Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread  (Read 243362 times)

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #925 on: May 01, 2009, 08:15:34 AM »
Wii Rainbow Road is awesome, one of the best tracks in the game. The one in Double Dash!! is pretty good too. Mario Kart 64's is way too long and uneventful. Super Mario Kart Super Circuit are both flat, dull, and boring. I never played DS.

I liked the Super Mario Kart Rainbow Road. Yeah, it's flat but no barriers to keep you from falling off the track & all the turns were sharp 90 degree ones. A pretty tough challenge for those that love to drift as often as possible.

DS was probably the easiest Rainbow Road as there were barriers everywhere & the only real way to fall off course were if you hit by at item at a certain spot(think it was the loop but I forget exactly now).

Always been more of a Bowser track fan myself. Really wished they brought back his SNES courses.
Mission...complete?

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: May 01, 2009, 03:29:32 PM »
I don't know how anyone could find a track full of star-powered thwomps boring.  There were times when the difference between finishing first and finishing Phail came down to a game of chicken racing to a one tile wide gap between a star-powered thwomp and the edge of oblivion.  Good times.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 01, 2009, 05:18:29 PM »
N64 Rainbow road was awesome, it was about what had going on.  The music was great, the level was a smooth cruise and there were all kinds of things you could do.  Create shooting stars with shells, you could fire bananas into DK's mouth.  You could fire those shells right at an edge and dodge it as it bounces all the way up a spiral.

Good good good ****. One of my favorite mario kart courses ever.  The DD and Wii have terrible rainbow roads.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: May 01, 2009, 05:25:48 PM »
I loved Rainbow Road in MK64 until my friend got really good at jumping the course and making himself unbeatable, and I still love the music from it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: May 01, 2009, 06:05:56 PM »
I liked the Super Mario Kart Rainbow Road. Yeah, it's flat but no barriers to keep you from falling off the track & all the turns were sharp 90 degree ones. A pretty tough challenge for those that love to drift as often as possible.
True, it's the only Super Mario Kart track that's better than an N64 track.

DS was probably the easiest Rainbow Road as there were barriers everywhere & the only real way to fall off course were if you hit by at item at a certain spot(think it was the loop but I forget exactly now).
The N64 one is the same way, so I guess the DS one is just as boring. The only thing I like about the N64 Rainbow Road is the music.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: May 01, 2009, 06:09:46 PM »
Thanks, guys. :)

We'll have to play once I get internet at home again.

I agree on the SNES track being challenging. I remember that one well. There was the crazy jump you could take if you had a mushroom.

I think that course was my first gaming related anger moment. I was playing 150cc and just had to get first to win the gold on that cup. I was in the lead by far until the last stretch of the last lap I got red shelled. I started to go again but %$*@^%# Donkey Kong drove RIGHT THROUGH one of the last star powered thwomps! So he beat me and I was so mad that I nearly tore my SNES controller in two, then I threw it across the room. I was mad.

LOL, good times.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 01, 2009, 06:50:44 PM »
I feel ya Stratos. As a frequent Toad user I too have been screwed over by one of the big guys, especially Donkey Kong for some reason. That's one minor thing that's always ticked me off about MK64. They removed the Koopa Troopa who was my bro's fav & replaced him with Wario. 3 large racers to one small? Ugh.
Mission...complete?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 01, 2009, 06:53:36 PM »
They removed the Koopa Troopa who was my bro's fav & replaced him with Wario. 3 large racers to one small? Ugh.
Yoshi and Peach are also lightweights, they get knocked around just like Toad does.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 01, 2009, 07:07:07 PM »
Koopa Troopa was my Dad's favorite as well.

He was happy to see him make a return in MKWii.

Was Peach really a lightweight in SNES version? She's a medium weight now right? I'm tempted to make a weight joke but I'll refrain.
My Game Collection

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 01, 2009, 11:16:41 PM »
Ahh woner if that trick a friend sometimes did with Wario would work on Peach/Yoshi. If he had the 1st place starting position with me behind in 3rd he'd sometimes wouldn't move at the start, knowing on instinct I'd boost start. With the weight difference I'd crash into him & spin out.

Koopa Troopa was in Double Dash too but my team was Toad & Para Troopa.
Mission...complete?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: May 01, 2009, 11:30:11 PM »
Was Peach really a lightweight in SNES version? She's a medium weight now right?
I'm not sure about the SNES version, but I think she was. I was talking about the N64 version, in which the lightweights are Toad, Peach, and Yoshi.

Mario Kart Wii doesn't go by weight class anymore, and instead goes by size: small, medium, and large. Characters have their own stats bonuses, and so some characters within the same class are heavier than others. Peach, Daisy, Bowser Jr, and Diddy Kong have no weight stat bonus, Yoshi and Birdo have +3, and Mario and Luigi have +6. So Peach is on the light end of the medium-size class.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 01, 2009, 11:49:44 PM »
Waluigi being large bugged the hell out of me. I don't like driving the large vehicles so I had to switch back to Luigi.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #937 on: May 01, 2009, 11:55:38 PM »
Koopa Troopa was my Dad's favorite as well.

