Author Topic: And now it is time for a list of the true Nintendo Gaming Heroes.  (Read 13872 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: And now it is time for a list of the true Nintendo Gaming Heroes.
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 01:46:58 PM »
I was thinking that if they make an upgraded model of Switch, then one thing it would do is have a better Home screen and a theme shop, sort of like 3DS. Upgraded hardware could probably handle that stuff and still have the snappy loading of the Home menu.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 02:23:05 AM »
I assumed that would have happened by now. With the Splatoon 2 & Let's Go themed Switches & joy controllers a home screen shop to match them seemed like a sure in.
Mission...complete?

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2019, 02:46:25 AM »
I really miss the flourish the Wii U had with basically everything. It's too bad it's CPU was a joke so it took half an hour to loaf anything.

Offline regmcfly

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 02:22:31 PM »
I am here to let you know I fired up my WiiU yesterday for some PROPER Mario Maker

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 02:29:57 PM »
I am still playing Wii U regularly but mine is starting to have some serious slow down. I think it's the external hard drive. I am using a powered WD drive that is rather old. Does anyone have a recommendation for an external hard drive that is currently available?

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2020, 03:43:53 PM »
I am still playing Wii U regularly but mine is starting to have some serious slow down. I think it's the external hard drive. I am using a powered WD drive that is rather old. Does anyone have a recommendation for an external hard drive that is currently available?

Been using a standard Toshiba Canvio Basic 500GB model for 3+ years. Using a USB Micro -> 2x USB-A Y-cable to keep it powered, since the Wii U supposedly has underpowered USB ports. Works perfectly fine (knocks on wood) but it does take 2 USB ports.
I believe Pokepal talked a lot about an external SSD which works off a single USB port, but don't remember the thread where he did. That sounds even better, maybe it even loads faster? Not sure if the console has enough I/O bandwidth to really take advantage of it.

Offline regmcfly

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2020, 03:49:45 PM »
Yep, I'm using one that takes up two USB ports. Takes a few seconds for everything to load into the menu but works fine following.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2020, 04:57:13 PM »
I am here to let you know I fired up my WiiU yesterday for some PROPER Mario Maker

I was just thinking of doing that. I saw MM2 was on sale right now and it got me thinking of how I need to pop in the first one and get playing it. I told Mop it up I'd play through her courses once I got the game and instead I've sat on the game for a couple years.

I'm also contemplating on getting an external hard drive for my Wii U. When playing Tropical Freeze, it needed an update and this required me going through and deleting other updates for games to make room. I've still got a lot of Wii U games to get through and chances are they'll have updates.

Moreover, next month I'm going deep into XCX finally. After playing XC:DE, I've got an itch for more  XC gameplay. It helped me understand a lot of what was happening when I first played XCX 5 years ago and now I want to apply those lessons. I'm thinking I'll start over to refresh myself completely on the story and in case I was making poor choices at the start with my characters. Plus, I have 10 days off at the end of the month and I'm contemplating adding a week's vacation for 17 days of leisure. But I'll want those XCX performance downloads and that data is big so the external hard drive would be a good place to store it.

In any case, I will continue to be a true Nintendo Gaming Hero and use my Wii U.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2020, 11:53:24 PM »

Been using a standard Toshiba Canvio Basic 500GB model for 3+ years. Using a USB Micro -> 2x USB-A Y-cable to keep it powered, since the Wii U supposedly has underpowered USB ports. Works perfectly fine (knocks on wood) but it does take 2 USB ports.
I believe Pokepal talked a lot about an external SSD which works off a single USB port, but don't remember the thread where he did. That sounds even better, maybe it even loads faster? Not sure if the console has enough I/O bandwidth to really take advantage of it.
The SSD i'm using is just a cheapo one I had lying around in an enclosure. With how Small the Wii U's library is I don't see anyone needing more than 256gb unless you are someone like insanolord who buys too many games and buys them digitally. I've heard of people using SD cards with USB adapters or flash drives but it's my understanding that the Wii U is pretty aggressive with how much it writes to it's external storage and the kind of flash memory that SD cards and Flash Drives use is not designed to deal with a device that constantly writes and overwrites data so I can't recommend that, especially with how cheap SSDs are nowadays.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:13:59 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2020, 12:10:26 AM »
I do buy too many games and am all digital and I still didn't need that much space. There weren't enough big games on the Wii U. Most of the library is either first party Nintendo stuff, which is usually optimized pretty well to not take up a ton of space, or indie stuff, which is almost all small in general.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2020, 12:36:24 AM »
The Wii U definitely can't really take advantage of the speed of an SSD but it is worth noting that SSDs are completely silent and it does also allow you to theoretically have the drive, a LAN adapter, and a gamecube adapter hooked up all at once without taking up an extra outlet which is nice. I personally just use an SD card in the SD card slot for Wii homebrew stuff and make sure to back it up regularly.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:42:34 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2020, 02:38:06 PM »
The Wii U definitely can't really take advantage of the speed of an SSD but it is worth noting that SSDs are completely silent and it does also allow you to theoretically have the drive, a LAN adapter, and a gamecube adapter hooked up all at once without taking up an extra outlet which is nice. I personally just use an SD card in the SD card slot for Wii homebrew stuff and make sure to back it up regularly.

Yeah, I think I will get an SSD. Should I be concerned about compatibility? Will most of the currently available ones work with Wii U. Also, for SD cards what is the largest size it will support?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2020, 02:27:09 AM »
Officially, the largest SD card it can support is 32gb but like the 3DS you can go past that if you format the SD card to FAT32. It can take a while to load the SD card channel on Wii Mode with a larger SD card though.