Author Topic: The OFFICIAL E3 2015 Predictions Thread: Reel in those expectations!  (Read 29209 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL E3 2015 Predictions Thread: Reel in those expectations!
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2015, 02:33:41 PM »
Not saying they lied, as in they attempted to deceive us. I'm saying they changed their minds and it will be shown in some capacity. Much like they changed their minds after the Game Awards 3 months later.

Thats all.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2015, 04:13:37 PM »
I don't really necessarily want much from E3, most of my dream games either have already been made or in the process of being made. However I hope that Nintendo teams up with GANBARION again to produce another original action-rpg for either 3ds or wii u. I just finished Pandora's Tower on virtual console and it is truly a masterpiece (if you'll pardon the pun). It is difficult to describe why it clicked with me without writing an essay, but what I can say is that in my opinion it succeeds where Metroid Prime fails in terms of world building. It beats Zelda any day of the week in terms of combat and 3rd person RPG elements. In terms of story while it's certainly not Xenoblade Chronicles, it is in the top percentage of Nintendo games (or at least co-developed games) where the developers actually tried to create a compelling story. Compared to your average Mario/Metroid/Zelda which have none existent plot for 95% of the game, not that there's anything wrong with that but it's a nice change of pace for once. So yeah, just do that again but not a direct sequel pls.

Wii Fit U was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.... probably... I wouldn't know.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2015, 11:54:23 PM »
I would actually very much enjoy a Pandora's Tower sequel.

I think it's a very good game with a lot of elements that click well, but it's definitely not a masterpiece. Especially not the North American version.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2015, 10:42:21 PM »
How about a look back to E3 2014 predictions?

RFN Episode 384 - E3 2014 predictions PART 1:

Johnathan:
Hyrule Warriors will keep its name. Zelda Wii U will show up (**** You, Koei Tecmo).

James:
No Zelda Wii U presence, only Hyrule Warriors.

Johnathan:
Will there be a lot of new game announcments?

Jon: More games to show than last year.
James: Games shown E3 2013 to be shown again - Smash, Xenoblade X, Bayonetta 2, remergence of Yoshi's Wooly World. Operation plan to be reactionary to E3 2013; focus on games coming out in 2014.

Johnathan:
A focus on Wii U GamePad games. Smash Wii U exclusive mode, some sort of single-player mode that revolves around the GamePad. Simpler than Sub Space Emissary, an extra mode.

NFC figurines - no interest. Johnathan: "Don't find it compelling. The whole thing smells bad. It remains to be seen if they are actually useful." Jon: "Wait and see. Nintendo's move controller." James: "They might be doing something different. A proof of concept. Relationship maintenance (with retailers). It's not for us."

-----
RFN Episode 384 - E3 2014 predictions PART 2:

Jon: Metroid Wii U. First-person shooter. Stole Johnathan's prediction! A first-person shooter that's competitive with other shooters. Possibly contract it out.
Jonathan: I would just like them to make a Metroid.
Guillaume: Tomodachi FPS

A new family-friendly IP that is something along the line of WarioWare and Rhythm Heaven for 3DS or Wii U. Or a Rhythm Heaven for 3DS.

Jonathan: Metroid returns as a 3DS game made by Retro Studios. They will show a new 3DS game that comes out in 2014 (Code Name STEAM misses the mark). A tease for Metroid Prime U, coming in 2015.

James: Unannounced developer roundtable 3DS game might be an NCL game, a Miyamoto game.
Jonathan: Miyamoto's back-to-the-trenches game is a Wii U game. It revolves a lot around the GamePad, possibly a 2nd GamePad.
James: It makes more financial sense for Miyamoto's next game to be a 3DS game.

Guillaume: Pac Man VS. 2, now with two Pac Man. Also, Next Level Games is making a new Punch Out! for 3DS.

Guillaume: No big third-party stuff. Indies showcased. Last year we will see indie interest in the Wii U.

Jonathan: No or very few games on Nintendo systems outside of Nintendo's booth. Doubt on Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare getting a Wii U port.

James: I could see a Japanese third-party putting a Wii U game out.

Guillaume: A Super 3DS for the Wii U.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:18:33 PM by Enner »

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2015, 11:31:45 PM »
I expect some impossible things this year. THE RETURN OF EA, 1 maybe 2 games from them.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2015, 12:17:14 AM »
I expect some impossible things this year. THE RETURN OF EA, 1 maybe 2 games from them.

EA has been consistently releasing 1 game on Nintendo platforms...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2015, 12:33:03 AM »
Man, that pastebin "leak" UncleBob posted in Neal's article was just sad. Not because it's content was stuff I would be excited with, but because most of it is listed as "2016" when Nintendo has promised a focus on 2015-early 2016 games.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2015, 07:01:57 AM »

FIFA isn't coming to handhelds or Wii this year.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2015, 12:53:55 PM »

FIFA isn't coming to handhelds or Wii this year.

Well maybe if a little BRIBERY took place, that would change, eh? eh?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2015, 06:23:47 PM »
What if Zelda wiiU got changed into a new IP?

also, why did Nintendo bate us with so much Metroid Content this year?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2015, 12:42:19 AM »
What Metroid content have they baited us with? The Metroid Prime trilogy was one example, but we STILL haven't got Zero Mission on NA eShop.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2015, 06:52:25 AM »
Trilogy was so much content. Thats 3 games. Then I went and bought all the metroid games on the shop and rebought super metroid for the wii u menu.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2015, 11:31:04 AM »
Three games in one package.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2015, 10:03:38 AM »
Add this to the rumor mill and/or possible wishful thinking: Platinum is going to unveil a new game on the 16th at 6pm.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2015, 05:40:16 PM »
Ima win the contest.

But generally speaking, the 3DS mini dump and separate Smash conference leads me to believe Nintendo's got more up their sleeve than I was expecting. I'm guessing at least one major Wii U title most would assume they'd wait for the NX to iterate with that isn't Animal Crossing. This is also providing they weren't bullshitting about the Zelda no-show, which they'd be insane to have done.

Realistically they'll announce whatever the NX is at E3 2016 for a 2017 blowout and fall/winter launch. If it's a scaled hardware handheld combo thing, they could theoretically launch the handheld component fall/winter 2016. That leaves this year for a final push of Nintendo of yore, without mobile, quality of life, and whatever they're transitioning to with the NX. And there are rumors that it's a significant departure (see recent Android rumblings). Also Retro is fucking around on Twitter.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2015, 06:17:01 PM »
If Retro is going to tease us on Twitter they better have a game to show.  And if it's another DKC game there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2015, 06:23:18 PM »
Retro are also getting a timely website redesign, coincidence? I think yes since they are notorious for putting nonsense on twitter/facebook, let's not forget how much they LOVE halloween!

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2015, 06:29:54 PM »
And if it's another DKC game there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I still remember when Tropical Freeze was revealed.  Someone here went nuts with fury haha.  It was hilarious.  I think it might have been BroodWar?  Many expletives were unleashed in Nintendo's and Retro's general directions.

But yeah, they better be doing something a bit more worthy of their time and abilities.  DK is not that.  Maybe they took over Zelda? :P

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2015, 06:46:15 PM »
I mean come on now, this is just cruel if they've got nothing:

https://twitter.com/RetroStudios/status/606195333496897536

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2015, 07:41:51 PM »
And if it's another DKC game there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I still remember when Tropical Freeze was revealed.  Someone here went nuts with fury haha.  It was hilarious.  I think it might have been BroodWar?  Many expletives were unleashed in Nintendo's and Retro's general directions.

