Author Topic: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?  (Read 509341 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?
« Reply #250 on: December 08, 2014, 12:03:58 AM »
Planetary Annihilation

Yeeeessssss *Shiver*.

I need a smoke. (Non-smoker)
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #251 on: December 10, 2014, 03:34:38 PM »
Last night I reached the end of Killzone: Mercenary for the Vita. I am really amazed how much I'm enjoying this game. It's one of my favorite FPS games now, though it's not my favorite genre-- not even close.

Anyway, I like how everything you do in the game awards money to purchase new weapons and unlocks. I love how each of the nine missions in the game encourages to play through them with different objectives after completing them initially. There's covert contracts that have you playing stealthily through levels, getting stealth kills, and that kind of stuff.

The multiplayer isn't too bad either. I just wish you didn't die so quickly. I'm more a fan of Halo in that regard. Mercenary is more when you're spotted, you're pretty much dead.

I wholly recommend the game to Vita owners, and I hope to have a detailed review on my site this week.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 11, 2014, 08:07:29 AM »
I completed A Link to the Past again a few days ago. I got all the heart pieces for the first time ever though. There are a couple really, really stupid ones that I just never bothered with before. The two I absolutely never got before this play-through relied on randomized nonsense. The first gave you 30 seconds to dig up the heart piece and there is no method to improve your chances. The second gave you two chances to find the heart piece in a room full of chests. They both cost Rupees and there's a strong chance that you earn it back in the mini-games. I just didn't bother before because it was needlessly time consuming. I may have missed another one or two in previous play-throughs of the game.

Graphically, the game still has a certain charm to it. Even blown up on a 55" TV, it looked good. Everything else didn't age as gracefully. There a certain early 90s design stuff that are totally unacceptable these days that I never thought about in the five or so times I've completed A Link to the Past over a decade ago, namely how pixel precise Link has to be positioned to pick up pots and how he can't break them with his sword. It sounds so minor, but it makes a huge difference. The save system is pretty weird as well. Even if you save inside a dungeon, the game still starts you at predetermined spots when you restart the game (three in the Light World, one in the Dark World). I take things like that entirely for granted these days. I don't play a lot of Virtual Console games, but I often just started abusing save states. I don't know how I managed to complete this game so many times in the past without punching things. Until you get at least the blue mail which is pretty late in the game, you take so much damage per hit.

Anyway, the bosses, while still fairly easy, are far better than many subsequent games in the series. There are several bosses that do not force you to use the item you found in that same dungeon. It never really made sense to me that Ganon or whomever would send giant monsters to the exact dungeon that also houses their one weakness. There are also a few optional items that you don't even find in dungeons. It forces you to explore the world for more than rupees you'll never use anyway. I also hoped there would be more of that in Zelda games, especially now with the upcoming open world Zelda.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 14, 2014, 04:57:35 PM »
Half-Life (PC)- Shorter load times do wonders! And now I can hear what people are saying. God the PS2 version sucks. Wonderful game though. So much better then Half-Life 2.

Half-Life: Blue Shift (PC)- Nice purely because of the new perspective of the Black Mesa incident. Otherwise, pretty much standard Half-Life. Some bad design with lighting though because the flashlight sucks.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 15, 2014, 10:12:02 AM »
I don't tend to beat games very often, and when I do it usually takes a while, so I guess it's not that surprising that I just beat New Super Mario Bros. U. All I can say is, this is what the first game in this sub-series should have been. This isn't just a nostalgic throwback, this is an actual step forward in 2D Mario game design from Mario 3 and World. In an era in which EAD Tokyo is pumping out amazing 3D Mario games at a good clip, this doesn't feel out of place. Can't wait to start the Luigi pack.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 15, 2014, 01:19:34 PM »
Finally beat the first Phoenix Wright (DS) game. It was... good, I guess? Didn't really catch my interest and seemed to overstay it's welcome. Reality didn't live up to the reputation for me, but maybe that's because I like the characters and story and gameplay from Ghost Trick (DS) so much more and was hoping that this older game could live up to the same standard.

Timing is good. Reinforces that buying the digital trilogy just wouldn't be a good idea for me, although I might play though another game in the series at some point in the future.

