Author Topic: Costumes  (Read 16072 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Costumes
« on: October 04, 2007, 12:49:59 PM »
I'm a fan of games that let you choose multiple costumes for the same character as opposed to the extra lame palette swap. For instance, there was no Wario in the last super smash bros, but there was a palette swap which aproximated Mario as wario. In that case it was ok, i would really like to see some characters look radically different with different costume changes.

Link
Twilight Princess Link-default
Ocarina Link - secondary
Ocarina link - purple
Twilight princess link-blue armor
Twilight Princess link-red armor
possible lttp link Brown sleeves different face

Wario
Wario Ware- Default
Wario classic- secondary
plus some more costumes

Young link-if he even appears
Wind waker style-default
majora's mask style secondary
Wind Waker blue surfer

Solid Snake
Grey suit-default
camo suit w/ eye patch secondary (aka BIGBOSS)
Grey Ninja or Raiden as another costume
Big Boss Sean Connery Version
Liquid Snake

Zelda: zeldas a bit more complicated
Ocarina version zelda
ocarina version shiek
tp version zelda
tp style shiek

Ganondorf
Tp version default
WW version
oot version
ghost night version

samas
all different versions of the varia suit.

pokémon trainer
different pokemon trainers

Fox
Fox last smash bros
Fox ds
fox n64

Yoshi and kirby and pikachu
since none of these wear much in the way of clothes, im satisfied with a palette swap

Mario
Mario: Regular
Dr. Mario
Mario red overalls
Hawaian shirt and sunglasses mario

Ike
Ike could have Marth and roy skins

Donkey Kong
Dk-with Tie
Classic Dk no clothes
DK snes mario kart clothed

Peach
Daisy peach palette swap

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Costumes
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 02:01:55 PM »
I can actually see this game having alternate costumes.  The updates have all shown that Sakurai and his team have spent a lot of time with this game and have been going into every little detail.  

Months ago I would have thought the idea of different costumes would never happen but after all these updates, it doesn't seem like it could be a dream anymore.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 03:38:56 PM »
not to mention in the original intro video it had them in their old costumes

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 04:17:33 PM »
Not to be pessimistic but I doubt we will get alternate costumes in Brawl. I agree that it makes sense and is more creative than just color swaps but I don't think they'll be adding it to Brawl.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
RE:Costumes
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 07:15:21 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64
Not to be pessimistic but I doubt we will get alternate costumes in Brawl. I agree that it makes sense and is more creative than just color swaps but I don't think they'll be adding it to Brawl.

ya I don't know, I don't see nintendo doing that stuff very often.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 08:16:06 PM »
Palette swaps suck.  This isn't Mortal Kombat.  Get out of 1993.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 08:30:36 PM »
I hope they have alternate costumes. The Daisy outfit in Melee showed that they're at least technically capable of doing so, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some.  

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 07:59:53 PM »

Originally posted by: LuigiHann
I hope they have alternate costumes. The Daisy outfit in Melee showed that they're at least technically capable of doing so, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some.
The Daisy costume? You mean the palette swap of Peach?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 09:16:50 PM »
Yeah, I can forsee the palette swaps having more minor changes to them, a la Peach-Daisy. I don't think it's the hardest thing in the world to do alternate costumes, but it is programming work, and the kind that the team would probably only do if they had extra time before the release; Brawl, alas, seems to be coming down to the wire. Plus, with as many characters in the game as there'll probably be, there'd be, like 50 costumes. And they'd all have to be differentiated noticeably by color, lest we forget. Twilight and Ocarina Links won't look too different from far away, I'd wager.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 12:17:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Mikintosh
Yeah, I can forsee the palette swaps having more minor changes to them, a la Peach-Daisy. I don't think it's the hardest thing in the world to do alternate costumes, but it is programming work, and the kind that the team would probably only do if they had extra time before the release; Brawl, alas, seems to be coming down to the wire. Plus, with as many characters in the game as there'll probably be, there'd be, like 50 costumes. And they'd all have to be differentiated noticeably by color, lest we forget. Twilight and Ocarina Links won't look too different from far away, I'd wager.

As a programmer, I doubt it would take a whole lot of extra work.  Unless they totally didn't approach it with that kind of functionality in mind.  Even then it would only take some re working.  However, I doubt it is a latter as that isn't good programming practice and it would be considered non-dynamic for sure.  

OR  

I could be full of crap

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 05:21:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Dasmos

Originally posted by: LuigiHann
The Daisy costume? You mean the palette swap of Peach?

