Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1546036 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4975 on: February 12, 2015, 03:19:00 AM »
Jupiter Ascending. No. No. No.

If you HAVE to watch this movie, then watch it in 2D and save yourself some money. While the art style is gorgeous, the plot feels "scribbled on the back of a hand" and doesn't make much sense.

« Reply #4976 on: February 15, 2015, 03:46:57 PM »
I could tell from the commercials I was not going to even bother with that one. Man am I turning into that old grouch who hates everything that came after he left high school?
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4977 on: February 15, 2015, 09:16:01 PM »
Aren't you that already? Or are you still waiting to graduate?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: February 15, 2015, 10:18:17 PM »
Jupiter Ascending looks "so bad, it's good", a genre that's in short supply of big budget flops. Watching as soon as it hits the web.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: February 15, 2015, 11:03:16 PM »
I watched John Wick last night.

Keanu was a badass in this movie. Could have renamed it to
Head Shot: The John Wick Story
or
Videogame: The Movie

only thing I didn't understand was, if John Wick was such an underground legend, "the man you send to kill the boogeyman" and he worked for the biggest mobster in town up till 5 years ago... Why didn't that mobsters 30something year old son, who has obviously been in living off the advantages of the family business for quite sometime, know who the **** John Wick was by name and reputation, if not picture/looks, even after having it explained to him?
I mean even the fucking cops know whats up.

Cop: "Oh hey John"
::sees dead body on the floor behind him::
Cop: "uh... you working again!?"
John: "Just dealing with some stuff"
Cop: "Oh, ok, well have a good night...."

and this punk ass "kid" (he's like 30 something clubbing on daddy's mob money, he has to know something about whats going on, or atleast something about the biggest players in the game).

But other than that little oversight (which I'm hoping someone can explain) it was pretty damn good. Great Action, from the hand to hand, to the gun fights. Keanu owned that ****.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4980 on: February 16, 2015, 12:02:18 AM »
I just saw John Wick a few hours ago as well. Like 300, it's a bad movie. There's no plot, no character development, no real substance... But goddamn, it was so fun and entertaining. I accept it for what it is and I enjoyed it so much more because of that. It isn't trying to be high art. It's Keanu Reeves fucking up everyone's day because they stole his car and killed his dog... and probably something about post traumatic stress disorder.
Why didn't that mobsters 30something year old son, who has obviously been in living off the advantages of the family business for quite sometime, know who the **** John Wick was by name and reputation, if not picture/looks, even after having it explained to him?
I thought that was the point. Ioseph is supposed to be a **** up. He doesn't know better because he's a spoiled idiot and everyone kisses his ass because his dad, Viggo, is the boss. So he never learns this stuff because he's too stubborn and prideful, and no one who matters corrects him for fear that he'll act up or throw a tantrum (like the club scene when he yells at someone to get him another bottle after one his dad's right hand men puts him in his place and takes his booze), potentially having his dad come down on them. Ioseph surrounded himself with cowards and imbeciles. On top of that, they even cast Theon Greyjoy (Alfie Allen) who is basically the posterchild of playing a stupid, entitled dipshit with a chip on his shoulder because his father is disappointed in him but he's so useless that it backfires.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: February 16, 2015, 12:21:58 AM »
I can't let you call John Wick a Bad Movie. Its a focused movie that knows what it is doing unlike actual bad movies like Transformers.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

« Reply #4982 on: February 16, 2015, 01:10:25 AM »
Aren't you that already? Or are you still waiting to graduate?

I am in my fourth year of college and going on 33 years old so does that qualify as grouchy old man, doubtful. But yeah I am getting bitter these days or have been for a while.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: February 16, 2015, 02:39:35 AM »
Holy crap, you're 33? I thought you are 25-30. Beat me out in the grumpy old man department.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: February 16, 2015, 07:30:24 AM »
I can't let you call John Wick a Bad Movie. Its a focused movie that knows what it is doing unlike actual bad movies like Transformers.
Well, unfortunately for you, I don't need your permission to call the movie what I want. And if you read further than the second sentence, I did call it fun and entertaining. John Wick is very focused; it is what it sets out to be, but it still lacks the basic tenets of decent storytelling. Yeah, Transformers is a bad movie because it lacks decent storytelling AND doesn't even do what it wants to well. That's why I specified. I thoroughly enjoyed John Wick for what it is. I still wouldn't call it a good movie. Ultimately, I don't need it to be. I went into it wanting to see John Wick get sweet revenge with fresh action scenes, and that's exactly what I got.

