Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread  (Read 242498 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #825 on: August 31, 2008, 12:20:55 AM »
So maybe this has already been decided, but since I don't frequent GameFAQS boards, I wouldn't know.

Which do you prefer and why:  Karts or Bikes?

Personally, I'm going with karts because I find the second boost level infinitely more useful than the wheelie (which is completely worthless 98% of the time).  I also find the karts handle better than the bikes overall.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 31, 2008, 12:42:58 AM »
I usually use bikes, I like the tighter turning.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 31, 2008, 01:32:48 AM »
I like the awesome.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #828 on: August 31, 2008, 02:12:08 AM »
When I play online I use karts more than bikes because the racers tend to ram into you if you start a wheelie. It is possible to race competitively you just have to keep your eyes everywhere.Offline, I use either one.In battle mode on and offline I use bikes.   
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 02, 2008, 09:45:15 AM »
When i'm playing online i regularly quit at the next race when its not an even balance of karts and bikes, because they frequently wheelie past you or try to draft/slipstream past me in the final seconds rather than "play the game".

I prefer the karts overall - the best two is Rally Romper (for off-roading and balance) and Wild Wing (for top speed).

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #830 on: September 02, 2008, 01:05:46 PM »
I use Standard Bike L.  More challenge involved and it humiliates those overly-immersed speed players when I do win.

I do not win.  REGGIE wins by default
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #831 on: February 27, 2009, 07:10:40 AM »
So this got unstickeyed for some reason. Is anybody still racing in the tournements that happen every so often?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #832 on: February 27, 2009, 08:02:28 AM »
So this got unstickeyed for some reason. Is anybody still racing in the tournements that happen every so often?

I don't usually do the tournaments, but I do race online daily.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 27, 2009, 09:06:24 AM »
I think I competed in the last time trial on a battle mode stage but overall, nah.

I really only use the Bullet Bike for time trials/tournaments. Outside of that, I'm a kart driver.
Mission...complete?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #834 on: February 27, 2009, 12:31:16 PM »
I typically kart if I happen to have 2 straight hours available for karting (like once a month) so I can join TEAM REGGIE when they assemble.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #835 on: February 27, 2009, 01:32:13 PM »
Right now I am dead set on getting all the karts, characters and gold trophies.

Yes, I know I've owned the game for a year now, but didn't get to unlocking everything till just recently.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #836 on: February 27, 2009, 01:38:28 PM »
I stopped unlocking crap as soon as I unlocked NOA REGGIE.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #837 on: February 27, 2009, 09:59:09 PM »
I still need to get a few characters.Most of them I need to beat all of the staff ghosts.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 27, 2009, 10:01:21 PM »
I'll participate in the tournaments if I remember when they happen. I think I have missed three total since the game launched, so that's not so bad considering I'm pretty forgetful.

Quote from: Stratos, from the Welcome thread
You can dodge the blue shells in the exact same way in Double Dash!!.
I never could get it to work. The timing must be a lot more exact.

Quote from: Stratos
You don't need to trail Items to deflect shells, you just have good timing.
That was my point, it is a lot harder to block oncoming shells in Double Dash!!. There also isn't a rearview camera, so you can't see where the shells are until right before they hit you giving you a very small window of opportunity.

Even with the extra four racers in MKWii, I still think the items are worse in Double Dash!!. After all, there's a character dedicated to items so they're going to play a pretty big role.
I should say, however, that I enjoy the unpredictability associated with random elements, so that's probably a big part of the reason why I don't find the items in MKWii to be a pain.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: February 27, 2009, 10:13:15 PM »
When you've been hit with three blue shells, mowed down by a guy with a starman, and hit with a lightning bolt all within the last stretch of the final lap it get just a wee bit discouraging.

My sister loves to play the tournaments from time to time.

I loved to two man teams of DD.  I was a driver and my friend was the gunner. We were unstoppable...except when we entered crowds of racers and he goes crazy with the side swiping to the point he slides us off the side of the track. Good times.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: February 27, 2009, 10:40:03 PM »
When you've been hit with three blue shells, mowed down by a guy with a starman, and hit with a lightning bolt all within the last stretch of the final lap it get just a wee bit discouraging.
How often does that actually happen though? I can only recall one time getting hit by three blue shells in a row, and the only reason I remember it is because I have it on tape. It's very rare to be hit by somebody with a Starman after a blue shell, unless everyone is way too close for comfort, in which case everyone would be experiencing difficulty. Everyone gets smacked by Lightning and their items knocked out of them, so that shouldn't really affect you unless you were going over a jump.

