Author Topic: Screw the OP, Lets just start arguing about copyright law  (Read 22338 times)

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: oh for @&/? sake
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:42 PM »
After reading the article, I'm going to drop my two cents in here.

I listen to Full Album Posts on YouTube. It's an easy way to do work or any other task while listening to a full CD of music that you enjoy. It generally loads faster than other sites that offer music, and those sites also require registration to create playlists.

When I find an album I like on YouTube, I try to purchase it. That's the point of the video; to advertise the music in its entirety. These users who post these videos, 'committing a felony' as the law may state should this act be passed, are actually attempting to contribute to the well-being of the record companies selling the CDs.

The problem here lies in the fact that CDs can be grossly over-priced. If, using the example, the CD economy is hurting, whose fault does it fall on? The YouTuber advertising the product, or the company not willing to lower prices to make their material sell easier?

Fan trailers and such have already been covered, and they follow the same road as CDs. It shows appreciation for the product, showing it, advertising it. It's not a crime. It SHOULDN'T be a crime.

Passing this act will destroy YouTube and other streaming sites, including the users dwelling within them that have done no wrong.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 09:36:05 PM »
But they already get free advertising with traditional and internet radio play and artsits get PAID for that, what you are talking about it still equal to stealing and while it is arguable that finding an artists on Youtube might lead you to buy the album chances are if you find it on Youtube you were looking for it. Pandora is free and it loads pretty fast and works on most devices Youtube does.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2013, 09:58:51 PM »
When I find an album I like on YouTube, I try to purchase it. That's the point of the video; to advertise the music in its entirety. These users who post these videos, 'committing a felony' as the law may state should this act be passed, are actually attempting to contribute to the well-being of the record companies selling the CDs.

Dude, if you want to make a valid argument, like Morari, that copyright law is whack and the whole system needs to be fixed, then please, do that.

But don't serve us this bull____ and tell us it's chocolate cake.

People don't upload albums to YouTube because they want to help the record companies sell albums.  :D :D :D  I mean, seriously.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2013, 10:09:49 PM »
Musicians don't get paid from anything

Article.

On a 99-cent download, a typical artist may earn 7 to 10 cents after deductions for the retailer, the record company and the songwriter, music executives say.

Spotify declined to comment on its rates, but according to a number of music executives who have negotiated with the company, it generally pays 0.5 to 0.7 cent a stream (or $5,000 to $7,000 per million plays) for its paid tier, and as much as 90 percent less for its free tier.

Except concerts, from my understanding.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2013, 10:17:13 PM »
If musicians are unhappy with signing with record labels, the easy answer would be to not sign with a label.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2013, 10:17:38 PM »
But they already get free advertising with traditional and internet radio play and artsits get PAID for that,

No they don't.

Interactive, on-demand Internet music services are a total grey area: the PROs are not collecting songwriter royalties, and SoundExchange isn’t collecting performance royalties. So far, all deals covering interactive services like Spotify and Slacker have been individually negotiated with record labels rather than mandated by legislation and regulation. The result? Artists have reported earnings in the neighborhood of three tenths of a cent per play … if they see any earnings at all.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/music/how-do-music-royalties-work-and-why-does-everyone-complain/

EDIT: Oh hey nickmitch!

But don't serve us this bull____ and tell us it's chocolate cake.

I know, that bugs the crap out of me. Let's just work to reform copyright law instead of working both sides of the fence like an idiot.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:20:41 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
Hey!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2013, 10:34:40 PM »
3 tenths of a cent is more than nothing at all... just saying. I used to be an independent record producer and it is hard as **** trying to make any money but the artists do get paid, they get it up front and then on royalties and record sales as well as concert tickets. Sure they don't get much on radio play but they get more than they do from piracy.

But the reality is too many people think they are entitled to entertainment they just don't realize how hard working people suffer from their thievery.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2013, 10:46:43 PM »
Sure they don't get much on radio play but they get more than they do from piracy.

I do have to agree with this.  I'm amused by people who support music piracy because of the poor, poor artists who make virtually nothing from the evil, greedy record labels.

Umm.. dude - you're paying the artists *LESS* than what the record labels pay... :D

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2013, 11:28:21 AM »
Yes, three tenths of a cent is technically more money than zero tenths of a cent. I believe the argument from such people, which I'm not advocating, just explaining, is that the difference is so minuscule that it's essentially the same thing.

I will say that I subscribe to Google Music AllAccess, which I think is great. It integrates perfectly with your own personal collection while also offering a large streaming library. I have to imagine it's at least as convenient and much higher quality than YouTube streaming would be.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2013, 05:44:47 PM »
Dude, if you want to make a valid argument, like Morari, that copyright law is whack and the whole system needs to be fixed, then please, do that.

My argument is valid, so sayeth the moderators.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »
Well, I'm only one moderator, but yeah.

There is a bit of a flaw though, and I wanted to discuss it more, but I was out of town and without a laptop charger, so I had to conserve battery as much as possible. :D

Anywhoo, you touch upon this when you say that you believe in copyright, but disagree with the length.

Your idea that creators should be paid for the original work (i.e.: the writing of the book, the performing of the song, the taking of the pictures at the wedding) and not so much for the duplication of that act is an interesting one - but it runs into issues.  Sure, a couple is going to be willing to pay a photographer a fair amount to take photos, but who's really going to pay an author a living wage to write a book?  A process that can take MONTHS?  Sure, if you've got something like Harry Potter, where you get to sell sheets, candy and action figures, you might find a few corporate interests willing to do it - but something that cannot be exploited outside of the easily copied realm (i.e. merchandising)?

Now, there's always the idea of Kickstarter-esque programs (basically, going back to the era of art patronage).  Say, someone proposes to write a book if they can reach a certain goal, and in exchange, everyone who gave money gets a physical copy and a "thank you" and everyone else just takes it for free... but I'm not sure how successful something like that would really be in the end.  Even more so if you move to things like movies and games, where you're not just looking at one person taking a few months to complete the project.

Now, the time limit thing *does* help (be it 10, 20 or 70+ years), but it's a very slippery issue.

I like your idea, I'm just not sure how to work it into today's society.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2013, 10:25:32 PM »
this is hurting my head/aura listening to you guys!
Made you look ****.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2013, 02:35:30 AM »
[...]Now, there's always the idea of Kickstarter-esque programs (basically, going back to the era of art patronage).  Say, someone proposes to write a book if they can reach a certain goal[...]

Aw, comeon!  No one bit on that offer?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2013, 03:11:43 AM »
Kickstarter (or similar programs) could never be viable on a large scale. It only works for passionate, dedicated fan bases. The vast majority of pop culture could never work that way, due to vast expense and a much less devoted audience.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »
Well I began my most dreaded class today, Communications Law 414 our professor started the lecture of telling us this will be the hardest class of our undergrad career. But once I really get going I will be probably coming back to this thread as part of my research project gears up. So stay tune for more anti-piracy ranting.