Author Topic: Portal - The Cake is a Lie!  (Read 39439 times)

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Portal - The Cake is a Lie!
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2007, 08:52:42 AM »
Picked up the orange box yesterday. Haven't played it yet, since I have to install Windows (gag! haha jk) first, but I can't wait. It's ringing up a bit cheaper at Target by the way. $45.99 instead of $49.99 (whoo, $4).

Can't wait to try the "real" Portal, and the rest of the package.  
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2007, 12:21:13 PM »
After 30 minutes of gameplay I'm quite expectant that the difficulty will not make my brain hurt, I'm having a blast.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE:Portal - The Cake is a Lie!
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2007, 06:08:15 PM »
Just beat the (real) game, twice (once with commentary.) Still mourning the loss of my beloved companion cube

Great game, even without sound. (My computer doesn't have speakers currently.) (How did I play it with commentary? Closed captioning.)  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2007, 07:47:25 PM »

THOSE THINGS ON HER LEGS KEEP THEM FROM BREAKING AFTER EACH FALL.

AH. I was wondering what those things were, and why she could slam into the floor at super high velocity without dying/breaking anything.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2007, 07:25:23 AM »
Prototype for the Portal exoskeleton. Not really. Close enough though

Offline Sister Mary LeFever

• PS3ROX!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2007, 09:16:04 AM »
Apparently the mapping tools were updated to work with Orange Box games. I cannot wait to see what people can do with Portal.
My signature is a trainwreck

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2007, 12:43:30 PM »
game was awesome, reminds me of zelda. Puzzle solving!!!

now we need a game with water mechanics, portal mechanics, gravity mechanics,wind mechanics, and weight mechanics
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2007, 05:04:31 PM »
The advanced levels are quite challenging too. 3 more to go.
Oh, and so are those little challenges, i.e. passing the level in the least possible # of portals used, least steps taken.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2007, 06:23:37 PM »
Man...all this talk about Team Fortress 2 and Portal is making me wish to buy TOB, but its so goddamn expensive around here and my computer is not up to date!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2007, 05:59:17 AM »
I finished the advanced levels, but some of the challenges are nearly impossible :P.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2007, 06:05:08 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
Man...all this talk about Team Fortress 2 and Portal is making me wish to buy TOB, but its so goddamn expensive around here and my computer is not up to date!
Why not play it on your shiny new Elite?  Dual analog will never be as good as mouse & keyboard, but console Orange Box is better than no Orange Box at all.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2007, 10:53:56 AM »

Originally posted by: UERD
I finished the advanced levels, but some of the challenges are nearly impossible :P.

I'm stuck on the last advanced level *sigh* it's like they want me to do some super duper special awesome portal jump or something.

The challenges can be mind boggling like the least Portals used, or just plain awful annoying like the least number of steps taken.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2007, 04:25:35 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Originally posted by: pap64
Why not play it on your shiny new Elite?  Dual analog will never be as good as mouse & keyboard, but console Orange Box is better than no Orange Box at all.

I WAS talking about the 360 version!

Long story short PR is riddled with new taxes. So what would've been a solid 60 dollar game becomes a 70 dollar investment...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2007, 06:43:49 AM »
It's still worth it at $70, especially if you've never played HL2.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2007, 02:35:14 AM »
Portal alone is worth $70. It'll make your head explode.

Of course it's worth $70, it's not my money after all :P
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2007, 01:53:13 PM »
all i think about is portal now, it has the gta effect. After playing gta i just imagined myself stealing cars all the time, Now i imagine myself making portals everywhere and jumping through them. Front of my house, inside wal-mart dvd section. muwahahahaha
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Portal - The Cake is a Lie!
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2008, 09:52:11 AM »
Portal is now available for the low price of $9.99.  So if you're like me, and not interested in the Orange Box, and too cheap to drop $20 on Portal alone, you no longer have a reason not to pick it up.  I'll be doing so immediately after I get back from my trip next week.

EDIT:  According to some dude in the comments section of Kotaku, this is only a weekend deal and the price will return to the normal $19.99 on Monday.  So don't hesitate if you're interested.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:57:21 AM by vudu »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2008, 02:00:05 PM »
What payment types does Steam accept, anyway?

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »
$10 is a steal; don't miss this chance. Portal is a wonderful game.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2008, 08:57:12 PM »
Too bad it's only through Steam. The worst thing Valve has ever done was invent Steam... the program and service is junk to say the least.

The Orange Box would be great if it didn't already contain games I own. Individual hard copies of Portal, Team Fortress 2, and HL2: Episode 2 for $10 a pop would have been much better.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2008, 09:55:53 PM »
What payment types does Steam accept, anyway?

All major credit cards and PayPal.  Maybe a couple other types, but those for sure.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2008, 02:27:07 AM »
PayPal would work but not for short term deals like that, takes a few days just to get the money "uploaded". Why didn't they make that a permanent price drop? Everyone says 20$ is too much for the game.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2008, 02:44:13 PM »
I just beat the main game (in a single sitting).  Final play time according to Steam was 3.1 hours.  I had a huge smile plastered to my face the entire time.

While it's definitely short, it's still worth $20.  I haven't tried the challenges or the advanced maps yet and I already feel like I didn't pay enough for this game.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2008, 03:03:49 PM »
I just beat the main game (in a single sitting).  Final play time according to Steam was 3.1 hours.  I had a huge smile plastered to my face the entire time.

While it's definitely short, it's still worth $20.  I haven't tried the challenges or the advanced maps yet and I already feel like I didn't pay enough for this game.

Ya I met with the developers and we talked about the cake.

It literally wasn't anything pre-meditated.  They had to change the story from the original Portal story because their school at the time owned the rights to the story.  So they changed it to the experiment idea and then just didn't feel the story was "full" enough so after a long long time of emailing each other ideas they finally stopped with a cake.  Story added :P
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2008, 02:13:30 PM »
I finally started playing this again and beat it last night. For a game with no real "bad guys" it's pretty fucking epic. Hands down one of the best games I've ever played. They should really do a Wii port, especially since it's on XBLA now.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA