Author Topic: Day Of Reckoning  (Read 3358 times)

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Day Of Reckoning
« on: June 23, 2004, 11:22:03 PM »

I have to say this is one of the most underrated games of this generation. I played this ( and beat it ) and cant believe this game only recieved scores of 7's and 8's.

The game has an intriguing storyline which isnt finished. At the end of the game a little to be continued screen comes up. Know what I want to know is what are the chances of there being a sequel? The game ended with the intention of there being a sequel but so far I have heard no news on it.

Was it canned due to low sales? Is it being kept hush-hush?

I would like to know a few peoples views on the game as well.
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: XIII
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 03:49:30 AM »
I hated this game. Got it at Christmas time-ish when Myer had the big 50% off GC games sale. The enemies were crappy, they hardly reacted when you shot them. You'd just get a "POW" or "BORT" visual sound effect, and they'd keep shooting at you. Levels were boring, too. Very little interaction with the surroundings.

Oh well, it made some decent use of the cel shaded graphics, though.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 05:45:15 AM »
akdaman, it got blasted for being just another graphics-reliant run-off-the-mill FPS.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
RE:XIII
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 12:09:46 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
akdaman, it got blasted for being just another graphics-reliant run-off-the-mill FPS.

Yeah I know ...and that really dissapoints me. Although the AI aint the greatest the interactivity with the surroundings were quite impressive. This is the only game ( beside MGS ) where I actually like stealth. Theres no better feeling then when you throw a knife into someones head and that little screen comes up.

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 07:42:46 PM »
What made the game suck for me was the horrible animation.  The way the enemies reacted to gunshots (or not reacted) was horrible.  The way you broke boxes and glass. His punch animation was jerky and useless.  Ubisoft did a very sloppy job.  It could have been much better.  I purchased it just recently for 19 bucks.  About 15 of those dollars I payed for the multiplayer, the other 4 i payed for  the single player part.  its not worth much more than that.  Not the quality id expect from a publisher like ubisoft.
"If you can read these letters, Your waisting your time..."
---------------------------------------

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 04:38:39 AM »
The GC multiplayer on XIII is all kinds of screwed up.  I don't believe you can pick your character, at all.  It seems characters are assigned to controller ports.  L4M3!  The painful voice acting also irritated to no end.  They had no power, no umph, so I really question why they had it there in the first place.  Comic books don't talk, right?

As a side note, what is UP with Ubi Soft and cliffhanger endings?  I wouldn't mind it so much except that they always do it for games they probably have no intention of making a sequel to, like XIII and Beyond Good and Evil.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 12:24:38 PM »
I don't think they knew beforehand they wasn't going to make a sequel, where beforehand they kept the option open in case sales would recommend one.  

Offline alvinaloy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 01:20:54 PM »
Apologies, but I played the Xbox version. Loved it. Underrated indeed. Goes straight into the list of underrated games from Ubisoft (along with PoP and BG&E and some other titles which I can't remember at the moment)  

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 02:24:33 PM »
Its underratted but Ubisoft could have done a much better job if they had more time. Only 13 weapons? No rewards what so-ever for completing the game. And the worst multi-player ever. They could have fixed this. Still ...the game is underratted. I liked the single-player and could only imagine what it would be like if it was co-op ....ahhhhh

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 06:03:58 PM »
The main beef I have here is the comment "only 7's and 8's".  I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned there's no reason for XIII to go above that.  

Here's how my little internal scoring definitions pan out.  I just came up with this as a guide for myself recently, so it may not apply to some of my older reviews:
10 - Classic
9 - Must Play
8 - Excellent
7 - Good
6 - Enjoyable with significant problems
5 - Little to find interest in, more problems
4 - Poor
3 - Terrible
2 - Classically awful (ET, Bebe's Kids)
1 -  Broken, unplayable
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 09:42:52 AM »
I think a lot of people have inflated expectations for videogame scoring systems...have you ever heard someone say they won't buy a game that scored lower than 9 in reviews?  It's understandable since games are so expensive, but I think a lot of people expect any half-decent game to get an 8 or more.  Of course, I'm guilty of that inflated expectation myself at times.

Anyway, I haven't played XIII...it was always on my radar, but I don't think I'll ever get around to it now...even games that were really high on my list last year are starting to get shoved down by the likes of Tales of Symphonia and Pikmin 2.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 09:54:38 AM »
"I don't think they knew beforehand they wasn't going to make a sequel, where beforehand they kept the option open in case sales would recommend one."

That's a lame excuse.  Videogames don't need cliffhanger endings to justify a sequel.  You just make one.  If the focus of the game is the gameplay, like it SHOULD be and like all classic games are, then having the storyline continue right where it left off isn't important.  Weak games have cliffhanger endings because the story is all they got.

I figured XIII wouldn't be that hot once it became apparent that the hype for this game was entirely about the graphic style.  If this game had typical EA 007 game graphics no one would have given it a second look.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 10:02:00 AM »
"I think a lot of people have inflated expectations for videogame scoring systems...have you ever heard someone say they won't buy a game that scored lower than 9 in reviews?"

I used to be one of those people back in the 64 era, particularly with 3rd party titles...But I changed my ways after playing the 6-7ish review-ranged Mischief Makers which is one of my favorite games... *Shake shake!*  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 10:51:40 AM »
FINALLY!! Someone brings up Mischief Makers!!  That game was the best.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2004, 12:21:23 PM »
XIII was fun, but gameplay was not as different the graphical style so it got nocked a lot.  It is still a very fun game.    

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2004, 11:07:47 PM »
The graphics are what make it so good. Any way Bloodworth has a really good point, it has too many problems too warrant itself a 9.

I truly reccomend this game to anyone. I got it for $50 AUD. Aint i lucky.