Community Forums > Movies & TV

Rate the last TV show you've seen

<< < (958/966) > >>

Adrock:
The IT Crowd
So good. Peaked in Series 3 though. Series isn’t bad, just noticeably worse than Series 3. A few jokes don’t land in 2022, and creator Graham Linehan’s transphobia is such a letdown. Still, a show is more than one person. The three leads have such great chemistry together.

Community
I haven’t finished Season 6. However, I think I’ve seen enough to offer a short review. Seasons 1 to 3 are excellent. Season 4 is weird though maybe dunked on more than I agree with. Season 5 is better but the show unofficially ends when Troy leaves. Everything after feels like it’s trying to fill the hole left by Donald Glover. I know six seasons and a movie was the show’s mantra. When two main cast members are written off the show, it’s time to start planning an exit strategy.

The Book of Boba Fett
Not terrible; mostly unnecessary. A whole episode doesn’t even have Boba Fett in it, focusing instead on Pedro Pascal’s Din Djarin from The Mandalorian. LOL, what? Additionally, it walks back a major plot point established not that long ago, making me wonder why Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni even bothered.

I disagree with what a lot of fans say about changes to Boba Fett’s character since he was barely one. He looked cool in the original trilogy then got accidentally punked by Han Solo. I never understood why people were so attached to him. He didn’t do anything.

The story here is fine. The acting is fine. There are some questionable choices here and there. The show exists, and I enjoyed my time with it for the most part. Probably won’t rewatch it except to put it on in the background or that one episode that is more relevant to other Star Wars related stuff.

NWR_insanolord:

--- Quote from: Adrock on February 12, 2022, 07:12:12 PM ---Community
I haven’t finished Season 6. However, I think I’ve seen enough to offer a short review. Seasons 1 to 3 are excellent. Season 4 is weird though maybe dunked on more than I agree with. Season 5 is better but the show unofficially ends when Troy leaves. Everything after feels like it’s trying to fill the hole left by Donald Glover. I know six seasons and a movie was the show’s mantra. When two main cast members are written off the show, it’s time to start planning an exit strategy.

--- End quote ---

I would argue season 6 is the best of the back three seasons. I agree that 4 gets more hate than it deserves, and 5 starts out really well but stumbles a bit after Troy leaves and they're not sure what the new dynamic should be. 6 takes a little while to get going, as it has to introduce two new characters, but by the end I think it's great. I really love Elroy, I wish we'd seen more of him. If we ever do get the movie, which it sounds like might still be possible, I hope he's a part of it.

broodwars:
Wasn't really feeling in the mood to play anything today after being underwhelmed with the opening hours of Horizon: Forbidden West, so thought I'd finally get around to watching the 2nd Season of Gen:Lock while our HBO Max trial was still active. I quite enjoyed the 1st season, despite its problems.

Yeah, don't. The 2nd season is one of the worst things I've seen since...well, probably Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness. The new HBO Max writing team decided to try to cram about 3-4 seasons of storyline into 8 episodes, and it goes even worse than you're probably imagining. And it's all grimdark bullshit. That's the WB difference!

And it all ends with an ending worthy of comparisons to Mass Effect 3.

It's that bad.

Adrock:
Disenchantment
I wish I liked this show more. Disenchantment is what happens if you take Futurama then do everything worse. The characters are less likable, the jokes are less funny, the voice acting despite the pedigree here feels uninspired, the plot meanders etc. etc. Futurama never really had a overarching plot (aside from the movies) though it excelled at character development.

Disenchantment has an overarching plot except it feels like the writers don’t know what they want to do, and they cheat more than I like. Getting Bean, Elfo, and Luci back together at the beginning of Part 4, for example, seemed rushed and overly convenient. In writing, you don’t have to know everything that happens, but you should have an idea of where you want to go. After Dagmar was freed and the major plot twist hit, the writers seemed to start winging it.

I don’t fault Disenchantment for not being Futurama. It can be great on its own. I’m merely using Futurama as an example of show with a similar tone that really understands what it wants to be. Disenchantment hasn’t gotten there.

On a semi-related note, Hulu seems dead set on curb stomping Futurama’s legacy with the new season and not paying John DiMaggio. Y’all really going to chance the possibility of tarnishing Futurama’s excellent (fourth and best) finale by not bringing the entire cast back.

broodwars:

--- Quote from: Adrock on February 23, 2022, 08:58:48 PM --- Disenchantment
I wish I liked this show more. Disenchantment is what happens if you take Futurama then do everything worse. The characters are less likable, the jokes are less funny, the voice acting despite the pedigree here feels uninspired, the plot meanders etc. etc. Futurama never really had a overarching plot (aside from the movies) though it excelled at character development.

Disenchantment has an overarching plot except it feels like the writers don’t know what they want to do, and they cheat more than I like. Getting Bean, Elfo, and Luci back together at the beginning of Part 4, for example, seemed rushed and overly convenient. In writing, you don’t have to know everything that happens, but you should have an idea of where you want to go. After Dagmar was freed and the major plot twist hit, the writers seemed to start winging it.

I don’t fault Disenchantment for not being Futurama. It can be great on its own. I’m merely using Futurama as an example of show with a similar tone that really understands what it wants to be. Disenchantment hasn’t gotten there.

--- End quote ---

Sounds a lot like my thoughts on The Dragon Prince after loving Avatar: The Last Airbender. What a mess that show is, too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version