Author Topic: My faith in Humanity is waning  (Read 35254 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Two 16 year old teenagers put a cat in the Microwave
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 03:48:35 PM »
You're against eating meat but for institutionalized torture and forcing people to fight to death for other people's pleasure?

Anyway these people don't need to be killed. That's ridiculous. 50 years ago, a 16 year old girl named Juliet Hulme and her friend, Pauline, bludgeoned Pauline's mother to death. Juliet was let out after five years in prison and society isn't worse for it. She never killed again. She's now a devout mormon and successful mystery novelist. Her name is now Anne Perry.

I'm not against eating meat. Eating meat is a very natural part of our existence. What I am against is factory farms which not only create Hellish environments for the creatures, but also do a lot to poison the planet and the people eating said meats. If you want to eat flesh, go out and hunt for it. Kill the creatures humanely and use up every last bit. Animals don't deserve to be tortured simply to meet the ridiculously high demands of a hungry market--humans that make a very conscious choice to be violent criminals do deserve it however.

Also, did you just say that society is no worse off now that we have another Mormon amongst our ranks? Riiight...

i'd watch any religious references on the board
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 04:21:15 PM »
Beef.  It's what's for dinner.

*cue Aaron Copland's famous tune*
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »
I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of cats (being allergic to them doesn't help), but this is fucking terrible. People like this make me sick. I'd like to see one of these asshole kids get stuffed in a microwave.

Also, Morari leave the religious stuff alone.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 05:39:37 PM »
Although this is quite disturbing I find people tend to overreact to stuff like this because it involves a cute animal getting killed.  Not picking on anyone here but it's not uncommon to encounter people that appear to get more grossed out by violence against pets than violence against people.  If these two teens broke into someone's house and killed a full grown man would this have created enough of an outrage to post here and would it attract as much attention?  It would probably be considered a run of the mill crime, largely ignored outside the local area.

I would throw these kids in jail for a few years for breaking into someone's house and destroying property and some mandatory psychiatric evaluation due to them appearing to take pleasure in torturing a living creature.

I have a cat and this grosses me out a lot but I don't regard animals as equal to animals.  I can't be cool with us using non-human animals as a resource (meat, leather, etc) and then regard some animals as having human rights because we keep them as pets.  I see the cat as the property of the family who owned them.  Thus these teens destroyed some else's property.  Sounds a little cold but how can you say that a cat is deserving of more rights than a cow at a slaughterhouse?  Now if these teens caught a stray cat, killed it in an efficient and humane manner, took no pleasure in torturing it and then ate it and used every bit of the animal they could would that be a problem?  I'm sure a lot of people would freak out but they shouldn't.  The problem is that it wasn't their cat and they killed and tortured it entirely because they found commiting the violent act pleasureable.

That part of it is the part that's really scary and that's the part that means that these kids need to be monitored.  People who like causing pain for no reason are potentially dangerous to society.  If they enjoy torturing a cat they may enjoy torturing a human.

The slap on the wrist they got is more of a flaw in young offenders laws.  I think it's stupid that because someone is under 18 that they shouldn't be responsible for serious crimes.  There are career criminals that waltz in and out of jail because they're under 18.  I don't care if they don't know better.  They're dangerous so get them off the street.  Prision should not be seen as a punishment but rather a place to keep dangerous people away from the rest of us.  A minor that kills is still dangerous, even if he's too immature to know better.  Insane people don't know better either but if they're so nuts that they're a danger to everyone we lock them up.  How is a crazy dangerous person any different than an immature one?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »
Ian, I think that people react like they do is because the animal doesn't really have a chance against these people but humans do.

Part of the reason I posted this was the punishment was so light  for this act.

You have a point with the animal rights. We are hypocrites.

I agree about the prisons, but they are full. So you run the risk of letting a minor offender go and that person might do a major crime.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 06:28:31 PM »
I agree about the prisons, but they are full.