Also got sucked back into Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U) again. Finished off almost all of the Moga Village quests - up to Mark of a Hero, which I haven't attempted yet - and was pleasantly surprised with the ending cinematic after beating the HR level stages. People who didn't play/watch the original MH3 probably won't care, but I thought the movie was nicely done and nicely turned the side-story of Unfortunate Mask into something more funny/memorable than it would've been otherwise.
NNID: ejamer

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 19, 2014, 03:39:09 PM »
The Walking Dead: Season One (Telltale Games, Xbox One)

I don't think I've ever played a game like this before (style-wise or story line-wise). The story telling is simply masterful, you'll actually become attached to some of the characters. I feel like a total pansy, but I actually had a couple tears come out during the last (pre-credits) scene where you make Clementine kill Lee (you) so she doesn't have to see him turn into a Walker. I don't think that's ever happened with a game before.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 22, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »
So I just completed the Mass Effect Trilogy.  I realized after beating ME1 that it was the first PS3 game I had completed aside from really short stuff like Street Fighter IV.  The game hooked me.  Usually I'm not that invested in stories because videogame stories are usually terrible.  But this was like a great novel or a movie but it's better because it's a videogame.  *I* am Shepard.  I'm not observing the story I'm experiencing it which is the whole draw of videogames.  This trilogy is pretty close to where I want videogames to go.  I would like a little more interaction with the world like Zelda does as this is mostly shooting and dialog choices (the first game has some rough exploration which I hoped would be refined in the sequel but was probably axed by EA to make the game more of a shooter) but this still really delivered.  I find myself attached to characters where days later I'm still thinking about their fates and what could have happened if I had made different choices.  I hadn't played a Bioware game before so I guess the dialog wheel is something they've done before but I don't know why every game doesn't have this.  It's not a cutscene anymore if I can have input into where the conversations goes.  It becomes gameplay.  Most of the time it doesn't really impact what happens but it just adds this personal touch.  It involves the player much more emotionally than MGS-style 30 minute cutscene crap does.

I find Nintendo's infatuation with Wii Sports titles annoying because I can't help but feel that they could instead be working on something like this.  They could probably surpass it.  Although the game doesn't really play like Metroid Prime it connected with me in the same way.  Retro could make something with this scope and ambition but they've been working on sidescrollers.  We justifiably make fun of ME3 being a Wii U launch title as it is incomplete without the other two games but it still runs circles around Nintendo's own Wii U launch lineup.  Nintendo wonders why their console doesn't sell but they're not yet even showing titles that match the titles that showed the full potential of the previous gen.

Now there's the ME ending which created enough controversy that Bioware made a free extended cut because of all the complaints.  I installed the extended cut before playing so I haven't seen the original take on the ending.  The first time I reached the end I screwed up and shot the Catalyst out of curiosity and doomed everyone.  Ooops.  I was pretty mad about that but thankfully you can just restart the last mission and choose a different ending.  However I again didn't really understand what I was supposed to do.  All I noticed was this light in the center so I assumed I go into the light and make my choice.  Nope.  That's the synthesis one.  I was unsure which choice I would make but changing the DNA of all living creatures really turned me off.  Actually it wasn't that bad of a choice as I died but achieved peace for the galaxy.  I served the greater good by sacrificing myself.  Still I was curious about the other endings and I didn't try to pick that one and changing everyone's DNA still bothered me.  In the cutscene everyone seemed fine with it but I think that's unrealistic and in reality there would be many who wouldn't have wanted it.

Thinking about it I realized that destroying the Reapers was the ending I would have chosen as that was my character's original intent when I beamed aboard the Citadel.  That was the rationale I had used earlier when I let Ashley die.  I had already promised Kaiden I would go back for him and turning back for Ashley would break that promise.  The only problem I had with destroying the Reapers is that it would also destroy EDI and the Geth.  Not that I truly considered them to be alive.  Organics might have a soul as we are not certain of who or what created us but the Geth were created by the Quarians and they did not give them a soul or would even know how to do such a thing.  Still I didn't destroy them because I preferred peaceful co-existence but if it was down to them or the Quarians I would pick the Quarians without hesitation.  So I destroyed all the synthetics to save the true lifeforms.  But what bothers me is I wasn't given the choice I would have made if the game let me and that's probably the common beef with the ending.

