Author Topic: Day of Reckoning  (Read 5725 times)

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Day of Reckoning
« on: June 23, 2004, 11:29:58 PM »
Hey was sup ladies and gents.

This is a topic where you can talk about the upcoming game WWE Day of Reckoning.

Discuss who you want to see in it?
Your impressions on the entrances and charecter models.
Also you may discuss your favourite wrestler etc.

First of all I really do hope they have a draft lottery of some sort in there. Also Elimination chamber and I quit match ( to utilize the new submission engine ).

People Im looking forward to playing as - Renne Dupree, Chris Jercho, Christian, Batista, Eddie Guerrero and Randy Orton.

I havent watched any of the latest entrances due to technical problems and all my impressions are off pics, so please bear with me. So far Undertaker looks really good as does Mysterio although he needs a bit of touching up. Kurt Angles eyes are really bad and I pray to god that they get cleaned up.

Thats it for now.

Do not post results of raw and smackdown shows or anything as most of us live in Aus and dont get the results till a later date
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline ResidentEvilGC

• View Profile
RE:Day of Reckoning
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 12:55:41 PM »
"So far Undertaker looks really good"

I have been looking for any pictures or videos of Undertaker but have not been successfull.  Where did you find it?

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 07:00:11 PM »
www.ign.com

They're been doing daily updates on the game with bios of all the charecters.

So far they have done Kurt Angle, Undertaker, Mysterio and the Big Show.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 08:15:30 PM »
Batista? you're joking right?

HHH: "Good match, Dave. Have a cookie!"
Batista: "BLARGH"

^_______^

EDIT: Just checked IGN.
Rey Rey looks fine. His eyes are like that normally
Taker looks pretty good when he does the "where are my pupils hiding?" face.
Angle looks too round-faced.
And Big Show is passable for one ugly mofo SMACK YOUR TV hrhrhr

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 09:39:23 PM »
Nah I like Batista. Hes not "just another big guy like Tomko". He is quite fit for his size and is a fast competitor. He reminds me of Brock Lesner minus the push.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Day of Reckoning
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 09:44:06 PM »
This game is much better then WM19 or 20.  It was more playable to me at 50% done before E3 than either of those other 2 were.  Whether its the control setup or what I don't know.  But I am kinda interested in buying this one.  I haven't bought a wrestling game since sometime during the n64.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 11:21:31 PM »
So you have played it?

Do you mind writing up your impressions. Y'know graphic wise.

Also, I havent played X9 but I have played x8 and I had one major problem with it. Each time I would hit a few good moves like a superplex or Rock Bottom my opponent would be up within a few seconds. Does that still happen?

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 03:11:06 AM »

Hes not "just another big guy like Tomko". He is quite fit for his size and is a fast competitor. He reminds me of Brock Lesner minus the push.

Yeah, and the push made Lesnar "not another big guy" which hasn't happened for Dave yet. Anyway, this isn't about the game

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 01:02:31 PM »
I really hope they put stables in the game, and, that Evoloution comes out together or Flair will accompany Batista and stuff like that. It would really add to the game.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 02:21:42 PM »
You're all a bunch of freakin' marks!!!

Just kidding.

I would love to see Nick Dinsmore (a/k/a Eugene) as a playable character, but I'm thinking he is too new to the WWE roster to have been included in the game.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 03:40:26 PM »
I really do hope Eugene makes it into the game as well, although like you said thats probaly unlikley seeimg as he just recently debuted.

People like Mordecai, Eugene, Kenzo and Luther probaly have no chance of making it into this game. Also I dont think Austin, Goldberg and Lesner will be in it.

Although this might be bad for some people this does open up a few spots on the roster. People like Funaki, London and Kidman might be able to make it into this game.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 06:05:04 PM »
Kidman is way under-rated. The only problem with him is that he's injury prone. Everytime they give him a push he gets hurt and has to miss a few months.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2004, 11:57:20 AM »
I took some direct feed videos of the game for this article here.  You can catch a glimps of me in the last clip .  There is also a link to a hands on impressions I helped with on that page.

There were taken prob about a week or so before E3.  The game was in the 50-60% completion range.  Visually the game looked great  even at the stage it was at.  The wrestlers had the wet/sweaty/glare to their bodies as they should be.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2004, 09:08:27 PM »
Hmmm...whatever happened to Rick? He was always our source for wrestling games. If you out there man, I'd like to hear you impressions. You are usually dead on.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2004, 12:00:19 AM »
I band him on the internet. actually he's really busy with school and work or something  
OUT OF DATE.

Offline McBain

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2004, 11:57:54 PM »
WWF No Mercy was the greatest wrestling game ever. What made that game so great was the grappling system. Is WWE Day of Reckoning anything like this?