Priorities.  Tax cheats go to prison.  White collar criminals.  People who commit perjury.  19 year olds that have consentual sex with 17 year olds.  People that commit one act of neglegence causing death like accidentally running someone over with their car and then trying to run away from it.  Pot smokers.  Prostitutes.  All sorts of "criminals" are in jail that aren't really all that dangerous.  Martha Stewart was in jail.  Why?  Did she break the law?  Yeah.  Is she going to break into my house or stab me in an alley?  Should I fear her?  No, but we lock people like that up anyway when really community service or a big fine or house arrest would be perfect sufficient.  Minimum security prisons?  What the hell do we need these for?  If prisons are too full then focus on the dangerous crinimals and let the tax cheat off with a huge fine.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 06:44:06 PM »
Although this is quite disturbing I find people tend to overreact to stuff like this because it involves a cute animal getting killed.  Not picking on anyone here but it's not uncommon to encounter people that appear to get more grossed out by violence against pets than violence against people.  If these two teens broke into someone's house and killed a full grown man would this have created enough of an outrage to post here and would it attract as much attention?  It would probably be considered a run of the mill crime, largely ignored outside the local area.

I think that's mostly because of the sad fact that the world is so full of tragedies that only the unusual ones are newsworthy anymore.  There are a lot of people who think humans are monsters and see this incident as more evidence to condemn our evil species, but I think they're in the minority (and nuts).

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008, 09:26:35 PM »
There are a lot of people who think humans are monsters and see this incident as more evidence to condemn our evil species, but I think they're in the minority (and nuts).

Well excuuuuuse me, princess!

If these two teens broke into someone's house and killed a full grown man would this have created enough of an outrage to post here and would it attract as much attention?  It would probably be considered a run of the mill crime, largely ignored outside the local area.

The problem is that it wasn't their cat and they killed and tortured it entirely because they found commiting the violent act pleasureable

You answered your own question there...The act of torturing an innocent creature is beyond heinous...And yes, these kids shouldn't have gotten away so lightly... =\
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2008, 10:13:31 PM »
The man is a child killer with a life sentencing. IS THAT WHAT IT TAKES TO GET A WII THESE DAYS!?!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2008, 10:18:06 PM »
I think they are equal in their horribleness. Should I change the title of the thread?

Nickmitch the worst part about it he got all of that stuff because he tried to commit suicide.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2008, 10:47:31 PM »
The man is a child killer with a life sentencing. IS THAT WHAT IT TAKES TO GET A WII THESE DAYS!?!

Geez, I see at least 1 in stock ever other week.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2008, 10:59:47 PM »

Yeah, me too.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2008, 11:03:40 PM »

Haha, California...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2008, 12:14:58 PM »
There are a lot of people who think humans are monsters and see this incident as more evidence to condemn our evil species, but I think they're in the minority (and nuts).

Well excuuuuuse me, princess!

I don't know what you're on about.  I think they did something reprehensible and should have been punished appropriately.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2008, 01:04:07 PM »
People do this all the time to dry out newborn pups.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2008, 01:28:29 PM »
People do this all the time to dry out newborn pups.
Now that's a hot dog!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2008, 01:59:43 PM »
as far as keeping pets, most of the animals that make great pets are predatory. Dogs are scavengers, but are predatory as well, cats are super predators. The taboo on eating meet from predators goes back to biblical times. Theres a certain level of intelligence that has to be attained to be a predator, and its alot smarter then prey animals. Your like breaking the predatory code if you kill a pet
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2008, 02:18:11 PM »
My dog would be the worst predator ever. He is good at rifling through my garbage can, but that's about it. So he's pretty much the equivalent of a hobo.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2008, 02:44:50 PM »
This is not the type of person we want in our society. People like this will never contribute anything as they obviously cannot function within even the most vague sense of moral boundaries.

Just want to point out that someone who killed a kitten as a small boy went on to write one of the more important novels of the 20th century.  It's a bit premature to write these kids off completely. 
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2008, 09:47:42 PM »
Faith in a person is a double edged sword. It can be either uplifting or disappointing.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2008, 10:12:02 PM »
This is not the type of person we want in our society. People like this will never contribute anything as they obviously cannot function within even the most vague sense of moral boundaries.

Just want to point out that someone who killed a kitten as a small boy went on to write one of the more important novels of the 20th century.  It's a bit premature to write these kids off completely. 

I honestly just think they need to be smacked a few times.  Well, a lot.  16 is too old for that kind of ****.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2008, 10:26:37 PM »
especially in this day and age
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2008, 12:09:25 AM »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Re: My faith in Humanity is waning
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2008, 01:43:26 AM »
That you're using Fox News as a source? Yeah I cried too.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.