Author Topic: What Do we want from the wii successor  (Read 39156 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
What Do we want from the wii successor
« on: February 15, 2010, 10:53:53 PM »
As a follow from the topic on the next DS system, I thought it would be nice if we could discuss the nest Nintendo home console. Some people speculate that it will arrive in 2011 or slightly later. However, if the new wii was to appear, what would everyone want from based on their experiences of the current generation?

If the price is right, I expect the next system to have high definition graphics. The motion controls, if any, should be upgraded to respond to more motions. Better internet connectivity and a movie and music player would be nice. Also, maybe the machine could emulate Saturn games if they could find an easy way to do it. Oh, and it should be half the size of the wii and about 8 GB  of flash memory for storage.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: What Do we want from the wii successor
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 11:24:36 PM »
Anti-aliasing.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 11:31:52 PM »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 11:41:07 PM »
There is no chance of it being half the size of Wii (considering how small the Wii is), especially if you want the graphics to actually improve.

Off the top of my head (I could think of more if I put more time into it):

Achievements - Easily one of the best features introduced this gen and one of the reasons I always picked the Xbox 360 version of a game. Sony has copied this feature with their Trophy system, but Achievements are much better.

Built in HDD or at least support for them, take a cue from Sony though by letting consumers use their own (not being forced to use propriety ones like Microsoft does).

Expand the Wii Shop Channel to include content like PlayStation Store and Xbox Live Marketplace; meaning stuff like game demos, a central place for add-ons (instead of having to go through the games internal menu, this can provide more advertising and intice them to buy a game if they see a add-on they like), movies/TV shows, etc.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 11:53:22 PM »
1.  A dedicated online service on-par or better than Xbox Live or the PSN, which not only handles online multiplayer but a dedicated online store on par with those two I mentioned (including and especially demos).

2.  A healthy-sized Hard Disk Drive that has room for a respectable amount of titles downloaded from the above service.  60-80 GB at least would be satsifactory.

3.  An achievement-style system of some sort, however Nintendo wants to do it.  I rather enjoy collecting trophies in my PS3 service, and I find them a great incentive to get the most of my gaming experience.

4.  Technical specs at least on-par with the Xbox 360, if not the PS3 (both of whom by that time will probably have progressed to much more advanced specs).  That definitely includes HD compatibility.

5.  No goddamn Friend Codes, or anything like them.

6.  Support for motion controllers and standardized gaming controllers like the Classic Controller and whatnot.

7.  Backwards compatibility with Wii (and preferably GameCube) titles, including the ability to import all your saved data and VC/WiiWare games from your original Wii.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 12:00:08 AM »
There is no chance of it being half the size of Wii (considering how small the Wii is), especially if you want the graphics to actually improve.

Off the top of my head (I could think of more if I put more time into it):

Achievements - Easily one of the best features introduced this gen and one of the reasons I always picked the Xbox 360 version of a game. Sony has copied this feature with their Trophy system, but Achievements are much better.

Built in HDD or at least support for them, take a cue from Sony though by letting consumers use their own (not being forced to use propriety ones like Microsoft does).

Expand the Wii Shop Channel to include content like PlayStation Store and Xbox Live Marketplace; meaning stuff like game demos, a central place for add-ons (instead of having to go through the games internal menu, this can provide more advertising and intice them to buy a game if they see a add-on they like), movies/TV shows, etc.

The switchable hardrives could be like the SD cards. You could change them on the fly as you wish. However, Nintendo will probably screw us on this one.

How about a built in sensor bar. Eh, no more cords or hassle of havinf to place the bar places.

How about external hard drive suport?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:04:52 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 12:06:15 AM »
2.  A healthy-sized Hard Disk Drive that has room for a respectable amount of titles downloaded from the above service.  60-80 GB at least would be satsifactory.

I came in here to request 10-20 GB of solid state memory as opposed to a hard drive.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 12:07:59 AM »
built in sensor bar is a horrible idea.

you gonna place your Wii ontop of your mounted HDTV?
sensor bar is fine the way it is, and if the cord bothers you there are cordless option for you or non-electrical alternatives too.

edit: I also hope Nintendo surprises us with Holograhic storage next gen since they have been researching it heavily for the past 10 years or so.
100+GB of proprietary HoloStorage FTW
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:09:48 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 12:09:37 AM »
Anti-aliasing.

What is that?