« Reply #4985 on: February 16, 2015, 11:27:42 AM »
well I am a lot more mature in real life than I am here, this is a place to vent and unwind. Its like a drug. When I first started coming here I was 21 and people thought I was 16 or younger. I believe in being raw people don't like it they can **** off. But I like you guys most of you, not all of you but most of you.

« Reply #4986 on: February 16, 2015, 11:28:39 AM »
Well, unfortunately for you, I don't need your permission to call the movie what I want. And if you read further than the second sentence, I did call it fun and entertaining. John Wick is very focused; it is what it sets out to be, but it still lacks the basic tenets of decent storytelling. Yeah, Transformers is a bad movie because it lacks decent storytelling AND doesn't even do what it wants to well. That's why I specified. I thoroughly enjoyed John Wick for what it is. I still wouldn't call it a good movie. Ultimately, I don't need it to be. I went into it wanting to see John Wick get sweet revenge with fresh action scenes, and that's exactly what I got.

Transformers was not a bad movie, it was very entertaining it had some cheesy moments but its a summer blockbuster they are supposed to do that. ALL sequel were garbage though,.

« Reply #4987 on: February 20, 2015, 09:39:42 PM »
Got my copy of AVGN The Movie in the mail today. It was about what I expected. I was hoping it would have been better but it was good for what it was. I especially liked the Nostalgia Critic appearance and his review.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: February 22, 2015, 10:22:33 PM »
Kingsmen

Holy ****, go watch this. This has been a very good start of the year for action films. Samuel L Jackson actually acts in this one. Collin Firth as some poncy badass?! The Trailers SUUUCCCKKK. The level of violence while not gory is right up there. Old school James Bond that has been shaken, not stirred?

Oxford before Bros.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4989 on: February 23, 2015, 12:15:52 AM »
I saw Kingsman today as well, and completely concur.

Easy 8/10 for being funny, action packed, and well (enough) acted.  Lost points for cheap tension but made up for it with the ending.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: February 23, 2015, 03:09:50 AM »
Kingsmen

Holy ****, go watch this. This has been a very good start of the year for action films. Samuel L Jackson actually acts in this one. Collin Firth as some poncy badass?! The Trailers SUUUCCCKKK. The level of violence while not gory is right up there. Old school James Bond that has been shaken, not stirred?

Oxford before Bros.

Colin Firth in an action movie makes the entire movie worth it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: February 23, 2015, 06:31:04 AM »
Killing Them Softly
Ehh, really boring. There were a couple decent scenes, but there's a reason it took me four months to watch this movie.

RoboCop
I almost turned this off when Samuel L. Jackson said, "Robophobic." I kind of wish I did because this was not good, and I didn't expect it to be which I thought would help its chances. I was too lazy to scroll through Netflix for something better and my calzone was getting cold. I don't know why they bothered to remake again. Here's a much better one and it's less than four minutes long:

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: February 23, 2015, 08:05:55 AM »
Project Almanac: if I knew this was a found footage movie I wouldn’t have bothered.

Secondly, while the film centres on time travel it takes repeated liberties around the accepted ideas around time travel just to make it work. So I’m about to spoiler the **** out of this movie, and that’s usually a hint i didn't like it.

The film namechecks both Looper and Doctor Who as the premise for the movie (people can travel back in time) to accelerate exposition, but conveniently forgets the cornerstone rule of the Who franchise – never travel into your own past, because of the damage you may make to your own timeline and potentially causing a paradox – and then does it anyway.

The movie makes a point of showing what happens with duplicates (you see your past self, both disappear) but simply ignores what happens when present duplicates are seen in the same place. In one part of the movie, one of the kids fails his chemistry test and needed to pass it so he went back repeatedly to get all the answers to the questions, but in each time he travelled back there’s only one group of time travellers (themselves) rather than 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 and constantly increasing. It was always one set.

The concept of ripple effect is used to quite baffling effect. Because the main character goes back three months to kiss the main female character (resulting in them two getting together), this kicks off a chain reaction that somehow results in the basketball team (neither of which are connected or related) to lose because one of the star players’ broke their leg, which results in that guy’s father (a pilot) not being on a plane in London (to Madrid) which results in it crashing killing 77 people.

To keep the premise of the movie going, one of the rules set is to film everything. In the climax of the film, the main character goes back 10 years to his 7th birthday (where he’s seen in the mirror of his footage from the birthday party, completing the paradox that he has to go back there -  but the entire film and all its characters ignores that point) to meet his alive-at-the-time father to convince him that his time machine does work, but cannot be built because of the damage it will cause. So he goes and destroys some key components and blueprints, preventing the machine being built, while leaving the camera to film the entire event.

