Author Topic: Best of the 3DS eShop Series  (Read 12731 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Best of the 3DS eShop Series
« on: February 16, 2022, 02:01:35 PM »
You may recall a few years back that I started a series of threads on the 3DS eShop offerings back in 2019. Back then, I was already getting the sense that Nintendo could be looking to shutter the eShop at some point so it would be best to start figuring out what was still worth picking up on it before that happened. However, as I progressed through the releases, it started to seem like interest was being lost in the series and that there was a lot more “shovelware” being listed rather than quality titles people may have wanted to talk about. As such, I lost the motivation and never got back to continuing it.

With the news that the 3DS eShop now has an expiration date, I guess it’s time to revisit this series as there may now be renewed interest in it. At the time I stopped, I had also been thinking about how I wanted a sort of “hub” thread to collect the links to all the Threads created for this series. I also wanted the hub thread to have some lists of the top rated or recommended games from the games covered and discussed. That is what this thread is all about to hopefully put the information in an easily accessible place.

Here are all the threads in the series so far:

Virtual Console. Game Boy - Part 1
Virtual Console. Game Boy - Part 2
Virtual Console. Game Boy Color
DLC for Physical Games
2011 Releases & 3D Classics
2012 Releases (Part 1)
2012 Releases (Part 2)
2012 Releases (Part 3)
2013 Releases (Part 1)
2013 Releases (Part 2)
2013 Releases (Part 3)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 09:22:26 PM by The President »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Best of the 3DS eShop Series
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 02:01:52 PM »
These are the games that were most recommended:

(I’ll be filling this spot in later tonight).

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 02:02:09 PM »
I suppose I could reopen the polls in those past threads as maybe there’s been some developments since or other users now checking them and wanting to participate. Likewise, if there’s something you want to post in them now then you might as well do it now. Or you can always just post in this thread now as the sort of catch-all for everything on the 3DS eShop compared to those threads focusing on a specific part of it. Use this hub thread as you see fit.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 02:13:13 PM »
It looks like I missed some of these, though I s'pose voting now doesn't really matter. I'll have to take a second look at my existing library and see if there are any exclusives I would recommend.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 05:59:24 PM »
Gotta Protectors is fucking dope. You all should get that. It's kind of a top down hack and slash with tower defense elements and a good sense of humor. Also, the soundtrack is dope.

Attack of the Friday Monsters is a beautiful, memorable experience that is worth checking out, although I suspect the opportunity to get it on sale is long gone.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 02:23:11 PM »
This is a little off topic since it might be a retail release, but I heard about an RPG where you were using the touchscreen to help draw the map. Does anybody know what game this is?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 03:10:18 PM »
This is a little off topic since it might be a retail release, but I heard about an RPG where you were using the touchscreen to help draw the map. Does anybody know what game this is?
Are you talking about the Etrian Odyssey series?

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 03:24:57 PM »
Are you talking about the Etrian Odyssey series?
That sounds right. I think there are several on 3DS, which one is recommended?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 03:30:51 PM »
They're like Final Fantasy in that they're not really connected story-wise, so starting with any can work. Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl is a remake of the first game so it can show you the root of the series if you feel so inclined. If you don't care about beginning with the original then Etrian Odyssey IV is probably the overall best in the series with more refined gameplay and mechanics, as well as more accessibility features to help newcomers. The one I would recommend to not start with is Etrian Odyssey Nexus which is a mashup of the entire series and is better suited to longtime fans.

These games have gone on sale in the eShop several times before, so I'd wait and see if Atlus does any more sales before the shutdown, they probably will.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 10:51:21 PM »
GameXplain did a video on the top 20+ 3DS and Wii U games you need to download.

From the 3DS side there are these they suggest.

Nintendo Badge Arcade
Lots of GB and GBC virtual console games
Rhythm Haven MegaMix
Kirby eshop exclusive titles
BoxBoy Trilogy
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
Mario Vs DK: Minis on the Move
PushMo series
Pokemon Battle Trozei
Dr. Mario Miracle Cure

There is more Wii U titles after that but this is the 3DS topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrFfWrOXw5s
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2022, 06:28:46 PM »
If you don't care about beginning with the original then Etrian Odyssey IV is probably the overall best in the series with more refined gameplay and mechanics, as well as more accessibility features to help newcomers.

These games have gone on sale in the eShop several times before, so I'd wait and see if Atlus does any more sales before the shutdown, they probably will.
I picked up Etrian Odyssey IV with the Atlus sale going on. It was $8 US and with physical copies going for $50+ I decided it was worth it. This should be my last 3DS digital purchase. Thanks for the recommendation Mop it up!