Author Topic: Koichi Sugiyama, Japanese Political Activist And Dragon Quest Composer, Dead At 90  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it

"Political activist" being the politest way to describe him.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/58604/koichi-sugiyama-japanese-political-activist-and-dragon-quest-composer-dead-at-90

One of Japan's most infamous composers and a pillar of the Dragon Quest series has died.

A statement from Square Enix announced that Koichi Sugiyama, who composed the music and sound effects for the Dragon Quest series dating back to the 1986 original, died on September 30, 2021. The cause of death was septic shock, a sudden loss of blood pressure following an infection.

A veteran composer, Sugiyama was known more for his extreme nationalism in recent years, including being a signatory to a full-page letter published in the Washington Post denying an apology for Japan's use of "comfort women" during the Second World War. He was also a noted denier of the Nanjing Massacre, and dismissed the high suicide rates among Japanese LGBT+ youth in 2015.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Here's hoping the next composer doesn't snub everyone on Symphonic versions of his soundtracks.

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
It's kind of hard to praise him considering his vile views. He may be a talented composer, but a lousy human being

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
The only good thing I'll say is his music was a big part of the early Dragon Quest charm.  But considering he was using his money to spread terrible messages that were causing real people harm, I wont be shedding any tears for him.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Plus the midis they kept using were ****.