Author Topic: Building A Computer - $800 Budget - New Build for 2021!!  (Read 104951 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Building A Computer - $800 Budget - Complete System - bought!!!!
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2011, 01:08:47 PM »
I just moved and rearranged my whole setup.

I really liked having a monitor next to the bed, but I also needed one for the desk, so now I have a 3 monitor setup in my room.

Monitor 1 & 3 are mirrored, one at the bed and one at the computer desk.
Monitor 2 is the TV in the middle of the 1 & 3

I'm gonna try and post a pic later after I figure out this router bridging and custom FW thing.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2011, 06:48:41 PM »
Three monitors and you mirrored two of them?! :(

I've been running three 24" Acer monitors for a few years now. I have them all running as one expanse through my SLI setup though. I pretty much require the space for business, though it does work pretty well when it comes to fun. Someday I'll buy a trio of super thin bezel screens and a nice connected stand.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2011, 03:21:23 AM »
I have to take pic, but the mirrored screens are on opposite sides of the room. one at the desk and the other at the foot of the bed. the TV is in the middle.

Excuse the mess.... still unpacking from the move.

but left monitor is for bed surfing, middle TV is for all media such as netflix, hulu, torrents, etc etc. Right monitor is mostly for work... maybe for gaming (once I get a better wired mouse & keyboard).

edit: I forgot to mention that i also have a dual mouse and keyboard setup too.
wired at the desk, wireless at the bed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:18:48 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 01:09:51 PM »
I have a question.

Since I have a dual Mouse/kb set up, I have a wired mouse and keyboard next to the computer plugged in through the dedicated mouse and kb plugs, and then a wireless mouse/kb next to the bed.

If I get a new wired m/kb that plugs in through the USB and is also Logitech like the wireless ones, will that cause interference?

p.s. My current keyboard is **** <number row keys & the Ctrl buttons don't work most of the time> and the mouse has a ball <I constantly have to lift the mouse and reset it's position on the pad to cover the entire screen... and that's not even trying to use the 2nd screen.>
Both the kb & mouse I'm looking at are USB as I don't think they make optical mice non-usb.

Here is the Kb/m combo I'm looking at

Kb: Both $59.99
Logitech Illuminated Ultra Thin Keyboard
Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard (I don't need all the extra keys, but some of them may come in handy)

Mouse: $45.99
Logitech MX518 High Performance Gaming Mouse

But if anyone has any suggestions for cheaper, but quality illuminated keyboards and 3+ button mice.
Please feel free to shoot me a suggestion

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 02:46:50 PM »
I've used the Illuminated Ultra Thin before. I had it set up on my second machine for a while. It looks nice, but was way too thin for my tastes. The keys all felt shallow and had very little tactile feedback. Furthermore, the labels on popular keys began to wear off after only a few months of use. I've also used the MX518 and absolutely hated it. The buttons are placed inconveniently, the mouse is rather narrow, has an odd shape, and the DPI is painfully low for games and graphic design.

Given the price range of the components you listed, I'd suggest looking at Razer products instead. I haven't been able to find a better mouse/keyboard combo than the Lycosa and Deathadder. I've used them both on my main rig for about two years now. I don't think I could ever go back to anything else at this point. :)

Pretty much any peripheral you find nowadays will be USB (or Bluetooth). Usually you end up with a USB dongle for wireless even. That said, you can easily find USB to PS2 adapters. There's really no reason to do that however, unless you are completely out of USB ports. Though, you'd probably be better off getting a cheap hub then.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:50:57 PM by Morari »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 03:05:18 PM »
Waaay too many bad reviews for the keyboard, but I like what I've seen of that mouse. I've seen a pic of the mouse before, but I didn't know what it was called, so I wasn't sure where to start looking.

Oh, I have about 6-8 USB ports on the back of my computer and another 2 in the front.
I'm not using most of them, so USB ports is not an issue.

I'm more concerned if the wired USB m/kb will run interference with the wireless USB m/kb since they are both running through USB than if I have enough USB ports.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
The bad reviews are all pretty silly though. Almost all them sound as if the user couldn't be bothered to disable (or properly setup) their macro keys.

You shouldn't encounter any issues. Modern operating systems can generally support multiple input devices without getting too confused about it.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2011, 05:51:25 PM »
Logitech is a good brand. That said, why are you looking at the "Gaming" subset? Stuff with that label is never as good as it's unlabeled or any other label variant. "Gaming" variants usually mean slapping more buttons on it regardless of usability or utility, lights and ridiculous gimmicks like adjustable weights. Even things like DPI modifiers for "Sniping" is asinine and will not make you a better player if you are not inherently good in the first place.

I only use a Logitech M505 and it's perfectly fine and wireless is your friend. Unless it's a vector based mouse, there is no "Lag" no matter how much the g4m3r 133t will trying to tell you otherwise. Freeing your mouse from that cord is one of the few things that will improve your game if nothing else, it's one less thing to drag around in a firefight.

As for the keyboard, don't fret too much over it too much. Get something IBM Model M like as a base line and you're set. There is little to gain from putting out for too many extra premium features. As long as it has full key set   keypad, a couple extra media keys for things like volume and eject, feels good in a test at the local shop, you have got it made.

If your going completely wireless, Unifying receivers is something to look at even if it there to make things tidy and allow you to place the receiver where you want for better reception.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2011, 06:57:15 PM »
Well let me state what I'm looking for again and then maybe you can point me towards something that fits that.

Full wired keyboard that is backlit. Media buttons is a definite plus.
Wired optical mouse with  3 buttons 2 top buttons, 2 side buttons and a clickable scroll wheel. ( by 3 buttons I meant the scroll wheel button and two side buttons. Top buttons where already assumed).

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2011, 11:47:38 AM »
Logitech is a good brand. That said, why are you looking at the "Gaming" subset? Stuff with that label is never as good as it's unlabeled or any other label variant. "Gaming" variants usually mean slapping more buttons on it regardless of usability or utility, lights and ridiculous gimmicks like adjustable weights. Even things like DPI modifiers for "Sniping" is asinine and will not make you a better player if you are not inherently good in the first place.

That is often very true, and not just with peripherals. That's why I'm such a fan of the specific Razer products I pointed out. They're super high quality with very little in the way of gimmicks. It's getting harder and harder to find keyboards at any price point with a normal layout and get tactile feedback.

I hate wireless mice and keyboards. Mice especially. They lag something horrible.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2011, 12:04:43 PM »
Yeah, I went through about 5 mice getting and returning until I found the upgraded version of the Deathadder for less then the previous version and a good price for what I wanted, I needed more then the stander set of buttons.  I have to say its a solid mouse in every sense of the word.  You could probably beat somebody with it and it be ok.  Responsive, the side buttons aren't the little type which I enjoy the size.  Its a very solid mouse.  I highly recommend it.  I can't help you on Keyboard.  I love my Natural Ergonomic 4000 for work where I'm typing all the time but it stinks for gaming.  Though I do have a Logitech G13 for WoW.  Before that I had the Saitek Pro Commander.  The Logitech mouse I own and like is no longer available.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2011, 12:17:46 PM »
Deathadder looks and sounds good.

But I really want a backlit keyboard that isn't likely to give me technical problems.
Really leaning towards the Logitech Illuminated, but I'm not against the Lycosa if the price is right.

I'm not buying them right now, so if you guys see anything go on sale, please let me know.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2011, 12:53:05 PM »
But I really want a backlit keyboard that isn't likely to give me technical problems.
Really leaning towards the Logitech Illuminated, but I'm not against the Lycosa if the price is right.

Like I said, the Logitech is decent. I hate that the keys are shallow, but others might like it because of that. It makes touch typing so much more difficult for me. Be wary though, the key labels will wear out very quickly. They're not etched in or anything. Continuous use will see them fade over just several months. On the other hand, I've been using the Lycosa for about two years with absolutely no issues. It is a pricier keyboard, but I'm also extremely picky in what I like in keyboards. It has the right layout, the right feel to the buttons, I can remove the dumb wrist rest, plus it has added goodies like illumination, media keys, and a non-slip coating that I've really grown to appreciate. I'd take most of the bad reviews with a grain of salt, as it sounds as if most of the people simply don't know how to setup (or outright disable) the macro keys. ;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2011, 01:04:17 PM »
It's description says "Laser Etched"

Lycosa would match the mouse and they both would glow the same blue as my computer, so that would also be a nice touch.

