Author Topic: Leave Luck To Heaven (Nintendo's drive to innovate).  (Read 10657 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Leave Luck To Heaven (Nintendo's drive to innovate).
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 02:36:55 PM »
Coming from someone who had never heard of The Beatles before last year, this doesn't really mean much.  ;D
Hey give me some credit, I've always known who The Beatles are.

Plus it isn't really an apt comparison. I follow games, I do not follow music, so it would only make sense I don't know/remember names of bands.

Offline Marty

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 03:15:06 PM »
Actually, I feel the Nintendo 64 was the last console to have the classic Nintendo philosophies before they began the slow and difficult transition into the Nintendo modern Nintendo which ultimately lead us to an even more successful Wii...but sometimes doesn't seem to capture the same grandeur of classic Nintendo.

Thanks, glad you liked it. I completely agree with your statement about the N64. I feel alot of it had to do with that fact that it was a cartridge based system. There's always been something indefinably appealing about the catridge as a medium for playing video games. I've always had a fondness for N64 in particular though, many a night playing 1080 and banjo Kazooie, makes me smile even thinking about it.
"I'm just a humble M***** F***** with a big-ass D***"- The Bunk

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 07:15:32 PM »
Wow.  In my own gaming experience, Ocarina of Time is the greatest game ever made.  In 1998, Link was riding a horse around a living, breathing Hyrule world.  That set the standard for building a streaming game world.  It wasn't separated into levels (e.g., Super Mario 64).  Nintendo introduced the targeting-lock system of combat to address 3D camera problems.  The game featured elaborate in-game cutscenes.  It transitioned everything from the SNES Link to the Past seamlessly into 3D without making it feel like a platformer.  To me, this was the first sandbox game too...with all of the side quests and collectibles. 
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 07:41:06 PM »
It is a great game and introduced/improved a lot of things, but just because it was first does not mean it is the best.