Author Topic: Splatoon!! WELCOME - TO DYE!  (Read 131232 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Splatoon!! WELCOME - TO DYE!
« Reply #225 on: May 30, 2015, 03:04:34 PM »
I think I'm probably done with Splatoon till Nintendo patches in more maps & features, because playing the same mode on the same map 5-6 times in a row because Nintendo only puts 2 up at a time & only cycles them every few hours is getting really old. Overall, nice to see Nintendo doing New IP, but this is pretty much a rental at best right now.
Do us a favor and stop commenting on games you're obviously not interested in. If you paid 60 bucks to play this obviously "content lacking" game on launch, that's your own fault. Other people would be satisfied with a game that cycles maps as it allows them to become to accustomed to the maps that are feasible to their time zone. But I guess not everyone is an entitled gamer.

And thanks for the spoiler in your previous post, by the way. I know, I know, I probably should have expected it, coming into a thread about a recently released game, except most people would have the decency to spoiler battle tactics.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #226 on: May 30, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »
Does anyone want to play tonight or even right now? I am in the CST (GMT -6) zone of time. I think Disco Stu is a NWR user. I played with him last night. Was fun. :)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #227 on: May 30, 2015, 04:23:31 PM »
Does anyone want to play tonight or even right now? I am in the CST (GMT -6) zone of time. I think Disco Stu is a NWR user. I played with him last night. Was fun. :)

I added you to my friend list.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 30, 2015, 05:58:45 PM »
After redeeming some coupons & trading in Wii U Kirby which I was less than enamored with, I got Splatoon yesterday for about $15.  Played for about an hour - Didn't find the first single player level that fun, maybe they pick up. 

I love the multiplayer matches I played, but I've gotten trounced every time, look forward to working out the best strategies over the next couple of days.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 30, 2015, 09:39:14 PM »
I think I'm probably done with Splatoon till Nintendo patches in more maps & features, because playing the same mode on the same map 5-6 times in a row because Nintendo only puts 2 up at a time & only cycles them every few hours is getting really old. Overall, nice to see Nintendo doing New IP, but this is pretty much a rental at best right now.
Do us a favor and stop commenting on games you're obviously not interested in. If you paid 60 bucks to play this obviously "content lacking" game on launch, that's your own fault. Other people would be satisfied with a game that cycles maps as it allows them to become to accustomed to the maps that are feasible to their time zone. But I guess not everyone is an entitled gamer.

And thanks for the spoiler in your previous post, by the way. I know, I know, I probably should have expected it, coming into a thread about a recently released game, except most people would have the decency to spoiler battle tactics.

And people wonder why I have nothing but utter contempt for Nintendo fanboys.  ::)

1. I've always been "interested" in this game. You can go in my posts as far as the original reveal to see that.

2. You can look at every post I've made in this thread: not once have I claimed Nintendo "mislead" or "lied" about the content in this game. I've made it clear in other threads that I know very well how incomplete Nintendo pushed this game out. However, I'm responsible for a podcast that talks about Nintendo games on occasion and this is the only Nintendo game for the next 3 months, so yeah I picked it up.  I put about 10 or so hours into it, finished the SP campaign & played some MP, and I feel like I've seen all this game has to offer right now. I liked the SP missions overall and I like the MP experience. I've merely said I'm done playing the game for now until Nintendo puts out more content, so you can take your self-righteous, defensive indignation and shove it.

3. The issue with the maps isn't that they cycle: it's that they rarely cycle, and so for any 1 play session you generally only have 2 maps to play on. For me, that usually translated into 5-6 matches on the same map. It gets old quickly, and I don't see why Nintendo doesn't just let players vote on what map they want to play on like every other online MP shooter on the market. Nintendo's doing everything possible to stretch out what little content they have as long as possible, and it shows.

