kinect, and then even after the WiiU flopped there is still quiet acknowledgement about the value of the companion screen with various apps.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 31, 2016, 04:20:13 AM »
Sony jumped on that bandwagon well before it flopped.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 31, 2016, 04:21:46 PM »
Here's a question that popped into my head as I was glancing over my collection, what colour do you think NX games will be if any?

Xbox and PlayStation both have their iconic colours, the closest Nintendo has is white although that went away with Wii U, probably to try to differentiate it from Wii. While 3ds boxes are still white the 3ds has that red motif going on that differentiates it from DS.

I like Xenoblade 3d with it's black box in Europe so personally I'd go with something like that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 31, 2016, 04:32:40 PM »
Honestly, indigo. Just the game cases, not the actual console (black should be marketed for obvious reasons even if Nintendo released different colors). It's eye catching. The only potential problem is that Kinect cases were purple.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 31, 2016, 07:27:20 PM »
I think NX should be Light Grey, Dark Gray, and a hint of Red for lettering. There should be like a black stripe somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:29:33 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #636 on: February 01, 2016, 02:12:42 AM »
I liked the white clean look for everything on the Wii and Wii U.  However, I can see why Nintendo could want to distance themselves from that.  It really depends on what Nintendo will do with games.  Are they cartridge based, download only?  Disc? 

They should try to make sure the NX section looks distinct and easy to see in a store. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 01, 2016, 05:58:32 AM »
Most Wii U game cases are blue. Nintendo made the mistake of not using Blu Ray cases though it generally did a terrible job of differentiating itself from Wii so no surprises there. If Nintendo exclusively uses game cards for NX, it definitely should use smaller game cases in addition to a different color. Not does this help distinguish and distance NX from Wii and Wii U, but it also saves money on packaging and shipping. It doesn't seem like much looking at an individual game, but multiply that a few million times and the savings adds up which also helps drive the cost of Game cards are smaller and inherently more durable than optical discs. They don't need big, hard cases. 3DS game cases are noticably thinner and lighter due to using fewer materials than DS cases, mainly because they don't need to. In fact, 3DS cases are probably too big.

Nintendo shouldn't make the game cases too small because it stands to make NX games look insignificant. Packaging is important in the retail space. When facing forward on shelves, the box art should be large enough to draw attention to itself without consumers having to lean on and squint.

« Reply #638 on: February 01, 2016, 09:37:09 AM »
Why not go all the way down to CD sized cases? Nobody had a hard time buying CD's when they were new, or cassettes back in the dark days either. Just saying casing isn't that important in today's digital world, it needs to stand out but they can afford to take risks here because they need to look as different from the other guys as possible, if they are going for different, or as similar to the other guys if they are going for just better. They cases should be black Blu Ray sized or CD sized cases if they are discs, or RED, red makes the most sense as Nintendo color, but whatever the packaging is the least important feature to worry about so thanks for putting it out there now Nintendo will fixate on the packing at the expense of everything else.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 01, 2016, 03:43:43 PM »
I think that red is the most iconic/classic colour that Nintendo have, so that would make for good case design.

To that end, I think it's about time to bring back the "Entertainment System" name. It would actually make even more sense now than it did back then, since game consoles no longer just play games, they also have things like movie and TV services, so they truly are entertainment systems now. I'm not entirely sure what would be good to add to "Nintendo Entertainment System" since they can't use the exact same name again, though. NES 7, maybe?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #640 on: February 01, 2016, 04:48:33 PM »
Red must be a accent color.  It can never be the dominant color.  I like the idea of making the cases the size of CD cases even if it for a disc game.  It also saves room for the person storing the games. 

White, Grey and Red could be good. 

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 02, 2016, 08:41:36 AM »
I still don't think the NX will be all that big, at least not as big as a PS4 or XBONE. So I think an all red console with white and grey highlights would look great. It's distinct, immediately recognizable, and intriguing. If I saw a red box next to my friends TV, I would ask "what the hell is that?" It's color would have done its job.

And they should definitely bring back the NES name. It's nostalgic, easily understandable, and speaks to the features. They could get away with calling it the "NES" if they wanted to, but I do think they should call it the "Next Nintendo Entertainment System" or the NNES. It rolls off the tongue and it doesn't fight the war of numbers like it's rivals. There's probably a better original name out there, but it's hard to argue against using "NES" again.
black fairy tales are better at sports

« Reply #642 on: February 02, 2016, 08:50:01 AM »
They could use Microsoft logic and called it the Nintendo 8, or Nintendo Entertainment System 2 or Nintendo Entertainment System 8 and they beat PS4 and Xbox One in the name by numbers category. They really do need to let people know that they are still making consoles, when I tell people I own a Wii U they ask me what is it, so I stopped explaining it and instead of saying I own a Wii U I just say the new Nintendo system and they say, oh cool I didn't know they had a new one and then I can talk about it.

