Author Topic: Official SSBB SmashDate Discussion  (Read 460414 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE:Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - Taste the Rainbow!
« Reply #2425 on: November 21, 2007, 09:37:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I wasn't counting him/her/it, no.

There were only 5 "real" secret characters: Marth, G&W, Mewtwo, Luigi and the Jiggs. Ness and Falcon were open from the start, as well as Bowser, Zelda, Climbers and Peach, added to the original 8.

Thus, there were 19 actual characters in SSBM. 12 have been revealed and are neatly denoted as vets on the SSBB site, that leaves 7 to be revealed and 9 weeks to show them off.

We all assume the 'Dorf will be back, considering they delayed Melee to add him (or he was at least requested to the point that they added him). Even if none of the other clones make it back, that's still 8 Melee vets and 9 weeks (assuming Marth and Ness weren't axed).

I just want to say that I think locking characters that have been in past games is downright silly. It's like letting someone watch while you wrap a present and then handing it to them.

Luigi, Jigglypuff, Ness, Mewtwo and G&W will probably all be locked away at the start, unless they are cut from the cast.  I really don't see why they would be though.

Marth may get the axe, but I have a feeling he will be in and so will Falcon, probably from the start.

I am guessing Sonic, Snake, and other 3rd party characters will also be locked away at the beginning.  

Which brings me to the logical conclusion of perhaps 10 to 12 unlockable characters total.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
RE: Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - Taste the Rainbow!
« Reply #2426 on: November 21, 2007, 10:07:24 AM »
I said it once before, GANONDORF  You know he's gonna be revealed soon enough
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: November 21, 2007, 06:24:55 PM »
I wonder if this character signals the chance for a newcomer that is from Sin and Punishment?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: November 21, 2007, 06:25:09 PM »
I'm guessing everyone must be sleeping tonight.

Assist Trophy update tonight, Saki Amamiya from Sin and Punishment.  Not much else to say since this is another something we've known since E for All.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: November 21, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
I'm guessing everyone must be sleeping tonight.

Assist Trophy update tonight, Saki Amamiya from Sin and Punishment.  Not much else to say since this is another something we've known since E for All.

It was a surprise for me because I didn't pay attention to the assist trophies revealed at E for All lol.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2430 on: November 21, 2007, 06:34:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
Luigi, Jigglypuff, Ness, Mewtwo and G&W will probably all be locked away at the start, unless they are cut from the cast.  I really don't see why they would be though.

Luigi and Jigglypuff should pretty much be guaranteed. They were unlockable in both games, so I can se them keeping the tradition (especially with JP). Also, we can't forget that Ness might not be back.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: November 21, 2007, 06:39:54 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
I wonder if this character signals the chance for a newcomer that is from Sin and Punishment?

Well consider Saki was the main character of that game, it's unlikely any Sin and Punishment characters will be playable.  Since the game was Japan only until two months ago not to mention the game bombed big time in Japan when it was released on the N64, I consider getting any mention of Sin and Punishment to be a miracle.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline HadesGigas

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: November 21, 2007, 06:40:36 PM »

Has the Smash Bros icon instead of a Sin & Punishment-related icon, so nope.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: November 21, 2007, 07:45:38 PM »

I highly doubt it, because he IS Sin and Punishment.  He is really the only one that would make sense for "newcommer" status.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: November 21, 2007, 09:28:31 PM »
I know we've known about him for a while, but I still consider this another "I wish he was a playable character" Assist Trophy. Why must they tease us so?

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: November 22, 2007, 03:04:28 AM »
Because the game is no good confirmed!  Palette swaps instead of alternate costumes?  Assist trophies that should be playable characters?  It's all downhill from here, folks...
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: November 22, 2007, 05:47:09 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
Because the game is no good confirmed!  Palette swaps instead of alternate costumes?  Assist trophies that should be playable characters?  It's all downhill from here, folks...

Yeah, I'll go cancel my pre-order because there might not be an obscure character from a Japanese-only shooter and Mario in a laboratory coat...

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: November 22, 2007, 05:59:38 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric Smash I think your giving the left hand way to much credit.

Well, Sakurai is the director and the author of the blog. I think he'd be the first one to know if they game was going to need a delay.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: November 22, 2007, 07:02:54 AM »
Who knows guys, there could still be unlockable costumes when everything is said and done. We know we will be unlocking characters, stages, and music, so who knows what other little trinkets like stickers and things we will be getting.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: November 22, 2007, 06:04:52 PM »
Charged Specials and Lucas's Final Smash.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2440 on: November 22, 2007, 06:10:10 PM »
Hmmm...This week we got 2 Final smash updates, two game mode updates and two item updates.

I'm wondering, is Sakurai trying to get every small update out of the way so he can focus on bigger, better announcements?

There are still a lot of moves and final smashes to talk about so maybe he's trying to finish the characters we have so far so he can work on new ones?

Its the only way I can explain why we have been getting three solid weeks of crappy updates...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: November 22, 2007, 06:11:09 PM »
Sin and Punishment is not Japan only now.  It's been VC'd, and it's hardly obscure.  It had a pretty big cult following.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: November 22, 2007, 06:12:23 PM »
Or maybe he's just out of good stuff because he planned on the game being on its way out.  It's possible that everything else he planned to leave out of updates.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2443 on: November 22, 2007, 06:25:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Crimm
Or maybe he's just out of good stuff because he planned on the game being on its way out.  It's possible that everything else he planned to leave out of updates.

I doubt he's out of good stuff to talk about...

-He still needs to talk about the gold coins we earn throughout the game.
-In the 2 player adventure mode update he mentioned at the characters would power up in a way "never before seen in a game".
-He still needs to talk about the third part of Castle siege
-The only modes that haven't been confirmed are the board the platforms, race to the finish and mission mode.

And don't even get me started on the veteran characters. I understand complete keeping the newcomers a secret. But it doesn't make sense to keep the veterans a secret.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2444 on: November 22, 2007, 07:08:42 PM »
He doesn't "need" to talk about the 3rd part of castle seige, but I can see where you are coming from. There's a lot of info to be had, and we'll have it. . .at some point.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: November 23, 2007, 02:58:18 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
And don't even get me started on the veteran characters. I understand complete keeping the newcomers a secret. But it doesn't make sense to keep the veterans a secret.

Heh, that's what you'd like to think....

Yay or nay on known characters is more suspenseful and thus makes perfect sense on why they would choose to withhold that info.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: November 23, 2007, 08:21:52 AM »
I realized why character reveals are the most important updates...

If there's one thing I've learned from studying previews of games to death, it's that one can never gauge anything about how a game actually plays without actually playing it him/herself. My best examples are SSBM and World of Warcraft. In both cases, I had gotten an idea in my head about how a game played and found that, in reality, the game was completely different from what I expected.

Updates which focus on gameplay, final smashes, moves, etc. all need to be tested in order to be understood. A final smash can look absolutely badass and yet be almost completely worthless in practice, but we won't know that until we play the game for ourselves, and probably won't REALLY know until we've had a good deal of game time under our belts (ie. everyone figures out a way to avoid a final smash and it's considered worthless from then on).

Character reveals, on the other hand, are definite. For example, King Dedede's reveal confirmed that he is in the game. We know nothing else, but we know that his likeness and character will be present in SSBB. How he plays, how his moves work in an actual gameplay context, etc. are still very much up in the air, but we KNOW that Dedede is in the game and you will be able to play as him.

That is THE most certain thing we can find out through updates. We only have snippets of music so we don't know if the whole song is good or not. Levels can look crazy but we won't know for certain because we don't have first-hand knowledge of how the physics of the game will relate to those levels.

The ONLY certainty in SSBB which we can know without playing it is the roster, period. Online could be laggy and unplayable, stickers could be boring, spectator mode could suck, the level editor could be clunky and buggy, but if they tell us Sonic is in the game, we KNOW FOR CERTAIN that he is in the damn game.

Anything else is speculation and invites disappointment. I was excited about the level editor but I was wrong in being so. Until I've felt how it plays, I'm just inviting disappointment.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2447 on: November 23, 2007, 08:41:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Shecky

Originally posted by: pap64

Heh, that's what you'd like to think....

Yay or nay on known characters is more suspenseful and thus makes perfect sense on why they would choose to withhold that info.

That logic makes sense with the likes of the clones, Shiek, Ganondorf and to an extend Luigi.

We all have heard that clones will get the tossed out of the brawl, but some would be completely overhauled and be unique characters. If I am not mistaken, I heard Falco might be a little bit different from Fox, the same way Luigi was a bit different from Mario in Melee.

An update on Ganondorf would be exciting since Brawl would be the first time his character was wholly represented, as in, he isn't a Capt. Falcon clone.

Sheik is also another exciting update because we don't if she's going to be part of Zelda's moveset or be an unique character apart from her.

However, we know for sure that Capt. Falcon is in the game as he is a Melee veteran and he's one of the more popular characters. So why would Sakurai keep HIM  a secret, ESPECIALLY since his appearance was confirmed through the website in a subtle way?

Take a look at the assist trophies page. Most of them feature the standard SSB logo as their icon. However, characters from games being presented in Brawl have their game's logo as their icon. Samurai Goroh has the Capt. Falcon logo as his personal icon. Since we haven't gotten an update on the F-Zero stage, song and item that only leaves Capt. Falcon.

So we know for sure Falcon's in the game. But once more, why has Sakurai delayed his appearance?

So again, that logic makes sense for the clones, Sheik, Ganondorf, Luigi, Marth and Jigglypuff. But for Capt. Falcon its just plain stupid, unless Falcon has gotten a HUGE overhaul and they are keeping him a secret because of that, which I doubt.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: November 23, 2007, 09:32:18 AM »
Interesting thought...

What if there's a Wii F-Zero game in development which features a new character as its lead. Just like Ike's icon is the Falchion, so too might this new character be represented by the Falcon icon.

It would explain why we haven't heard much from the F-Zero franchise yet.

We've seen a character from all of the former franchises except F-Zero and G&W, I believe. G&W I could see being axed, but F-Zero is a far bigger franchise with a shot at sequels. In fact, I have more suspicion toward F-Zero's silence than anything right now.  

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2449 on: November 23, 2007, 01:05:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Interesting thought...

What if there's a Wii F-Zero game in development which features a new character as its lead. Just like Ike's icon is the Falchion, so too might this new character be represented by the Falcon icon.

It would explain why we haven't heard much from the F-Zero franchise yet.

We've seen a character from all of the former franchises except F-Zero and G&W, I believe. G&W I could see being axed, but F-Zero is a far bigger franchise with a shot at sequels. In fact, I have more suspicion toward F-Zero's silence than anything right now.

That's definitely a possibility, although I doubt they would cut Falcon out of the picture. SSB would feel empty without his cries of FALCON PUNCH!!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer