Author Topic: Season Pass, DLC Coming to Mario Golf: World Tour  (Read 6834 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Season Pass, DLC Coming to Mario Golf: World Tour
« on: April 22, 2014, 10:58:40 AM »

Spend $15 and nearly double the content in Nintendo's upcoming 3DS golf game.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37215/season-pass-dlc-coming-to-mario-golf-world-tour

Three DLC packs are coming to Mario Golf: World Tour after launch that will add six 18-hole courses and four playable characters. The packs will be sold separately for $5.99 each or in a season pass that will be $14.99.

The first pack, called the Mushroom Pack, launches alongside World Tour on May 2 and will include two new courses and a playable Toadette. The Flower Pack will follow later in May with two more courses and a playable Nabbit. The final pack, out in June, is the Star Pack and will add two more courses and Rosalina as a playable character.

Additionally, season pass buyers will have access to the character Gold Mario right away, while everyone else will have access to the golden character after all three packs are out. Gold Mario has a Golden Flower shot that gains coins for every yard the ball travels. Coins can be used to buy in-game content such as new clothing and golf accessories for your Mii.

If you're on the fence regarding the downloadable content, Nintendo will host Trial Tournaments that let players try out portions of the new courses before buying.

See the gallery below for images of the courses and characters!

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Season Pass, DLC Coming to Mario Golf: World Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 01:25:54 PM »
I want this game more than any other in 2014, but $15 for DLC? Heck no.

Especially since it's Day 1 DLC. Meaning it should be included in the game.

Shame on you Nintendo. Still buying the game, but skipping DLC.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 01:35:14 PM »
$15 isn't bad for a season pass, you save a few bucks. In any case, Super Smash Bros. is probably the only game I'll buy DLC for.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 01:43:48 PM »
Well, I'll say this for Nintendo: at least they're telling you what you're getting with the Season Pass, and it's $5 less than the typical DLC Season Pass.  That's more than most companies who put these Season Passes out offer.  And yeah, like Adrock I hope the inevitable Smash Bros. DLC has a Season Pass as well.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 01:48:24 PM »
It's not like you're getting a game that doesn't have more content than any prior Mario Golf, course-wise, and that's without the DLC. If you want even more, then you can get the DLC, and heck, you can even try it out before you buy it.

I don't see an issue here.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »
A significant amount of extra content and the initial game $10 cheaper than usual to compensate? If that's how Nintendo's doing DLC, I can't say I'm too mad.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Tora

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 03:18:05 PM »
Season pass?  Welcome to the dark side nintendo.

Speaking of Nintendo, when are they gonna release BioShock on their consoles?  I'd buy a Wii U and a 3DS if they did.

Offline EvilMario

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 03:50:42 PM »
Just because it's Day 1 DLC doesn't mean it 'should be included'.

Given that the retail game is giving you more courses / holes than previous entries into the console series, they're not cutting the expected content at all. This is another smart move because it allows them to cut the MSRP and get the game into more people's hands.

I'm all for this sort of DLC, which is upfront about what's being offered, not cutting content and looks to be very solid. Nintendo has been pretty good about DLC thus far in my book. Fire Emblem, NSMBU/2 and now Golf, all offer as much content as has been included in previous series entries and now you can buy more, roughly doubling each game's content, for a reasonable price.

I think the mistake here (even if it is a golf term) is calling it a 'Season Pass' which stirs up all sorts of bad feeling as an industry term. I also have some concerns with how DLC could divide a userbase that's very heavy in online play, as this game will be (and as Mario Kart and Smash Bros will be too). But overall, I'm glad they're offering this.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 03:54:28 PM »
The main game is as big or bigger than previous games, and the total game+DLC package that includes far more content than usual costs $5 more than standard retail for a 3DS game. They also tell you all that going in. I wish the rest of the industry did things this way.

This isn't Nintendo succumbing to the dark side; this is Nintendo showing everyone else how it's done.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 06:30:44 PM »
It's important to note that the game, retail and eShop, is selling for $29.99 in North America in most stores (Gamestop is selling the retail version at $34.99 for some reason). The $14.99 season pass would put the total at $44.98 (buying each DLC separately increases the total to 57.96), which is only about $5 more than the regular 3DS game price of $39.99. So, you are still getting a lot of golfing.

