Author Topic: Expect more THQ support on Wii and DSi, happy with de blob sales  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Expect more THQ support on Wii and DSi, happy with de blob sales
« on: February 26, 2009, 03:19:23 PM »
Source

THQ's unique paint-splattering Wii game de Blob has sold over 700K units worldwide, CEO Brian Farrell said on Tuesday during the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference in San Francisco.

Even in a wretched retail environment, the game has been able to hold its original $49.99 price point after about five months of availability. “We can make money on games like that," Farrell said.

Farrell described a "three-prong" Wii strategy that includes the publishing of high production value, "Nintendo-esque" games like de Blob, value titles like Big Beach Sports, which has sold over 1.3 million units, and licensed titles such as those found in the publisher's Nickelodeon portfolio.

The exec also hinted at an upcoming unannounced Wii game that is "very focused ... niche" but nonetheless expected to do well on the platform.

"The competition on the Wii right now is from Nintendo. That's what we've got to attack," he added. "The people who buy Nintendo games, [we want to] get them to buy things like de Blob."

As for the upcoming release of the Nintendo DSi handheld, Farrell said THQ would be migrating its "biggest brands" to the platform, adding that there will be new gameplay opportunities thanks to the DSi's new features.

De Blob doing well is a good sign!! Wii needs more unique games like this
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Expect more THQ support on Wii and DSi, happy with de blob sales
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 03:27:59 PM »
It's a really good sign that they're willing to keep up support on the level of de Blob even though Big Beach Sports sold nearly twice as well.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 04:30:25 PM »
"The competition on the Wii right now is from Nintendo. That's what we've got to attack," he added. "The people who buy Nintendo games, [we want to] get them to buy things like de Blob."

This is the right attitude to have for all third parties, although I would like to expand on this and say that, because Nintendo is the #1 and #2 console makers in the world right now (DS and Wii), no matter where you release your game, you are competing with Nintendo. 

Yeah, they're a tough opponent.  25+ years of non-stop quality will do that.  But it's not impossible to approach, and I hope more do so in the future.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 05:46:53 PM »

This is the right attitude to have for all third parties, although I would like to expand on this and say that, because Nintendo is the #1 and #2 console makers in the world right now (DS and Wii), no matter where you release your game, you are competing with Nintendo. 

Yeah, they're a tough opponent.  25+ years of non-stop quality will do that.  But it's not impossible to approach, and I hope more do so in the future.

Usually, I would say "I hope that when they say they are competing with Nintendo they don't mean they are trying to make the same games as them". But with THQ I am confident. de Blob and Deadly Creature may not be perfect, but they are different and unique games exclusive to the system.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 06:03:17 PM »
Here's hoping for more deadly creatures and de blob!
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 06:09:02 PM »
THQ has always been one of Nintendo's strongest supporters. If I'm not mistaken, they're one of the few companies still rolling out GBA titles...
is your sanity...

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 06:32:13 PM »
THQ has always been one of Nintendo's strongest supporters. If I'm not mistaken, they're one of the few companies still rolling out GBA titles...

Was THQ part of the "Dream Team" on the N64?  I think so, since I recall their wrestling games being well received.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 06:51:28 PM »
700k isn't too bad, I hope it has a long enough tail to hit 1 million.

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 08:33:52 PM »

Was THQ part of the "Dream Team" on the N64?  I think so, since I recall their wrestling games being well received.

Yeah, THQ made some jawesome wrestling games for the N64. I can't remember a single one of them by name, but they made for some extremely fun weekend rentals with friends.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 08:42:58 PM »
I don't even like wrestling but I still enjoyed THQ's N64 wrestling titles, especially for multiplayer.
I think they released these four in order:
WCW vs NWO World Tour
WCW vs NWO Revenge
WWF Wrestlemania 2000
WWF No Mercy

WWF 2000 is my favourite, but they're all solid.

Anyways, I'm glad THQ will still be working on Wii games. I haven't played de Blob yet but it looks really fun and vomit-inducingly adorable.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 09:03:23 PM »
Here's hoping for more deadly creatures and de blob!
There have been talks of a De Blob sequel
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 11:25:31 PM »
"The people who buy Nintendo games, [we want to] get them to buy things like de Blob."

I hope this guy never meets IanSane.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 11:35:17 PM »
"The people who buy Nintendo games, [we want to] get them to buy things like de Blob."

I hope this guy never meets IanSane.

See, you got it wrong.

He said the people who buy Nintendo games. Ian doesn't buy or play games.

Get it, got it, good.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer