Author Topic: Four More Games Added to Nintendo Selects  (Read 4054 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Four More Games Added to Nintendo Selects
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:11:57 PM »

Super Mario Galaxy and three other Wii games now available for $19.99.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/27469

Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Strikers Charged, Punch-Out!! and Super Paper Mario are now part of the Nintendo Selects line of Wii titles retailing for $19.99.

All four games were well received critically, with Nintendo World Report giving Mario Strikers Charged an 8.5, Super Paper Mario a 9, and Super Mario Galaxy and Punch-Out!! 10s. The titles join The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Animal Crossing: City Folk, Mario Super Sluggers and Wii Sports as part of the discount line.

Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Four More Games Added to Nintendo Selects
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »
Cool, Punch-Out!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:23:59 PM »
I wonder how WiiSports is selling

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:37:57 PM »
Only one I am interested in that I don't have is Super Paper Mario. I don't have Strikers Charged though.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline oksoda

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 01:46:16 PM »
Strikers is awesome. I had a lot of fun with that when it came out. Almost like a modern NBA Jam or Blitz. I wonder how it holds up a few years later, now?

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 02:53:19 PM »
This is nice. I'll pick up Super Paper Mario. I've heard good and bad about it so I wonder what I'll think of it.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 02:55:18 PM »
Strikers is awesome. I had a lot of fun with that when it came out. Almost like a modern NBA Jam or Blitz. I wonder how it holds up a few years later, now?
Maybe the online is usable now?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 04:11:53 PM »
When DKCR becomes a Nintendo select then give me a call.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 04:39:01 PM »
Punch-Out!! is in bargain bins everywhere here but Galaxy still commands full price I believe.

Offline Ras

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 05:17:46 PM »
Yep, I bought Punch-Out at Sears a few months ago for the Select price.  I have all of the new ones already, half of the first wave, and only really need Sluggers.  That would basically leave Animal Crossing, which has never interested me until I think, "If it's the only one I don't have, why not look into it?"  :)

They need to bring the New Play Control line back under this umbrella.  I had a heck of a time finding Jungle Beat since I waited until earlier this year to buy it (good old Sears again).  Really, the only US title I'm missing is Tennis, and I have that on GC.  I'd probably buy it, though.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »
Well, this is definitely a better batch than the first 4 Selects, though I don't know if I'm going to bother getting any of these.  I never finished Super Paper Mario since I found a lot of the game based on pure tedium being somehow hilarious to the developers.  As for Punch-Out, I finished the first story mode, but just got fed up with the Title Defense mode.  I couldn't care less about Strikers Charged, and I much prefer Galaxy 2 to the first Galaxy.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 05:52:11 PM »
Here is my prediction for more Select titles from Nintendo:

Super Mario Galaxy 2
DKCR
SSB Brawl
Wii Sports Resort
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline SilverQuilava

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »
well thats great. already got all those except punch out and I never liked that one. why wont Nintendo just put super smash bros brawl on the list? i never got the chance to buy it

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 06:11:14 PM »
Here is my prediction for more Select titles from Nintendo:
DKCR

I highly doubt it. The game just came out 9 months ago. By the time it would hit this program, the Wii U will have been out for quite some time. Same with Wii Sports Resort, and that game is still selling extremely well and would not need the boost this program would provide (if anything, Nintendo would lose revenue from the deal since I doubt many people who want the game wouldn't buy it at $50).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
I hope Nintendo eventually adds Sin and Punishment: Star Successor to the list so it has a chance of hopefully getting decent numbers.  It's one of the best games on the system, but the $50 price tag is just insane for the type of game it is.  For someone like me who replayed it several times on the different difficulty's and modes, it was worth the $50 price, but I'm in a very small minority who really love these types of games. 

The average gamer will just play a game like this once on probably the easiest setting, which for this game, will only take them about 5-6 hours to do.  The reason the original on the Virtual Console did well was because it was only $11 and so to a lot of people, a 5-6 hour experience isn't to bad at that price.  I'd imagine if Star Successor became $20, that would finally get a lot of the people that bought the N64 game on the Virtual Console, to buy it's sequel since it'll be at a price they'll be more willing to pay now.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 07:07:28 PM »
I hope Nintendo eventually adds Sin and Punishment: Star Successor to the list so it has a chance of hopefully getting decent numbers.  It's one of the best games on the system, but the $50 price tag is just insane for the type of game it is.  For someone like me who replayed it several times on the different difficulty's and modes, it was worth the $50 price, but I'm in a very small minority who really love these types of games.

Yeah, I picked the game up for about $15-$20 off of Amazon, and I think that was about the right price for that game.  It should (and very well may be) a Selects title at some point.  At some point I'm going to go back and actually finish the last level of the game, but it was pretty good and certainly deserves to be a Selects more than something like Mario Sluggers or Strikers Charged.  For that matter, Nintendo could stand to have some very good (and overlooked) Wii 3rd party titles in this line like they do in Japan.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:11:34 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »
Awesome, I'm glad this turned out to be true. I own the other three, but I've been curious about Punch-Out!!, and would be willing to try it at a lower price. I may yet pick that one up, the only downside is that now it has ugly box art.

Maybe the online is usable now?
Depends on what you mean by usable. It's stable, but everyone who still plays it today uses only the exploits to score. The only way to beat them would be to use them yourself, which is just no fun.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 12:18:47 AM »
I hope they start including some 3rd party stuff like in Japan, maybe No More Heroes, Zack and Wiki, Madworld etc?
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 11:13:10 AM »
Looks like I will be picking up Punch Out!  ;D