Author Topic: New The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Trailer  (Read 8583 times)

Offline Penguin_Of_Thyme

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
New The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Trailer
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:09:25 AM »

The new Skyward Sword trailer for Comic Con reveals that Gorons will once again be inhabiting the game world.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/video/27233

Nintendo has released a new The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword trailer for Comic Con.

While the trailer does feature quite a bit of the same footage found in the E3 trailer, there are a few new moments, including Link swinging from vines and the first look at a Goron in the game.

Check out the trailer below (as well as the trailer in reverse if you would prefer to hear Zelda's Lullaby).

Jared Rosenberg
Video Producer, Nintendo World Report

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Re: New The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Trailer
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:25:11 AM »
waiter? i didn't order the annoying mario galaxy ball rolling, retarded leaf person, or slowww vine swinging in my zelda.  :-[
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 02:35:46 AM »
Nintendo: No idea from previous games left behind!

Aonuma loves talking about surprise yet he recycles OOT themes like mad.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 02:42:48 AM »
Oh look, Zelda's shown to be nearly useless and easy to kidnap for likely most of the game.   ::)   This is completely unprecedented.  You keep bringing that Innovation and Shaking Up the Formula, Aonuma!

And Gorons?  Really?  I enjoyed them in Ocarina and Majora (and tolerated them in Twilight Princess and Wind Waker), but could we perhaps get a new race of people to interact with (and this goes for the Zoras, too, who we will likely also see in the game)?  I guess Aonuma's crew used up all their imagination on the city in the sky.  *sigh*  It's really looking like this franchise needs to be completely scrapped and rebuilt from the ground-up, as this game is looking very far from the "new and exciting" game that would shake-up the status quo that Aonuma promised all those years ago.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:45:37 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 03:05:15 AM »
Right, so because the game includes a race you've seen before, the entire product is therefore completely devoid of imagination and creativity. I've heard of jumping to conclusions, but...

This trailer seems to be almost identical to the E3 one, albeit with a few additional clips. Honestly, I'd rather keep it that way - it's so rare these days to be able to go into a game cold turkey.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 03:11:37 AM »
Right, so because the game includes a race you've seen before, the entire product is therefore completely devoid of imagination and creativity.

No, the inclusion of the Gorons is symptomatic of the overall stagnation of the franchise, but the game really started to show that when gameplay footage came out these last two E3s.  Usually when Nintendo has something new and creative/gimmicky to show off, they can't help but splash it all over the trailers and gameplay demos.  So far, the two things they've shown off is that you can steer a bird around using a completely unnecessary Wiimote control method, and when you swing the remote you get a sword-swing that roughly approximates your movement so long as it conforms to certain specified angles.

What we've seen so far in these trailers and footage (aside from the Beetle item, which does look like it has interesting possibilities) just looks like more of the same, and that's disappointing so far.  Even the Motion Plus swordplay looks like it's going to be used the same way that the horizontal/vertical/stabbing slices were used in previous Zelda game, rather than something more free-form and personalized.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:18:21 AM by broodwars »

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 03:23:42 AM »
Usually when Nintendo has something new and creative/gimmicky to show off, they can't help but splash it all over the trailers and gameplay demos.

That, I do agree with. So far, they've shown nothing of the overworld and very little of the dungeons, which are perhaps elements that are difficult to demonstrate during a short play session at E3. I would like to keep it that way for the reasons I explained before. For once, I don't want to know too much about a game before I play it.

In the past, combat was never something that I thought Legend of Zelda titles particularly excelled at. Even though it's not the thing I most enjoy about this franchise, if they can make each encounter interesting in Skyward Sword, each enemy somewhat of a puzzle, I'm all for it.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:34:55 AM »
Oh look, Zelda's shown to be nearly useless and easy to kidnap for likely most of the game.   ::)   This is completely unprecedented.  You keep bringing that Innovation and Shaking Up the Formula, Aonuma!

And Gorons?  Really?  I enjoyed them in Ocarina and Majora (and tolerated them in Twilight Princess and Wind Waker), but could we perhaps get a new race of people to interact with (and this goes for the Zoras, too, who we will likely also see in the game)?  I guess Aonuma's crew used up all their imagination on the city in the sky.  *sigh*  It's really looking like this franchise needs to be completely scrapped and rebuilt from the ground-up, as this game is looking very far from the "new and exciting" game that would shake-up the status quo that Aonuma promised all those years ago.

Oh give me a f*cking break.  Just because a Goron is in the game, it's suddenly a rehash?  Never mind the fact that the same damn trailer shows a new race of mole type people that live in the ground and some type of fuzzy forest creature that's never been in previous Zelda's either.  By you logic every Mario game is a rehash of the original because Bowser is in them.