The Reapers being represented by a child is fitting because their logic is childlike.  Synthetic/organic conflict is inevitable so they, as synthetics, destroy organics to prevent this?  That's stupid and I should have been able to point that out.  The Reapers are the very synthetics that fail to understand organics that they are trying to "save" us from.  And they're wrong because I proved that synthetics and organics can co-exist when I brokered peace between the Geth and Quarians.  My friends Joker and EDI are actually in a loving synthetic/organic relationship.  All throughout the game I can resolve conflicts with my words and charisma.  Why at the very end when I have something to say that could possibly stop the Reapers and save everyone do I not even get the chance to try?  They could have let me say something and still not convince the Catalyst or encounter some complication that doesn't allow me to only destroy the Reapers.  That's still acceptable.  Much like I tried to save both Ashley and Kaiden but had to sacrifice someone, I tried to save everyone but couldn't.  That's still in character.  But instead I don't even try as if I was just using the Geth and EDI as a means to an end?  That sucks.  I wasn't really playing Shepard, I was being myself, making the decisions I would have in the same scenario.  *I* would have pointed this out to the Catalyst.  Overall the game does a fantastic job of giving me the option to say the sorts of things I would have said but it failed to offer that here.  If they added this it would have been a good ending even if the overall results were the same.  It's okay to make a hard choice as long as all alternatives were considered.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 22, 2014, 05:47:20 PM »
My Beef with the ending is making me collect all those advantages and then not actually showing a single one.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 22, 2014, 06:12:16 PM »
How you managed to still trash Nintendo in a post about Mass Effect is beyond me...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 22, 2014, 07:11:48 PM »
He's very good at what he does.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 23, 2014, 01:24:55 AM »
Iansane thinks Mass Effect is the apotheosis of video games. It's almost like he could just stick to Game Informer's recommended picks from here on out and never trouble his brain about Nintendo again . . .

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 23, 2014, 02:30:31 AM »
As much as i can judge by few hours i spent with Mass Effect until i gave up due to unplayable controls (BioWare took out controller support on PC, so points to Wii Sports for being actually playable) it belongs to a variety of "shallow sci-fi" i intensely dislike. When it takes a generic dime-a-dozen world saving fantasy story and dresses it up "space is kewl" decorations. Think Star Wars.

Enemies in ME might as well been orcs and NOTHING would change.

Sci-fi is my favourite genre ever. In books, movies or any media. My definition of sci-fi is when it presents a fascinating idea (be it time-travel, or clones, or alternate universes or anything really) and runs with it through the entire duration. Good characters or even a plot is secondary to the presentation of ideas for me.

I generally don't really care about characters, development or romance. I don't really give a **** who fucks who. Give me ideas, give me something with at least some semblance of original thought in your book and i am sold.

Asimov's books are pretty bad as stories but are amazing sci-fi, then ones that leave you astounded by the scale and depth of ideas presented long after you finish them.

Thankfully, last few years have been a godsend for thoughtful and original sci-fi flicks (D9, Gravity, Interstellar even last two Cruise flicks).

Judging by the discussion of this series it's part dating sim, part mediocre third person shooter with a bad ending. Dating sims (as in -- any game where the crux of the gameplay is juggling relationships) are okay i guess, provided it actually respects you and your choices and projects your input (however small) into the ending. Walking Dead game didn't and was a failure for it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 02:32:25 AM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 23, 2014, 08:16:42 AM »
Fire Emblem is a better dating sim. At least it requires some effort to make two units marry.

In ME, just talk to them after every mission and choose the top choice all the time and then they ask you to bed (sometimes you will have to choose the bottom choice *gasp*).
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 23, 2014, 08:50:50 AM »
(BioWare took out controller support on PC, so points to Wii Sports for being actually playable)
Now that I think about it I did use the mouse and keyboard for it.

Yeah, Asimov books that I've read could really be classified as Mysteries.  In fact most Sci-Fi I've read I would classify as Mystery.  Its generally about solving something.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 26, 2014, 12:11:27 AM »
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag:

I completed most of the missions previous week.

