Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread  (Read 243706 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #850 on: March 02, 2009, 08:59:10 PM »
I wouldn't mind the blue shell as much if it worked more like it first did in Mario Kart 64.
I agree on that, MK64 had the best blue shell. Since it was indestructible you could also hold it behind you and block an unlimited number of shells.
One nice thing about the blue shell is that only one can appear at a time. If you get one when you're close to the front of the pack, try to get into first without using it. It will be your insurance that no blue shells shall appear, and you can use it if somebody passes you near the end. Just be sure not to accidentally use it when you're in first.. unless you're wondering what it would be like to self-destruct.

edit: on topic, I still am searching for this game. Haven't seen it in a store in months. :(
I see some all of the time at Best Buy. Try checking their website to see if they have any in stock, and you can even use the in-store pickup feature to see if stores near you have any copies.

It's not about saving time, dude, it's about showing familiarity.
I'm sure that would make sense to most people but it isn't something which I understand. I know it's been going on forever and pretty much everybody has a nickname, but it just seems weird that someone can shorten somebody's name just because they've met before.

Besides, if one were to be familiar with me then they'd likely know I don't like having my name shortened. Though I suppose I shouldn't care what anyone calls me, so long as it isn't something along the lines of "you twat!"

I'm going to start calling you Mop it up.
You wouldn't be the first. I'd guess that Mop it up is pronounced as "mee-yoo".

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #851 on: March 02, 2009, 10:30:57 PM »
I never knew only one Blue shell could appear at one time in Mario Kart 64, or that it was indestructible.  I like the first point alot, but not so much the indestructible part...if that is the case you could easily hang back last and then place it behind you and use skill to get in first and then just sail through the race.

What I liked about the original blue shell is that it did not fly and could hit several people.  Really, Mario Kart 64 did several things right, but I felt the tracks were boring.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #852 on: March 02, 2009, 10:52:43 PM »
You know what I find funny?

Right now I am plowing through the 150cc Grand Prix. I went back to 50cc just to get a star in one of the cups. During that I was hit with more blue shells than at any moment in 150cc.

So it looks as if 50cc is less forgiving than 150cc, though both are brutal at times.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #853 on: March 03, 2009, 05:51:23 AM »
The N64 Blue Shell gave birth to the Bullet Bill and the Flying Shell.  One goes for first, the other mows down people AND carries your forward for a fighting chance; neither are still as powerful as lighting.

Grow up, blue shell haters.  Reggie's Big Damn Truck is coming.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 03, 2009, 11:34:25 AM »
Ah, online inventory is a good idea. I will do that!

It's not about saving time, dude, it's about showing familiarity.
Besides, if one were to be familiar with me then they'd likely know I don't like having my name shortened.

Ok, I could buy this... if you hadn't done it yourself just a few days prior!

... And then I think to myself "Dear mop ..."
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: March 03, 2009, 08:32:29 PM »
I went back to 50cc just to get a star in one of the cups. During that I was hit with more blue shells than at any moment in 150cc.
I noticed this too. It makes me wonder if the size of the first place position holder's lead has anything to do with the frequency of blue shells. It's a lot easier to get a sizable lead in 50cc than it is 150cc.

Or it could just be a coincidence. If the blue shell truly appears randomly then there will be races where there are hoards of them and possibly races where there are none at all.

While I can see how that would be inferred as such, I wasn't referring to myself in the third person; notice how "mop" isn't capitalized. I use the word "mop" in place of "god", so that expression was similar to "dear god".

You'll probably think I'm making this up, so here is an example from an older post:

and axe those mop-awful characters, they were exasperating beyond belief.
Source: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=27283.msg484903#msg484903

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 03, 2009, 11:10:08 PM »
While I can see how that would be inferred as such, I wasn't referring to myself in the third person; notice how "mop" isn't capitalized. I use the word "mop" in place of "god", so that expression was similar to "dear god".

You'll probably think I'm making this up, so here is an example from an older post:

and axe those mop-awful characters, they were exasperating beyond belief.
Source: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=27283.msg484903#msg484903

That's very interesting. I never noticed until you pointed it out that you were using mop that way. Funny. I actually do something like that at work where I playfully take my boss' name in vain. It boosts morale among the crew and she seems to get a kick out of it as well.

I also do it in games like Halo and Mario Kart when someone is pwning me.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #857 on: April 18, 2009, 04:31:25 AM »
I was just playing online and what happened was the most odd thing.A group of 3 people had items at the start of the race.They had stars,bomb-ombs, and 3 red turtle shells.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #858 on: April 18, 2009, 05:00:06 AM »
These people are what scientists refer to as "douchebags."

