Author Topic: Could e-reader make a comeback?  (Read 1580 times)

Could e-reader make a comeback?
« on: February 19, 2016, 01:33:41 PM »
Okay so there are supposedly Amiibo cards now being released. They way I understand it is they work just like regular Amiibo you tap them to the NFC reader on the Wii U or 3DS and it unlocks content in the game. Now this is sort of reminiscent of the old e-reader in some ways. I was thinking is there a possibility for Nintendo to adapt the new Amiibo cards to be more like that where say they make a Pokemon Amiibo game that works just like the old Pokemon e-Reader game? Or is that basically what they are doing with these Amiibo cards or are they just a way to unlock the Amiibo content minus the toys?

I am wondering if the Amiibo card was Nintendo's plan all along and someone turned it into toys when they realized Skylanders and the other one were really popular. Personally I loved the e-Reader and the GBA connectivity, despite them not catching on ideals like that which are unique to Nintendo are one of the reasons I still care about them as a company. Saw what you will about their games or hardware but one thing is true, they ALWAYS find a way to try new ideas, even when everyone else is just chugging along doing the same old thing.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Could e-reader make a comeback?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 04:05:53 PM »
The e-reader concept is kind of being used with that Wii U app that demos random VC games (amiibo tap?).  But I could see amiibo cards being used for Pokemon for things like giveaways in the main games, or adding actual cards in a new TCG game.

I like the concept of amiibo cards in that they can give the same functionality as amiibos, but be cheaper to produce/own.  It's just hard for me to see too many concepts where it works better than actual amiibo.  I know Happy Home Designer uses them, but I'm not sure what else (other than what I mentioned) would work.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 04:12:42 PM »
With stuff like the e-reader and Amiibo it just doesn't fit what I want to do with a Nintendo console or any console for that matter.  I just want to play games.  I don't want to tap and action figure or swipe a card, I just want to put the cartridge or disc into the machine, hit the power button and play videogames.  And to not just pick on Nintendo I don't really care about non-gaming features either.  Half the time I forget that I actually own a Blu-ray player because of my PS3.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 05:53:11 PM »
I think if they use the amiibo cards again, it'll be for the next gen Pokemon game or possibly for Pokken Tournament.  With the amount of characters in those games, I could see Nintendo trying to cash in on allowing people to pay to catch them all.  Maybe people can catch them all through the game or pay for the cards and get them that way.