Author Topic: Launch Titles: What must we have.  (Read 20010 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: Launch Titles: What must we have.
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2005, 10:20:50 AM »
Sounds bloated. I don't need it.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2005, 10:31:14 AM »

FFXI is currently 7.5 gigs and grows with every update.
The PS2 and forthcoming Xbox 360 versions, too?  That's insane.  So if you want to play this game you have to dedicate almost half your hard drive?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Launch Titles: What must we have.
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2005, 10:50:28 AM »
Screw FF:XI. Give me WoW on the Revolution.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2005, 10:50:57 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

FFXI is currently 7.5 gigs and grows with every update.
The PS2 and forthcoming Xbox 360 versions, too?  That's insane.  So if you want to play this game you have to dedicate almost half your hard drive?

Yeah, basically.

In a sense, it could be chopped down, as part of the bloat comes from SE's band width strategy.  That being that they wanted the game to function over 56k.  Because of that, they store everything possible locally.

If you are at all interested, look into the model viewer program for the game as well as .dat hacks.  You can do some fun stuff by moving and modifying the dat files (models).  Because they are stored locally only you see the changes.  

Edit: Added the quote so people knew who I was talking to.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2005, 11:04:15 AM »
So even though Xbox 360 won't support 56K, it still has to keep all that junk on its hard drive?  That really sucks.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2005, 11:11:59 AM »
Well I think that comes from porting...

I mean, who would want to code decisions into an already existing game on whether or not it should download stuff from the server.

The good thing about it is because HDs are so oversized for normal games, it probably won't become an issue on the X-Box...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2005, 11:58:15 AM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
hard drives are expensive..however  by  next  winter  even  flash  memory will be  extremely cheap.  128  mb is $19.99 right  now. a  gig could  be  50  by  next year...its  $99
right now.

I got a gig now for only $50 after a $20 dollar rebate.  SD cards are actually not all that expensive, especially in comaprison to some other types of flash memory(Memory Stick :thumbsdown

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2005, 12:34:24 PM »
Several FPS's (Counter-Strike, please Valve).  Attract mainstream gamers, attract the mature, show off how Rev can change gaming.  Simple.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2005, 03:11:34 PM »
We havent seen a true Donkey kong style game in a while.  While DK jungle beat was interesting i want something along the lines of DK country and DK2.
"If you can read these letters, Your waisting your time..."
---------------------------------------

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2005, 03:15:28 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Would you guys pay 50-70 dollars more for the console just for the opportunity to play games like FFXI?
Pale, I'm not sure if you're realized this yet, but you're the only person on this board who has any interest in FFXI.

Personally, I don't really have any desire for a hard drive.  It's just another item with moveable parts that can (and will) break.  Give me flash memory or give me death!

Well i have a xbox and the disc drive started to malfuntion before the hard drive gave away.  Actually my HD hasnt had any problems at all.  Discs are often not read.  I have to push my tray in for it to close, and i have to push the button several times for it to open, but the HD works just like the first day i got it.
"If you can read these letters, Your waisting your time..."
---------------------------------------

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2005, 03:34:13 PM »

Originally posted by: foolish03
We havent seen a true Donkey kong style game in a while.  While DK jungle beat was interesting i want something along the lines of DK country and DK2.

Jungle Beat was 100X better than the DKC games, and I actually like them... =P

And considering Tokyo EAD's desire to make new experiences, Donkey Kong Rev is going to be a hell of a lot closer to Jungle Beat...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2005, 05:02:40 PM »
My dream is for Nintendo to ask Zoonami to put a facelift on Goldeneye and expand the multi-player maps to allow 8-16 online players.

That would be an awesome launch announcement.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2005, 05:35:44 PM »
ZoonamiTON!

As far as MMORPGS, I dunno. I believe that Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection's NWFC for short? selling is point is that its free.  How much is FFXI now per month? Has the price gone up since its U.S debut?

Where are the non-games?

Good question. Every title mentioned so far will appeal to us. But I guess for Nintendo, our love isn't enough.. What about the non-gamer market that doesn't exist yet? If the big N is betting on them for growth, they must have something for them too...

Soooo, any ideas that will sell the Rev to non-gamers at launch?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2005, 05:43:03 PM »

Good question. Every title mentioned so far will appeal to us. But I guess for Nintendo, our love isn't enough.. What about the non-gamer market that doesn't exist yet? If the big N is betting on them for growth, they must have something for them too...

Soooo, any ideas that will sell the Rev to non-gamers at launch?

How much do you want to bet that Miyamoto's new IP is being made with non-gamers in mind?  (Aha, that's like making a bet that the sun will rise in the morning...)