4. As for the "spoiler" comment, get over it. This is a MP-centric game and I haven't seen anyone else talking about the SP. You can't really talk about how terribly that final boss is designed without explaining why, and I didn't reveal anything about what the boss is, which is what a spoiler would actually be. I know Nintendo fans have this weird entitlement where they're so used to not having story that they transfer the concept of a "spoiler" to gameplay, but no one else cares.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 30, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
Incidentally, once Nintendo got a sufficient number of modes out there, I could see this being a good candidate for a Killzone "Warzone"-style compilation mode. In the Killzone series, "Warzone" is a combination of all the other game types, which the teams play in sequence on the same map in the same session. For a few minutes you could be playing team deathmatch, then for another few minutes it could be capture the flag, and then for another few minutes King of the Hill, etc. The overall winner goes to the team that won the majority of the events. I've found it to be a good way to keep the MP experience fresh since the rules keep changing, and with the way Splatoon already constantly goes back & forth in short 3 minute rounds it could be a neat way of doing a longer play mode.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #231 on: May 30, 2015, 09:57:59 PM »
I played with ShyGuy from here, I believe. Played a bunch of matches against people from another forum, and then there was a fun power surge. :( Oh, well. The battery on the GamePad was almost out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 30, 2015, 11:08:33 PM »
Well, I played a bit with Zach and Phil, they are better than I am. Game needs more emotes. Booyah! Really liked the load screen mini game, and the single player is pretty good so far!

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 30, 2015, 11:50:44 PM »
I will admit I came off as overly aggressive, and for that, I apologize. But the joke's on you, Broodwars. I'm not a Nintendo fan, so if you want to say I'm stupid or entitled, don't hide it behind that moniker.

I'm not being defending the game, either. Unlike you, I haven't purchased it yet, though my reasons for doing so are pretty much similar to your reasons for being "done" with the game- it's unfinished and won't be what it could be until around August or later. I don't need the immediacy of the experience right now.

Also, gameplay is what I care about when it comes to games, not story. So spoiling a boss fight mechanic is a bit insulting to me, personally.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 30, 2015, 11:56:16 PM »
So not only motion controls make my wrists ache, but they also give me motion sicknes.

Fantastic.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 31, 2015, 12:26:04 AM »
Yeah, my hand was sore after a few hours as well.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 31, 2015, 12:41:34 AM »
Yeah, my hand was sore after a few hours as well.
I know this feeling...

Oh wait, are we talking about Splatoon?

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 31, 2015, 12:47:14 AM »
I stuck with the motion controls for my first 40 minutes of playing the game and I really think they offer a superior and more tactile control over aiming, provided you have steady hands. While you can roll (not rotate) the GamePad to move the view on the X-axis, it's being able to have fine control over the Y-axis that is the strength of the motion control. This melds with Splatoon nicely as there is a lot of verticality on every map and shot ink are affected by gravity. The problems with using a stick for aiming is the short throw of the stick and the time it takes for a stick to return to the dead zone. The short throw limits the practical range of acceleration of moving your cursor, while the scant nanoseconds it takes for a stick to return to the dead zone may lead to your cursor overshooting your target. With motion controls, you have a wider range of acceleration to moving your cursor, as well as a near instantaneous return to the dead zone (a la stopping your movement of your mouse). Granted, provided you have extremely steady hands (the camera is quite sensitive to the gyroscope) and wrists of strong rubber.

I've only played for 40 minutes of multiplayer, just reaching level 4. This time has left me ecstatic for game. To describe my feelings briefly: Everything just looks, sounds, and feels right like how other shooters such as Quake 3 Arena, Unreal Tournament, Halo, and Call of Duty do. Splatoon has that X factor, that special sauce, that extra care in it that has your senses meld with the game. This is in contrast to lesser, near-forgotten shooters such as Section 8: Prejudice or Binary Domain where something in the visuals, audio, controls, or mechanics just isn't as good as you would like it to be.

