Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 455182 times)

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 04:57:20 PM »
So third party characters as DLC, primarily as bonuses when you buy other games?  That would certainly help sell third party games on the Wii U, and get around that whole "Mega Man isn't in Brawl because nobody asked in time" thing.  I like it.

I think the most iconic classic NES era third party characters would be appropriate inclusions, even over Nintendo's own D-listers, and aside from Little Mac and Ridley, most of the suggestions I'm seeing really are D-listers.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 05:01:07 PM »
Hey if we are going with D - Listers I like to have Old Man from Zelda and Error.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 10:42:52 PM »
Hey if we are going with D - Listers I like to have Old Man from Zelda and Error.
ONLY if it's the Old Man from Legend of Neil.  That's the only acceptable way.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Sakurai say's best Smash yet.
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 12:12:01 PM »
http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=16027

Masahiro Sakurai spoke recently about the upcoming Smash Bros. games for Wii U and 3DS and promised that they will be better than anything we have seen before.

There are apparently many aspects of Brawl that could be improved upon and once we see the high quality of Kid Icarus on 3DS, we will realize just how great the new Smash Bros games could possibly be.

Sakurai:
There are many things that can be improved upon even in Brawl. Also, I think you can base your expectations of the new Smash Bros. once you see how well-made Kid Icarus is. The director of each game is the same, but because I regularly change my team around after projects, we will be able to see how good the team is then.

This will get us talking for 20 minutes. He also mentioned the character roster would be very similar since Nintendo hasn't created many new characters lately. If I don't see Ridley, Little Mac, and Dixie I will throw the biggest hissy fit!

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 12:20:37 PM »
All I really care for returning characters from Brawl is Pit. He is basically my main in Brawl. As for any other Nintendo characters I'd like to see some characters from Xenoblade, The Last Story or Pandora's Tower. Who knows maybe there will be more exposure for the characters. 3rd party characters would be Classic Megaman, Soma Cruz and Geno.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 12:24:54 PM »
That's pretty much the dumbest comment ever made about the roster. There are many characters that haven't made it into any Smash Bros. title. We can all name our own personal favorites.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 12:31:10 PM »
Wow, I wonder if he's implying air battles or 3d movement?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
Wow, I wonder if he's implying air battles or 3d movement?
I'm actually sort of hoping they take Smash into fully 3D arena's like the other circle ring fighters.  Even if its only some stages.  That would be interesting.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
Look I guess what I am saying is that I was pretty much happy with the whole Brawl Roster. I'd just like to see Pit return the most. I really can't think of any other Nintendo characters I want in that are new to the series. No need to get on me about my previous comment Adrock.:)
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »
Sorry, I'm replying on my phone and didn't see your post.  My previous post was regarding Sakurai's comment about how the roster would be mostly the same since Nintendo hasn't introduced many new characters since Brawl. That's silliness because Nintendo has the richest selection of memorable characters in all of gaming.

EDIT: After going back again and rereading my last post, I'm getting a chuckle over how pompously dickheaded it sounds in relation to Maxi's post. Wow, my bad. Just to be clear, I was responding to Caterkiller's link/post.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:44:15 PM by Adrock »

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 01:47:35 PM »
He mentions Kid Icarus and it's quality as to how well the new smash will be presented. I played it and thought it was pretty cool, nice graphics, voice work, and the presentation are all I can really go by though. The game styles are completely different and if all he is going to do is switch teams around what are we judging? That he can make a quality game? I think we know that already.

RomanceDawn

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 02:54:11 PM »
Fair enough Adrock. Glad we could understand one another.

Caterkiller maybe Zap's post about air battles could work out. A few of the Nintendo characters can utilize flight in their games in some form. Mario has his cape/racoon tail, Link has the Deku Leaf. Samus has her ship. Star fox characters have their Arwings. Maybe the next Smash bros game will have some type of flight versus ground fighting system. All characters will have their ground fighting style but all of them can switch on the fly to their flight fighting style.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:01:18 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 05:45:11 PM »
Well that does make some kind of sense, considering how in Brawl he wanted more aerial battles. By that he included more floatiness with the characters and several stages that used wind and/or falling to be stuck in mid air. Not to mention 3 of the new characters had big ol' wings to glide on.

