Author Topic: Greenpeace Paints Mario as Bad Dude  (Read 5319 times)

Offline Les Thomas

• NWR Staff News Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Greenpeace Paints Mario as Bad Dude
« on: December 14, 2007, 01:28:04 PM »
The environmental company launches "Clash of the Consoles" website.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=14991

The "Greenpeace vs. the video game industry" saga grows nastier by the day.  Greenpeace recently launched a "Clash of the Consoles" site that pastes the Big 3's mascots next to bar graphs that account for: toxic use, toxic policy, recycling credits, and energy use.  Their clip-art Mario, with his satanic gleam, stares down Nintendo's ratings: red and more red across the board.  But the Wii wins big with its low energy use of 15 Watts.  Microsoft apparently has a toxic policy, but doesn't follow it with the Xbox 360 running at 97 W.  It seems Sony has the same policy but also recycles while the PS3 console runs at 128 W.  Noble but misguided, Greenpeace is not ranking these companies' practices.  Instead it becomes a test of the companies' willingness to comply with the requests and demands of the environmental company.    

Here's what Greenpeace had to say, officially:    

Mario might be super but he's no hero when it comes to avoiding toxic chemicals.  He gets zero recycling credits.    

At least Mario uses small amount of energy, as long as you don't leave him running all day long!    

Comparison: Mario is on a different level when it comes to energy efficiency, with use that matches his diminutive size.

Greenpeace released its quarterly "Guide to Greener Electronics" in late November.  It was a surprise hit to the video game industry and Nintendo especially – with the company's earth-shattering, history-making score of zero.  But that was just the beginning.    

Almost immediately, Ars Technica, the technocrat watchdog, faulted Greenpeace for "flawed" and "lazy" research.  They uncovered that Greenpeace made their ratings on information from press materials and not through serious investigation into company practices.    

Nintendo UK commented first and was surprised.  They stated: "We do not know the basis or methodology used by Greenpeace to produce this report, and therefore cannot comment on it."  Greenpeace was quick to counter and released the following: out of the 18 companies rated, Nintendo was the only one not to respond.  Greenpeace added: "We hope this [score] is the impetus for Nintendo to be more transparent, progressive and proactive in addressing the problems of toxic chemicals and e-waste."    

What next in the saga?  It's anyone's guess.

Les Thomas, Staff News Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: Greenpeace Paints Mario as Bad Dude
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 01:42:52 PM »
Boy, talk about being late to the party! I made mention of this on the general gaming board a few days ago.

Frankly, I don't know who to believe anymore. Both companies claim that they are righteous but both are making each other look bad. So I just watch and enjoy the show.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:Greenpeace Paints Mario as Bad Dude
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:45:34 PM »
Uh...huh.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 04:23:24 PM »
Greenpeace disgusts me.  First PETA, now Greenpeace, only, I really think GP is worse.  That's both GPs, this time. (J/K)

Why hasn't Greenpeace actually analyzed the products sold by Nintendo?  Isn't their PVC use plan irrelevant if they don't use PVC?  I don't know if they do or not, but as far as Greenpeace knows, they don't know either.  I haven't seen evidence either way, and since GP hasn't actually looked for evidence, I know that they know as much as I do.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 05:22:08 PM »
If you watch the video at the very end it looks like they take a little extra jab at nintendo when it says "Jump in tell your tell your game console company Wii would like to live and play in a greener world. Besides who would throw away a Wii?
If you see me please just walk on by, walk on by forget my name and I'll forget it to

Offline bubicus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 06:30:01 PM »
Greenpeace may end up the next Derek Smart if it's not careful.
-----------------------------------------------------
Someday, I'll resurrect bubblebobble.com/bubandbob.com...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 06:51:31 PM »
Green Peace jerks keep hanging around my school. I keep trying to walk to class, but they keep trying to stop me. I usually just speed up and turn up my heads. I don't normally like being rude until they anger me. But, once they tricked me in to a conversation, and I tried not laugh and the guy's speech. He also wanted money, but I told him, "SCS, man. Starving College Students."
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 07:00:47 PM »
Oh, did I mention that a few days ago, I used their email thing to write a letter to Nintendo?  They have something pre-written, but you can change everything it says, so I did that.  They write to Satoru Iwata, which might be one of their problems in the first place, since NOA would be more appropriate, so instead, I changed "Dear Satoru Iwata" to "Dear Reggie" and proceeded to tell Reggie what the site was doing.  Hopefully he gets out a pen and paper and starts taking names.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 12:46:02 AM »
While Greenpeace's campaign is poorly executed, they're on to something.  Why doesn't Nintendo have better environmental policies?  Lately, Apple has been switching their products to recyclable materials (aluminum, glass), maybe Nintendo should try to do the same?

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 01:56:47 AM »
This news article was well written up until the very last line.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 04:51:30 AM »
*psh* Rarely anyone ever talks about Sony's contribution to the US military. I understand companies have to try a lot harder to reduce the pollution they generate, but it really seems that Greenpeace didn't do enough research for their study, if it could be called that to begin with.  
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 06:18:33 AM »
Screw Greenpeace. They are a bunch of crazy hippy jackasses stirring up sh!t any chance they get. They did NO research and then slammed Nintendo for not making their company practices widely available through the web. What a load of crap.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Madcat221

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 01:21:11 PM »
Greenpeace is clattering and foaming again!  Is Mario a bad enough dude to kick their butts?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 01:26:07 PM »

Originally posted by: SOAD is the best
If you watch the video at the very end it looks like they take a little extra jab at nintendo when it says "Jump in tell your tell your game console company Wii would like to live and play in a greener world. Besides who would throw away a Wii?

No, this was an extra jab at all three companies.

"Jump in." was an Xbox 360 catchphrase.
"Wii would like to play." was obviously Wii's.
"Live in your world. Play in ours." was a PlayStation catchphrase.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Podings

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 03:32:36 PM »
I never liked Greenpeace. And Nintendo never liked to brag widely about what measures they take to preserve the environment, as well as what charities they support.

We could all be self-righteous vigilantes like Greenpeace, but then again, we could also just be nice.  
I'm the love child of an NES and a C64.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 04:37:27 PM »

Originally posted by: TheFleece
*psh* Rarely anyone ever talks about Sony's contribution to the US military. I understand companies have to try a lot harder to reduce the pollution they generate, but it really seems that Greenpeace didn't do enough research for their study, if it could be called that to begin with.

Your overly large avatar is polluting the boards! Soon we won't be able to breath!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 09:15:17 AM »
obviously greenpeace hasn't seen this old Mario spot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WPteMFkI2k

also if nintendo or microsoft wanted to they could sue Greenpeace for trademark infringement, mario's design is trademarked.

wow, did some research and they really are buhlshit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Greenpeace
the whole press release goof thing just proves their owned by dr robotnik

http://www.ping.be/~ping5859/Eng/answ/PVCToys.html
http://www.ping.be/~ping5859/index2.html
and apparently pvc levels in such things are so low that they have no effect    
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 08:36:03 AM »

Originally posted by: MegaByte
No, this was an extra jab at all three companies.

"Jump in." was an Xbox 360 catchphrase.
"Wii would like to play." was obviously Wii's.
"Live in your world. Play in ours." was a PlayStation catchphrase.
I had no idea Greenpeace was so clever.  Thanks for enlightening me!  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 08:43:12 AM »
DON'T EAT WII. IT ONLY MAKES YOUR CRAP TOXIC.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 08:51:58 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Originally posted by: TheFleece

Your overly large avatar is polluting the boards! Soon we won't be able to breath!

**cough**cough** Too  **cough** late. **cough**

/dead
Check out PixlBit!