When he destroys the equipment, he disappears entirely but the camera does not. It remains and is filming everything and is stored up with his now-dead fathers’ equipment for 10 years (with the first identical camera from the party) depicting the entire movie – which could not have possibly happened because it came from the original timeline which now never happened, because the time machine was never built in the first place to enable him to go back in time and be recorded - on tape.

A loop is still established because a future self appears in the mirror, but cannot be completed (or seen in the future) as a result of the lack of equipment needed in the future to go back in time to be seen in the mirror in the past. So how can it still be there? Assuming this is a single timeline (and not several different timelines when they change the past each time), that’s simply not possible.

Because of this, there should be only one camera, not two, and maybe no shot of him in the mirror from 10 years previous.

The final scenes of the film imply they could rebuild it again, but how can they when the equipment was destroyed? Because they have evidence of a previous run (and records of experiments)  of that timeline? If they do, then the loop is established yet again by the mirror and they are doomed to repeat the entire sequence of events.

So this film just drove me crazy by the end.

But it's a happy ending apparently.

« Reply #4993 on: February 26, 2015, 11:47:13 AM »
I forgot about Robocop remake, I actually did go see that in theaters wow how did I forget that? Yeah it was a terrible movie. Nothing from the original made it into this one not even vague passing references aside from a couple of obvious connections that any movie doing this would have done.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: March 08, 2015, 01:21:32 PM »
Whiplash.

HOLY ****.
I went into this movie blind, only knowing that it came highly recommended, so I had no idea what it was about or who was in it. None of that even matters at this point. all I know is OMG at that finale. It was good all the way through, but it just makes the finale all that much more... well, I found myself almost holding my breath it was so damn intense. As soon as it was over I had to catch my breath I was so caught up in the final moments.

You don't have to go in blind, but I went in with zero expectation and came out more than satisfied with the experience.

oh, and Miles Teller (Mr. Fantastic), the girl who was just chosen to play Supergirl, and JK Simmons (J. Jonah Jameson) are all in this. And JK was, well, he was damn good in this.
Highly recommended.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4995 on: March 09, 2015, 10:38:51 AM »
Chappie:

What if Pinocchio was Robocop? AKA Short Circuit... in criminal Johannesburg!

Blomkamp is back. After underwhelming Elysium which was a pale imitation of his own Distrct 9, he tackles new subjects and succeeds.

Plot is riddled with holes and outright bullshit, but you gotta let it all pass. After all it's sci-fi and that's exactly what you paid for -- fantastic things.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

« Reply #4996 on: March 09, 2015, 10:01:22 PM »
watched something called Identical. My sister tricked me into it since it had Seth Green but it was a lousy boring pile of garbage. It was basically some alternate reality parody or something about how Elvis twin didn't die but was adopted to some preacher family or something I don't know it was boring.

Also just watched Alexander and the really long name, it was an okay kids movie it had some funny moments.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:37:06 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: March 10, 2015, 04:28:37 AM »
Chappie:

What if Pinocchio was Robocop? AKA Short Circuit... in criminal Johannesburg!

Blomkamp is back. After underwhelming Elysium which was a pale imitation of his own Distrct 9, he tackles new subjects and succeeds.

Plot is riddled with holes and outright bullshit, but you gotta let it all pass. After all it's sci-fi and that's exactly what you paid for -- fantastic things.

I quite enjoyed it. Elysium was a bit of a letdown, a bit, but i really like Blomkamp's use of developing cities in the use of his films. It's such a refreshing take on things over crisp pristine shinyness.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: March 10, 2015, 10:42:36 AM »
Whiplash.

HOLY ****.
I went into this movie blind, only knowing that it came highly recommended, so I had no idea what it was about or who was in it. None of that even matters at this point. all I know is OMG at that finale. It was good all the way through, but it just makes the finale all that much more... well, I found myself almost holding my breath it was so damn intense. As soon as it was over I had to catch my breath I was so caught up in the final moments.

You don't have to go in blind, but I went in with zero expectation and came out more than satisfied with the experience.

oh, and Miles Teller (Mr. Fantastic), the girl who was just chosen to play Supergirl, and JK Simmons (J. Jonah Jameson) are all in this. And JK was, well, he was damn good in this.
Highly recommended.

Welcome to the club. That's pretty much how I first saw the movie as well. If you have the means, I highly recommend it.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: March 21, 2015, 10:12:46 AM »
INTERSTELLAR

I like more Christopher Nolan films than I dislike, with Dark Knight Rises being the one that overall lets me down. This movie, Interstellar was such a mixed bag of ideas that looked good but failed overall. I think its far too long (most nolan movies are) and its not really sure what it wants to be. I'm glad I watched it but I never want to see it again.