But yeah, they better be doing something a bit more worthy of their time and abilities.  DK is not that.  Maybe they took over Zelda? :P

The whole Retro DKC thing is a pretty good example of how out-of-touch Nintendo can be (and Retro themselves might be included in that).  The Metroid Prime games get a "best game ever" kind of reputation.  That very positive reputation is naturally transferred to Retro themselves.  Metroid Prime is also a little different than other Nintendo properties.  It has all the quality of a Nintendo game but it has a darker atmosphere and more challenging gameplay than the typical Mario fare.  Nintendo has an "it" developer where fans are eagerly waiting for their first post-Metroid project... and they end up working on a 2D sidescroller when Nintendo themselves already are cranking out other games in the same genre.

You couldn't have pissed away all that goodwill that effectively if you tried to.  I think it's the same mistake as Wind Waker's graphics - take something associated with Nintendo that people that think Nintendo is a little too family-focused like and make it more family-focused and more like the typical Nintendo fare so that they lose interest.  Retro was (and possibly still is) a potential outlet for games that are as good as Nintendo's best work but have a different feel and style.  DKC took away that outlet.  Nope these guys that COULD do something different are going to make the same 2D platformer with cutesy characters that every other Nintendo team works on.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2015, 08:07:40 PM »
Nope these guys that COULD do something different are going to make the same 2D platformer with cutesy characters that every other Nintendo team works on.
That's terribly reductive.

In any case, I would like to see Retro Studios move on from Donkey Kong, just as it moved on from Metroid after Corruption. I wouldn't mind seeing the team go back to Metroid now, but I don't want it to make the same kind of game for too long. Three Metroid games in a row within a five year span was a bit much. Another Donkey Kong would feel much the same way. I think two is a good number. If Retro Studios makes a game then feels it can up the ante with a follow-up, go right ahead. Creators always have to deal with discarded or unrealized ideas so I won't be too hard on a developer that wants to have another go at it. Two is enough though. Revisit it after trying something else. Retro Studios limited output increases the desire for its games so I wouldn't want to see the team dwell on any one franchise for too long.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2015, 08:36:42 PM »
Nintendo may be out of touch with the internet echo chamber but in terms of real life DKC was a good move considering it outsold Metroid Prime 1, Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Prime Trilogy and Metroid Other M combined.

I would like Retro to stop making sequels and move onto something new now that both Metroid and Donkey Kong have run their course. Maybe a game in the stealth genre? Apart from Twin Snakes with Silicon Knights I can't think of any other 1st party stealth games from Nintendo.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2015, 09:20:06 PM »
in terms of real life DKC was a good move considering it outsold Metroid Prime 1, Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Prime Trilogy and Metroid Other M combined.
That point has been brought up before. Metroid is my favorite series, but I won't bemoan Nintendo or Retro Studios for having another go at Donkey Kong because I understand the choice. It isn't like Returns failed and Nintendo decided to keep making Donkey Kong games until it succeeded. Nintendo can't please everyone. It can only try reach as many people as possible and hope for the best. It's an exhausting waste of time to try to appease those who will always find fault in everything you do.

Ultimately, I hope Monster Games inherits Donkey Kong. That frees up Retro Studios and leaves the series in capable hands. Hey, Nintendo can have its cake and eat it too.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2015, 11:28:29 PM »
Well then, what franchise would you all like to see Retro do next? Keep in mind this is a studio that creates unique art assets for their titles, and that most of the team that made the Prime games what they were are gone.

That being said, if Retro did a 2D Metroid with the level of graphical polish that DCK has.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2015, 01:12:15 AM »
Like I've said before, I wouldn't be surprised if Retro's new game is a 2D Metroid reuses the Tropical Freeze engine.  Nintendo has talked about thinking of idea's for a new Metroid and Retro even said they could have made a Metroid instead of Tropical Freeze.  Plus we're getting a new Star Fox this year and since Metroid was more popular then Star Fox since it's revival with Prime 1, I'd put my money on Retro's new game being a 2D Metroid.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai