Author Topic: Official XFL Discussion: Vince Mcmahon is the Man.  (Read 6075 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Official XFL Discussion: Vince Mcmahon is the Man.
« on: December 19, 2018, 12:56:56 AM »
Get hyped man! It's coming back.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 01:29:43 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Official XFL Discussion: Vince Mcmahon is the Man.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 02:44:58 AM »
XFL sucks, Alliance of American Football forever!
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 04:30:51 PM »
Aaaand it's gone.

But seriously, it really sucks that the XFL was looking pretty good but has to fold over the pandemic.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 04:40:55 PM »
And yet he kept Wrestlemania going when the smart thing would have been to delay that for now.
Mission...complete?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 05:30:56 PM »
Well, there's no way you can do football under social distancing guidelines.  Each team has to field 11 guys and you're already over the limit. And even renting a football stadium with zero fans is insanely cost prohibitive.

With WrestleMania, at least he had the option to pretape the matches in multiple venues, which they did.  And in most of the cases, you really don't need ten whole people to film a match between two guys.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 02:23:07 AM »
I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to invest time and money into something that fails, try it again almost twenty years later having appeared to have learned from the mistakes of the first time... and have it fail due to some worldwide disaster that you could not possibly have foreseen or done anything to prevent.  I'm sure Vince McMahon has thought about the XFL off and on for the last 19 years only to essentially get fucked and he doesn't have another 19 years.

And he's not the only one.  There are probably many people that had some dream about starting a business and planned it out for years and then had it open mere months, weeks or even days before they were ordered to close indefinitely.  McMahon is a millionaire with a legitimately successful company to his name.  There are others for which this was their big risky venture and its failure could bankrupt them, and now it probably has due to no fault of their own.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 03:36:26 PM »
He's starting Live WWE shows again aparently next week... gotta keep that income flow after all the sunk cost into the shuttered XFL

https://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/wwe-raw-smackdown-nxt-resume-live-performance-center/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 03:56:54 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 07:13:55 PM »
They probably ran out of pre-taped content and decided there was too much ratings dip from playing classic content during the weekly shows.  Going live seems really ambitious though.  They should probably try front-loading some content again.  I also have to question if the USA and FOX contracts required a fixed number of live/new shows that they're having trouble getting around.  ESPN+ only recently cancelled UFC events, so there's not much telling how other things are being impacted.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 08:26:12 PM »
AEW has been doing shows in empty venues (insert joke about no one watching AEW if you must). I saw a clip of Matt Hardy debuting. It’s just weird without the crowd.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 09:11:06 PM »
They've also done "secret locations" to keep fans from trying to sneak in.  Unfortunately for them, they don't have any central locations they can film from just yet.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 11:02:42 AM »
There's also a limit to how many pretaped shows they can have in both their contracts (which they normally use for TV taped during European tours).

Still, Vince managed to outcarny Dana "We're going to buy an island and basically do Mortal Kombat" White.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 11:48:45 AM »
A TV network voiding a contract over too many pre-taped shows under these circumstances would be ridiculous.  But historically the WWF (I'm using the old name on purpose here) would draw strong enough ratings that the network would waive the pre-taped clause so as to keep them on the network.  If they were doing big ratings another network would be waiting to grab them up.

But in these recent contracts the WWE basically took these networks for a ride.  The ratings are falling but the WWE secured some big guaranteed money because the networks are desperate and think of wrestling as PVR-proof content, similar to live sports.  But with the ratings being terrible before COVID-19 became an issue it was likely that FOX for example was looking for a way to get out of what they considered a bad deal.  So if they can use a clause about pre-taped content to get out of it, they're going to, even though it is totally in bad faith.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 03:30:45 AM »
Gov DeSanits of Florida, has OFFICIALLY named the WWE as an ESSENTIAL BUSINESS
https://www.tmz.com/2020/04/13/wwe-named-essential-business-by-florida-governor/

I'm not gonna go into the reasons this is stupid and corrupt, or the whole reason behind it, but he short answer to everything involving this is MONEY.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 05:31:09 PM »
It should be noted that it isn't WWE-specific.  Any "professional sport with a national audience" is now essential.

It should also be noted that almost certainly a deal was made to get the ruling from the governor.  If true, it's pretty political, so I'll save that for the other thread.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 07:06:51 PM »
It should be noted that it isn't WWE-specific.  Any "professional sport with a national audience" is now essential.

So what you're saying is that the NBA, NHL and MLB are all going to resume their seasons exclusively in Florida.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2020, 07:30:37 PM »

So what you're saying is that the NBA, NHL and MLB are all going to resume their seasons exclusively in Florida.

Only if Nevada (Vegas) doesn't beat them to it.