Makes less jaggies.

Achievements - Easily one of the best features introduced this gen

Ugh. I vehemently disagree. All it does is give developers an excuse to half-ass a game's replay value and if people complain they can be like "BUT IT'LL TAKE YOU A MILLION HOURS TO GET ALL THE ACHIEVEMENTS!" and give idiots online an excuse to talk down to people because they've unlocked X achievement or hit Y gamerscore. All it is is an ePenis++
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 12:10:24 AM »
I personally don't worry about the next generation of consoles since Nintendo hasn't shown off anything in regards to a new console. I am just going to enjoy the current gen of consoles until Nintendo announces something.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 12:11:02 AM »

I came in here to request 10-20 GB of solid state memory as opposed to a hard drive.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between "solid state memory" and a "hard drive"?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 12:11:54 AM »
I want it to launch in multiple colours, one of which should be pink.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 12:21:11 AM »
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between "solid state memory" and a "hard drive"?

A hard drive uses disks. Solid state is pretty much what it sounds like, essentially a solid piece of circuitry that holds information.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 12:22:05 AM »

solid state is flash memory. No moving parts.
A hard Drive has a spinning disc which is a moving part.

solid state is much more compact but more expensive (sd cards, ipods, iphone)
hard drives hold much more space at cheaper prices (1tb hdd cost about $100)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 12:24:51 AM »
I think the most important thing Nintendo could do is offer the license to a physics engine for developers from day one, one which would allow easy interaction to a 1:1 controller.  I still don't think that "better graphics" are the way of the future very far beyond the Wii.  Truthfully, I feel much of what's in high-end titles is excessive.

So yeah, instead of focusing on graphics, polygons, textures, and stuff like that, I'd hope Nintendo focuses on higher computing power based on phsyics.  A Golf game that literally recreates the true physics of golf can be next.  The same with a tennis game.  Sure, we get a lot of that now with the motion plus, but imagine things growing "more real" in that sense.  The PS3's isn't any better than the Wii with the motion plus, from what I've seen, so I think this would be the direction Nintendo might move in.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 12:25:24 AM »
Mass storage solid state isn't flash. That would be pretty silly, since flash memory gives out after about a million rewrites, which happen constantly when you use a computer.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 12:30:49 AM »
Isn't a hard drive more durable than solid state? I have three ten-year-old hard drives in my computer that all still work just as well as the day they were manufactured. Meanwhile, I know people with cameras, music players, and even Wii systems that have had problems with corrupted memory.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 12:46:22 AM »
Anti-aliasing.

What is that?

Makes less jaggies.

Ugh. I vehemently disagree. All it does is give developers an excuse to half-ass a game's replay value and if people complain they can be like "BUT IT'LL TAKE YOU A MILLION HOURS TO GET ALL THE ACHIEVEMENTS!" and give idiots online an excuse to talk down to people because they've unlocked X achievement or hit Y gamerscore. All it is is an ePenis++

Yeah, I don't think you know what you are talking about. While some games have done a terrible job (like Bomberman Blast having a Achievement of 1 million bombs, something that at the rate of 1 bomb per second would take 13 straight weeks to get. Or Final Fantasy XI requiring you to get a character up to Level 75, something that can take over 100 hours even for an experienced MMO player). If anything, Achievements have given games longer lives with gamers as they will play a game longer than they normally would have.

Do you also bitch about Super Smash Bros. Brawl having a built-in achievement system? Or arcade games 30+ years old having high scores? Achievements are the modern version of high score tables. I don't get people who complain about them. You don't like them? Fine. But stop claiming they are a bad thing. They are a good thing and I am glad Sony and Microsoft make them mandatory.

Mop, flash memory is more durable. This isn't really a big deal for consoles though, it's really more for portable systems since it prevents stuff like skipping. There is also the problem that flash memory is more expensive (i.e. 32 GB of solid state memory is cheaper than 32 GB of flash memory).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 12:48:38 AM »
Mass storage solid state isn't flash. That would be pretty silly, since flash memory gives out after about a million rewrites, which happen constantly when you use a computer.
well what I meant was that Solid state is like a flash card (SD card) in that it doesn't have any moving parts vs a HDD that has a spinning magnetic disc.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 12:51:32 AM »
I've phsyically BENT flash memory before and had it still work.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 01:03:03 AM »
Anti-aliasing.

What is that?

Makes less jaggies.

Yeah, I don't think you know what you are talking about. While some games have done a terrible job (like Bomberman Blast having a Achievement of 1 million bombs, something that at the rate of 1 bomb per second would take 13 straight weeks to get. Or Final Fantasy XI requiring you to get a character up to Level 75, something that can take over 100 hours even for an experienced MMO player). If anything, Achievements have given games longer lives with gamers as they will play a game longer than they normally would have.

Do you also bitch about Super Smash Bros. Brawl having a built-in achievement system? Or arcade games 30+ years old having high scores? Achievements are the modern version of high score tables. I don't get people who complain about them. You don't like them? Fine. But stop claiming they are a bad thing. They are a good thing and I am glad Sony and Microsoft make them mandatory.

Mop, flash memory is more durable. This isn't really a big deal for consoles though, it's really more for portable systems since it prevents stuff like skipping. There is also the problem that flash memory is more expensive (i.e. 32 GB of solid state memory is cheaper than 32 GB of flash memory).

Wow, I've hated the things that make you complete modes in Brawl with all the characters.  It's fine when each target test table is unique, and players only have one, but doing the same target test 20+ times, just with different characters is annoying.  The same with beating every "classic-like" mode with every character.  It's just unnecessary.  It adds time to the game, yes, but with a game like Brawl, I'd rather spend the time elsewhere.  I still need about five stickers and five trophies, and I've spent hours in the coin launcher.  Unless I fight a boss battle over and over again, there's no quicker way, and it's just a grind.  I'd rather see rarer stickers pop up in vs. fights, as well as trophies.  It's annoying otherwise.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 01:09:05 AM »
Mop, flash memory is more durable.
Can you explain in what ways? In my experience, it is much more prone to corruption than a hard drive.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 01:18:19 AM »
The only thing I'd really want is a 2D Mario game with a level editor. It could be done on the Wii, but since it won't, I'd want it any way I could get it.

But if we're strictly talking hardware, I'd like Nintendo to go less peripheral crazy. I've always been a proponent of ditching the classic controller in favor of a single controller.

Rechargeable batteries in the controller. Wireless sensor bar.

Connectivity with DS2, specifically sharing VC games between systems.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 01:25:56 AM »
Mop, flash memory is more durable.
Can you explain in what ways? In my experience, it is much more prone to corruption than a hard drive.
Like BlackNMild2k1 explained, a hard drive is a spinning magnetic disk.  Moving parts tend to fail, over time.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 01:55:17 AM »
A 2d Mario level editor built into every system? With the ability to download, upload, and vote for the best ones.

Game. Set. Match.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 01:59:56 AM »
Nintendo would be more inclined to include flash memory into their next system due to the fact that HDD has moving parts that will eventually break down or may be faulty from the start. However, the cost of flash memory may be a huge factor for Nintendo. I paid $5 for a 1 GB USB flash drive at Kmart. I have seen a 4GB for about $10-15 and an 8 and 16 GB for $25 and 35. I also saw a 32 GB for $65. Within two to three years, the prices for these devices will drop like a stone. 

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 02:01:22 AM »
A 2d Mario level editor built into every system? With the ability to download, upload, and vote for the best ones.

Game. Set. Match.

This is why we like homebrew :)  One's almost done, though it's not built in, and may use the pretty simple "Riivolution" to load the new stages.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 02:02:16 AM »
Nintendo would be more inclined to include flash memory into their next system due to the fact that HDD has moving parts that will eventually break down or may be faulty from the start. However, the cost of flash memory may be a huge factor for Nintendo. I paid $5 for a 1 GB USB flash drive at Kmart. I have seen a 4GB for about $10-15 and an 8 and 16 GB for $25 and 35. I also saw a 32 GB for $65. Within two to three years, the prices for these devices will drop like a stone. 
I also hope Nintendo surprises us with Holograhic storage next gen since they have been researching it heavily for the past 10 years or so.
100+GB of proprietary HoloStorage FTW

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 02:10:39 AM »
Why does flash memory cost so much more than HDD? I mean flash memory devices are smaller and more compact than the bigger hard drive.

