Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674342 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: NBA Thread: Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)
« Reply #2075 on: January 26, 2020, 10:30:39 PM »
Well I stumbled into some weird stuff on reddit

https://old.reddit.com/r/n64/comments/etugkt/rescued_a_wrecked_copy_of_majoras_mask_someone/

from a day ago.
I had Kobe Bryant Courtside growing up and I loved it so much growing up.   I would like to play as the Nintendo Development team in the game I think they were called Left Field Lefty's.   
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2076 on: January 26, 2020, 10:48:53 PM »
The NBA honors Kobe.

For BnM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCfKlTP2dqg

Looks like Mav's owner Mark Cuban retired number 24 in honor of Kobe. 

Rachael Nichols reacts to Kobe's death.
For BnM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3dDCzzySCE

Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: January 27, 2020, 09:53:16 AM »
Since retiring, Bryant's legend has only grown. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it really seemed like his strength of will had been redirected from personal success on the court to a greater purpose as a true ambassador of the sport, supportive parent, and role model for many hard-working athletes. Who knows what his future would have brought, but it's clear that basketball is worse off today.

(To be clear: it's not just Kobe's death that is tragic. Each loss from this accident is horrible. But the others didn't have the same oversized public persona, so the loss feels more abstracted.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: January 27, 2020, 12:42:10 PM »
(To be clear: it's not just Kobe's death that is tragic. Each loss from this accident is horrible. But the others didn't have the same oversized public persona, so the loss feels more abstracted.)
I’m glad someone mentioned this.

Every time a tragedy like this happens, there’s a subset of well-actuallys who come out of the woodwork to remind everyone that other people died as if everyone doesn’t know. It’s possible to both mourn a wider tragedy and grieve one person in that tragedy in a different way. Kobe Bryant, imperfect as he was, inspired people. Think about how many countless kids picked up a basketball and stayed out of trouble because they saw Bryant drop 81 all over the Raptors. Think about how many people got a little bit of joy during a rough patch in their life because the Lakers were good, and they got to focus on something else for a while. It sounds silly, but a little escapism helps people. That can’t be understated.

Yes, the loss of life and the manner it was lost is tragic. Admittedly, I don’t lose sleep over celebrity deaths. I didn’t know them personally. I won’t hold a vigil or sing a Sarah McLachlan song. That said, I still think it’s important to remember that no one gets to tell others how or who to grieve. For those who are sad about this, be sad about it and without judgement.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:52:39 PM by Adrock »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2079 on: January 27, 2020, 04:35:30 PM »
Here is all the names of the people that died in the helicopter crash...

Kobe Bryant
Gianna Bryant
John Altobelli
Keri Altobelli
Alyssa Altobelli
Christina Mauser
Sarah Chester
Payton Chester
Ara Zobayan
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2080 on: January 27, 2020, 06:10:52 PM »
Hard to fathom four or five families getting torn apart in an instant like that.

In minor news, the Lakers/Clippers game scheduled for tomorrow has been postponed; the next Laker game will be Friday.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: January 27, 2020, 09:14:13 PM »
In minor news, the Lakers/Clippers game scheduled for tomorrow has been postponed; the next Laker game will be Friday.

That makes sense.
That was very close to home for them, someone who was still pretty active in the organization and work the players all across the league.

They could use a few days to breathe.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2082 on: January 28, 2020, 02:52:14 AM »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2083 on: January 29, 2020, 12:37:40 AM »
Well not to take away from Kobe and all those people who died but one of my teams played and I'd like to talk about them.

So the Suns blew out the Mavs 133-104 on top of excellent play from Booker and Ayton scoring 30+ points each.  Oubre Jr, Bridges and Rubio were solid for the team and what I loved most about the team is that Bridges got to start and he locked down Luka in the 1st quarter and throughout the game while scoring 13 and I think he had 6 assists.    The Suns had several players out but the starting lineup came up big.
Rubio, Booker, Oubre Jr, Bridges, and Ayton were all good while the bench not as impressive kept the lead the starters made throughout all 4 quarters.  Also the Suns had 48 points in the 3rd quarter to 22 from the Mavs.  It was essentially over after the 3rd quarter.

I think the only thing the Suns need to do is get a scorer off the bench before the trade deadline and they are golden to make a playoff push.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: January 29, 2020, 09:26:57 AM »
Wow.  Coming from someone who is pretty big on the Mavs being an exciting team this year, WOW.

My problem with the Suns is that I don't trust them to put it together on a night-by-night basis, but when they are hitting it's a pretty amazing show. With so much young talent, you have to feel pretty good about the potential over the next couple of years.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2085 on: January 29, 2020, 04:28:13 PM »
Wow.  Coming from someone who is pretty big on the Mavs being an exciting team this year, WOW.

My problem with the Suns is that I don't trust them to put it together on a night-by-night basis, but when they are hitting it's a pretty amazing show. With so much young talent, you have to feel pretty good about the potential over the next couple of years.
I kinda think the Suns haven't had the right starting lineup and health to build chemistry.  I mean the young players all know each other but there was the 25 game Ayton suspension, Ayton playing some and then getting injured and then the wierd lineup of having Rubio, Booker, Oubre Jr, Baynes and Ayton in there. 

I think the bench not being there kinda necessitated the need to have Bridges in the starting lineup to make the defense flow smoother than with Bridges coming off the bench.   Have Ty Jerome or Tyler Johnson run the point off the bench and have the signings come off the bench for stability with Saric, Kaminsky, Baynes coming in when healthy.    I kinda think someone like Larry Nance Jr would work for the Suns coming off the bench to be a scorer or to have someone athletic like him in the starting lineup and have Oubre Jr be the 6th man for matchup situations.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: January 30, 2020, 08:32:25 AM »
A moment to bask:

Only two teams are ahead of the Raptors in the standings right now - Bucks and Lakers.
(Raptors are currently tied for third with Clippers in win percentage.)

This is true despite leading the league in win-shares lost to injury, and being very high on overall player games missed. This is true despite the team being largely written off after Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green walked with no return value for the Raptors last year.

Toronto can lose more than half of their games remaining, and still break 50 wins. With a remaining strength-of-schedule rating as the 11th easiest in the league, that seems like an easy target. Projected over/under for win total has risen from about 46 to about 53... and that over still seems like a great bet if you ask me. They are also barely touching the top 10 in championship odds, and only recently making it that high.

No respect for the champs.
Even if a repeat title seems unlikely right now, they'll be a tough out for any team when the playoffs arrive.
It's been a good season!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: January 30, 2020, 10:56:32 AM »
Ugh...I swear, the Jazz are just DETERMINED to get that 5th Seed again this season.  :rolleyes:
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: January 30, 2020, 12:22:42 PM »
Oh to suddenly find yourself back on the outside and really not even bothering to look in.... Much less, look up, to see where all the rest of you are at.

When's All-star weekend?
That's coming up real soon, right?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2089 on: January 30, 2020, 02:17:19 PM »
Oh to suddenly find yourself back on the outside and really not even bothering to look in.... Much less, look up, to see where all the rest of you are at.

When's All-star weekend?
That's coming up real soon, right?
It is coming up in the next two weeks. Feb 14th-16th.
Trade Deadline is February 6th at 3pm EST.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: January 30, 2020, 02:31:52 PM »

Does anyone think there will be some big trades? It doesn't feel like much will happen this year, but I'm completely ignorant about roughly half the teams in the NBA so maybe I'm WAY off base.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2091 on: January 30, 2020, 03:43:50 PM »

Does anyone think there will be some big trades? It doesn't feel like much will happen this year, but I'm completely ignorant about roughly half the teams in the NBA so maybe I'm WAY off base.
Big trades? Not likely unless they are in the realm of the 9 to 11 seed in their respective confrences.  I kinda picture teams making small changes for those that are in playoff contention to solidify their playoff roster like what the Raptors did last year with Marc Gasol. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: January 30, 2020, 07:29:07 PM »
Alright, we finally have our All Star squads, now that the reserve players have been announced:

East: Jimmy Butler, Kyle Lowry, Ben Simmons, Khris Middleton, Jayson Tatum, Bam Adebayo, Domas Sabonis

West: Damian Lillard, Donovan Mitchell, Nikola Jokic, Rudy Gobert, Brandon Ingram, Russell Westbrook, Chris Paul

As you can imagine, I'm delighted to see Gobert & Mitchell on the Western All Star team. I can't find any issue with the other Western reserves, either.  The Eastern ones, though? Hmm...