The fact they are the ONLY gaming company left from the early days still going is something they need to flaunt, they don't just have nostalgia on their side, if they play it right they have longevity on their side and they could use that in their marketing, not some silly "Mario grew up with you too" mushy crap but more like the Play it Loud, Now You Are Playing with Super Power, thing, something like, Hey Remember Atari, Sega, Coleco, Amiga, no well that's because you were too busy playing Nintendo and guess what we are still here, alive and kicking. It doesn't need those words but that message, they survived the the crash, they survived the 90's barrage of endless gaming devices, they survived the ipads and the androids, and they put Microsoft in their place. Nintendo needs to capitalize on that and get their damn balls back. This always apologizing hurts their image, if they really believe in the Wii U fucking have the back bone to show it, if they do NOT believe in the NX to have the balls to come out and say hey don't get a stupid out dated nothing PS4 that only plays the same tired **** your getting bored of by now, but a fucking NX that has all this new exciting plus really cool retro schick stuff you forgot how much you loved, and play off that, whatever the new feature is FUCKING OWN IT. They need their damn balls they need confidence that is all everything they do will be better if they act like they believe in it and stop apologizing for their **** ups.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline alexdickdyke

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 02, 2016, 11:12:04 AM »
I think that red is the most iconic/classic colour that Nintendo have, so that would make for good case design.

To that end, I think it's about time to bring back the "Entertainment System" name. It would actually make even more sense now than it did back then, since game consoles no longer just play games, they also have things like movie and TV services, so they truly are entertainment systems now. I'm not entirely sure what would be good to add to "Nintendo Entertainment System" since they can't use the exact same name again, though. NES 7, maybe?

NESX
XNES
NXES

X as in cross.
I really like the Nintendo Cross for some reason. And it would help to explain the dual platforms, if that is in fact what they are doing. 
Nintendo Cross Entertainment System? some form of this seeing as they (japan) like using cross in their game titles lately.
I like the blue colored cases, and purple could be cool too.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 02, 2016, 01:28:42 PM »
I find the macho posturing of Sega in it's heyday and Sony in its entirety to be absolutely asinine. While I agree that Nintendo should use their logevity to drive home the pint that they have been consistently profitable and a presence in the medium, they can pull it off with more finesse than "LOOK AT HOW FUCKING GREAT WE ARE". At the same time, they shouldn't rely too heavily on nostalgia as they have with recent 25/30th anniversary promotions.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: February 02, 2016, 05:29:49 PM »
Red must be a accent color.  It can never be the dominant color.
Eh, they've made red cases for Mario games and I see no problem with those.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: February 02, 2016, 08:05:37 PM »
Grey with red and black accents for the consoles and the cases. And bring back the old racetrack logo to the forefront.

I like the Nintendo Cross Entertainment System (NXES). Or Nintendo's Cross Entertainment System (NCES / Nintendo's CES). Heck, The Nintendo System (TNS) would be a nice, simple name.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: February 02, 2016, 08:55:50 PM »
A tidbit from President Kimishima - it seems that NX might interact with Miitomo somehow.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #648 on: February 02, 2016, 09:20:51 PM »
Grey with red and black accents for the consoles and the cases. And bring back the old racetrack logo to the forefront.

I like the Nintendo Cross Entertainment System (NXES). Or Nintendo's Cross Entertainment System (NCES / Nintendo's CES). Heck, The Nintendo System (TNS) would be a nice, simple name.

I think it is wise to give your console a name not totally associated with your corporate brand.  I think this is a lesson Nintendo learned wisely around the Nintendo 64 era, when people complained about game prices.  If Nintendo used The Nintendo System then if that system fails the name Nintendo is also associated with that failure.  However, right now, only Wii U and Wii by name association could be considered a failure.  Even though it is the Nintendo Wii...people just think Wii because of marketing.

So a Name like the Nintendo Cross Entertainment couldn't work because to fully understand what people are talking about you have to say Nintendo Cross.  Otherwise, you could just have a Cross because you are religious. 

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #649 on: February 03, 2016, 10:26:35 AM »
A tidbit from President Kimishima - it seems that NX might interact with Miitomo somehow.

I'm thinking Miitomo will interact directly with Miiverse, so the NX should be able to interact that way.  Let you add people, post, check your 'yeahs', etc.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.