Author Topic: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?  (Read 509205 times)

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
Fire Enblem: awaking, very hard (on classic mode) the best game i have ever played on a handheld. :D
but i am stuck on the sega game shonbi hardest BOSS FIGHTS IN THE WORLD anyone  other any tips with the last boss? :(
Made you look ****.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2013, 03:44:21 PM »
Do the extremely long load times detract from the experience? That's my only worry.

I lived with it, but I'm not really picky about load times. I timed it and it was about two minutes, twenty some seconds from Wii U menu to running around the streets of Lego City, and about thirty seconds load for mission levels.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2013, 03:46:13 PM »
Fire Emblem bothers my analytical brain. When a character dies, I want to start over because I failed. The limited days in Pikmin 1 bothered me in a similar way.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
I didn't like the 30 day limit in Pikmin when I first played it on the GameCube, but going back to it recently in the NPC version I found it to be an integral part of the experience. It's stressful, but it's supposed to be stressful; the game would be far too easy without it. It makes you multitask, and stops you from saying "Oh, I'll just get that part tomorrow."
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2013, 04:28:21 PM »
I never found the 30 day limit a problem as long as you focus on work and don't just waste time. What annoyed me is beating the final boss and not having enough time to get that final piece back in time, so I had to waste a day just to bring 1 piece back.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2013, 02:20:30 AM »
I've beaten a few things lately:

- New Super Mario Bros. 2 - Well, after beating NSMB U & a great deal of New Luigi U, this game was piss-easy.  Unfortunately, it was also rather dull and not terribly eventful. To make matters worse, the final dungeon in the bonus Star World is pretty much just the final main Bowser castle again, only slightly harder (albeit with an identical Boswer fight).  Overall, it wasn't a bad game but it was just completely forgettable.

- Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep - Much like the main game, it runs on for too long, but unlike the main game it's actually fairly entertaining and the story has some weight to it.  I really didn't expect after Tiny Tina annoyed the hell out of me in the main game to ever like her, but she definitely has some nice moments here.  I could have used a lot more variety in environments and the Archers in general can go **** themselves with their god-like aiming and Legolas-speed firing rate, but overall it was decent enough.  I don't know when I'll get around to the other DLCs, though.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2013, 08:41:17 AM »
New Super Mario Bros. 2 - ... Overall, it wasn't a bad game but it was just completely forgettable.

Is it too harsh to say that sounds like par for the NSMB course?
 :confused;
NNID: ejamer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2013, 11:28:55 AM »
New Super Mario Bros. 2 - ... Overall, it wasn't a bad game but it was just completely forgettable.

Is it too harsh to say that sounds like par for the NSMB course?
 :confused;

To some extent, yes, but New Super Mario Bros. U's OK.  I've gotten my money's worth out of that game.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »
Monster Tale (DS)

First, let me be clear that the game has some issues. Most notably: the level design just isn't that strong. It demands a lot of backtracking, with new "powers" hidden away in previous stages that often serve no purpose other than to unlock a different section of the map.

However, that and other nitpicks all pale in comparison to what the game gets right.

Monster Tale is a charming game. The art direction and animation are very cute. The "pet sim" and evolution aspects are neat and give completionists something to strive for. Controls are tight and gameplay gives you options (via special powers) for how you want to approach different situations - although I suspect many people will spam a few favorite powers instead of taking the time to unlock and switch between them all. Best of all, it's just fun to play.

There is nothing so new or innovative here that Monster Tale demands to be played... but anyone looking for a fun adventure on their DS (or 3DS) should give the game a shot.
NNID: ejamer

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2013, 08:27:11 PM »
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask.

I really like this series; although, I do get fatigued by the puzzles towards the end. The story is usually what brings me to finish them. The variety towards the end was better than normal, so I liked that. It seems like the series likes to play around with ideas to keep the core fresh, which is much appreciated. I was impressed with how quickly I adapted to the new pointing mechanic. Also the 3D translated well, to me.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2013, 04:29:29 AM »
I beat The Last of Us on hard last night. Technically solid game, and there were some pretty tense parts, but I came down with bad third-person shooter corridor-itus after about four hours. And the game is surprisingly long. For the most part the difficultly just scales by adding more enemies to each encounter, that otherwise play out the same every time. I was expecting more from the experience (really surprised about all the praise for the game's story, which couldn't be blander or more derivative).

I also ended up just running through the final true gameplay portion, expecting there to be some kind of crazy final monster fight or something. Nope.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »
last game I beat was Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance on PS2, even when I had it come Gamecube I could never finish it because the button layout made some of the more useful combos difficult for me. But I found the PS2 style controller more fitting for that game and it was easier. The most "current" game I have played is Fall Out new Vegas but I have not come close to beating that somebitch.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2013, 12:39:15 PM »
expecting there to be some kind of crazy final monster fight or something. Nope.

Then you completely missed the point of the entire game if this was your expectation.

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2013, 04:52:59 PM »
expecting there to be some kind of crazy final monster fight or something. Nope.

Then you completely missed the point of the entire game if this was your expectation.