This is a little off topic, but I can not help but ask. I have a 80 GB HDD and I want to convert it into an external hard drive. On the back of the HDD it says ATA. Supposedly this is the connection for the device. However, the enclosure that I am interested in buying is called SATA. Would my hard drive be compatible with this enclosure?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 02:20:32 AM »
Flash memory is more expensive for a few reason.
1 being that it is a much newer technology. HDD's have been around as long as PC's.
2 being form factor. Flash cards are much much smaller than your average harddrive.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 02:21:58 AM »
Flash memory is more expensive for a few reason.
1 being that it is a much newer technology. HDD's have been around as long as PC's.
2 being form factor. Flash cards are much much smaller than your average harddrive.

About the size of a postage stamp or quarter.  I had a 16 MB SD card and that is not even big enough to hold one song that is on my 8 GB SD card for my DSi.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:24:18 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 02:23:00 AM »
But enough about your wii
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 02:46:13 AM »
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 03:36:25 AM »
LAN
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 03:39:07 AM »
The new system should have a built in version of Mario Paint.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
is your sanity...

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 06:43:02 AM »
Why does flash memory cost so much more than HDD? I mean flash memory devices are smaller and more compact than the bigger hard drive.

This is a little off topic, but I can not help but ask. I have a 80 GB HDD and I want to convert it into an external hard drive. On the back of the HDD it says ATA. Supposedly this is the connection for the device. However, the enclosure that I am interested in buying is called SATA. Would my hard drive be compatible with this enclosure?

i had to double check this, just wanted to make sure, but the answer is no. ata is the old format, and while sata is an upgrade to ata, they are not compatible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata#Backward_and_forward_compatibility

not just from a compatibility point of view, the cables are different in size and shape.

a quick search of newegg (ata usb) found a few options, some that were even sata and ata compatible (meaning you may want to check to see if yours is too)

off topic, but i hope that helps.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
My one demand:

Good games that actually make use of the controller instead of falling back to using buttons.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 10:39:40 AM »
My one demand:

Good games that actually make use of the controller instead of falling back to using buttons.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2010, 11:46:50 AM »
Anti-aliasing.

What is that?

Something the GameCube had.

And the Wii doesn't?

Can someone explain this? Was that kind of tech really in the Gamecube and not in the Wii? Is that why I think many Wii games look worse than Gamecube games?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2010, 12:44:56 PM »
If anything, Achievements have given games longer lives with gamers as they will play a game longer than they normally would have.

Which is artificial inflation of gameplay time, and is exactly my point. If you need achievements to add replay value, then you screwed up making the original game. Want people to play your game longer? Add more content. Achievements are meaningless nothings that people slobber all over as if they were exchangeable for gold. It's like grinding in MMOs only instead of gaining levels or equipment, you get absolutely nothing.

You should be playing the game because you want to play the game, not because you want to unlock a completely pointless pop-up on your screen.

Do you also bitch about Super Smash Bros. Brawl having a built-in achievement system?

I assume you're talking about the trophies and the stickers? Yeah, they were pretty stupid. Most of it wasn't even unlockable by playing vs. and there was literally NO OTHER REASON to ever go back through the Subspace Emissary, because it was such a boring pile of fail in the first place.

Or arcade games 30+ years old having high scores?

Yeah, that was acceptable when literally the only reason to play the game was to get as far as you could. That's not the case with modern games. If you want high scores, play Donkey Kong. Personally I believe the artform has moved beyond "zomg I have to be number one," and into territory where games actually present satisfaction in the actual playing of them, rather than the end result.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2010, 01:18:07 PM »
Maybe I should list what I liked about the Wii design in the first place.  That would make for a shorter post.

- hardware capabilities comparable to the competition
- support for current home theatre setups - HDMI, Dolby Digital, etc.
- no friend codes
- rechargable wireless controllers like the PS3.  No batteries, you just plug the thing in the system to recharge.
- the ability to map buttons on a console level.  So I can decide that B=A for ANY game whether or not the game itself supports it.  I want this for ALL consoles.  Seems like such a no-brainer idea.
- I'd like that suspend save that VC games have to be a system wide feature.  We're busy people.  I should be able to quick save ANY game.  Just make it like a save state that deletes itself when I load up my save to continue playing.  It's just an extended pause.
- a low price that is actually a low price.  Being forced to pay for a bundled game is not a deal.  Severely compromised hardware sold with a significant mark-up is NOT A DEAL.
- a more balanced marketing campaign.  The Wii is marketted too much as a casual machine.  "Everyone" does not mean casuals.  Everyone means EVERYONE so that means you have to try to market it to core gamers too.
- a controller that is designed for functionality and practicality, not for marketing purposes.  Hell if Nintendo just threw motion control out entirely I'd be thrilled but that's not realistic.  Packing in the classic controller and emphasizing the Wii2 as being about providing options and using the best control option for each game would be better than the current "motion control is ALWAYS the best" routine.  Make great games with great controls, don't try to FORCE some misguided idealogy on us.
- a design philosophy where one uses the best solution, whether that means coming up with something new or going with the tried-and-true, even if the competition came up with that idea first, based on the situtation.  Insisting on doing everything different is stupid.  Seek to improve, not to change.