All it was left for me to do were destroying Legendary ships and messing around with Kenway's fleet.

These four naval battles were bosses of sort and on top of each of the ships being tougher AND faster than me they all had their special gimmicks. It was a good thing because by the time you usually start to beat Legendary ships you are way overpowered for any other ships in the Carribean.

HMS Prince is always in the fog or a storm, so you're always fighting her and the elements at the same time.

La Dama Negra spams you with her insane mortar power, but if you manage to get in up close she is easily dispatched.

Impoluto LOVES to ram you, so you need to stay away from her and keep spamming mortars.

And finally the hardest of them all: HMS Fearless and Royal Sovereign:

Two legendary ships at the same time, each faster and tougher than you. You will need some very careful manoeuvring so that they wouldn't surround you from both sides.

The right strategy is to be constantly turning so that you wouldn't get between them and keep ramming and shooting at one of them.

Once one of the ships goes down, remaining one changes tactic and basically turns into Impoluto ramming you like nobody's business. This part of the battle is just as hard because last ship is still faster than you so she will always get to you no matter how fast you're trying to ran away from her.

After i collected last treasures i found out i am still one treasure away from 100% sync. Apparently one last treasure map is unlocked through Kenway's Fleet mini-game:

At least by this time i realized i can send more than one ship... That made battles a bit more interesting, but not really.

Kenway's Fleet is still the stupidest and the most boring part of the game. Doubly so, because in the best traditions of Free-to-Pay mobile games it has arbitrary restrictions by time: once i sent my ship i have to wait 10-24 hours until it "finishes" it's mission.

So, in the last 5 days all i did was -- booting the game in the morning and sending more ships until finally this morning i unlocked the last treasure map. Then a quick dive into underwater smuggler's den and i have full 100% sync.

Overall:
Great game. Around on the same level as ACII or Brotherhood. Decent story and lots of stuff to do. Diversity of mission is probably the best among all AC game so far.

Full sync requirements are MUCH more relaxed compared to previous iterations and that is a HUGE plus if you want to 100% these game. No more retrying the same story missions dozen of times just to hit one particular requirement at the very end. Also, sync requirements are removed completely from side missions so that's an even bigger plus -- because in previous games the most insane and broken FS came from these missions (most of the vehicles side missions from Brotherhood were impossible to full sync, not just "impossible" as in "really hard" but actually impossible due to broken AI).

The game basically is divided between naval stuff and normal assassin's stuff. Naval stuff dominates over usual city roaming gameplay a bit too much though. And there isn't really all that many cities to roam around in.

The only city that is even comparable to cities of II or Brotherhood is Havana but even that is fairly small. Most of other walking space are island villages, jungles and lots of small Wind Waker style islands with a single chest or on it.

At least Havana and jungles provide a welcoming change from ACIII's bland cities and forests:

Then there are sea missions:

The first moment where you zoom out to travel speed and your crew starts to sing shanties was very cool.

RPG progression with ship was a think a mistake -- it made sea battles way too hard in the beginning and way too easy in at the end.

And the only way to upgrade your ship so is by spending metal that you can only get from sea battles. So it's a vicious circle of grinding levels with easy ship until you become overleveled.

One trick to i used a lot to defeat several ships at once was to get some damage to a big ship or a fort then destroy a small ship and board it:

When you start boarding sequence all enemy ships graciously stop attacking you and wait until you're finished. After you finished boarding you can choose to repair your ship and continue damaging other ships.

I would actually preferred if they kept naval battles system from ACIII because there was a bit more skill involved than just "be level 40 to defeat this ship or get lost".

Story and sci-fi elements:
Did i mention i LOVE sci-fi? I always liked modern parts of AC and sequences where AC got weird with "First Civilisation" stuff. I LOVED creepy puzzles from ACII and Brotherhood and i loved completely out of the blue ending of II.

Black Flag develops AC: Liberation's "Abstergo Entertainment" idea where they pretended Ubisoft is a subsidiary of Templars and that AC games they do is but a side product to their Animus research:

Pretty cool villain too.