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 01:19:54 AM »
Maria, my mighty heart is breaking

Pants to that. WCW/NWO Revenge is hands down my favourite wrestler. The N64 actually had some great wrestling games (Attitude and No Mercy as well) but Revenge was much more fun because all I can remember is doing insane moves with Rey Mysterio

GOOOOO PLANET EDIT: I can't remember laughing so hard during any game. Awesome blol times with four players.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 01:30:00 PM »
Hey I just got Here Comes the Pain.

I dont mean this in a bad way but after comparing the 2 games I find that HCTP is much better looking, has more players, allows six people on screen at once, has elimination chamber etc while DOR has nothing. All of its new features are just rip-offs of HCTP.

What will this game have that sets it apart from HCTP?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 01:57:49 PM »
"Hey I just got Here Comes the Pain.

I dont mean this in a bad way but after comparing the 2 games I find that HCTP is much better looking, has more players, allows six people on screen at once, has elimination chamber etc while DOR has nothing. All of its new features are just rip-offs of HCTP.

What will this game have that sets it apart from HCTP?"

Probably nothing as the PS2 has successfully taken the wrestling game crown from the N64.  It's very clear to me that the Smackdown games are THQ and the WWE's main focus now.  Why THQ can't just get Aki to make these damn games again, I don't know but like EA's Bond games the WWE games have this "decent but not as good as on the N64" pattern going.  All these attempts to find a new grappling system are ridiculous because a near perfect system already exists and as Def Jam Vendetta showed it still holds up incredibly well.

Wrestlemania XIX actually was pretty decent and the ladder match was pretty fun and way, WAY better than the No Mercy ladder match (as good as the grappling in Aki's games are the cage and ladder matches are complete ass).  However the single player Revenge mode was insanely poor and the grappling system, though an improvement, was still too limiting.  The way weak grapples were handled was really hard to get used to and resulted in matches where everyone does the same damn move again and again.  And the wrestlers didn't have as many moves to pull off either.  The CAW was also pretty weak.  Sure you could customize really superfiscial stuff like the entrance taunts but the amount of moves to pick from was pretty slim.  Maybe I've just been spoiled by Fire Pro Wrestling but I think having a wide list of unique moves to choose from and some cool variations of common moves is important.

I'll give Day of Reckoning a rent if it gets decent reviews but I sincerely doubt we're going to get something classic.  With THQ publishing and the WWE calling a lot of the shots this is never going to get beyond sheer product and as a result will be only decent at best.  The WWE's stagnation due to lack of competition has spread to their games as well.

Personally I'd like Nintendo to make a new version of the NES classic Pro Wrestling.  Only without the WWE license holding them back could someone truly make a great wrestling game.  Flexible release date, freedom to work on the grappling system and tweak the AI, no pressure to make the character models look exactly like the real people, etc.  That would just be sweet and if I was a game designer it's the first game I would make.

Offline McBain

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2004, 07:49:53 PM »
I think I would give my soul for a WWE game with an improved (if that's possible) WWF No Mercy grappling system. THQ claims to have listened to the fans, but apparently this is not the case. People want the No Mercy grappling system, and they act like they dont hear us.

Does anyone know how the grappling system is for WWE DOR???

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2004, 10:21:27 PM »
Apparently its the same as Wrestlemania XIX. Im not sure if this is a good or bad thing ...but judging from Shiftys comments ....not too great.

Offline McBain

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2004, 10:40:56 PM »

Originally posted by: akdaman1
Apparently its the same as Wrestlemania XIX. Im not sure if this is a good or bad thing ...but judging from Shiftys comments ....not too great.

So should I slit my writs now or later?

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2004, 11:09:49 PM »
I've been comparing HCTP and DOR a little bit and have some new concerens

The entrances have the worst animations. The charecters walk nothing like thier supposed to and they look weird.

The wrestling looks ...ok but when compared to HCTP it looks fairly mediocre.

Now these are only video impressions but .....

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2004, 12:07:06 AM »
am i wrong or didn't i hear that there was going to be a console fire pro wrestling game?  What happend to it?  I heard it a long time ago and now what?  I dunno maybe it was only released in japan.

GOD I SO WANT FIRE PRO WRESTLING GCN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best series hands down!  THQ has really F@cked things up with WWE games IMO.

Although i liked Wrestlemania xix, the actual game isnt worth anything unless u plan on playing exhibition matches to hell.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2004, 12:15:06 AM »

but judging from Shiftys comments ....not too great.
WTF? I haven't played WMXIX so don't go my comments there.
I haven't actually played a wrestling game between WWF No Mercy (or whatever the last N64 wrestler was) and Raw 2.