Author Topic: Happy 20th Birthday NWR!  (Read 2457 times)

Offline John Rairdin

• Director
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Happy 20th Birthday NWR!
« on: March 07, 2019, 01:38:24 AM »

We can almost drink!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/video/49915/happy-20th-birthday-nwr

On this day, twenty years ago, Billy Berghammer began the website that would grow into what we all know as NintendoWorldReport.com. Join us as we revisit the history of our site and give thanks to all of you for twenty years of love and support.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 20th Birthday NWR!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 09:55:31 AM »
Here's to 100 more.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Wanderlei

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 11:04:47 AM »
Well done all.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 11:49:20 AM »
I'm not a NWR forum old timer, but have been here before the Wii U dark days. 

Thank you to those who founded the site long before I came across it from a co-worker recommendation, those who work on the written, podcast, and video content, and to the people who frequent the site.  NWR is one of the few spots I hit on the internet regularly because of the community that's developed here, and it's been a wonderful experience to contribute to the discussion taking place, even if it's slower than it has been at past times. 

NWR is one of the bright spots of the internet, and I hope to be coming here 20 years from now and see that it's plugging along as strong as ever.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 12:09:44 PM »
Congratulations!  20 years just seems so weird.  I think I discovered the site in late 2000 or so when I was looking for any info I could on the upcoming Gamecube.

The weird thing about 20 years is that when this site was founded no web site had been around for 20 years.  The idea of sites lasting for decades like that of a newspaper or magazine didn't seem like a reality when the world wide web was less than ten years old and the majority for internet users had probably only had access for five years or less.  Hell, back then "internet user" was a term.  These days an internet user is essentially any human being living in the developed world.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 12:58:39 PM »
Twenty years? Where has my life went? I think I've been here for about seventeen of them .

Offline MrPanda

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Mr. Panda's Video Game Reviews
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 01:34:10 PM »
Happy 20th Birthday NWR! I've been a fan of the site since it was Planet GameCube. So glad to see it stronger than ever. Keep up the awesome work!
My Nintendo Reviews YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/mrpanda2002

Mr. Panda's Video Game Reviews: http://mrpanda2002.wordpress.com/

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 02:50:14 PM »
Happy birthday NWR!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 03:46:56 PM »
It's really quite amazing to be around for so long!

I think I found the site sometime in 2001 when looking for information on the then-upcoming GameCube, and I believe it was here that I read articles from someone who had attended the system's launch in Japan.

Offline Smoolanian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 10:59:35 PM »
I've been a dedicated reader of this project since the PlanetGamecube days in 2000. I've checked this site more regularly than any other over the last 19 years.

Through all that time, I've never cared to make an account and drop a comment, but this retrospective inspired me finally to say "thank you" to the people who made and continue to make this site a unique and trusted source for accurate news and thoughtful commentary on Nintendo's work.

I've been impressed by how the writing staff nowadays seems to have an even more widely-informed knowledge of games and gaming, reporting on a breadth of indie work out there rather than primarily covering the major first party releases we used to claw after (though that's partly thanks to Nintendo finally providing a solid platform for indie work). I've learned more about video games thanks to your efforts and have especially enjoyed the deep reporting on developers and the feature articles that put games in the historical, economic, and social contexts that birthed them.

I've gotten the impression that some of you staff members were kids like me following the site for a long time but who are now carrying the torch. Thank you! I'm glad that for 19 years and counting I can always look to Nintendo World Report to brighten my day with an article or video that satisfies an apparently insatiable thirst for Nintendo news. Keep doing what you're doing.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 11:24:16 PM »
20 years..Wow! I remember those early days of PGC and watching Billy's JPN launch videos. The forums are where I made some great friends from across the world. I've even had the pleasure to meet some of the staff (Billy, J. Metts, TYP, Windy, Bloodworth, and more) at events when I worked for another site. While I don't game nearly as much as I used to, its great to still see this site thriving and and people still appreciating it. Here's to another 20+ years of providing the best Nintendo coverage out there!
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 01:55:54 PM »
Congrats on the anniversary, NWR!

I've been here a while and it's pretty crazy to think about how checking this site and the forums has been a part of my daily routine for so long.

Here's to many more!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 10:20:01 PM »
Wow & congrats!

Accoridng to my profile I came here in 10 years ago last January. Sheesh where does the time go? Oh yeah, gaming...
Mission...complete?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 11:06:01 PM »
I've been here the whole time. I was disappointed in Wikipedia the other day removing Billy Berghammer's name from history and all.

With the help of The Wayback machine we should restore it with detailed information.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160925001927/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Berghammer
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 11:11:24 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 09:34:31 PM »
To celebrate the occasion Rick Powers should come back to the forums and lock a bunch of threads for being redundant.

Offline Morningshark

• Xander Morningstar Animation Junkie
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 10:37:10 PM »
I am humbled to be a part of the site. Here is to the next 20!
Xander Morningstar
NWR Associate Editor and Video Producer
http://www.xandermorningstar.com