Author Topic: Nintendo DS Interview  (Read 12470 times)

Offline Outlaw

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo DS Interview
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2004, 11:23:24 PM »
I made a quick design of Nintendo DS too, utilizing elements from both GBA SP and SNES controller (for you retro freaks ) .. Check it out below, comments appreciated:

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/villepiia/misc/ninds.gif  

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo DS Interview
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2004, 05:36:13 AM »
that thing would be hell to fit in your pocket.  if the system is going to have analog control, nintendo would need to find a way to make it recessed or covered up when not in use.  otherwise it's going to be too fragile for a portable system.  also, you forgot to put a headphone jack in the system.  

i swear, if nintendo leaves out the headphone jack, ... i will do absolutely nothing.  but i'll be sad.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2004, 06:14:12 AM »
That's a pretty cool mockup Outlaw.  Though I'm wondering why you included a memory card slot.  This is a cartridge based system so really there's no need for it.

An analog stick is definitely something that would be hard to pull off on a portable and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo didn't include one.  We're not even really sure if this thing can do 3D anyway.  I suppose they could make a removable analog stick that you screw in but that's probably asking for trouble.

And I agree that this thing needs a headphone jack.  If an adapter is needed to make it fit that's fine as long as it comes with the damn system.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2004, 07:42:54 AM »
... Hm... If that thing were compatible with the iQue's memcard...
HM! They said it uses one Gig of rewritable (I think Lik-Sang said that) memory, right? And it's supposed to play back old titles as well, right? That'd make sense... What kind of CPU did the N64 use? Could the DS run its games?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2004, 08:01:35 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
That's a pretty cool mockup Outlaw.  Though I'm wondering why you included a memory card slot.  This is a cartridge based system so really there's no need for it.
i assume outlaw was thinking thinking the ds will be backwards compatable.  it can take gba cartridges, but it will primiarily use sd memory cards for ds specific games.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2004, 08:23:33 AM »
Screens placed in a vertical position, huh?.....hmmmm........OMG!  Gimme some arcade Super Punch Out!! and Arm Wrestling!!

Offline GameTavern

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2004, 09:44:05 AM »
here is my rendering that i made last night, the screens rotate to either have the handheld show only the screens, or have the buttons and the screens.

http://genesiscustomhomes.com/erase/finalgif.gif here

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2004, 10:28:39 AM »
That's a nice design, Tavern, but the screens are arranged vertically, not horizontally.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2004, 10:50:18 AM »
Very nice, though there's a lot of empty space on the button face...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2004, 06:02:31 PM »
that was nice but it was kind odd looking
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline CYBERSTAR

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2004, 06:55:46 PM »
great another idea thats going to take money time and resources away from the cube .
whats the point of 2 screens when you can only look at 1 at a time surley a button for alternate veiws would be better and not to mention cheaper .
i can see this ending up as the next virtual boy .

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2004, 07:04:26 PM »
Ugh...the ignorance of most people is blinding...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2004, 08:00:35 PM »
Maybe an analog stick would be impractical, but they could slap on an analog pad. I'm not sure, but I think back when K/Nights (not sure how that's spelled) came out on Sega's Saturn (or was it Genesis/32X?) there was also an analog pad... Well, even if there's never been such a thing, Nintendo could make one.. if they wanted.. easy ways to do it..

Offline CYBERSTAR

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2004, 10:47:09 PM »
whats so ignorant about wanting nintendo to concentrate on some good games for cube rather than bring out this waste of space time and money !
it'll end up as no more than a souped up gb with 2 screens .
what can be done with 2 screens can easily be done with alternate veiws.

the cube has seen over an 80% rise in sales this christmas and instead of putting that money into making games for the cube there doing the n5 and this junk .
am i the only one that thinks this is wrong ?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2004, 12:27:26 AM »
Don't they have enough money to make both GC games AND the DS?
Also, the DS is obviously meant to counter the PSP, they said it won't replace the GBA so they aren't officially short-cycling it.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2004, 01:03:57 AM »
Well, I don't think it was designed to counter the PSP, but that's likely how Nintendo will market it.  Unfortunately, I think that if Nintendo doesn't get out the gate a few months early, PSP will completely overshadow this thing.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2004, 08:30:31 AM »

Don't they have enough money to make both GC games AND the DS?

I don't think money is a problem for Nintendo, but Cyberstar's point is that Nintendo will have to put their top developpers behind this system to prepare it for a good start- meanwhile taking away from Cube.  
The good news is for doubters like Cyberstar and myself is that with early 3rd party support from Konami and Namco (and I'm sure there is more to come), Nintendo hopefully won't be the only one filling up the DS's library, so soon after its launch, they can go back to focusing on the GCN or better yet, creating fun and useful connectivity options between the GCN and DS.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Dynamitega

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2004, 08:52:34 AM »
I like this mockup the best, although I don't think it'll look anything like this...

NDS Concept Art

Offline mtg101

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2004, 05:14:25 AM »
After reading this thread I thought I'd like toengage in some wild speculation too...

I'm not convinced that we really know what 'vertically aligned' screens means.  I think in between translation from the Japanese, and then being relayed via a PR person... it could mean anything.  It would mean, so most people seem to think, that there will be two landscape oritentated screens one above each other.  Or 'vertical alignment' may mean the screens are in portrait mode.

Now... how about I speculate that this is a follow-up to the VB?  I've seen single LCD screens that can display basic parallax 3D by projecting different images to each eye, without the need for stereo glasses.  Now what if each of these 3" screens, in portrait mode, display different images to each eye, giving an even better 3D effect?

Or maybe taking the landscape screen idea - what if the whole device splits in two?  Imagine that each screen has a controller built in along with its own processor memory and battery - so each could be operated by a different person for collabarative or players v's player games.  The link betwen the two could be wireless or just a cable that pulls out when the two halves are separated.

Expanding on the splitting apart of the device - let's think Animal Crossing. The lower screen is your character - their stats, inventory, etc etc.  The top screen is your village, where you wander around.  Now what if you want to visit your friends village?  Well you both snap off your top screens from your NDS, swap them, and attach your friends upper screen to your lower screen. If each half of the NDS has memory, processor, battery and screen this would be possible I think.

I think I have a problem just thinking that this there's nothing more to the NDS that having two screen, one for the main game, one for the map screen or something.  I mean how is that different to just having a larger screen and using half for the game and half for the map? Any why would the system need multiple processors for this?  (or does it just mean seperate video processors for each screen?)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2004, 06:38:54 AM »
"Unfortunately, I think that if Nintendo doesn't get out the gate a few months early, PSP will completely overshadow this thing."

I think that's likely as well considering the huge hype the PSP will have going in regardless of what games are available at launch.  I'm hoping that like virtually every non-Nintendo portable ever made the PSP will have some crucial flaw that will kill any chance of it taking off be that battery drainage, high price, potential skipping with the discs, fragile design, etc.  However Sony fans are the same people that accept the fact that they may have to buy a replacement PS2 while the console is still current so they're willing to overlook crappy hardware more than others.

While I think the concept of a two screen portable is pretty cool the timing of its release might not be ideal.  When a serious competitor is entering the market the last thing you want to do is take a big creative risk that may not be accepted by the mainstream audience.  The time to take creative risks is when you're in a comfortable position and can afford to have a blunder.  The Virtual Boy for example was released during the height of the SNES' popularity so when it bombed it didn't totally f*ck them up... until the N64 was released at least.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2004, 09:20:23 AM »
Nintendo is known for innovation, not better technology or anything. They need to stay a step ahead of its competition in the creative area or they'll lose their appeal.