Yes and no. I wouldn't expect anyone to notice who isn't a huge nerd (like I am), but Peach's Daisy outfit is slightly more than a palette swap, because it at least features alternate textures and slightly different details on the gloves and such. Also, one of Captain Falcon's color swaps has a different design on his back. So they can at least do that much.  

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 07:50:25 AM »
bah now you made me wish for all variations of Samus suit that won't happen and will make me feel dissapointed.

Light Suit would be so awesome

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 07:59:23 AM »
Trainer names:

Pokemon Trainer
- Red
- Green
- Gold
- Crystal
- Ruby
- Sapphire
- Diamond
- Pearl

Since they aren't named, just called "Pokemon Trainer" the change isn't really important.  Super awesome would be the Pokemon pallet swapped to the appropriate starters for the game they're from.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 02:59:20 PM »
as someones whos done either skinning, or model replacement, i would have to say that its not really that hard at all, outside the swithch between young link and cell young link most character models would be the same shape, and all you would have to do is assign the same "bones" to the model and viola, new costume.

In soul calibur every character has like 4 different costumes, and they're all more than just a palette swap. Some look radically different with extra armor. I suppose if namco can do it..then possibly Sakurai's team can do it.

THe question is if they Will, lets hope.  Also, anyone who says its programming work is wrong...its not, its modeling work. They use high level tools to build character models in games, all the have to do is select the polygons and assign them to a "bone"  

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 03:02:54 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
as someones whos done either skinning, or model replacement, i would have to say that its not really that hard at all, outside the swithch between young link and cell young link most character models would be the same shape, and all you would have to do is assign the same "bones" to the model and viola, new costume.

In soul calibur every character has like 4 different costumes, and they're all more than just a palette swap. Some look radically different with extra armor. I suppose if namco can do it..then possibly Sakurai's team can do it.

THe question is if they Will, lets hope.  Also, anyone who says its programming work is wrong...its not, its modeling work. They use high level tools to build character models in games, all the have to do is select the polygons and assign them to a "bone"

I'm not saying that its hard to do. I'm saying that its one of decisions that Nintendo has avoided for a while now. I agree that the idea makes sense, especially since all characters have had multiple costume changes in the last few years, but for some reason they are against it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 03:27:24 PM »
I still think costumes are a possibility in Brawl due to the (supposed) larger, more talented development team and lack of time restraints. Sakurai has probably at least thought of including different costumes. Not only is it a painfully obvious addition, but he's dabbled with the idea in the previous games.

Nintendo has accommodated Sakurai as much as possible. Everything that's known about Brawl's development points to Sakurai having almost complete free reign over this project so it's probably more up to him than it is Nintendo.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 03:37:40 PM »
also, ganon-captain falcon, math-roy. Those were pretty much costume changes. There were some slight gameplay changes, but if you eliminate the gameplay changes then its just a change in costumes.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 03:40:43 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
I still think costumes are a possibility in Brawl due to the (supposed) larger, more talented development team and lack of time restraints. Sakurai has probably at least thought of including different costumes. Not only is it a painfully obvious addition, but he's dabbled with the idea in the previous games.

Exactly, the Pokemon in Melee prove that they are easily capable of doing it.  Stuff like Pichu's goggles and Jigglypuffs headband show it's not hard for them to add something new to the character models.  Now of course those were smaller things but with Brawl having a much longer development time it wouldn't be that hard for Sakurai and his team to do that on a larger scale with all the characters.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline UERD

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 07:00:32 PM »
I like having elaborate costumes. It would cut down on the chances that crappy obscure characters/character variants make it into the game as unique characters and destroy game balance.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 11:00:23 AM »
Since we are on the subject of costumes on Deviantart I found this gallery that features fan made versions of alternate costumes in Brawl. Some are rather amazing!

You can see it  here.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 12:14:02 PM »
heck they got some i didnt even think of

Bones Bowser
Puppet Zelda
Farmer Link
Oni Link

how about Shroud zelda, princess midna as an alternate

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 12:19:41 PM »
Now Oni link would be cool

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Artisto16

• maybe I shouldn't use giant avatars
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 03:23:38 AM »
Well, that officially confirms it for me. Dixie Kong is Diddy in drag! Dixie would be awesome to have in there.
No me digas!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 06:46:56 AM »
DC Sonic, Classic Sonic.

and also, in the first trailer, we can see that links old costume is there, hopefully it will be selectable.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 11:46:55 AM »