While the pricing and product is reasonable and clear, that I had to stop and think about the math and value of what's on offer is why I detest most DLC and microtransactions.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 08:06:18 PM »
I don't know. I have such mixed feelings about DLC content. When I get a game, I like to complete it 100%. It's a cruel addiction and it doesn't always happen. But now when I do, is it 100% or do I need to get the DLC to consider it 100% complete? What if I don't get the DLC and it disappears like the Wi-Fi impending shutdown where you will no longer be able to access and download the extra Layton or Picross puzzles? Will it ever be possible to see such content again? Would it be re-released in a new game? If lost, was it ever that important? Was there a great experience missed? If it is packaged into a new game later, would that game be lessened for people because they already played the DLC content long before?

If it was all just included in the game, then it would be so much better. The content will always be there. No player is ever missing out on the experience and it is up to them to play it or not. It's great to say that it lengthens the game experience for those that want more but isn't that why a new game is released in a franchise? So that people can have more?

The only purpose is to make extra money on something that is already done. It's not like the game has been released for 2 years and now Nintendo's putting some resources together to make this extra DLC. It was made at the same time as the rest of the game and therefore the cost for it will be covered in the sales of the game whether people buy the DLC content or not. If not and only 100 people buy the DLC (I know it will probably be much more but I'm just making a point), you think the cost of resources in making the DLC will be covered by those 100 sales? Most likely not. Therefore, no company is going to hope the DLC cost is covered in DLC sales. It will be covered in the actual retail sales. DLC is just a way for companies to double dip and make more money on the same product. It's great for businesses to do obviously and why it is increasingly occurring in game sales and right now, I can't think of how to properly stop it or protest it but I'm rather against it.

The only case where I've bought DLC and had no issue with it is Rock Band. Rock Band actually kept releasing new songs for years and that meant they actually were taking the time to keep developing and coding and getting the rights for it and it allowed for a greater customization of getting songs I liked to play. In that case, DLC was great because I'd rather just buy new songs I want than a whole new game with possibly 25% being songs I'd like to play over and over.

Do you really think we'll keep seeing new golf courses released over the next couple years? Phoenix Wright had an extra case you could buy. If Capcom wanted, they could just keep releasing a new case every 3 months or so and do a complete sequel that way. But they won't. As announced earlier, they are making a new entry in the series. What happens to the extra case? Do they reference thereby leaving a lot of players out of the loop/joke/reference? Do they skip it thereby making it a further inconsequential matter? Will they include it in the next release thereby making it a waste of money if you bought it on its own?

I think Nintendo did it best when it was free. Paying for DLC is one bnad wagon I'm not about to jump on even if it is from Nintendo.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 08:08:50 PM »
Edit: Meant to say bandwagon not bnad wagon. Unfortunately, you can't edit in Talkback.  8)
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 10:18:55 PM »
There's two ways they could have avoided the internet explosion:

1) Don't put the content out day 1 so people realize what's in the game,
2) Don't call it a "season pass" after the likes of We The People Infinite and Battlefield 4 have poisoned the well for that term.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Tora

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
I'll want the Nintendo fans praise it, though their were the same people who critisised it when it was on other consoles.  As always, Nintendo is laughably behind.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 10:25:17 PM »
"Season Pass" was probably a poor choice of words, given the connotations, but I actually think it's refreshing that Nintendo made no effort to hide what they're doing. They're very up front about what's in the game and what you get for paying extra. Like I said, if this kind of thing is here to stay in the games industry, this is exactly how it should be done.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Tora

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 10:41:37 PM »
The main game is as big or bigger than previous games, and the total game+DLC package that includes far more content than usual costs $5 more than standard retail for a 3DS game. They also tell you all that going in. I wish the rest of the industry did things this way.

This isn't Nintendo succumbing to the dark side; this is Nintendo showing everyone else how it's done.

How is this, in anyway better than the vast majority of DLC on the Market?  Firstly, the 'season' of content is available day one, so I don't see how it's a "season" let alone why should it not be included with the main game. This is in no way better than anything else available on other consoles.  Hell, at least with Bioshock Infinite the DLC was spread out across a whole year and offered fast amounts of content not on the CD, for 20$.

This just seems like Nintendo trying to charge people 5 dollars extra for stuff that should have been included in the first place.  Tsk. Tsk.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 10:50:29 PM »
Well, for one, the main game is $10 cheaper than the standard price for a 3DS game. Second, that main game includes as much or more content than any previous Mario Golf game.

Look at any season pass from any other company, and find me one that gives more additional content for less money, with a completely full-featured base game. When you do that, I'll entertain the idea that this isn't a superior way to handle this kind of thing.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Tora

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 11:04:13 PM »
Well, for one, the main game is $10 cheaper than the standard price for a 3DS game. Second, that main game includes as much or more content than any previous Mario Golf game.

Look at any season pass from any other company, and find me one that gives more additional content for less money, with a completely full-featured base game. When you do that, I'll entertain the idea that this isn't a superior way to handle this kind of thing.

Bioshock Infinite. 

20 dollars adds at least 8 hours of game play.  Stuff that isn't apart of the Disc.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 11:15:35 PM »
Ooh. The courses are remixed versions from Mario Golf 64.

http://youtu.be/SyonEI7vCfU
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 11:16:19 PM »

Bioshock Infinite. 

20 dollars adds at least 8 hours of game play.  Stuff that isn't apart of the Disc.

Yes, that does indeed meet one of the three or four criteria I listed.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Tora

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 11:26:16 PM »

Bioshock Infinite. 

Yes, that does indeed meet one of the three or four criteria I listed.

"Completely full-featured base game" -  Not sure what this means exactly.

"more additional content for less money, with a completely full-featured base game"

Okay, I'll add some criteria. 
"Game has content build it.  Should of already be there".  -  No real reason not to include it. 

Also, I think just the Clash in the clouds DLC in infinite adds more longevity, for 9.99.

Also, GTA 5 is another that comes to mind, so Is Mass effect.

As for the game, this Mario Golf DLC doesn't even sound like a lot of content.  It's just golf, holes, which are just various different positions of the same map theme.  And paying that much for 4 characters that all do the same thing is asinine.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 10:24:56 AM »
I have a much softer stance on DLC now than when it was first a thing which I attribute to the passage of time. Nintendo doesn't get a pass because they're Nintendo. Had Nintendo offered DLC last generation, I would have voiced opposition to it. At the time, I lauded their decision not to offer DLC. I'm not bothered by them offering DLC now for the same reason I'm not bother by any company offering DLC. It's 2014. DLC is a part of gaming now. I can choose not to buy it, and up to this point, I have. I was close to buying DLC for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow before opting against it (I may just end up buying the Collection when it inevitably drops in price).

Currently, the only Wii U game I own that offers DLC is Resident Evil: Revelaitons HD. There are two bonus Raid characters for $5 each. F that. They aren't even characters I care about. Since DLC is the status quo now, I weigh my options. I don't get caught up in the whole this-should-have-been-included thing. It's a concern people have that I understand yet ultimately ignore. The fact is that content wasn't included. Do I get the sense that there's enough content to justify a purchase? Yes? Buy. No? Don't buy. I apply that to everything. I don't remember the last game I bought at full price.

I figured that the one game that will convince me to buy DLC would be Super Smash Bros. Costumes? No. Characters and stages? So much yes. The verdict is still out on whether it'll even happen for those games. Still, Nintendo being this open with what you get with a Season Pass makes the decision so much easier if what they're doing with Mario Golf: World Tour is their standard.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 08:58:15 PM »
I'm disappointed to see this news, but also not surprised at all. Nintendo have been losing money for the past couple of years and are getting desperate for some profit right now, and DLC is unfortunately an easy way to scrounge some up. It was only a matter of time before they joined in on all this nonsense. I'm also a little surprised that they are calling it a "season pass," for some reason I thought that was trademarked by EA, though even if it isn't, I would think Nintendo would come up with their own term for that sort of thing.

I don't know. I have such mixed feelings about DLC content...
You explained my thoughts better than I could.

Get out of my head!