It really comes down to can I find both a kb/m on sale, and that will heavily influence my decision.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2011, 02:12:43 PM »

Lycosa would match the mouse and they both would glow the same blue as my computer, so that would also be a nice touch.

It really comes down to can I find both a kb/m on sale, and that will heavily influence my decision.
lol, Talking about things that glow blue I have a mouse pad that glows blue around its rim.  (I have it mostly because it designates an area for my Son to not play with his trucks while I'm trying to do stuff on the computer.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2011, 03:04:04 PM »

I don't know how that would be true...
I'll have to dig the thing out and take some photos to post. My home row keys are almost entirely clear at this point, with no letter stencil left on to to make for a label.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2020, 11:55:51 PM »
BLAST FROM THE PAST!!!!

I can't believe it's been 10 years since the last computer build.... that doesn't seem right.
No... after looking at the build list, I've build a new computer since then... maybe 4-5 years ago.

Anyway, it's that time again. the build I had in this thread I had to dust off, as the computer downstairs took a crap. The 10yr old build isn't booting correctly, and I may mess with it to see if I can get it up and running again, but I figured that I might want to build another new computer, and just move my current one downstairs.

I know the general look of the case I want, full clear side, multi-color LED fans that I can switch on and off.

I haven't decided on a budget, or when this build would actually start... but just looking for some general ideas on case, chips, boards, ram, video card, cooling, etc etc.

I have no idea what's hot right now, or what to avoid or look out for.

I may or may not use this for gaming....
Definitely for media and multi-tasking. Ability to be more than capable for todays games would be nice.
Let's aim for $800 price tag on this and see where we end up.

edit:
Thanks to kraken I have found the perfect system for what I'm looking for.
Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System

Only problem is the price. Does anyone know where to get a really good deal on this or something very very similar?

Can I just say I'm still using this system. It's pretty awesome and sounds just as good today as it did originally.
edit2: found a new one online....https://www.amazon.com/Z-5500-Digital-THX-Multimedia-Speakers/dp/B0006HBCL8

Going for $1800/$2000+ NEW O_O
I got mine for $300/$400 10 years ago....
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 02:09:16 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Building A Computer - $800 Budget - New Build for 2021!!
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2020, 10:27:32 PM »
For price/performance, I'd recommend Ryzen 3600 or above. Just make sure when you get a motherboard, that whatever memory you get is on their qualified vendor list. It had been about a decade since I last did a build, so I figured memory is memory (as long as it's DDR4). Wrong! Things have gotten so finicky today that if you don't have exactly the right memory, it won't boot! Defintely threw me for a loop. :(

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2020, 08:51:36 PM »
Ok, so I got the new Oculus Quest 2, which is very cool, but I hooked up the Link cable for some additional games, and they took every opportunity to remind me that my computer is old and out of date.... I could look up my current specs from this build 5+ years ago, but what does it matter.

(edit: AMD FX-6100 3.3Ghz w/ 16GB RAM
AMD Radeon 7700 w/ 1GB of GDDR5)

I plan to do a minor upgrade on this computer and give it to my daughter. Will likely just upgrade the video card and maxx out the RAM. (I edited in current specs above.... what would be a modest upgrade?)

but now I really want to build me a new computer. So here are the minimum specs recommended by the Oculus site. Let's use this as a starting point to help me build an upper class gaming computer.  :D

i'm going to assume the GPU's are listed weakest to best and sorted by family in the Nvidia case.

edit: and is there a good site to virtually put together a system so you can check compatibility and price as you swap out parts?

edit: I remembered that NewEGG had a PC builder. so I did minimal research as I went through the list and put together a system. Tell me what you think (p.s. It's double the budget of last time....)
https://newegg.io/c7a45eb

although for visual purposes, I was thinking of switching out the selected RAM in the list for 2x the below:

just so the RAM glows too.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 11:06:52 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2020, 02:48:23 AM »
I thought I posted my new PC specs, but there must be another thread floating around with those details.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ph9WMc

