Author Topic: Anyone here try Paladins?  (Read 13265 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Anyone here try Paladins?
« on: August 06, 2018, 07:32:43 PM »
It's gone free-to-play on Switch now. I've been playing it with a couple of friends, it's pretty fun! It's probably the closest thing the Switch will get to Overwatch...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here try Paladins?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 07:42:03 PM »
I played a bit of it on PS4, and I thought it was a bit overcomplicated & yet too limited for my tastes. You have to manage a card-based loadout, and then purchasing upgrades ON that loadout on top of managing the shifting needs of a battle. When I last played it, it had 2 whole modes, and they weren't that different.

It seemed like a cool game, but I just couldn't get a feel for the characters & was kind of bored with the limited game modes.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 09:51:37 AM »
I tried it! The menus seem complicated, and I haven't quite figured them out yet. The combat feels much better than Fortnite though.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 06:55:57 PM »
I downloaded it. When I get over my Skyrim addiction problem needs play-through on Switch I'll give it some more time. How would you compare it to Fortnight as a multiplayer shooter experience on Switch?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 09:54:32 PM »
It feels more like a traditional arena shooter, with a smaller map and more frantic action.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 09:21:03 AM »
I've played a bit of Paladins. It's pretty good although it can get confusing with the card system and loadouts which is probably why I don't think it's much fun in competitive. But as a pick up and play game for a bit it's pretty fun.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »
I tried it! The menus seem complicated, and I haven't quite figured them out yet. The combat feels much better than Fortnite though.
Yeah, the interface could definitely be better, but oh well. The game's a lot of fun with friends. Do you have a time you typically play? It'd be nice to party up with some NWRers.

How would you compare it to Fortnite as a multiplayer shooter experience on Switch?
Honestly, I think they're rather different to really be compared. I think that's just happening because they're both free. But if I must, I'd say Paladins is way better. It has lots more action and variety.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 04:19:19 PM »
Currently, all of the characters are available as a preview, so now's a good time to try out the game!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 05:23:35 PM »
I'll give it a try once I satisfy my Monster Hunter addiction.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 10:45:39 AM »
It's a fun game. People should try it.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 12:52:53 AM »
Been giving it a go recently. Reminds me of Overwatch but the differences put it ahead in my opinion. I've never been really good at FPS games with gyro aiming with a 3rd person view helps a lot.

As of now, a few characters are available at the start(Ruckus being my fav) & others you can try as they rotate in & out every couple of days. Suprised that after 2 weeks I was able to buy-unlock 2 characters using just the in game currency you earn while playing.
Mission...complete?

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 09:57:32 AM »
Just a heads up for any potential competitive players. Tried competitive mode for the first time & discovered to my horror that you're locked in first-person view. Might not bother some players, but if you're like me & prefer 3rd person over first it's crippling.
Mission...complete?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 03:02:05 PM »
The reason they do that is to make sure that Ranked matches are on an even playing field. It would be nice if they offered a separate queue for third-person view, like how the different control methods are separated, though that may be spreading things out too much.

The only time I ever played Ranked was for challenges that required it. Otherwise, it takes too long to get into a game, and doesn't really offer anything over the usual Quick Play queue aside from both teams having to use different chumpions from each other. In fact, it offers less, since only one mode is available.

What time do you usually play, GK? It would be fun to team up with you sometime; I've only ever played with an NWR crew one time, would be nice to do more.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:04:13 PM by Mop it up »

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 06:08:15 PM »
Only ever did a single placement game but yeah, it does take a while to get started.

Mainly on weekday mornings where I'm killing time by doing some quests, but I'm sure I can find some time for weekends. I'm usually healing or front line so if you need a pocket healer or a bullet sponge on top of the objective, I'm game.
Mission...complete?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 08:28:07 PM »
I often use support and frontline as well, though part of that is because most people don't seem to want to play them so I choose one to help round out the team. I now have all the chumpions unlocked so I can try playing whatever might help a team.

Now that I think of it, I don't believe I have you added on Switch yet. What's your code? Mine's SW-3118-4346-3322

Do you ever hang out in the NWR Discord chat? Might be a good place to use to chat between games.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 10:53:11 PM »
I just pck those roles because I'm a lousy shot. Though I've been slowly trying other roles too.

We already have each other added. We actually played a few rounds of Splatoon 2 way back. My username's Liger Mask these days.

Nah I can never think of anything meaningful to say so I usually ignore the server. But sounds like a good idea for talking strategy or venting after loses.
Mission...complete?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 11:22:47 PM »
Ah, well that would explain it! Sorry that I forgot. I knew "Liger Mask" was someone from NWR, but I couldn't remember who...

Just use Terminus, no aiming required!

Will you be around tomorrow (Sunday)? I'll probably play some then.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 12:09:38 AM »
Was thinking of making him my next unlock but went with Zhin instead.

Yeah, I'll be around for sure.
Mission...complete?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 03:30:49 PM »
What is your name on the NWR Discord? Mine is still Mop it up.

Offline kaijugamer

• Spambot
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 08:32:27 PM »
I still play Paladins on Switch. It's really fun playing Onslaught.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 12:19:45 AM »
Yeah, you'd think Team Deathmatch would be the fun one but Onslaught gets pretty wild when everyone scrambles on to the objective at once. Even if teammates are trickling in & getting mowed down one at a time, a well-placed ultimate can turn the tides.
Mission...complete?

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 10:23:05 AM »
Though when I think about it I probably enjoy Siege the most. Not as much chaotic fun, but as a frontline/healer main it often comes down to pushing the payload & keeping whoever is pushing it alive.

On the flipside, it's probably the most teamwork dependant of the games so a bad team can make this the most agonizing mode too.
Mission...complete?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 05:15:13 PM »
Since you don't actually need to stand in the spot to score in Onslaught, and because kills give points, it's actually probably better if people didn't throw their bodies into the objective to stall for time like they can in Siege, hee hee. But it sure is funny when it starts happening, especially if the other team is doing it!

It feels like we haven't played in a while GK, we should find some time for that soon!

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 12:22:57 AM »
Tried to join you over the weekend but you were in a game. Then when I stepped away I saw a missed invite from you.

If you see me playing it just message me in the discord.
Mission...complete?

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 12:38:59 PM »
Well you two should be happy. That End Time event is pretty much Onslaught on Crack.
Mission...complete?