Agreed, but I think we've all been a little bit conditioned by videogames to expect certain "tropes".  I think that's why the ending was so... perplexing to people at first.  People were expecting the traditional outcomes, but when Naughty Dog kinda threw in that "twist", I think it threw a lot of people for a loop.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2013, 05:28:18 PM »
Eh, the point of the game was to kill bad guys over and over again. I was expecting some kind of escape sequence involving clickers to finish off the game (especially as you get that assault rifle, which is horrible against armored humans). Instead there was an easily circumvented soldier hallway as the finale. I hardly think that qualifies as some kind of avant-garde design choice or twist as opposed to off-key pacing. The game followed contemporary tropes rigidly the entire time before that.

And anyone, that's just one criticism of a pretty mediocre game.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2013, 01:50:45 AM »
Eh, the point of the game was to kill bad guys over and over again. I was expecting some kind of escape sequence involving clickers to finish off the game (especially as you get that assault rifle, which is horrible against armored humans). Instead there was an easily circumvented soldier hallway as the finale. I hardly think that qualifies as some kind of avant-garde design choice or twist as opposed to off-key pacing. The game followed contemporary tropes rigidly the entire time before that.

And anyone, that's just one criticism of a pretty mediocre game.

Wrong again. I'm not even going to bother to explain because you completely misrepresented the game.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2013, 08:26:09 PM »
You're right, I forgot to mention scrambling around alleys and nooks against the rhythm of the gameplay to scavenge stuff and pick up pointless tchotkes.  ;)

This review pretty much nails it, except for the fact that the story isn't good either. (Which doesn't really matter per se, as I don't credit games as a narrative medium.)

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/06/12/the-last-of-us-has-real-heart-but-not-much-else/

In general, I suspect that I am just not into Naughty Dog's style of game making. If I didn't dig Last of Us, do you think it would be worth it to give one of the Uncharted games a shot? I have access to my brother's PS3 for the time being and have been trying to take a look at its notable exclusives.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2013, 08:31:03 PM »
Just stay away from Naughty Dog. We don't need you. :(

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2013, 10:18:18 PM »
I won't say one way or another whether you'd like Uncharted if you didn't enjoy TLoU.  They are very different games, but at the same time, quite similar.  Obviously, combat mechanics and the third-person view are similar.  I think TLoU's slower pace during combat sequences makes the combat system(and that controller) much easier to deal with.  My memory's a little foggy of the later games in the series, but Uncharted has some serious bullet-sponge enemies.  I found that TLoU gave you a lot of freedom when it came to how to complete each encounter(helped by some really spotty AI).  I've been amazed at how various LPers have chosen to approach various situations and manage to succeed.  Uncharted is basically shooty-shooty-bang-bang with interactive climbing sections.

Ultimately, the games do boil down to a similar formula of combat section -> cutscene -> rinse and repeat.  Most games don't get away with that, but Naughty Dog has found a way to make their games compelling enough to enough people to escape that criticism.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2013, 10:43:21 PM »
Haven't played many games in a while, but I did beat Halo 4 on normal quite a while ago.

The story was... eh. I felt as though the Diadact wasn't explained well enough, and his 'demise' was pretty pathetic. Really? The guy survives huge explosions and one Pulse Grenade sends him off. Personally, I think he's still alive.

I also had a good laugh at Master Chief's emotional moments. His voice actor isn't really fit for a dramatic shouting of "Cortana!"

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2013, 12:42:37 AM »
Spec Ops: The Line

The gameplay is pretty standard for a third person shooter although none of the guns have any feel to them.

But the warcrimes, so many warcrimes. It is a grisly deconstruction and commentry on games like COD, BF, etc done well. It would recommend playing this game on this alone.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2013, 12:52:08 AM »
I feel like they did the gameplay like that on purpose.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2013, 03:06:25 AM »
It certainly makes sense they did it that way. Adds to the unrealness and sets the average violence low so when it does bring in the rain, you feel it.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2013, 05:00:29 PM »
I won't say one way or another whether you'd like Uncharted if you didn't enjoy TLoU.  They are very different games, but at the same time, quite similar.  Obviously, combat mechanics and the third-person view are similar.  I think TLoU's slower pace during combat sequences makes the combat system(and that controller) much easier to deal with.  My memory's a little foggy of the later games in the series, but Uncharted has some serious bullet-sponge enemies.  I found that TLoU gave you a lot of freedom when it came to how to complete each encounter(helped by some really spotty AI).  I've been amazed at how various LPers have chosen to approach various situations and manage to succeed.  Uncharted is basically shooty-shooty-bang-bang with interactive climbing sections.

Ultimately, the games do boil down to a similar formula of combat section -> cutscene -> rinse and repeat.  Most games don't get away with that, but Naughty Dog has found a way to make their games compelling enough to enough people to escape that criticism.

Hrm, that sounds like it maybe wouldn't be so great. The core combat of LoU was pretty unexceptional, only livened up by the flexibility you mentioned. On the other hand, I couldn't take LoU seriously, given the ridiculous AI and uber-heavy tone, so maybe a bouncier Naughty Dog vehicle would jibe with me better.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2013, 08:26:39 PM »
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask.

I really like this series; although, I do get fatigued by the puzzles towards the end. The story is usually what brings me to finish them. The variety towards the end was better than normal, so I liked that. It seems like the series likes to play around with ideas to keep the core fresh, which is much appreciated. I was impressed with how quickly I adapted to the new pointing mechanic. Also the 3D translated well, to me.
Love your new avatar! :D
Made you look ****.