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1000225/wii_u_uncovered.html
You’re developing a new version of Smash Bros. for Wii U. How do you intend to take advantage of the console’s unique controller?
I will think about this once Kid Icarus is complete. But as it is a game of a competitive nature, I do not think that any one person should have an advantage.
Smash Bros. Brawl was a complete experience. What can any sequel offer in addition to that game?
There are many things that can be improved upon even in Brawl. Also, I think you can base your expectations of the new Smash Bros. once you see how well-made Kid Icarus is. The director of each game is the  same, but because I regularly change my team around after projects, we will be able to see how good the team is then.
There can’t be many high-profile Nintendo characters left to add to Smash Bros. Who’s left that you’d like to include?
That is completely undecided, but it is true that Nintendo has not created many new characters lately.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:34:37 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 05:04:27 AM »
Sorry, I'm replying on my phone and didn't see your post.  My previous post was regarding Sakurai's comment about how the roster would be mostly the same since Nintendo hasn't introduced many new characters since Brawl. That's silliness because Nintendo has the richest selection of memorable characters in all of gaming.

Sakurai was responding to the question about high-profile characters, and said that Nintendo hasn't made many new ones recently which is the same thing he said three years ago on the Smash Bros Dojo.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various33.html

When they’re all lined up like this, it becomes obvious that there is roughly 6-year blank before and after Pikmin. While there have been big series since then like "Animal Crossing," "Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day," and "Wii Sports" it does seem that coming up with a completely new character-driven series has gotten more difficult recently.

Sakurai's comments aren't about how they won't add that many new characters over Brawl, they're about how he feels Nintendo hasn't created that many new iconic main characters from new IP's that are hugely successful that can be added.  Most of the new main characters that Nintendo has created are from series that had niche type of success, or stayed Japan only and had mediocre to bad sales. 

So yeah, he never actually said they won't add that many new characters, just that their won't be many from the new IP's that Nintendo has created since most of the new character-driven IP's that Nintendo has released in the last decade, haven't been all that popular.  Which means the roster will be just like Melee and Brawl where most of the new characters that get added will be from existing IP's that are already represented in Brawl since that's where most of the truly memorable Nintendo characters are currently from.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 09:00:39 AM »
So be it. I'll amend mĂť statement: That's the dumbest way to phrase that belief about the upcoming roster. Here's a better way: Since Nintendo hasn't introduced many new IPs in recent years, roster additions may be mostly taken from older IPs. Or should I blame the translation?

In any case, I disagree. Characters don't necessarily need to be from a super popular, high selling or recognizable franchises to be included, new or old. That's why I don't really understand the sentiment. Smash Bros celebrates all of Nintendo so I don't think sales and such matters much to fans. They want to see everyone, even the new/niche ones like Captain Rainbow, Shulk, Elza, Pious Agustus (long shot, not really new) and Frey/Freia from Zangeki no Reginleiv (if Nintendo owns the rights).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 09:08:08 AM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2011, 04:02:47 PM »
I'm still pulling for the floating disembodied head of Dr. Kawashima.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2011, 04:13:20 PM »
Did anyone else read that comment as Sakurai saying that Kid Icarus is going to kick ass?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 02:18:33 AM »
Ok so I know it's not on anyone elses mind but mine but I want to talk about Smash Bros!

Here are the most likely candidates that I imagine seeing in the next Smash.

Bowser Jr - Hated the guy in sunshine but since he appeared with the other Koopa Kid's he's grown on me. Not to mention he is the only other Mario character to hold a relevant role in the series.