He was happy to see him make a return in MKWii.

Was Peach really a lightweight in SNES version? She's a medium weight now right? I'm tempted to make a weight joke but I'll refrain.
Stratos here is what each racer in Super Mario Kart was. Mario,Luigi,Yoshi,Peach were medium.Toad and Koopa Troopa were light weights.Finally Bowser and Donkey Kong Jr was heavy weights.

On the SNES game I liked Koopa Troopa,Princess Toadstool, and Luigi.I rarely use Bowser or DK Jr.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 04, 2009, 12:42:50 PM »
Ahh woner if that trick a friend sometimes did with Wario would work on Peach/Yoshi. If he had the 1st place starting position with me behind in 3rd he'd sometimes wouldn't move at the start, knowing on instinct I'd boost start. With the weight difference I'd crash into him & spin out.

This is exactly why removing hopping was such a travesty in Double Dash.  In MK64, I could dash from 8th place, hop, bounce off the head of the big lug in front of me, and land in 1st place.  You could get amazing air doing that.  I once landed on the top level of the double decker battle stage after boosting and bouncing off of DK.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: May 04, 2009, 07:02:10 PM »
Waluigi being large bugged the hell out of me. I don't like driving the large vehicles so I had to switch back to Luigi.
What's wrong with the large vehicles? They are statistically the best. I want Birdo to go on an eating binge just so he can become large enough to drive them.

This is exactly why removing hopping was such a travesty in Double Dash.  In MK64, I could dash from 8th place, hop, bounce off the head of the big lug in front of me, and land in 1st place.  You could get amazing air doing that.  I once landed on the top level of the double decker battle stage after boosting and bouncing off of DK.
Interesting, I never even thought to try that. I didn't care about the hop missing from Double Dash!! because I had never found a useful application for it. It's annoying that it is still lumped with the powerslide button in MKWii, it should have become its own button. That's one reason why, in some cases, Automatic is better than Manual since you don't hop before powersliding with Automatic.

Anyways, all of this recent discussion about the wheel has encouraged me to finally try it out online. Surprisingly, I actually fared pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sekeEJwysNg

The only achievement left in the game is to reach 9,999VR and 9,999BR, neither of which I think I can do (and it isn't permanent anyway). Therefore I guess it's time I try and see if I can master the wheel.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: May 04, 2009, 07:10:05 PM »
What's wrong with the large vehicles? They are statistically the best. I want Birdo to go on an eating binge just so he can become large enough to drive them.

I've just never felt comfortable driving the big ones. One of the things I loved about Mario Kart DS was that you were able to unlock the ability to use any kart with any character. Ever since I did that I've always played as Waluigi but used Luigi's Poltergust kart.

J.P. Corbran

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: May 04, 2009, 07:16:50 PM »

Large vehicles are generally the best when playing multiplayer.  However, when playing single-player (especially in the tougher cups) the lighter karts have a distinct advantage because they favor acceleration over top speed.  Rarely will you get to drive at top speeds for long without getting screwed by the CPU.  If your kart has poor acceleration you're going to have a hard time catching back up.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 04, 2009, 07:23:05 PM »
However, when playing single-player (especially in the tougher cups) the lighter karts have a distinct advantage because they favor acceleration over top speed.  Rarely will you get to drive at top speeds for long without getting screwed by the CPU.  If your kart has poor acceleration you're going to have a hard time catching back up.
I think that depends on two things: a person's skill level and the cup in question. With the Flame Runner/Bowser Bike (the statistically best vehicle), I can achieve leads so great that no amount of blue shells will dethrone me. I have much more trouble with the Quacker (fastest accelerator in the game). However, if it's the Mushroom or Shell cup that we're talking about, a high-accel vehicle might be a wise choice as those tracks are so short and easy that I can't really reach a large lead.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 04, 2009, 07:34:31 PM »
Anything you say about the game is immediately nulled because you don't use the wheel.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 04, 2009, 08:18:43 PM »
Anything you say about the game is immediately nulled because you don't use the wheel.
Did you miss some of my recent posts? I do use the wheel, just not exclusively and I didn't start using it until more recently. A few posts up I talked about trying the wheel online for the first time. Earlier I mentioned that I also have a wheel-only license which is 100% complete, except for a three-star rank which I am still working on.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: May 04, 2009, 08:21:54 PM »
Oh, snap! Vudu just got served! Or should I say, mopped? ;)
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 04, 2009, 08:33:24 PM »
I suspect Vudu reads only his own posts.  :D

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 05, 2009, 03:01:17 PM »
I suspect Vudu reads only his own posts.  :D

I might read yours if you bothered to use the Wii Wheel.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 05, 2009, 06:17:22 PM »
If you had read my posts, you'd know I do use the Wii Wheel.

...This is an endless loop, isn't it?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 06, 2009, 03:21:23 PM »
Do you even know what a loop is?  It's a circle.  Like the Wii Wheel.  The Wii Wheel that you don't use.