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #859 on: April 18, 2009, 05:17:21 AM »
What I find funny is that I beat them in one race.The other I had got pretty beat up at the start of the second race then I got disconnected from them.
Anyway I'm trying to get a few more characters.I think one is another form of Bowser.How do you get him?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline GaMMa

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 18, 2009, 08:14:44 AM »
I went back to 50cc just to get a star in one of the cups. During that I was hit with more blue shells than at any moment in 150cc.
I noticed this too. It makes me wonder if the size of the first place position holder's lead has anything to do with the frequency of blue shells. It's a lot easier to get a sizable lead in 50cc than it is 150cc.

Or it could just be a coincidence. If the blue shell truly appears randomly then there will be races where there are hoards of them and possibly races where there are none at all.
I'm thinking it's got something to do with the lead of the first player. I've noticed this in single player and multiplayer. If there's a guy way out front you'll see a lot more blue shells flying.

Another thing that I find odd with the AI is the fact that it seems like it'll always get quiet the last lap of a 150CC race up until I get around the last corner. I've had games where no action will happen, then I'll get blue shelled, red shelled and hit by someone with a star. I'll go from holding first place the entire race to 8th or 9th.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #861 on: April 18, 2009, 11:52:04 AM »
"If there's a guy way out front you'll see a lot more blue shells flying."

The inverse is true:  You'll see these items depending on the number of players in the race and how far back the last racers are, how badly they're losing.

MK will determine item appearance based on the win-loss spectrum.  After that it's a matter of when the racers decide to use these items, who then gets pwned, gets forced toward the back of the line, getting those destructive items again in a new cycle.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 18, 2009, 04:03:58 PM »
I was just playing online and what happened was the most odd thing.A group of 3 people had items at the start of the race.They had stars,bomb-ombs, and 3 red turtle shells.
This happened before you reached the first set of item boxes? If so, they were hackers.

I think one is another form of Bowser.How do you get him?
Win all of the Wii Grand Prix on 150cc with a one-star rating or better.

Another thing that I find odd with the AI is the fact that it seems like it'll always get quiet the last lap of a 150CC race up until I get around the last corner. I've had games where no action will happen, then I'll get blue shelled, red shelled and hit by someone with a star. I'll go from holding first place the entire race to 8th or 9th.
The computer players need to be cheap with items to offset their laughable skill. Stock a mushroom and drag a banana whilst in first place and you'll be able to handle just about anything.

I'm not sure on this, but I don't think the CPU players actually need to hit an item box in order to get an item. If someone has just taken the item box and they drive over the place where the box was, they'll still get an item.

You'll see these items depending on how far back the last racers are, how badly they're losing. MK will determine item appearance based on the win-loss spectrum.
Have you evidence of this? From my experience it seems that it is truly random. I've seen tons of blue shells when everyone was bunched together, and I've seen none when there was a leader way out in front.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #863 on: April 18, 2009, 05:12:05 PM »
Yeah it was the start of the race and they had them.Thanks for the tip about how to get the other Bowser.:)
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 18, 2009, 06:13:52 PM »
That's depressing that you need to get all of them with stars. I got several with A's and B's and don't know if I can get much better. Though I'll take that over playing 50cc. That is boring when I can take multiple blue shells in a row and not come close to losing my lead. I got my sis to beat some of them for me and even she got bored with them. I did randomly unlock Funky Kong when I turned on the game yesterday.

Though I must say I've turned a new leaf in MKWii. I love it now. I can't stop playing it for anything else. I think the Wi-Fi night really helped. I really don't get a whole lot of kicks from playing random people. But since I know you guys I get a greater joy out of it. With the exception of my little sister and one of my best friends in my town you guys are my first 'Wii friends'.

Pity I'm without internet at home for possibly the next month. :(
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 18, 2009, 08:46:46 PM »
Here are some tips for getting a star rank, Maxi and Stratos. It is about more than just placing first.

-Most important: place first in every race. If you don't manage this then you probably won't get a star rank.

-Place first by a large margin; at least five seconds ahead of second should do. This matters a lot more for a three-star rank than a one-star.

-Be in first place most of the race. Matters more for three-star than one-star.

-Do not run into walls.

-Do not crash into obstacles such as wandering enemies.

-Do not fall off the track.

-Never drive off-road. This includes taking shortcuts with a mushroom.

