Author Topic: Overwatch: Heroes Never Die, but they do get nerfed to oblivion...  (Read 4936 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Overwatch: Heroes Never Die, but they do get nerfed to oblivion...
« on: September 05, 2019, 01:12:24 PM »

Overwatch is finally coming to Switch on October 15, 2019 just as the game is getting a massive overhaul to it's Quick Play and Competitive structure. You can currently pre-load the game, and the $40 version includes the following:

- 3 months of Nintendo Switch Online (you will get the code instantly, but can only redeem it once the game goes live)
- Pre-order bonus Widowmaker Noire Skin
- "Immersive gyroscopic motion controls"
- 31 heroes and 28 maps
- These 15 skins:

So far there appears to confirmation that Iron Galaxy (Diablo 3, Skyrim) handled the porting alongside Blizzard.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:16:45 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch: Heroes Never Die, but they do get nerfed to oblivion...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 01:33:37 PM »
Overwatch has always intrigued me. I’m a little concerned over the speed. If a first person shooter moves too fast, I can’t really play them. I’m getting eye surgery to improve my vision in December (not Lasik) so I wonder if that will allow me to play first person shooters.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 02:03:15 PM »
Is there going to be a physical version or is this download-only?

The only problem with having a family account is that these bundles always include an individual membership which cannot be added onto families.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 03:13:30 PM »
The end of the trailer shows a physical game box, but it has the white banner at the top stating “Full Game Download/Game Card Not Included” so it looks like it’s just a code in the box.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 07:16:29 PM »
Considering the kind of game this is, I wonder if you'll be able to transfer your unlocks from the other versions. The game requires an online account to play, so it's not like Blizzard wouldn't be able to check. I highly doubt you will be able to carry over your unlocks, but it'd be one of the few reasons to buy this version.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 09:05:37 AM »
If there is it will probably be a one time thing between PC and Switch. I can't see it though. At best you'll be able to link you BattleNet to your Nintendo Account and continue to get the extras Blizzard gives out to everyone else.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 01:53:04 PM »
Speaking of, is there going to be cross-platform play? If not, seems like the playerbase would be pretty small.

The end of the trailer shows a physical game box, but it has the white banner at the top stating “Full Game Download/Game Card Not Included” so it looks like it’s just a code in the box.
Lame, that always seems pretty pointless to me. I guess it makes sense there wouldn't be a physical version though as this basically looks like a free-to-play game that you have to pay for, which is a little strange in itself.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 08:58:46 PM »
Linking accounts & getting my PC unlocks would sway me a bit. For starters, I already have Noire Widowmaker & 6 of the other 15 in the pre-order.   
Mission...complete?

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 10:12:58 PM »
Speaking of, is there going to be cross-platform play? If not, seems like the playerbase would be pretty small.

Overwatch does not have crossplay. Still, I think this will sell well enough to have a healthy playerbase.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 11:34:51 PM »
There will not, in fact, be cross-platform unlock integration, thus removing any reason to buy this version if you already own it elsewhere.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/09/blizzard_has_no_plans_to_add_cross-platform_progression_to_overwatch_right_now
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 01:57:15 AM »
Well there goes that for me.

For those who are into competitive play there's still some reason to consider re-buying it if you think you'll perform better with the gyro controls over keyboard & mouse or traditional controllers. May climb a rank or two.
Mission...complete?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 05:55:24 PM »
Hmm, not keep to pay another $30-$40 for this on Switch, but if it adds cross-play down the road it would sweeten the deal. I may cave and pick it up anyways if I can spare it in my gaming budget if enough folks I know also get it. If not, then I should probably get my butt into Paladins for real.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 11:19:13 PM »
I did this quick and dirty comparison on Twitter but I might as well drop it here as well.

Base PS4

Switch Trailer

PC on Low Settings and 75% Render Scale

Aside from the obvious stuff it looks like the maps themselves will be taken from low settings (see the lack of chains on the sides) but the character models are more fleshed out and will include shadows (albeit less detailed). Digital Foundry did an early look at the trailer but found everything as advertised (900p and 30FPS). Of course it's a trailer so you'd expect that, still need to see the game running.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 03:23:35 PM »
New interview in Vooks details a bit of the Gyro and Pointer Controls the game will have. There's also a lot of interesting tidbits as well about developing the game for Switch.

https://www.vooks.net/talking-overwatch-on-nintendo-switch-with-producer-wes-yanagi/

Controls for the Nintendo Switch version of Overwatch is basically the same as the other consoles. However, one big addition is gyro-aim support. With gyro-aiming, you can tilt the Switch or Pro Controller to give a little nudge to your aim and help line-up shots.  Or, you can detach the Joy-Cons and point it at the screen like a laser pointer. One of our designers plays this way and dominates.