Author Topic: Rapid Blogging Comes to Wii with Twiiter  (Read 7796 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Rapid Blogging Comes to Wii with Twiiter
« on: April 12, 2009, 01:26:00 AM »
WiiOperaSDK brings Twiiter, a Twitter-like program, to Wii.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=18174

Twiiter, the newest section of WiiOperaSDK.com, is a free service based on Twitter that allows users to send each other messages through their Wii consoles.    

In order to use Twiiter you start by creating an account that includes a Wii friend code. Then you send a Wii message to twiit@wiioperasdk.com and the site then registers your system. When your console receives a confirmation message, you are ready to start posting. This allows for any registered user to send Twiiter messages that are posted as mini-blogs for everyone to see. It also offers the opportunity for users to create custom RSS feeds, while non-members can view all recent activity.    

This service has only been announced for Wii users. However, there is certainly a possibility that this service could come to the DSi Opera browser.    

After several weeks of beta testing, a new section to WiiOperaSDK.com has been opened for owners of the popular Wii console. This project, called "Twiiter", is modeled after Twitter but made just for the Wii. Twiiter is a free Wii-centric bloglet website that allows members to send messages from their Wii consoles that post for everyone to see. Members can create uniquely customized RSS Newsfeeds to keep up with friends, and non-members can view an RSS Newsfeed of all recent activity.    

To set up for twiiting, simply sign up at http://twiiter.wiioperasdk.com with a Wii System Code (Anyone with a HullBreach Online account is already a member.), then register the Wii Message Board with twiit@Â…. Once NintendoÂ’s server accepts registration, any future emails from the Wii post to Twiiter with the appropriate member name. Posts can include HTML rich text, several IRC-style commands, and 20 different smilies. Other features of the website include custom avatars, member subscriptions, an RSS Newsfeed of recent posts, and unique customized RSS newsfeeds for each member.    

Also in the works are alerts emailed right to the Wii Message Board, customized website skinning, and SOAP Web Services for remotely creating accounts, filtering posts, and more. Depending on the capabilities of the Nintendo DSi, a mobile version of Twiiter may come later for posting messages on-the-go.    

URL: http://twiiter.wiioperasdk.com

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Rapid Blogging Comes to Wii with Twiiter
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 02:28:35 PM »
This seems largely superfluous, I don't really see the point.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 03:39:28 PM »
It does seem to contradict the mobile nature of Twitter.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 03:41:32 PM »
While I think most of us here won't use it, I can see casual people using it. Those who already use Twitter could just use Twitter via the Internet Channel. They also say it could be extended to the DSi Browser, making it mobile too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 03:50:56 PM »
um. i don't see the point, why not just use twitter?

Offline Tansunn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 04:25:08 PM »
"Rapid Blogging," huh?  Maybe with a USB keyboard.  I wouldn't exactly call using the Wii Remote pointer and an on-screen keyboard "rapid."  Not to mention the startup time for the Wii versus a phone or computer that's probably already on.  This project definitely seems more like "can we do it" than "should we do it."  ...but what the hell, I'm gonna register anyway.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 04:31:58 PM »
Exactly, people use the Internet Channel for the same reason. I think parents might also like it because they can let their kids use a Twitter like service without hogging the computer. I will probably register even though I doubt I will use it (I don't use Twitter either).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 05:27:50 PM »
I think this clip pretty much sums up my thoughts on this news: http://current.com/items/89891774/supernews_twouble_with_twitters.htm

Only even more pointless since it's based on a home console.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 05:35:37 PM »
I think this clip pretty much sums up my thoughts on this news: http://current.com/items/89891774/supernews_twouble_with_twitters.htm

Only even more pointless since it's based on a home console.

I concur
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 07:00:38 PM »
To be perfectly honest I don't like Twitter. To be, its just another way to cut human communication short.

One example of this is a friend of mine who used to run this very detailed, very well designed, thoughtful and insightful blog with a lot of interesting topics.

But now that he is too busy to post something all he does is use Twitter updates, and he writes idiotic stuff like "Its sexy party times" and such. Ugh.