Ridley - It's not so much his size but the wings and tail which really make him awkward. Ridley recieved giant wings in Metroid Prime, so give him smaller wings like in Super Metroid(smaller than Charizard even), and his tail could lag behind like Olimar's Pikmin with the same reach. Sakurai said his inclusion would have been impossible, but in the same thought said if they put forth their best efforts they could have done it. He has appeared in every smash since the beginning and each time his presence gets greater and greater. No one from Metroid is more deserving.

Palutana - This is Sakurai's new baby so she is getting in, especially with the role she has in Uprising. No question.  Same goes for Medusa.

Dixie - Data is in Brawl, she will be in Sm4sh. She deserves it too especially after Rare gave her the 64 bit finger through Tiny Kong.

K Rool - Despite Nintendo having something against Rare's Kremlings, I think he is in for sure.

Lilttle Mac - Recently revived and just missed the cut as an assist trophy he's in.

Samurai Goroh - F-zero needs at least one more rep! I think Black Shadow has a good chance, but Goroh has more history.

Roy - Data was in Brawl, chances are he will make it back. Maybe Luigified as well. Chrom is the new fire emblem guy on the block.

Victini - Either him or Zoarark as the 5th gen rep. Though by the time this comes out the 6th gen will have started. So Victini and Zorark may get passed over.

Isaac - Golden Sun needs some love! He was an assist trophy and his unique attacks would make for an awesome move set!

Saki - Sin and Punishment should get a rep as well, I think they deserve it.

Megaman - it's only natural.

Snake is getting back in since Kojima's son was the one who begged to get him in. Just nerf him and I will be fine. Sonic is going no where. 

Geno and Skull Kid are just dreams that will probably never happen.  Those two and Kamek. But I left out the retro/wtf character.

So who thinks we at least get a teaser for Smash at this years E3 despite only having several months of work going into the game?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:39:37 AM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 02:33:02 AM »
Nerf Snake? I agreed with your post until you said that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 03:00:44 AM »
I'm looking at my post above from last August and I'd still like to see those characters, namely Pious Agustus especially if Silicon Knights is, in fact, working on a sequel. Smash Bros. would certainly give the IP more exposure.

I would definitely like to see more variety especially from the newer IPs. The series could use more female characters. Daisy comes to mind but I'd settle for her as a costume (not palette swap) for Peach. Mona from Warioware would be neat-o.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 04:03:28 AM »
Given that it's Sakurai's game, and the history of clone-ish characters in the series, I think Dark Pit is fairly likely, in addition to Palutena.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2012, 04:25:52 AM »
As for newer IPs, I think Xenoblade and the Last Story have a decent chance at getting playable representation.

As for older IPs, Ray Mk deserves a shot, Drill Dozer, and Takamura. Takamura was Nintendos first Samurai. Made a few cameos recently but none of his own games since the NES. Also Sherrif could work as that wtf character, but he has real guns so maybe not.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2012, 06:21:36 AM »
I was hoping for Palutena in Brawl. I think she has a much better chance of making it in Smash 4. Medusa too. When Magnus was first revealed, I immediately thought he was created specifically so he could appear in a Smash Bros. game. That would give Kid Icarus 4 characters which is only a lot if other series aren't well represented or not represented at all. Dark Pit will probably remain a palette swap for Pit.

If we're talking 3rd party characters, obviously I'd want Jill Valentine... But I wouldn't hold my breath.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:02:59 AM by Adrock »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2012, 09:49:19 AM »
I don't think poor Lucario is going to make it into the new Smash.  I also think the game isn't coming out for a good 3 years.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2012, 10:05:38 AM »
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1000225/wii_u_uncovered.html
Smash Bros. Brawl was a complete experience. What can any sequel offer in addition to that game?
There are many things that can be improved upon even in Brawl. Also, I think you can base your expectations of the new Smash Bros. once you see how well-made Kid Icarus is. The director of each game is the  same, but because I regularly change my team around after projects, we will be able to see how good the team is then.

Now that we've seen just how well made Kid Icarus is, how's everyone's excitement level?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 05:18:43 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.