I think one problem is that people tend to remember the times when items have hindered them rather than when they've helped them. For all the times you've been hit by a blue shell just before the finish line, for all the times a barrage of red shells stopped you in your tracks, for all of the times somebody with a Golden Mushroom zooms past you at the end, these same occurrences have helped you win just, if not more than, as much as they've caused you to lose.

I enjoy Double Dash!! as well. I got it after MKWii but it is still different enough from it and enough of an improvement from the previous Mario Kart games that it's worth having. The best part about it is the double characters, as then I can choose both my favourite characters, Toad and Birdo!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: February 28, 2009, 02:52:04 AM »
Perhaps your right about that Mop It, but I don't have this issue with Brawls random chaos and all round tom foolery. Though like I said before, I'll give it another try online with you guys the next time it pops up for Wi-Fi night.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 28, 2009, 03:46:34 PM »
You're the first person who has ever called me Mop It. That feels... somehow wrong.

I wonder if you're okay with Brawl's randomness because you own that game and are therefore skilled at it. Perhaps you'll get more comfortable with Mario Kart Wii after you buy it and get in some real practice.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 28, 2009, 05:16:45 PM »
I have Mario Kart Wii & I have to say getting shot up by multiple items in that home stretch does get frustrating. At times I feel like I'm being punished for my skill as a driver when I have the lead. To me intentionally hanging back in the pack then waiting for the better items on the final lap to breeze into the lead shouldn't be a viable way to race.

Guess I'm still stuck in the mentality of the older Mario Karts though I do enjoy local multiplayer since I can adjust how often those items appear.
Mission...complete?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: February 28, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »
I have Mario Kart Wii & I have to say getting shot up by multiple items in that home stretch does get frustrating. To me intentionally hanging back in the pack then waiting for the better items on the final lap to breeze into the lead shouldn't be a viable way to race.
I think there are only a few tracks which are like that. Tracks like Luigi Circuit are just too short 'n easy, which causes everyone to be all jumbled together at pretty much all times and results in a war zone. You often don't want to be in first on the final lap because the entire pack is in your rearview and who knows how many of them are packing a Starman, Bullet Bill, or Golden Mushroom. The absolute worst track would have to be DS Yoshi Fails, as it's incredibly short, wide, and has various boost pads that pretty much ensure everyone stays together.

Still, that's one thing I like about the game. The races are like snowflakes, no two are ever the same.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: February 28, 2009, 08:15:47 PM »
I have Mario Kart Wii & I have to say getting shot up by multiple items in that home stretch does get frustrating. At times I feel like I'm being punished for my skill as a driver when I have the lead. To me intentionally hanging back in the pack then waiting for the better items on the final lap to breeze into the lead shouldn't be a viable way to race.

Guess I'm still stuck in the mentality of the older Mario Karts though I do enjoy local multiplayer since I can adjust how often those items appear.

I didn't know you could do that. I thought it was just a rumor. Good to know.

You're the first person who has ever called me Mop It. That feels... somehow wrong.

I wonder if you're okay with Brawl's randomness because you own that game and are therefore skilled at it. Perhaps you'll get more comfortable with Mario Kart Wii after you buy it and get in some real practice.

Sorry about the 'Mop It' thing, I usually shorten peoples handles from time to time like Golden or Flames or Ian, but I wasn't sure how to do it with yours since it is three words. I almost did just Mop that time. I'll just not be lazy and use your full handle when needed.

About the randomness, it could be that I'm used to Brawl. Yet I've played a good number of times on friend's games. We'll see what happens when I try again.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 28, 2009, 08:23:06 PM »
I don't really understand why people like to shorten names. How much time does that really save? If I wanted to be called "Mop" then I would have made that my username! :P

In local multiplayer, you can't individually choose which items appear, which would have been nice. The item setting lets you choose between Balanced, Powerful, Strategic, or None. If you choose Strategic then you'll most often see Green Shells, Red Shells, and Bananas.

Another option that people often miss is that you can turn off the CPU players in the Battle Mode (though not in 1P battle of course).

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 02, 2009, 04:05:39 AM »
Yeah, Strategic is where I leave it.

I wouldn't mind the blue shell as much if it worked more like it first did in Mario Kart 64. Yeah, it still was after the lead kart but it traveled lower to the ground & would nail anyone in its path as well. Much more useful to the person actually firing it instead of merely screwing over the leader.
Mission...complete?

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 02, 2009, 12:04:01 PM »
I don't really understand why people like to shorten names. How much time does that really save? If I wanted to be called "Mop" then I would have made that my username! :P

It's not about saving time, dude, it's about showing familiarity.

jsyk

edit: on topic, I still am searching for this game. Haven't seen it in a store in months. :(
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 02, 2009, 02:11:38 PM »
I'm going to start calling you Mop it up.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!