Author Topic: What games do you never get tired of?  (Read 12174 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
What games do you never get tired of?
« on: July 24, 2013, 06:22:50 PM »
Over the last couple of weeks I've been playing Civilization V for dozens of hours, thanks to the release of the Brave New World expansion pack. On multiple occasions I played entire games of it in one sitting, 10+ hours at a time. I was totally into the game the whole time, no matter how much I played.

Now, I've run into this phenomenon before. I once completed Super Mario Bros. 3 100% half a dozen times in the span of a week. But it's not always about quality; Super Mario 3D Land is my favorite game ever, but I don't think I could play it in those kinds of stretches.

Are there any games that are this way for you? What do you think makes a game that way?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: What games do you never get tired of?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 06:26:38 PM »
The ones that do that to me are the ones that are my favorite of all time.

Xenoblade Chronicles is one that I could play for years and continue to enjoy it. Same with Final Fantasy X, Okami, The Conduit, The Last of Us (I've beaten the single player mode four times since it's release), Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, F-Zero, and Pokemon Crystal.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »
Wave Race 64 and Blue Storm.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 06:53:12 PM »
Jet Force Gemini and Super Metroid, easy.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Super Mario World, easily the best 2D Mario game ever. Played it many times on SNES, many times on the GBA enhanced remake, the Virtual Console. I have beaten it countless times and it is still a great game. Also still love Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Many other games (especially Mario platformers) I can enjoy and play many years later.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »
EarthBound and not because it was recently re-released. I believe I've gone on record on these very forums that I usually, or at least used to, play the game through completion at least once a year. Before the re-release on the Virtual Console, I played this game about 2 years ago on my smart phone via emulation and was in the last quarter of the game when an android update reset everything and the emulator app I was using was no longer available, thus losing my progress.

This game is like a part of me and always will be.

The only other game I can think of is a newer entry into my personal Hall of Favorites and that is: Rune Factory Frontier! After two season long hiatus from the game, I started playing it again recently, right back into the grind trying to level up my crops and special flowers in order to make the highest level armor in order to take on the final boss. Is it necessary? No, seeing as I only recently took on the Snow Ruins boss with equipment I've had for practically 1 whole game year, though I used a lot of heal items and beat him by the skin of my teeth; but I'm SO determined to make a level 10 Black Robe and craft the best possible sword in order to whoop some parasitic ass!!!

In other words, RFF is my gamer crack.

What will I do once I'm done? Perhaps relegate the game to pass-time only versus putting in serious hours into it, or retire it for Rune Factory Tides of Destiny, or one of the DS games.

Oh and Mega Man X. I can breeze through that without blinking and its satisfying every time. X2 is also great but X is just .01% better in my opinion.

A Link to the Past used to be higher on this list but honestly I haven't played that in ages. /zeldafanshame
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 10:48:36 PM »
Tetris. I can always play Tetris.

Always.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 11:14:29 PM »
Classic Mario, Classic Zelda, and Classic Mega Man.

2D SNES/GBA era.

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 11:56:19 PM »
Mass Effect.  Some of the design is dated, especially after playing the sequels, but I have played that game so many times.  And for some reason, every time feels almost like the first.

Oblivion said The Last of Us, and I'd be right there with him if the intro didn't break me down every single time.

Offline Dow Jones

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 12:25:30 AM »
Yoshi's Island.
Add Me!

NNID: skyeevans
3DS: 5370-0428-0148
PSN: dowjonesreno
Tumblr: theskyefiles
Twitter: dowjonesreno
XBL: skyeevans

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 12:26:04 AM »
Zen Pinball. Excalibur table.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 12:33:57 AM »
Zen Pinball. Excalibur table.

Your scores for that game on the 3DS are so damn high.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 12:52:29 AM »
Chrono Trigger. I've lost count of how many times I've beaten that game (it has to be near at least 2 dozen between the various versions), but I could probably beat it just as many times again without getting bored.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 09:23:20 AM »
Dance Dance Revolution.

I've replayed a lot of that over and over.  Though I'm more of a Play once type of guy.  Which is odd that I don't like to trade anything back in.  I'm the same with all Media.  Once I see it once for the most part I don't really feel a need to see it again.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 10:22:22 AM »
For me it's got to be SMB3 and Super Metroid. Boring answers I know, but they're the games I keep coming back to. They're both short enough (if played a certain way) that neither game feels like a huge investment. I might also include the original Sin & Punishment on that list, as that too is a game which I seem to pick up and play quite often.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:24:05 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 11:02:37 AM »
Both Team Fortress Classic  and Team Fortress 2.  Lost months of my life on those games if you just go by the gameplay time.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 01:04:07 PM »
This thread inspired me to dig out my GBA copy of Mario 3. My skills have severely deteriorated since the last time I played, but man, I love this game.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »
I can't say there's any games I don't get tired of, but ones that I always find myself revisitng at least once a year are:

Super Mario Bros 1-3, World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
Super Ghouls N Ghosts
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VII
Street Fighter IV

I'm sure I'm missing a few.  Mario Bros, Link to the Past, and Street Fighter I play consistently because they're just that good.  The remaining ones I play more out of re-experience what it was like when I played them as a younger person. 

Some of them, like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, and Ocarina of time I played at pivotal times in my youth where I was able to completely engross myself in their stories and worlds, and it created a compelling and meaningful experience that'll never leave my memory.

And Super Ghouls n Ghosts & TMNT - NES?  Played them when I was super young and didn't own a Nintendo system, so I only got to play them when visiting my cousins who had them.  I still love these games, despite their faults.

Offline Austin Clark

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 10:44:17 PM »
As long as I have some friends around, Smash Bros Melee or Brawl!

Also, Megaman 2-3, X-X2, Final Fantasy VII (bought that game 3 different times so far...)

I think it's both a mixture of great gameplay and nostalgia that gets me to play games over and over again.  If you have great memories playing a game and those come back as soon as you boot it up, it's hard to get sick of it!

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 06:59:41 PM »
Plot driven games won't make the list. There are some great stories to be told out there with the medium, but such experiences don't exactly equate into replayability. That said, just about any modern game immediately fails as well. I don't want to drudge through a hand-holding tutorial for the first 30 minutes of a game. Multiplayer games have an obvious advantage here. I still play Quake III Arena regularly and it was released in 1999.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 07:26:21 PM »
Plot driven games won't make the list. There are some great stories to be told out there with the medium, but such experiences don't exactly equate into replayability.

Chrono Trigger says "hi".  :P:
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 11:35:57 PM »
Forgot to mention every Mortal Kombat game.

I'm also very disturbed by the lack of other people posting Wave Race.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 02:12:29 AM »
I'm also very disturbed by the lack of other people posting Wave Race.

What an odd thing to be disturbed by. I can perhaps understand someone being perturbed by it (although even that seems a little strong to me), but come on, really? 'very disturbed'? Pfft!

;)
Gouge away.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 06:25:41 AM »
I am far more disturbed by "every Mortal Kombat"...

Every single Mortal Kombat? Seriously?..
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline PhDintendo

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 07:45:44 AM »
SMB1 and 3 I can play with my eyes closed.  Not sure if that qualifies as "never get tired of" but I certainly wouldn't turn down a play-through of either one.  I rented StarTropics maybe 20 times as a kid and got to the point that I could beat it in one weekend no problem. I got it on VC and still love it.  Never get sick of Dr. Mario and Tetris 2 with friends.  I am finding that KI:U is my modern game I can't put down, I am going through it all again on the quest to beat boss mode on hard, the only thing I didn't get through on the first go.  We'll see if it holds up......