Author Topic: So Rayman is a time exclusive?  (Read 8299 times)

Offline Perfect Cell

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
So Rayman is a time exclusive?
« on: February 02, 2003, 07:43:27 PM »
I read somewhere that Ubi Soft gave Nintendo Rayman 3 as a time exclusive since Xbox got Splinter Cell. Low and behold Rayman 3 is going to be released in Febuary while PS2 and Xbox versions are not. So is it really an exclusive? Rayman 2 was a great plataformer. Rayman 3 might sell really well if markete

Offline dogcow

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2003, 08:12:58 PM »
I don't believe it's intentionally exclusive, but yes GC version is coming first, and with the GBA link feature too, so people with all 3 consoles might want to get the GC version over the other 2.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 01:25:58 AM »
Yes, Rayman 3 will be time exclusive to the Nintendo GameCube and it will advertised as "Only on Nintendo Gamecube" for a number of weeks or months. This game was made from the ground up for the Nintendo GameCube and as a result of that it will be released on Nintendo GameCube first and later, inferior ports will become available on other systems, ala Splinter Cell.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 01:33:35 AM »
Time exculsive is such a stupid concept. It is making that "Only on" / "Only For" label worthless.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 01:42:38 AM »

Originally posted by: oohhboy
Time exculsive is such a stupid concept. It is making that "Only on" / "Only For" label worthless.

Yeah, but it's worked so well for Microsoft. Time for Nintendo to get a piece of that pie I say.
DVDs | Games

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't allow our peopl

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 02:30:53 AM »
yeah it's worked really well for Microsoft. I mean who bought Hunter: the Reckoning for cube? No one. But plenty of Xbox owners have it. Rayman 3 looks promising indeed, I might at least give it a rent.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline xanrastafari

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2003, 05:11:51 AM »

. I mean who bought Hunter: the Reckoning for cube? No one. But plenty of Xbox owners have it.

Thats just proof that Cube owners have better taste.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2003, 06:16:59 AM »
Nintendo will probably not advertise "only for" if it doesnt comer out significantly earlier then the other games.
Its Not Nintendo's style. Microsoft doesnt understand how lame that it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline JSR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2003, 08:06:49 PM »
Like ThePerm said, Nintendo won't advertise it as "Only For". Nintendo doesn't advertise any third party games. Ubi Soft on the other hand might advertise it as "Only For". It's quite nice that GameCube gets Rayman 3 before XBox and PS2, plus Rayman 3 will rock (judging on how good Rayman 2 was).

Rayman 3 also seems to be one of the few third party games that really uses the GBA-GCN link up. That whole link up mode sounds pretty cool.    
It's Random and It's Nintendo - Random Nintendo

Offline epicac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2003, 08:15:33 PM »

Originally posted by: RABicle
yeah it's worked really well for Microsoft. I mean who bought Hunter: the Reckoning for cube? No one.

Now that it's only $9.99 for a brand new copy at www.ebgames.com I think people might buy it.

Rayman 3 is a good choice for a NGC time exclusive, especially for all those platform-loving PS2 and Xbox owners who wish they could play Mario. Maybe this'll be the proverbially straw that will break their camel's back. Or maybe they'll just wait for it to come out on their system.

We as a gaming community need to be more vocal in dispelling Xbox's "exclusive" myths. Is Panzer Dragoon Orta a true exclusive or a time exclusive?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2003, 12:58:42 AM »
Time exclusive is really only another way of saying delayed release which in it's own way boarding on illegal. I doubt the advertising laws are very black and white on this subject that is why MS has been able to get away with is so far.  
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2003, 03:10:08 AM »
It's not illegal! When they advertise it it is only for Xbox. They dont advertise it as exclusive now that it's on other consoles. Also notice that any restock of Hunter: The Reckoning for Xbox was missing the "Only On" stamp.
Anyway Devil May Cry was originally a one year time exclusive for PS2 but it would seem Capcom couldn't be stuffed porting it.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline dafunkk12

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2003, 04:31:30 PM »
RE:  Hunter

Actually my friend and I cleared out our two local EB's 9-game shipment at the end of the month.  $5 investment to get $12 trade-in credit at Rhino's, not bad.  And for $5, it wasn't such a bad thing to keep one for myself.