No, the inclusion of the Gorons is symptomatic of the overall problem, but the game really started to show that when gameplay footage came out these last two E3s.  Usually when Nintendo has something new and creative/gimmicky to show off, they can't help but splash it all over the trailers and gameplay demos.  What we've seen so far (aside from the Beetle item, which does look like it has interesting possibilities) just looks like more of the same, and that's disappointing.  Even the Motion Plus swordplay looks like it's going to be used the same way that the horizontal/vertical/stabbing slices were used in previous Zelda game.

Only it's not considering you have to actually target certain parts of enemies to hurt them now because a lot of them block, which makes the combat a lot more strategic then any of the previous 3D Zelda's.

But to you, because Link wears green and swings a sword it's an instant rehash.  ::)

Your entire argument revolves solely around the fact Link looks like he does from previous Zelda's and swings a sword.  Never mind the fact the actual combat is quite different now, the overworld and dungeon structure has been completely changed up from previous Zelda's, and we've already seen quite a few new enemies and characters that have never appeared in other Zelda's.  So far, the new in Skyward Sword out ways the old by about 98%, but because Link wears green, has a sword, and there's a random Goron standing in the woods, you declare the game nothing more then an expansion pack of Twilight Princess and demand the serious be started over again.

Go to 4chan if you want to do that type of pathetic trolling.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Go to 4chan if you want to do that type of pathetic trolling.

Hey now. It was way too many words for that place.

Though I'm really excited for Skyward Sword, I can understand the desire for radical change and disdain for the lack of apparent change in the Zelda. While there are other game series that haven't changed much within them, Zelda has the burden of 25 years of characters, tropes, systems, and other devices shadowing it. It is understandable that there is fatigue for the series especially when some took Twilight Princess as too much deja vu.

That said, I'm eager to play Skyward Sword once it comes out. I hope that Nintendo has learned that it's not okay to pad a game and that it's okay for a Zelda to be shorter and tighter experience.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 10:01:53 AM »
I thought it looks quiet different for the most part.  IS anyone really surprised to see the ball from Galaxy?  It almost screamed Zelda puzzle tool.  Not sure I like the look of this Zelda.

Anyone else thought that most of the trailer worked pretty darn well backwards?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 10:23:23 AM »
Maybe I'm a shallower gamer than I originally thought, but I'm sold on this game on the beauty of the visuals alone. This game looks STUNNING.

Offline Tanshin

• View Profile
    • Nintendo Addict
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 10:39:10 AM »
I have to say, watching that trailer backwards was really satisfying (both because of Zelda's Lullaby and because it was backwards :P ). At first I was really thrown by the art style, but now that I'm watching it doesn't seem so bad. Link definitely looks best when he has the tunic on, and I think this applied in Twilight Princess as well. I still can't get past the size of his lips though...

I'm also unsure about this whole "Zelda is a childhood friend thing." I've always kinda wanted them to be friends but, does this mean that she isn't any form of nobility? I always preferred it when she was.
Myst Online KI Number: 03211339

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 10:44:08 AM »
The Link/Zelda in Minish Cap were strongly implied - if not outright said - to have been friends for a long time as well.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Tanshin

• View Profile
    • Nintendo Addict
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 10:48:18 AM »
* Tanshin reminds himself to go try Minish Cap...

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 11:29:42 AM »
Isn't Aonuma on record saying that he gave up on playing Zelda 1 and LttP because they were too tough?  He probably never even played Zelda 2.  Why is this guy in charge of this series?  Zelda games used to be CHALLENGING ACTION GAMES.  Aonuma's games are easy and dull.  I don't know who likes these puzzles he keeps putting in these games, but they bore the sh** out of me.  Shoot the glowing thing.  Throw the boomerang at the glowing things.  Put these boots on, they slow you down--go walk a mile in them.  Go run bull***t errands for NPCs.  NONE of this is fun.  Is it surprising?  Not in any good way.  Yeah, I'm always surprised how dull and pointless Aonuma has made the Zelda series, but that's a terrible surprise, Nintendo.

I'm not claiming that these games are bad, but they're not interesting to me, a Zelda fan that was with the series at the start.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 11:44:25 AM »
I don't know what some of you guys were watching, this trailer has put a lot of my fears to rest about this game.  It looks amazing!!

Offline Tanshin

• View Profile
    • Nintendo Addict
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 12:07:07 PM »
I don't know what some of you guys were watching, this trailer has put a lot of my fears to rest about this game.  It looks amazing!!

Agreed. As time is going on I'm becoming more and more confident about the game.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 12:10:51 PM »
New footage hooray!

We see one Goron and people are complaining? It looks like another traveling salesmen, maybe like in Wind Waker there would be a total of 4 Gorons in the entire game, would that make you happier? Like Luigi Dude said above, we get new monsters, mole men, and bulbasuar plant guy yet folks want to complain they see a Goron?

