Author Topic: Old GameBoys and lines...  (Read 2231 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Old GameBoys and lines...
« on: October 01, 2006, 07:16:04 PM »
So, what causes the lines of "dead pixels" on old school Game Boys and what can be done about it?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE: Old GameBoys and lines...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 06:52:07 AM »
Are you talking about the horizontal line through the center of the screen?  Let's see if I can remember.  That has to do with the line that appears as the GB is turned off.  The display turns on the middle row at max intensity for a few seconds for some reason, which shortens the useful lifespans of the dots in that row.  Nintendo figured out how to prevent it in software, so all games produced after a certain date prevent that line from appearing, but older games still abuse the screen.  I don't think you can do anything to restore it.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 08:18:23 AM »
No, I'm talking about the vertical lines that appear to be dead in various places on the Game Boy (depends on the unit)...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE:Old GameBoys and lines...
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 09:28:47 AM »
Well, then I don't know.  I don't think I've seen that.  I've seen the horizontal lines, and I've seen charred-looking pixels in a random blob, but not vertical dead lines.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 09:29:53 PM »
I'm guessing the dead pixels are in fact, dead pixels. Time for a new screen.

Offline Saturn2888

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 09:44:59 PM »
Yes, the only solution here is a new screen. Sorry to say that, but that's about all you can do. I'm guessing you're waaaaaaaay past warranty too. Call up Nintendo because there's nothing else you can do. That is a rare problem you have there indeed.
Only insanity brings perfection.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 01:55:05 PM »
I turned on my old brick GB (not recently mind you, but a year or two ago) and had several veritcal lines of dead black pixels.  My GB was never mistreated so I guess it's just the devil in the works.

But with my GB Advance SP I don't really care, at least until that starts to go funky.  
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline armedalliance

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Old GameBoys and lines...
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 09:35:44 AM »
Ah, I remember I killed my first one when I was younger 'cause I left it out in the sun (not exactly dead-pixel but just about). Got a new one that Christmas though. I miss my GB now