I am sure people have found wonderful uses for it and won't condemn them for using it. But to me , Twitter is just making communication short and meaningless. "I am too busy, in too much of a hurry, too cool to have an interesting conversation so here's one or two lines explaining what I am doing. Enjoy".
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 03:06:22 AM »
Think I'll pass. As far as I can tell the best way to communicate while on the Wii is still to sit near your pc with your instant messenger(s) running.
Mission...complete?

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 07:38:31 AM »
now there is some potential for a system that auto tweets your status

"playing world at war"
"reading the news"
"dancing to Disney tunes" (oop! err, i mean Shootin ZOMBIES, yeah that's it)

the xbox has something like that already. i suppose if we had acheivements it would make more sense. but if we had achievements I think i'd be doing something else.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 07:57:12 AM »

I said that about the entirety of Twitter.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 09:33:52 AM »
now there is some potential for a system that auto tweets your status

"playing world at war"
"reading the news"
"dancing to Disney tunes" (oop! err, i mean Shootin ZOMBIES, yeah that's it)

the xbox has something like that already. i suppose if we had acheivements it would make more sense. but if we had achievements I think i'd be doing something else.

See that I'd like. If I turned on my Wii & got a notice that a friend was playing a wifi game I'd play said game & see if we could meet up.
Mission...complete?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 02:07:58 AM »
I've never even heard of Twitter prior to this announcement. The Internet has reached a new low, which is really saying something.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 03:57:41 AM »
Twitter doesn't make sense until you get an iPhone.  Then, everything changes.  The ability to set up what is effectively an RSS feed of your thoughts is pretty damn fun, and can also be incredibly useful...and addictive.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 04:01:11 AM »
Twitter doesn't make sense until you get an iPhone.  Then, everything changes.  The ability to set up what is effectively an RSS feed of your thoughts is pretty damn fun, and can also be incredibly useful...and addictive.

It definitely depends on how it is used. I've seen some pretty damn idiotic uses for Twitter, while some news sites have used it to its potential.

I still stand, however, by the fact that this doesn't replace actual conversation.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 04:30:34 AM »

I concur with everything in this post, I basically ignored Twitter until I saw apps for it on the iPhone App Store and now I'm slowly getting more and more into it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 05:20:30 AM »
I've never even heard of Twitter prior to this announcement. The Internet has reached a new low, which is really saying something.

And you tell me Trackmania can't be big because you've never heard of it?

Still sounds like the only use it has is to act as steganography for remote detonation codes for terrorist attacks...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 07:58:49 AM »
It makes stalking people so easy that it loses it's charm. Seriously Lindy, 10 tweets in one night whining about how crappy the Sharks are?

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 09:29:06 AM »
[/quote]

I envy you. I've had to watch this stupid "war" between Ashton Kutcher and CNN over who can get to 1 million followers first on Twitter.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 12:06:18 PM »

I envy you. I've had to watch this stupid "war" between Ashton Kutcher and CNN over who can get to 1 million followers first on Twitter.
[/quote]

what the hell happened there??
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 12:07:33 PM »
I still stand, however, by the fact that this doesn't replace actual conversation.

Neither does email, sending a written letter, sending a text message, or posting on a Facebook wall.  But none of these things have ever professed to replace actual conversation to begin with.  Twitter is no different...it's just another means of electronic communication.

Its greatest asset to me is being able to hear people's random thoughts.  I follow DrewMG from these forums and he says some hilarous random stuff.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 12:10:53 PM »
You should follow me, it's kinda weird to do this when the only one following me is some random person I've never met who started following me immediately when I joined.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 12:32:10 PM »
"Egotist: a person more interested in himself than in me."  Does that make it oxymoronic that I'm my only follower and I check for my updates constantly?
~7 minutes ago from TwitterHouse

Hmmmm... thats wierd. This isn't the twitter thread. Could've sworn this was the TwitterHouse thread in the fun house.
~10 minutes ago from TwitterHouse