As for the limited map pool and restrictive map rotations: I don't mind it. Having played multiplayer shooters on PC, I've gotten used to 24/7 single map sessions. You have games such as Unreal Tournament that have dozens of maps but only a handful that you want to actually want to play on. From looking at footage, all the maps seem to have their own distinct looks, corners, heights, and restrictions that will be fun to learn. Frankly, I don't know why it warrants such heavy criticism when the best challenge a multiplayer shooter can offer is learning and navigating every corner of a map :p /elitism

Lastly, given the puzzle-like nature of Splatoon's Hero Mode, it isn't entirely out of the question that describing how to beat a boss may be a spoiler. Granted, Nintendo has been making the solutions to their combat puzzles in games such as Zelda more obvious as the company ages.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 12:52:46 AM by Enner »

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #238 on: May 31, 2015, 02:16:57 AM »
Well, I played a bit with Zach and Phil, they are better than I am. Game needs more emotes. Booyah! Really liked the load screen mini game, and the single player is pretty good so far!

It's just that we have more practice with the online mode, as the great rank differences showed. *nods*

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2015, 11:01:29 AM »
Played with Michael and Luke, and a Zachary but I'm not sure if he's the same as on nwr. Good games, we were constantly matched up with overseas people. Makes me wonder how large the American crowd is or isn't.

The game seems to be about controlling choke points after building a base paint layer. Can be frustrating when you have a team of lone wolves versus a team who works together.

Question: does anyone get the scoring system? I have yet to score over 1000 points. I feel like I lay a lot of ink, I get some good kills in using a variety of means... I don't know what to focus on.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 11:05:34 AM by bustin98 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2015, 12:00:24 PM »
Laying ink on clean ground is worth more than inking over the opponent, isn't it? It seems to make the special meter go up faster.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 31, 2015, 12:01:11 PM »
Question: does anyone get the scoring system? I have yet to score over 1000 points. I feel like I lay a lot of ink, I get some good kills in using a variety of means... I don't know what to focus on.
Your score is the area you covered with ink. Kills/deaths don't matter.

You get bonus +300 if your team won.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 31, 2015, 01:40:57 PM »
Also, apparently walls don't factor into the overall percentage for...some reason, so only spray those if you need to climb a wall.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 31, 2015, 01:57:15 PM »
Also, apparently walls don't factor into the overall percentage for...some reason, so only spray those if you need to climb a wall.
It would be impossible to see the ink on the walls using a 2d map, so they don't count but can still provide a strategic advantage.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 31, 2015, 03:16:08 PM »
The .52 caliber gun seems to be my favorite so far, but rollers and snipers are very popular as well. I was disappointed with the rang of the sniper rifles.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 31, 2015, 03:46:52 PM »
I can't get the hang of the sniper riffles. I love the rollers but I like the overall versatility of the Splattershot. Right now the Tentatek Splattershot and the Krat-On Roller are my main loadouts.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 31, 2015, 04:39:02 PM »
Your score is the area you covered with ink. Kills/deaths don't matter.

Splattering rivals do cause them to explode in a fair chunk of your team's ink. The respawn time after a splat is considerable enough for a roller to cover a large chunk of ground. An inkling or a pair that is focused on splats and shutting down the bad guys may be effective if the rest of the team is diligent in painting the ground.

If the walls counted toward the win condition or the special meter, it would be terrible for the pace of the game. Victory would go to those who are compulsive enough to paint every wall rather than comprehensively pushing the bad guys back to their spawn point. It is the better design decision for the walls to be worth nothing except as an opportunity to gain a higher position.

Now, I do wonder in areas such as the skate park if there's a point on the curved areas where it doesn't count towards the win percentage.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #247 on: May 31, 2015, 05:00:30 PM »
Would anyone like to play this evening? :)

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 31, 2015, 05:15:31 PM »
I'll probably be on at some point tonight.
Mission...complete?

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #249 on: May 31, 2015, 05:34:52 PM »
Feel free to add my NNID if we aren't friends already. So hard to tell who's a friend and who isn't online when Mii names are being used online and not NNID names! :O