Stuff to keep:
- typically Nintendo durability
- VC (and you keep your purchases from the first Wii)
- pack-in game (if it doesn't raise the console price)
- backwards compatibility with the Wii and Gamecube.

And solve the damn third party problem.  I think a Wii more like I describe above will help.  But I don't know for sure.  This is the end result that I absolutely DEMAND if they expect to keep my business next gen.  I don't know the solution but this is the end result I want.  The situation is unacceptable and Nintendo has to do SOMETHING to address it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 03:09:04 PM »
I'm just gonna throw a bunch of stuff out there.

One thing I would like(if Nintendo sticks with system codes) is a User Accounts option like Windows log in. That way if I'm using the console only my contacts show up, but if say my girl is using the Wii then only her contacts show up. that way no one is reading anyone else's messages or contacting someone else's friends. This also eliminates the need for friend codes on a game by game basis.

I also hope for a Free, but fully featured XBox Live rip off done in Nintendo stylings. I've never used XBL, but I hear it's about as good as your gonna find, so I definitely want Nintendo to copy the best things about Live and throw in a few things they might not have thought of. Better matchmaking, just knowing what your friends are playing while they're playing it and inviting friends to play when you see them on would be a big help in community building.

I have no issue with Awards (achievements/trophies) since they are an OPTIONAL task that any gamer can chase for a score that shows how dedicated they are to playing any and everything to completion. If you don't like Awards, don't chase them. But I could also see Nintendo tying Awards to post play My Nintendo Points.
"You've only received 4/10 Awards, you only get 20/50 My Nintendo Points for this game."

Ofcourse that only works with games you have registered, so that brings me to my next point.

Registration of 3rd party games and awarding of My Nintendo Points to go with them.
Nintendo profits off of every 3rd party game sold, so there is no reason to not be able to register them. They may not give as many points as a Nintendo produced game (3rd party game = 30pts / Nintendo game = 50pts), but it would still be incentive to support the 3rd parties and 3rd parties apparently need all the help they can get.

Also better prizes in My Nintendo. I know this has nothing to do with the Next Wii itself, but I'm hoping that the 2 will happen around the same time. New Wii, better prizes.

Motion Camera with Sensor bar attached. A motion camera on par if not better then EyeToy for increased motion tracking capabilities. No more disorientation of the M+ either.

Wiimote+. Wiimote with motion plus built in. Also a rechargeable battery pack wouldn't be a bad idea. if it got anywhere near 14-20hrs fully charged playtime, then it would be well worth it.

If the Vitality sensor is a hit, then I hope they find a way to integrate it into the controller. maybe turning the B trigger in to the sensor since that is the only button on the wiimote that would be comfortable to put a pointer finger in no matter how you hold the remote. The "Vitality Trigger" would have to be some sort of swivel finger encasing button though.

1080p graphics is already a given, and 3D capabilities out of the box with out a hit on performance just incase the concept ever takes off. Supposedly the GC and Wii already support it.

It should be able to play multimedia without hassle. DVD, MP3, whatever. media streaming out of the box would be great too. Or just encourage homebrewers to release their wares onto the WiiShop under an "Apps" section.
Nintendo too cheap to pay for DVD licensing? okay, put it in a DVD app that covers the DVD licensing cost. But lets just make it hassle free.

Built in storage. I don't care if it's a HDD (standardized and swappable), solid state or some of that holographic stuff they been working on, but make it happen. No less than 100GB to allow for all those new VC (GC - NES)/ WiiWare (upto 1GB) downloads.

Increased WiiWare game sizes. 40MB is too small & Developers are feeling restricted. Bump up the limit to at least 256MB but no more than 1GB.