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING SE-224-XT Basic 76.16 CFM CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING X Video Card  ($479.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($92.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($139.88 @ Other World Computing)
Custom: NOLYTH External Bluray Drive 5-in-1 External Blu Ray Drive USB3.0 Bluray Drive Player Burner for Laptop/MacBook/Windows10/PC with SD TF Card Reader/2 USB3.0 Hub/BD-ROM/R/RE  ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1542.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-31 02:43 EST-0500

Got some better prices than what they show now, built it this Fall and its kinda shocking how nice everything runs. I don't play most of the modern games but I was able to run Ark Survival Evolved on max settings and it ran silky smooth, so it should get the job done for most of the games I want to play. Star Wars Squadrons looks nice too.

It was about $1400 including tax and shipping for everything. It was a bit higher than I planned, but this was meant to future proof myself for a while. Only thing I'll potentially upgrade is the GPU and CPU down the line and additional SSD storage as the cost of that goes down, but won't need to worry about that for at least 5 years.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2020, 04:04:38 AM »
I started looking around on that site above, putting together a second build to see if I can do it cheaper or consider some other parts...

but while playing around trying to get Roblox on the Oculus 2, I realized that the old video card I have is not VR Ready so I need to upgrade it. I just dropped an AMD RX 580 in the amazon cart to upgrade my current PC, but I still want to build a new PC to blow this one out the water.

So is it better to go with Nvidia or AMD when it comes to new GPU's?
who's killing it right now, and what do you think of my build posted above?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 04:54:39 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2020, 04:54:15 AM »
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jvd6K3

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor   $324.95   

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler   $139.99   

Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard   $219.99

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory   $162.99      

Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive   $184.99   

Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card   $489.99

Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 ARGB ATX Mid Tower Case   $89.99   

Power Supply: SeaSonic X 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply   $105.21   

Base Total:   $1718.10      
Shipping:   $7.99      
Total:   $1726.09

how did I do?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2021, 07:49:23 PM »
So I looked up the motherboard on my current computer and I have a:
MSI 970a-G34: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/970A-G46#support-test

I believe I have a better CPU than the recommended minimum CPU for VR support (FX-4350) to go with the GPU upgrade I already bought. You think this will run the Oculus link well enough until I build my new computer?

Current specs:
AMD FX-6100 3.3Ghz w/ 16GB RAM
AMD Radeon 7700 w/ 1GB of GDDR5

Just bought a Radeon RX 580 to replace the 7700, and I think the CPU I have exceeds the minimum requirement, assuming higher numbers mean better processor. Do you think that will do?

or should I just scrap this system and build a new one for my daughter and a new one for me too?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 08:20:55 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2021, 05:23:40 PM »
I originally planned to upgrade my old PC piecemeal but ran into issues with compatibility which is why I ended up going with a completely new build. If I upgraded one thing it broke compatibility with others because of the overall age of my old system. So my vote would be to build new ones for both if you can afford it, as it should be cheaper in the long run and better ensure compatibility.

Plus it could be a fun father-daughter activity to build them together. A lot of it is fairly straightforward unless you want to attempt overclocking but that isn't really necessary for average play and enjoyment of a system.

The consensus up until last Fall was that AMD was cheaper but had some driver compatibility issues so overall people preferred Nvidia. The new GPUs and CPUs seem to have shifted that somewhat and leveled it out. You probably won't go wrong with either assuming you can fin them in stock (both are suffering supply issues due to Covid/logistics as well as the new launch attracting extra launch interest from users and scalpers). I went with Nvidia because I found an older TI edition for a great deal and I did not feel like risking driver compatibility hell though some say that issue is very much overplayed.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2021, 08:52:58 PM »
Well, I'm currently on the lookout for the RTX 3060ti if you happen know where to find one. Preferably the 3 fan Gigabyte or MSi versions with RGB.

I got a GPU to help the current computer along for a while, but may make a mid tier build/upgrade for my daughter
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 08:55:05 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »