Author Topic: Square-Enix ports Crystal Defenders, Wii version gets a sequel  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Source

If you own an iPhone and enjoy tower defense, you may have already spent some quality time with Crystal Defenders, but if you've merely peered at someone else's copy being played and found yourself wishing you had an phone to play it on, your time has come. Square-Enix has announced that they will be releasing the title to WiiWare, XBLA and PSN this year.

The WiiWare version will be called Crystal Defenders R1 and is slated for a Japanese release on January 27th, priced at 1,000 Wii points, and will include Wi-Fi support. There are no details on how the title will differ or when we can expect a North American release, but I think it's safe to say it's in the bag.

According to IGN, Famitsu's report on the title indicates that the PSN and XBLA version will be more or less evolved ports, while the WiiWare version will differ from the previously released versions.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:29:37 PM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Square-Enix ports Crystal Defenders from iPhone to consoles
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 05:26:48 PM »
COOL!!!!

I've always liked TD games, and WiiWare is the perfect place for this to land.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:28:57 PM by Kairon »
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 02:34:11 AM »
So this is the first ever iPhone to Wii port ever created?

What type of game is this?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 03:44:27 AM »
So this is the first ever iPhone to Wii port ever created?

What type of game is this?

It's a tower defense game such as desktop tower defense, Ninja Town for the DS, Pixel Junk Monsters on PSN.  From what it looks and sounds like all the character classes, soundtrack and races are from Final Fantasy Tactics A2 which came out on the DS.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 11:50:28 AM »
I've been playing this on my ipod touch since it came out.  It's a lot of fun, but not very deep.

By the looks of the trailer, they are adding more stages for the WiiWare version, so that's good.  Here's hoping for more classes as well.

As far as tower defense games go, this one is more like PixelJunk Monsters than Desktop Tower Defense or Field Runners.  Basically, it has a predetermined path for the baddies and you just set up defenses on the edges of the path, as opposed to using your towers to make the path as well.

Some would argue that it means less depth, while others will argue that it lowers the need for pointless micromanaging.

I personally love both styles, though I'm not sure if I will pick this up again as I've already paid for it on my ipod.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 01:18:10 PM »
I've been playing this on my ipod touch since it came out.  It's a lot of fun, but not very deep.

By the looks of the trailer, they are adding more stages for the WiiWare version, so that's good.  Here's hoping for more classes as well.

As far as tower defense games go, this one is more like PixelJunk Monsters than Desktop Tower Defense or Field Runners.  Basically, it has a predetermined path for the baddies and you just set up defenses on the edges of the path, as opposed to using your towers to make the path as well.

Some would argue that it means less depth, while others will argue that it lowers the need for pointless micromanaging.

I personally love both styles, though I'm not sure if I will pick this up again as I've already paid for it on my ipod.

I highly doubt they are adding classes because Square supposedly limited themselves to the races and classes from Final Fantasy Tactics:A2.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 02:38:18 AM »
Aren't most of the TD games the predetermined path type? I think that's way easier to implement because there's no need for pathing or anything.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 03:01:22 AM »
Aren't most of the TD games the predetermined path type? I think that's way easier to implement because there's no need for pathing or anything.

From my experience playing TD games in WarCraft III, both types are equally prevalent and valid. I'm not sure which came first, but whichever did the other followed so soon after that it's a moot point.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 05:25:38 AM »
WC3 already has pathing implemented though.

For TD with characters I prefer PatchCon. Maybe because you do more than build turrets and watch them shoot the ever-same enemies...

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 09:31:45 AM »
I got into the Tower Defense genre relatively late, so yeah, all I know is that there are different types.  The first one I ever played was desktop tower defense, which totally hooked me.  Then when I got PixelJunk Monsters I was confused by the fact that I couldn't make my own path, but then started to really enjoy that too.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 10:28:26 AM »
That is a pretty badass looking game KDR. I wish I could play it.

The first instance I know of is back in Starcraft. Back then it was called Sunken Colony Defense. There weren't any upgrades or anything, everything depended on the shape of the maze.

It wasn't until WC did it really take off though with it's much wider range of customization available in the map builder.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
Re: Square-Enix ports Crystal Defenders, Wii version gets a sequel
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 10:29:58 PM »
Quote from: ign
February 17, 2009 - With the WiiWare version of Crystal Defenders having that "R1" in the title, expectations were high that Square Enix wouldn't stop with just one. Sure enough, a sequel is on the way. Square Enix announced today Crystal Defenders R2, set to hit the Japanese WiiWare service on February 24 at 1,000 WiiPoints. R1 was released over there late last month.

R2 is meant for players who've gotten accustomed to the basics of Crystal Defenders through R1. The game offers eight new jobs: Fencer, Black Mage, Hunter, Flintlock, Tinker, Time Mage, Thief, and Berserker. It also adds in Power Crystals, devices that can be placed on the battle field to give troops in the vicinity a power boost.

Many of these changes mirror the updates that were given to Crystal Guardians W1, the Crystal Defenders R1 cell phone predecessor, when Square Enix released Crystal Guardians W2. There are some differences, however, in terms of available jobs.

Crystal Guardians ended up being a trilogy. We have no doubt that the same will hold true for the WiiWare version of Crystal Defenders. The only question is, will any of the versions see release outside of Japan? Square Enix doesn't appear to be talking just yet.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 01:25:52 AM »
Huh, so Wii gets the whole trilogy separately while the other systems get an all-in-one? I don't know how I feel about that.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 02:35:15 AM »
At least we were warned before one of the games came out so we can wait for the last one.