Demos. 500MB - 1GB demo downloads. that shouldn't take no more than 30minutes to an hour on a decent connection and should be able to download in the background.

Background downloading and multitasking in general.
I should be able to download a WiiWare game from the WiiShop after reading a review on NWR through the Internet channel, but not exit the internet channel to check a message I just got that is making my disc drive glow.

Increased marketing support for everyone.
Something that incentivizes (is that a word) a 3rd party to actually advertise their own game. Like re-airing all Wii2/DS2 game ads on the Nintendo channel supporting original Nintendo Channel programming with Hulu like ad breaks.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 03:20:25 PM »
World peace and a consensus on the definition of "Archosauria" would also be nice.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 03:27:27 PM »
Was I asking for too much :P

I certainly don't expect all of that, but it would be nice if Nintendo was working towards some if not most or all of it.

I had more random "perfect world" additions, but I lost my train of thought due to some issues immediately surrounding me. Wish I could remember what they were.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »
I have no issue with Awards (achievements/trophies) since they are an OPTIONAL task that any gamer can chase for a score that shows how dedicated they are to playing any and everything to completion. If you don't like Awards, don't chase them. But I could also see Nintendo tying Awards to post play My Nintendo Points.
"You've only received 4/10 Awards, you only get 20/50 My Nintendo Points for this game."

Ofcourse that only works with games you have registered, so that brings me to my next point.

This is a really good idea

Registration of 3rd party games and awarding of My Nintendo Points to go with them.
Nintendo profits off of every 3rd party game sold, so there is no reason to not be able to register them. They may not give as many points as a Nintendo produced game (3rd party game = 30pts / Nintendo game = 50pts), but it would still be incentive to support the 3rd parties and 3rd parties apparently need all the help they can get.

They already do this in Japan, don't know why they don't outside of Japan.

Also better prizes in My Nintendo. I know this has nothing to do with the Next Wii itself, but I'm hoping that the 2 will happen around the same time. New Wii, better prizes.

Same as above. Japan has great prizes like the Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack and that Tingle's Balloon Trip  game for DS.

Nintendo too cheap to pay for DVD licensing? okay, put it in a DVD app that covers the DVD licensing cost. But lets just make it hassle free.

Since the system won't come out until at least 2012, I think it would be more wise to put Blu-ray Disc support in (although Nintendo might not want to since Sony would profit off of that).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 04:52:37 PM »
Blu-ray doesn't have as high of an adoption rate as Sony may want to lead us to believe.
DVD will remain dominant for many more years.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »
DVD/Blu Ray playback would be nice, but it's definitely not a necessity. It would certainly make things easier for me. I don't actually own a dedicated DVD player. Yeah, I know I could get one for like $30, but why do that when I already have a PS3?

Anyway, fix voice chat. Wii Speak is f-ing lamezorz.
Anti-aliasing.
What is that?
Dude, seriously... Anti-aliasing

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2010, 05:46:15 PM »
yes. that was on of my forgotten points.

WiiSpeak. GroupSpeak. Speakerphone sounds good on paper, but was very poorly executed on the Wii.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2010, 06:14:35 PM »
I think some of the problems with Wii Speak stem from the small amount of data that the Wii is capable of transferring over the Internet than it does the actual accessory. Since games with more action, like The Conduit, have much worse quality than a laid-back game like Animal Crossing, it seems like a possibility. Wii Speak could be somewhat fixed with more powerful hardware.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2010, 06:25:08 PM »
Then they need to design the next console with such add-ons in mind. some processing bandwidth that is always set aside for just such a thing(and built into the OS) so that games don't have to be compromised when adding things in.

that was another forgotten idea. An Umbrella OS that runs the entire system in the background. If you have WiiSpeak as part of the OS, then it operates independent of the game and you can set up lobbies outside of games and carry on your conversation even when changing games. or if they add support for a new peripheral, you can patch it into whatever games that use the OS and not have to program the game to use it specifically. This would also work with the idea that was posted earlier about controller customization. I can set up my controller how ever I want and it would carry into whatever game I want since the game would access my controller set-up through the OS settings. We wouldn't have the problem about games only recognizing regular SD cards and not SDHC cards if such an OS was in place.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:27:37 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2010, 06:58:59 PM »

meat
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2010, 08:45:28 PM »
Wireless classic controller at launch

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2010, 09:03:22 PM »
I would like the Wii 2 to dispense crack in a timely fashion.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:08:52 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 09:10:38 PM »
with a pointer window in the front so you don't even have to switch back to the Wiimote if you don't want to. Completely independent controller with rumble, but no tilt or motion of any kind.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2010, 09:19:47 PM »

No, Classic controller pro at launch.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2010, 12:25:42 AM »
Agree with most points but I would love them to ditch WII Speak and just go with the more common headset gear.  Also drop the remote speaker--hate that--because I use headphones and miss whatever clues they give.

