Author Topic: Buy XBox 360 between Nov. 21 and Dec. 21, MS will mail you a free Halo 3  (Read 3799 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Wow?

1. Buy an Xbox 360 console by December 21.
2. Connect to Xbox LIVE.
3. Register HERE with promotional code XBX7777, your new console serial number, and a valid mailing address.
4. And look for your copy of Halo 3 for Xbox 360 in your mailbox!

So uh... does MS figure they've already blown through all the people who'd ever want to buy Halo 3 (the title has sold more than 3.7 million in America so far, so it's not beyond reason) and now they can totally sabotage their software sales?

... should Nintendo implement the same sort of program with MADDEN games? Buy a Wii and mail in for a free copy of last-year's Madden? Madden is a horrifically front-loaded franchise sales-wise, just like Halo 3 is suspected to be, and perhaps Nintendo could penetrate more into the hardcore/traditional households this way?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Sister Mary LeFever

• PS3ROX!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Buy XBox 360 between Nov. 21 and Dec. 21, MS will mail you a free Halo 3
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 07:39:14 AM »

*Online offer valid in the 50 United States, D.C., and all United States military bases with valid APO/FPO bases. Offer expires 23:59 hr (PST) December 21, 2007. You must purchase a new Xbox 360 system between November 21, 2007, and December 21, 2007, establish a new Xbox LIVE Account, then register on the promotion website on or before December 21, 2007. Hard drive, Windows Liveā„¢ ID, and high speed Internet access required for Xbox LIVE account. (See Xbox LIVE system requirements at www.xbox.com/live.) Limit: one offer submission per person. Xbox 360 Halo 3 game will be fulfilled through mail by January 18, 2008. Fulfillment requires a valid mailing address. Not combinable with other Microsoft offers or rebates. Proof of purchase required.

Could someone please elaborate on the bolded section for me? It appears one would need to set up a new X-Box Live account to fulfill the requirements, a minor problem for those of us whom already own one.

As for the effectiveness of this strategy, it might be enough to swing those still apathetic over. In fact, I'm rather tempted myself...
My signature is a trainwreck

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĆ©-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:45:37 AM »
Halo 3 isn't worth buying a 360 over. We played it for a week and a half and got bored with it.

Orange Box, on the other hand...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE:Buy XBox 360 between Nov. 21 and Dec. 21, MS will mail you a free Halo 3
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 07:52:25 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Orange Box, on the other hand...

That's what a computer is for.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 08:08:03 AM »
DO NOT RESPOND TO SPAM

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 08:31:35 AM »
Kairon is a spam bot?!?!? Noooooo.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

• PS3ROX!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 08:33:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Halo 3 isn't worth buying a 360 over. We played it for a week and a half and got bored with it.

I do agree, but attaching the word "free" to anything makes it sound much sweeter. A 360 would allow me to get Assassin's Creed, Bioshock and all the other gems I have been missing, getting Halo 3 for free is merely icing on the cake.

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
That's what a computer is for.

I cannot agree with this enough.

/Hugs PC

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 09:49:49 AM »

So uh... does MS figure they've already blown through all the people who'd ever want to buy Halo 3 (the title has sold more than 3.7 million in America so far, so it's not beyond reason) and now they can totally sabotage their software sales?

Are you dumb? This is the best promotion ever. This is for the families with kids that want it for Christmas, and the people that didn't think it was a good enough value yet. Sales are gonna jump, IMO.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 09:53:23 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
DO NOT RESPOND TO SPAM

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 09:55:34 AM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R
This is for the families with kids that want it for Christmas, and the people that didn't think it was a good enough value yet. Sales are gonna jump, IMO.
I can picture it now ... little Johny wakes up in the morning, comes running down the stairs, and in a tornado of wrapping paper a brand new 360 emerges.  He dashes to the television, hooks it up in a blink of an eye and then waits eight to ten weeks for his game to arrive in the mail.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 10:34:54 AM »
Hmm... why isn't the link working anymore?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 02:54:42 PM »
Well now Microsoft changed the terms around:

If you're an original Xbox owner with a paid Xbox Live account and purchase an Xbox 360 between November 21 and December 21 of this year, you'll be entitled to a free copy of Bungie's sci-fi opus. As it's not present inside the console's packaging, you'll have to wait for Microsoft to mail the game to you (it arrives by January 18, 2008). After unpacking your new system, you'll be expected to convert your Xbox Live account to a Gold subscription, and enter your details, including the system's serial number, into this registration page before December 21.  
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

• PS3ROX!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 03:02:15 PM »
Much, much better for me. My X-Box died, and I still have roughly six months left on my Live account. This is a good move by Microsoft, it might swing a lot of people to their side.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 04:13:31 PM »
That's pretty nifty, but I'm honestly surprised that not all the people that wanted Halo 3 haven't already gotten their hands on it, or will have their hands on it for Christmas, anyways.

Honestly, since some PS3's are cheaper than some 360's, they should have just packaged the game in the system, but I guess they want to hook players on LiVE!

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 02:58:32 AM »
Well, if you look at how the deal really works, MS is just trying to convert Halo 2 hold-outs over to the 360.  They have probably found they still have a large number of Xbox Live customers playing Halo 2 and are thinking, "these guys need to get with the program before they buy a Wii / PS3."
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX