Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537538 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5000 on: March 21, 2015, 03:26:16 PM »
What We Do In The Shadows

Hilarious, had no idea what I was watching when I came in. I was told it might be a vampire movie. I would call it an instant classic.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: March 21, 2015, 05:10:58 PM »
What We Do In The Shadows

Hilarious, had no idea what I was watching when I came in. I was told it might be a vampire movie. I would call it an instant classic.

So you want me to go in completely in the dark? Can you cast just a little light on it....

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: March 22, 2015, 04:29:11 AM »
I could, but you might catch on fire and nobody would forgive me for it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: March 22, 2015, 10:50:31 PM »
I want to see that.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: March 23, 2015, 06:35:55 PM »
So the end of my cinema "year" finished at the end of February. I saw 61 movies.

« Reply #5005 on: March 27, 2015, 02:57:39 PM »
finally got around to watching Starship Troopers on Netflix. eh, not terrible, but not worthy of all the praise it seems to get.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: March 27, 2015, 08:14:36 PM »
Starship Troppers is not what it seems. If you are watching it and thinking it is taking itself seriously than you are missing the point. The movie is a satire on war propaganda films. If you watch Eli Roth's "Stolz der Nation" on Inglorious Basterds then you can see the comparison. Its a very subtle satire. Only the director and some of the audience are in on it.

see

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=31343.msg611539#msg611539

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: March 27, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »
Starship Troopers is a masterpiece, just like the original Robocop.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

« Reply #5008 on: March 27, 2015, 09:07:05 PM »
Starship Troppers is not what it seems. If you are watching it and thinking it is taking itself seriously than you are missing the point. The movie is a satire on war propaganda films. If you watch Eli Roth's "Stolz der Nation" on Inglorious Basterds then you can see the comparison. Its a very subtle satire. Only the director and some of the audience are in on it.

see

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=31343.msg611539#msg611539

I am fully aware of that, that was what I didn't like about it. I was expecting it to be similar to Robocop but it wasn't a bad movie just didn't live up to the hype.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: March 27, 2015, 09:45:06 PM »
He likes stupid action movies (See Transformers). He doesn't understand remotely the art of movies.

Offensive language removed. Watch it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:16:02 AM by Shaymin »
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5010 on: March 27, 2015, 10:08:34 PM »
Robocop and Starship Troopers are totally different beasts, Robocop was actually trying to be a good movie for viewing pleasure. whereas Ss Troopers is only good on an acdemic level. Theres Satire in both, but they go about them in totally different ways. Robocop is overtly satirical and sst is covert. When I was in Junior high when the movie came out I liked it on its surface level, then later it seemed like a bad action movie, then later it became a totally different movie after I took film classes.

Transformers are terrible movies. Maybe if you're high or elated for other reasons you might enjoy them. But I deal with utter nonsense at work, I have to have something different at home. Its also weird Transformers comes out of the same people who make pain and gain.

« Reply #5011 on: March 28, 2015, 12:08:24 AM »

What the **** where did I say I liked the Transformers movies? I said I didn't entirely hate the first one but I think you have me confused with someone else.

I know what StarShip Troopers was doing, that part I get what they were doing I didn't say I didn't like it geeze I said it didn't live up to the hype, maybe if I saw it when it was new but I didn't I liked it just not near as spectacular as it was made out to be.

Also I am going to say this again, I am a film student I have probably seen and studied more films that you, its not just my passion it is what I have been going to school for. Sure I have taken a few detours along the way due to the limitations of life, but that has always been my primary focus. I appreciate films as art so stop trying to pretend you know anything about me, the ONLY thing I have ever admitted to liking that you were openly against is the Star Wars prequels and those are an entirely different matter, Star Wars is super emotional for everyone so its not judged fairly as a film franchise.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 12:16:53 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: March 30, 2015, 02:45:14 PM »
Interstellar

A great movie. Visually stunning, even more so than Gravity. Very hard on the Science scale, obviously not Apollo 13 hard. Alot of the elements have commonalities with 2001: A Space Odyssey, a film which was visually excellent however outrageous pacing issues which meant sitting through that movie was a literal Odyssey I couldn't endure.

While a lot of people fawn over Matthew McConaughey's performance, I found for most part to be adequate and most of the "McConaughey effect" is more about him not doing such dire movies rather than him improving his art. The real star of the movie for me were the robots. They were sharp, they do awesome things, they surprise you with their initially outwardly seemingly alien design and their internal limitations.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: March 31, 2015, 01:24:37 AM »
Horns

Good acting, sets up a intriguing premise and fails to deliver. Joe Hill has the same shortcomings as a writer that his father does.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: March 31, 2015, 04:15:01 AM »
The Voices

Ryan Reynolds as a incredibly cheery factory worker who goes home to his scottish foul-mouthed talking cat and ever-loyal talking dog? What's not to like?

This is easily my favourite movie of 2015 so far because its just so knowingly ridiculous.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: April 10, 2015, 09:40:21 PM »
Watched Olympus Has Fallen. Pretty good action movie, terribly unrealistic plot, totally predictable but still a good ride.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: April 11, 2015, 01:53:49 PM »
John Wick (no really this did just come out here!) - This felt very very close to a game in that it had one single purpose, the coins, the  "safe haven" in the hotel and a nearly-mute main character.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5017 on: April 12, 2015, 06:11:48 PM »
FuriousSeven

Great movie.  Best thing you could hope for: cheesy one-liners, over the top action, impossible stunts, hot chicks, physics defamation.  AND more!