Also dual remotes with no cords between them. 

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2010, 12:26:46 AM »
I have an idea that would be cool for the next Wii.... more second parties.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2010, 12:30:42 AM »
Aww, I like the speaker though few games really use it effectively or at all. I would like them to improve the quality of the speaker if anything.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010, 12:32:19 AM »
Agree with most points but I would love them to ditch WII Speak and just go with the more common headset gear.  Also drop the remote speaker--hate that--because I use headphones and miss whatever clues they give.

Also dual remotes with no cords between them. 

if you use headsets for every player then there would be no need for speakers on the remote. Some Bluetooth headsets or earpieces with mics (like a cellphone earpiece) would be great. I'm not sure if I mentioned that earlier or not.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2010, 12:38:13 AM »
Well, that's assuming you wear the headset every time you play any game. I'm not putting on a bluetooth headset to play Zelda. Headsets are for chat, the speaker serves a different purpose entirely.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2010, 12:38:43 AM »
How hard would it be for Nintendo to release a movie player via firmware for the wii? That way it can play DVD moivies. I guess they figure that since we probably own so many things that play DVDs already that they do not want to put up the money to make it happen. However, even simple DVD players are very cheap now a days. Second, I do not see Nintendo having a blue ray player in any of their future consoles because it is carried by a competitor. I do see them eventually using high definition once the price drops considerably.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2010, 12:46:04 AM »
The is a very real chance that Nintendo could be debuting (some form of) HVD to the consumer world. But I doubt that would happen unless the players are very cheap and use lots of existing parts, like red lasers.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2010, 12:52:22 AM »
What is HVD?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2010, 01:16:46 AM »
So would this HVD be very exspensive? How would Nintendo utilize it as a storage medium?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2010, 01:24:31 AM »
A disc(usually containing a game) that you put in a disc drive. 
Or a stationary version of it that you can use like a HDD.

did I mention that it has a lot of space on it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2010, 01:31:37 AM »
With Netflix soon appearing on the Wii, having DVD playback now seems even more pointless.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2010, 01:33:31 AM »
Could it be used as a solid stae-like chip inside the wii?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2010, 01:34:44 AM »
With Netflix soon appearing on the Wii, having DVD playback now seems even more pointless.

Well, I want to be able to play my own movies on my wii.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2010, 01:36:58 AM »

Except nowhere near every movie on DVD is on streaming.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2010, 01:42:39 AM »
Why not just buy a DVD player? They're $25-30 and would probably be of better quality than any Wii type of player.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2010, 01:44:29 AM »
For some reason I just want my wii to be center of my multimedia devices, is that strange?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2010, 01:46:16 AM »
Yes. And possibly ironic. That's the last thing that the Wii was intended to be.

Are you sure you don't want an XBox 360? It sounds right up your alley.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2010, 01:51:51 AM »
I hate the xbox systems passionatly. Back in the fall of 2008, back when the PS3 was $500 dollars and the only good games were GTA 4 and a few others, I decided to buy a wii because of its cheaper price, mainly games like Brawl and No More Heroes, I already had a DS system since 2004 and I was curious about the motion controls. Ironically, all the money that I have invested into my wii I could have waited and bought the PS3 and a plaethora of games for a cheap price. However, due to financial reasons I can not afford a PS3 or the games right now. I do not regret buying the wii, I just wished that I had been a little more long term in what I spent my money on.

P.S. If i had an xbox, I would just use it for a paper weight or door stop.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2010, 01:52:17 AM »
Why not just buy a DVD player? They're $25-30 and would probably be of better quality than any Wii type of player.
Not everyone has a bunch of open connections on the back of their TV and it's easier to just have one device that already takes DVD's hooked up to TV that actually play DVD movies too. It's a convenience thing and possibly a space issue.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2010, 01:54:47 AM »
Not everyone has a bunch of open connections on the back of their TV and it's easier to just have one device that already takes DVD's hooked up to TV that actually play DVD movies too. It's a convenience thing and possibly a space issue.