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2005, 06:10:15 PM »
"How much do you want to bet that Miyamoto's new IP is being made with non-gamers in mind?"

Well, Pikmin wasn't really. Neither was Mario, Zelda or Donkey Kong... in fact the only one that comes to mind is Nintendogs. I don't know what sunrises you're watching but usually they're more consistent.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2005, 06:50:26 PM »
Hard Drive: NO, I don't want a HD just because I don't think it would come with the system and I don't want us to be separated by who has how much memory on what system. Even if it is a bundle I'm leaning more toward flash memory anywho. 2-Gigs. Downloads, saves all that good good. I wonder if I'll be able to save Rev. saves on GameCube memory cards?

Back to the launch games: It is so hard for me to think like a non gamer. I don't know what a non-gamer game is. The first thing that comes to mind is Texas Hold 'em. Sure it's fun but I doubt it sells systems. I figured somebody smarter than me on this forum would come up with a great idea. Maybe a detective game thats more like a interactive Tv show. You know, old people love them some Colombo, Matlock and Perry Mason (I cant front I do too).

Oh I got it, the Revolution Killer App is...PilotWings American Landscape. Simply put it's just a giant jigsaw puzzle that as you put it together it takes you on a tour of that part of the country. And when you finish you have just open sky to fly as you please and some such non- gamer game stuff like that. Hell what do I know.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2005, 07:10:32 PM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
Well, Pikmin wasn't really. Neither was Mario, Zelda or Donkey Kong... in fact the only one that comes to mind is Nintendogs. I don't know what sunrises you're watching but usually they're more consistent.

Well I think we can both agree that the main themes behind the GC and the Revolution are quite different, no?  With Miyamoto being the one who's talked about non-gamers the most in the past year, how can you not think he's making a more non-gamer-based game? (Again, a non-gamer game doesn't just have to be fun for non-gamers...Those type of games appeal to both non-gamers and gamers alike)

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2005, 08:03:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Nosferat2

I hope Camelot counters Elder scrools with a good turn based Rpg of their own(without blue haired characters). Give me some knights and wizards.  

I think The New Zelda should be a launch title for the REV. I know we have been waiting for it for the GC but ill forgive if the graphics are pumped up and gameplay is improved on the REV.

Oblivion isn't turn-based, and I can't possible imagine a game that would "counter" it. Certainly not in the first year after launch. It's huge, it's absolutely gorgeous, and it looks set to combine the best elements of D&D and hack-and slash computer RPGs. Toss in the Radiant system, and I think our best hope is that they port it to the Revolution. I can't think of a good reason for them not to, but they haven't announced it for anything but the 360 yet. They might just be waiting for system specs. Anyone know of any relationship between Bethesda and Microsoft that might keep this from happening?

Iwata has quite emphatically confirmed that TP will be on the GC.

Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2005, 09:05:18 PM »
Nintendo really doesn't care about multiplatform games enough to bundle a hard drive in every system.  Heck, MS isn't even doing it for every system, so Nintendo actually trumps them in that regard with 512 flash memory.  No one likes the hidden costs of memory cards.  The Revolution has two USB ports, so a hard drive add-on is certainly possible.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2005, 09:55:36 PM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
"How much do you want to bet that Miyamoto's new IP is being made with non-gamers in mind?"

Mario and CERTAINLY Donkey Kong was. There basically WAS no gaming market to cater to then, they CREATED gamers.

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2005, 10:39:38 PM »

Mario and CERTAINLY Donkey Kong was. There basically WAS no gaming market to cater to then, they CREATED gamers.

No they didn't. The market had just dormant for a while. It had collapsed because of bad games and bad press, so there was certainly still people who liked good games out there.  In America at the time, getting capital for a publisher would have been very difficult, and so it makes sense that the revival came from elsewhere. Anyway, games using that level of technology could hardly be anything but user-friendly, to the point where anyone could pick up and play them.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2005, 10:43:48 PM »
Yeah, Nintendo didn't create the videogame market. They just saved it and gave it direction is all.

But Cailan, I have to disagree about user friendly. TONs of oldschool games used simple control schemes but produced games that were anything BUT user friendly. Old School games make me cry. They whip me into submission. They make me feel like less of a man.

You can have a game with just a joystcik and a button, and still create pieces of trash. Otherwise Atari wouldn't have wrecked the videogame market in the first place.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2005, 10:48:05 PM »
Duck Hunt was so user-friendly.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2005, 10:58:29 PM »
I never said they created the videogame market, I said Donkey Kong and Super Mario Bros created gamers. Which they did, because there was more gamers after their release.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2005, 11:10:44 PM »
I wish they'd make the Rev able to accept external harddrives. But then that might even be doable through the SD interface.