9/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: April 12, 2015, 07:31:52 PM »
FuriousSeven

Great movie.  Best thing you could hope for: cheesy one-liners, over the top action, impossible stunts, hot chicks, physics defamation.  AND more!

9/10

You know, I enjoy the F&F movies for what they are.  And I usually have to turn off my brain for them, and generally manage to do so.

But the scene where the Rock busts out of his cast... I couldn't take it.  I seriously broke out laughing in the theater at that.  I was amused. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5019 on: April 12, 2015, 08:18:14 PM »
You were doing it right.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: May 01, 2015, 08:52:38 AM »
Godzilla 2014

Overall a good movie with the only flaw being it followed the wrong person. It could have followed Brian Cranston, The Professor and his mousey assistant, the admiral or not follow anyone at all. But nope, got to follow Mc whitey generic of I don't give a ****.

One detail I really like was that Godzilla had elements of "Man in a suit" physics. Places where you expect it to be taunt like the legs come have a just enough give to point out there is nothing underneath.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: May 01, 2015, 12:53:06 PM »
I saw some crazy super-hero flick last night.  It was acceptable.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: May 13, 2015, 03:39:48 PM »
Avengers: Age of Ultron (spoilers)
I saw this last Wednesday. I've been too lazy to do a write-up. It was okay. I may have hyped myself out of enjoying this movie to its fullest. I only saw the three trailers, and avoided most articles leading up to release. I remember reading that Joss Whedon wanted to make a different kind of movie than first one, and I didn't really get that impression. It was a bunch of big action scenes loosely connected with exposition, much like the original. I heard Whedon was asked to cut like an hour from the run time so that might have something to do with it. Scenes like Thor's cave bath felt disconnected which I figured was due to cuts.

Age of Ultron felt like it was largely setting up Phase Three, rather than acting as the culmination of a phase like the original (I realize Ant-Man is technically closing out Phase Two). Some additional thoughts:

1. Hawkeye is so lame. He's the first and only Avenger taken down in the opening scene. He was being mind-controlled in the first one. In this one, he's the only one who isn't incapacitated by Scarlet Witch yet he was still useless. Iron Man has to take down Hulk on his own. "Ooh, look, I have a farm." And he totally gets Quicksilver killed. Pietro should have used Hawkeye as a shield. Terrible.

2. Speaking of Quicksilver, I feel like he was killed off because Fox also uses Quicksilver (who was also cooler). They didn't even really address it either though I attributed that again to cuts. The main problem is that he didn't do a lot in Age of Ultron so his death didn't have the weight that Agent Coulson's did (which was ruined by resurrecting him for Agents of SHIELD). Quicksilver is apparently not being brought back. I'm not entirely convinced. We'll see whenever the Time Gem is finally addressed and used in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It'd be swell if it was used to bring back Ronan the Accuser.

3. The movie could have used more Ultron. He didn't do as much as I expected. I also got the impression that The Vision removed Ultron's access to the internet (more aptly, send his memory/"consciousness" online when he's about to be destroyed). I guess, unlike comics, they can't just keep reusing the same villains, but Ultron's ability to copy himself and return is one of the most important parts of his character. It's what made him such a good villain.

4. I realize it's difficult to do an Ultron story without The Vision, but introducing such an important character in the third act caused some problems. I didn't think The Vision did that much. He ultimately destroyed Ultron at the end (and may be how to bring him back since Ultron uploaded half of himself into The Vision's body).

I think I'll stop there. I didn't hate the movie; I just didn't like it as much as I wanted or expected.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: May 13, 2015, 09:31:03 PM »
I do hope that they find a way to bring Ultron back. After watching the Next Avengers movie I want to see something similar pulled off in the MCU. Plus introducing children/heirs of the Avengers is a good way to carry on the story while writing out the older actors.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: May 16, 2015, 03:53:29 AM »
Mad Max Fury Road

I was sold on this as the car equivalent of what the Raid or John Wick did for action movies. It failed.

But it isn't a made movie by any means and it could have been so much better if it restrained itself a little. The action was over amped which resulted in the use of CGI which did no favours which took away the realness the original has. I also hated the use of colour. I don't care how you justify it, but stop it with the Orange and Blue, **** that noise. General lack of Australian accents was most disappointing. While I applaud it for not using shake cam, they cut the action too early instead of letting a crash play out fully, the editing is just too aggressive.

If you like cars trucks and crazy **** done to them, you will love what they have done. The universe they constructed is pretty good with people worshipping V8s and mixing it with bits of Norse mythology. It showed how the Warlords stayed in power and how at the upper levels interacted without actually going into politics. You have good characters with simple but powerful motivations. Max himself isn't really a character and is more of a vehicle for the movie and a myth, legend, or a passing whisper in the movie's universe.

A disapointing yet good movie overall. No assless chaps though.

Chappie

A mess of a movie.

It don't know what it wants with the theme or plot or characters. Visually excellent with the usual Neill Blomkamp level of goodness where the real and the unreal exits as one. Sharlto Copley is brilliant as the voice of Chappie and is easily becoming my most favourite actor of all time. Peter Weller has an awesome cameo. The Universe feels authentic, but major plot issues and the criminally stupid violent characters take away from it substantially. The opening action scene is just great and I wish the action in the rest of the movie was as good as that, but unfortunately no.

I can't really recommend this movie dispute it having some really good scenes and dialogue from Chappie. I really wanted to like it but alas it was not to be
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 03:57:35 AM by oohhboy »