Supposedly, performing lots of tricks and mini-turbos help as well, but I don't think that's much of a factor, if any. I've gotten a three-star rank using Automatic before, meaning I couldn't get mini-turbos.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 18, 2009, 08:59:37 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the tips! I know I've gotten several multi-star rankings, I'll have to check which they are. I do know there are a few where I thought I blew it on the first race but through skill and luck I pulled a gold in the end. I do a LOT of mini turbos. I guess that's just the traditionalist in me who is used to getting as many and humanly (or inhumanly) possible in a race.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #867 on: April 18, 2009, 09:13:05 PM »
Here are some tips for getting a star rank, Maxi and Stratos. It is about more than just placing first.

-Most important: place first in every race. If you don't manage this then you probably won't get a star rank.

-Place first by a large margin; at least five seconds ahead of second should do. This matters a lot more for a three-star rank than a one-star.

-Be in first place most of the race. Matters more for three-star than one-star.

-Do not run into walls.

-Do not crash into obstacles such as wandering enemies.

-Do not fall off the track.

-Never drive off-road. This includes taking shortcuts with a mushroom.

Supposedly, performing lots of tricks and mini-turbos help as well, but I don't think that's much of a factor, if any. I've gotten a three-star rank using Automatic before, meaning I couldn't get mini-turbos.
Thanks for the tips I do most of that but some I don't.Now I'll be more aware of it.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #868 on: April 18, 2009, 09:30:59 PM »
Some of those are more recommendations. You can go off track and still get a 3 star ranking, but you can only be off track for like 1 or 2 seconds.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 18, 2009, 10:09:08 PM »
Some of those are more recommendations. You can go off track and still get a 3 star ranking, but you can only be off track for like 1 or 2 seconds.
Like I said, they are just tips, as the exact requirements are unknown. It is best not to take any risks though and follow them all if possible.

I guess that's just the traditionalist in me who is used to getting as many and humanly (or inhumanly) possible in a race.
That doesn't work as well in this game, so don't go wild. If you're trying to snake or something like it, you're really just slowing yourself down. Also, if you're using a bike, remember that wheelies > mini-turbos.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: April 19, 2009, 07:50:44 PM »
Wheelies are greater than mini-turbos but wheelie + mini-turbo is best.

It's funny, when I play GTA Chinatown Wars and am driving a bike I instinctively shake the DS trying to do a wheelie. I've done it like five times. I'm a dork  :D
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 19, 2009, 10:51:16 PM »
Wheelies are greater than mini-turbos but wheelie + mini-turbo is best.
It depends. If you have to straighten yourself out after getting a mini-turbo then you've just offset that tiny speed boost. If you won't be lined up with the next stretch then don't go for the mini-turbo.

I'm a dork  :D
I agree but that's going off topic. :P

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 20, 2009, 12:17:20 AM »
I'm going to start calling you Mop it up.

I'm going (belatedly) with 'Hey Foxymophandlemama, That’s Me'.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #873 on: April 20, 2009, 02:20:58 AM »
Win-loss spectrum was a poor word choice, it's better as "rank" spectrum.  The only racers elligible for a blue shell are in the bottom-half ranks.  I've been running 4th out of 6 racers and gotten blue shells, but never ever got a blue shell in the top-half rankings.  Distance doesn't matter, it's all about rank that makes you elligible for those hard-hitting desperation items (to get a blue shell among those desperation items, then it becomes luck).  Even if 12 racers are bunched together, there's still a 7th-12th rank, making 6 people who could potentially pick up a blue shell.

This happened before you reached the first set of item boxes? If so, they were hackers.

I think one is another form of Bowser.How do you get him?
Win all of the Wii Grand Prix on 150cc with a one-star rating or better.

The computer players need to be cheap with items to offset their laughable skill. Stock a mushroom and drag a banana whilst in first place and you'll be able to handle just about anything.

I'm not sure on this, but I don't think the CPU players actually need to hit an item box in order to get an item. If someone has just taken the item box and they drive over the place where the box was, they'll still get an item.

You'll see these items depending on how far back the last racers are, how badly they're losing. MK will determine item appearance based on the win-loss spectrum.
Have you evidence of this? From my experience it seems that it is truly random. I've seen tons of blue shells when everyone was bunched together, and I've seen none when there was a leader way out in front.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 20, 2009, 09:05:08 AM »
Hey Stratos, thanks for that ghost challenge! It was kicking my butt at first until I got desperate enough to put down the Wii Wheel & dust off the Game Cube controller(turns out it's the only way I can drive the Blue Falcon without crashing into every turn). Decided to stick with the GC controls & went back to crush many of my older time trial times & unlocking Funky Kong. Re-doing the GP races now but it doesn't look like I can do much better than 2 stars but I'll take it.
Mission...complete?