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: January 30, 2020, 08:30:56 PM »
... I can't find any issue with the other Western reserves, either.  The Eastern ones, though? Hmm...

Spell it out - who do you think is missing?

I find Westbrook just a tiny bit surprising in the West, given the Rockets falling short of expectations and a growing sort of "empty stats" narrative around him based on some mediocre decision making... But he still plays hard, puts up numbers, and is always fun to watch. So it's hard to feel bad about the selection, despite some other great players getting passed over.

What issues do you have with the East reserves?

Middleton is a player I've always been a bit luke-warm on; he seems like an incredible third option on a championship team, but maybe not an All-Star? I probably undervalue him though, because he's solid defensively and provides great spacing.

Sabonis is the only other player I see that people might argue about, but I actually love his game... maybe not the pick I would've made right now, as I think he'll only continue to improve, and if position wasn't an issue I'd probably have a guard or two higher on my list. Still a good option though, as hard-working 18/13 guys don't fall from trees.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: January 30, 2020, 08:42:08 PM »

Pretty much the 2 players you outlined. I'm not sure, though, who I would replace them with since I'm really not all that familiar with the Eastern Conference teams.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2095 on: January 30, 2020, 09:12:01 PM »
Booker should I've been in there over Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook. Booker is putting up historic numbers this year and should have been in there. Plus the fact that he is the youngest guards who have 7000 points in his young NBA career. He surpassed Kobe as the youngest guard to have 7000 points just the other night. Booker is averaging 27 points this year and I want to say five assists this year and has been a key part of the Suns remaining in playoff contention.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: January 30, 2020, 09:17:24 PM »

Pretty much the 2 players you outlined. I'm not sure, though, who I would replace them with since I'm really not all that familiar with the Eastern Conference teams.

Bradley Beal is the guy, from reputation, that I'd consider first. But his efficiency is down this year and the Wizards are terrible... it's really hard to vote someone in when their team only has 15 wins. Andre Drummond loses out to Sabonis using a similar "wins matter" argument, even though I might like Drummond better in a vacuum.

Jaylen Brown from Boston and Fred VanVleet both come to mind as possible guards, but neither seems distinguished enough on stats alone, and both have 2 teammates already representing their city. (Note that I'm totally biased towards VanVleet in this case.)

Overall, I don't have much complaint with the selections made. I think they should get rid of the conferneces for All-Star selection eventually though!

(PS - I tend to agree about Booker getting snubbed and would've made the same exchange BeautifulShy suggested... but it's tough to break into the Western conference lineups.)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:19:38 PM by ejamer »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: January 31, 2020, 12:30:16 AM »
*sigh* Yeah, I know we're short-handed tonight, but MAN the Jazz seem to really want their usual 5th Seed these days.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2098 on: January 31, 2020, 12:50:59 AM »
On Booker getting snubbed and other players in similar situations like Beal, Lavine, Rose and Drummond not being selected I think most of the coaches were looking at if they are in playoff contention.  There is one outlier in Ingram since they are worse than the Suns but Ingram kinda took the team on his back and did the bulk of the scoring. However you could see the same for Booker so that is kinda a wash until you know that Ingram and Booker weren't competing for the same position.  Booker was against Westbrook, Mitchell and Paul as guards. Ingram was against Gobert and Jokic as forwards. So it isn't the perfect system of selecting the reserves.   
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2099 on: January 31, 2020, 01:01:25 AM »
*sigh* Yeah, I know we're short-handed tonight, but MAN the Jazz seem to really want their usual 5th Seed these days.

Honestly I have found that watching the standings like every night is a fruitless endeavor because all it does is stress you out if the team you are rooting for doesn't play to the teams potential.  There has been several times this year where the Suns are playing a team above them in the standings and I hope that they win but they lose and tumble further down in the standings as a result.  The Spurs game comes to mind where the Spurs were the 8 seed and the Suns were the 10th seed and there is like a game and a half between the teams and they lose and I get frustrated.  Maybe check in each week to see where your team is at just to get a baseline on where the team is at.

In the end the end of the season record is what matters and sometimes you can't control who wins each night so I just root for my teams and hope for the best.
Alexis, she/her/Miss