The story in the past was alright i guess. I wished there was more of Haytham in the end but what i got was okay too.

So, again, great game. Worth spending 63 hours to 100% it.

Freedom Cry, here i come!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 01:23:15 AM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 28, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »
Watch_Dogs

Infamous for being a downgrade, infamous for being delayed, infamous for being Ubisoft-tastic, The hot 2014 GTA style game finally came to the Wii U and I played it all the way through. I found a way to get through this type of game, I just ignore 90% of the side content and plowed ahead on the story mission. It still took me 55 hours, but I play games pretty slow.

This very much your typical sandbox city crime game, the twist on it is the "hacking." If you have your phone out, prompts pop up on various items around the world, and you can unlock more options in your skill tree as the game progresses. The two big advantages are during car chases and gunfights. In car chases you can trigger various traps and delays against your opponents, and they are definitely needed as the driving controls are mediocre. During gun fights, or more to be more accurate, while hiding before the gun fight, you spy on your enemies with cameras and use traps to kill or distract them. Sometimes you can clear the field without even pulling a trigger.

I think the combat is actually the best part of the game, if only for the extra options they give you. If you just try to run and gun you will probably die way too often.

The story is pretty threadbare, and they pad it out by throwing in various missions to pad out the game. Not much positive is accomplished by Aiden Pierce by the end of the game.

Watch_Dogs score: 6 out of 10

If you are hungry for a modern open-world game for your Wii U, give it a shot after the price comes down. Add an extra star if you like the Assassin's Creed games.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 31, 2014, 01:58:43 AM »
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - I don't know / 10

It apparently took me 201 minutes to beat this game, which is probably much longer than it should have, but it's actually the first MGS game I've played with the intention of...playing. I only have 6% completion, but I guess that's because there are a bunch of side missions that get unlocked. Pretty cool story, cinematic scenes are amazing. I would have been pissed if I paid full price for it (was it ever full price?), but I think I only paid like $10 at Target a couple of weeks ago (though it's on the PlayStation Store for like $6 right now). Anyway, I've seen cut scenes from other MGS games and the stories seem like they get incredibly bizarre, but this one didn't seem that far out there (though a little hard to follow). Anyhow, for a $10 game, I'd probably give it a good 8/10 - though that may change as I do plan on going through most, if not all, of the other missions. For anything above that the score goes down because, well, it's an at-most 201 minute (main) game. Also, Hideo Kojima must be the most conceited person in the gaming industry, every other name in the credits is Hideo Kojima, with titles that are just made up in order to put himself in there again.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 31, 2014, 02:44:59 AM »
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - I don't know / 10
every other name in the credits is Hideo Kojima, with titles that are just made up in order to put himself in there again.

u mad

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 31, 2014, 02:50:26 AM »
That does seem like exactly the kind of thing Hideo Kojima would do. If you're taken aback by that I'm not sure why you'd be playing his game.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 31, 2014, 10:30:15 AM »
Didn't say I'm taken aback, just it's a little over the top.

Post concept: Hideo Kojima
Director of button typing: Hideo Kojima
Quality control: Hideo Kojima
Execution of Post button: Hideo Kojima
A Hideo Kojima Production

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 31, 2014, 08:49:17 PM »
Being over the top is Hideo Kojima's area of expertise.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 31, 2014, 09:08:34 PM »
I need to start doing this more.

NWR poster of quality: Khushrenada
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 01, 2015, 03:44:49 PM »
Hyrule Warriors

Finally finished the Legend, aka Story, mode. Easily the best Warriors game I have played. The levels are much tighter and there is a faster pace and urgency to the missions. Add in the Giant Bosses, enemy variety, the items and the crafting and it is a lot of fun. The story is decent but the new blue haired character is a little annoying. I am getting into adventure mode now and I think I may like it even better.

Protip: Fi is a beast on the battlefield, who knew?

Legend of Zelda- Hyrule Warriors Score: 8 out of 10

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #274 on: January 02, 2015, 08:15:13 AM »
Being a hack when it comes to story (seriously, become some C-quality movie director, since that's what his game stories make himself look like he wants to do) is Hideo Kojima's area of expertise.

Fixed that for me.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)