As for combat, who here has played the game and knows it feels vastly different from previous 3D Zelda games? *raises hand* 

People just need to wait for the entire game to come out then judge if it is all a rehash. 
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 12:18:22 PM »
Though I do have to say Parts of that trailer make me feel Claustrophobic.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 12:35:27 PM »
History, rather than hype, is a far better indicator of how good this game will be.  Aonuma hasn't matched or topped Oot or LttP.  I expect him to continue ****ing around with the wrong things since he doesn't understand what the series was founded on.  This guy hasn't been good for the series and I really hope Nintendo takes it away from him and gives it to someone that at least played through the NES and SNES games.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 12:37:05 PM »
Upon hearing that Gorons are in the game my first thought was "no ****".  It was not at all surprising.

Though I wouldn't declare the game a rehash before I play it, I do find the presence of Gorons to be incredibly uninteresting and borderline lame.  These guys were not even in the first four Zelda games.  They are by no means a mandatory inclusion.  In fact part of the appeal of their appearance in Ocarina of Time is that they were totally new.  "Hey cool!  Rock guys!"  A lot of videogame devs lose sight of the fact that the novelty of something when it was new was a big reason why it was popular in the first place and that replicating it over and over again does not create the same feeling with players.  I don't want Gorons as much of what Gorons were in OoT - a new race to discover.  You can put them in and they won't really hurt the game but if it is just Gorons and Zoras it will hurt the game because the lack of novelty removes the thrill of exploration and exploring the world is a big part of Zelda's appeal.

I find Nintendo's storyline elements to be ridiculously stale.  The videogame industry as a whole is a bad for this and yet I would consider Nintendo one of the worst offenders.  They can still bust out fresh new gameplay ideas as Super Mario Galaxy demonstrates.  But I'm sick of fighting Bowser, Ridley or Ganon.  Sick of the same princesses getting kidnapped.  Sick of always fighting Goombas, Spaces Pirates and Moblins.  I'm not a little kid who is impressed by routine.  I need something creative from a storyline and setting perspective to grab my interest.  I also need new gameplay ideas.  I need both.

If it's the same Hyrule and the same Ganon and the same Gorons and Zoras and the same Karkariko Village and Death Mountain the game is going to lose my interest very quickly.  Those elements are played out.  For all Nintendo's talk about being original and creative they basically are doing the exact same plot from 25 year old NES games.  They introduce one plot in the first game and recycle it forever and ever and I'm at a point where I don't give a **** anymore.  It comes across as lazy game design.

The inclusion of Gorons does not indicate that the game will be a rehash but it isn't at all a surprising revelation that they're there.  Nintendo's reputation is such that when you find out an existing trope is in the game, you think "of course".  There is no expectation that things will be shaken up.  I think we're all waiting to find out if Ganon is the last boss.

Offline holtman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 01:31:26 PM »
History, rather than hype, is a far better indicator of how good this game will be.  Aonuma hasn't matched or topped Oot or LttP.  I expect him to continue ****ing around with the wrong things since he doesn't understand what the series was founded on.  This guy hasn't been good for the series and I really hope Nintendo takes it away from him and gives it to someone that at least played through the NES and SNES games.
What are you talking about. Aonuma has created some of greatest games ever.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 01:38:10 PM »

Wow, did Sean Malstrom just invade the forums?   :Q

I have issues with how he has guided the Zelda franchise of late, but Aonuma did create my favorite Zelda game: Majora's Mask, a game that was just completely "out there" as a concept.  I wonder what happened to all that creativity we saw in Majora, because it hasn't manifested itself to that extent in the series since (though Wind Waker was pretty cool, too).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:40:12 PM by broodwars »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 01:58:50 PM »
I wonder what happened to all that creativity we saw in Majora, because it hasn't manifested itself to that extent in the series since (though Wind Waker was pretty cool, too).

Majora's Mask is one of my favourite games but it certainly isn't for everyone.  I get why some people don't like it.  I wonder if that was Aonuma being creative but then Nintendo wasn't thrilled that MM didn't have the universal appeal that OoT had and told him to make things a little more conventional in the future, and he just isn't quite sure how to do that without things being too samey.

The Mario Galaxy ball concerns me for the same reasons that motion control bird does.  In Mario Galaxy I hated these levels because they controlled like ****.  But I could skip them because the way the game is set up you don't have to have to complete every single level to proceed.  Zelda however doesn't usually have optional parts, except for heart pieces and such.  If they throw one of these things into a dungeon it will be a choke point.  I will HAVE to complete it in order to proceed.  I don't look forward to that at all.  I might even get outright stuck.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 02:02:29 PM »
I'mma smack down all you Goron haterz.