I can not stand a bunch of cords tangled up behind my table. I totally agree with this staement.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2010, 02:06:56 AM »
Eh, I guess I just don't get it, then. I'd rather have dedicated devices as they are generally of better quality and durability, and my television has plenty of inputs.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2010, 02:10:23 AM »
You are just thinking about your situation that's why.

do you have a DVD player hooked up to every tv in your house?
if you could move a cheap DVD player off your main TV and put it in the other room and just use the Wii as your DVD player on the main TV or bedroom TV or whatever TV it's hooked up to, wouldn't you?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2010, 02:16:16 AM »
Probably not.
I guess it's hard to say. I have just one television. And I don't have a DVD player.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2010, 02:21:24 AM »
Well, if the Wii could play DVD's, then you would have a DVD player on your main (& only) TV. Then you could get extra excited about Netflix coming to the Wii since you would be able to stream and receive DVD's.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2010, 02:28:03 AM »
I think my PC can play DVDs. It has a drive with the DVD logo on it, but I haven't gotten around to testing it. Come to think of it, I believe it also has an S-video out that I could connect to my television. If I really wanted it, I could use my PC as my DVD player and movie streamer.

I guess not everyone has alternatives, though.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2010, 02:32:08 AM »
Also most people don't have their PC next to their TV or want to go through the trouble of getting the cables to hook the TV up to the computer. Obviously you didn't either or it would have already been done.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2010, 10:06:14 AM »
It'll never happen but it'd be sweet if the next Wii had a dedicated channel for Hulu in addition to Netflix.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2010, 12:39:08 PM »
1.  A COMPETENT ONLINE STRUCTURE
2.  Anti-Aliasing would be good.
3.  Good shader model support. Something that killed the Wii's graphics this gen.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2010, 02:40:18 PM »

Not even close. First, Netflix doesn't have every DVD released. Second, only about 10% of DVD's on Netflix are available for streaming.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »
Videos on my Wii's Nintendo Channel keep stopping because of the buffer running out. I couldn't stand to watch a 2 hour movie that keeps cutting out like that. I have broadband internet via wifi and I guess it could be faster than it is, but it shouldn't be cutting out liek that. My point is I don't know if Netflix will work good for me, so I don't think I'll be using it.

But on the other hand, I won't use my Wii for a Dvd player either. The reason is because I can get a new DVD player for $20, but a new Wii costs 10 times as much. I absolutely refuse to wear my Wii out unnecessarily. Disc drives involve moving parts, and its a fact they will wear out and break if you use them long enough. The Wii is made for games, and that's what I'm using it for. I don't care if it had the ability to play DVDs or not, because I refuse to use that feature. You guys can if you want, but like I said, why bother? DVD players are cheap enough so just get one if you need one. Don't waste your Wii!
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »

The lack of any real effort for anti-aliasing has really[/b] bothered me as of late. It was quite annoying in The Darkside Chronicles, and made Super Mario Galaxy almost unbearable. There have been a few other recent (for me) examples as well. I have to wonder however, why it never really occurred to me prior to the last few months.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2010, 06:40:02 PM »

The lack of any real effort for anti-aliasing has really[/b] bothered me as of late. It was quite annoying in The Darkside Chronicles, and made Super Mario Galaxy almost unbearable. There have been a few other recent (for me) examples as well. I have to wonder however, why it never really occurred to me prior to the last few months.

The non-standard shader model pretty much ruined all the ports graphics we got too.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2010, 11:44:10 PM »

The non-standard shader model pretty much ruined all the ports graphics we got too.

Yeah, this is one of the reasons that the Tegra rumors for the DS2 are so interesting.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2010, 11:59:52 PM »
Did someone mention forward compatibility for Wii downloads that can be accomplished without me crating up the two systems and shipping them to NOA?

Because that's at the top of my priority list. I've bought a second Wii's worth of WiiWare/VC stuff and if it can't be transferred I'm quitting console gaming.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2010, 12:38:16 AM »
Oh man, the Second Wii had BETTER accept my VC and WiiWare library. I think I've spent more on Downloadable games than on my Wii Hardware.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2010, 01:06:34 AM »
From what I remember I think the Cube could do AA but not full-screen. The Wii should be capable of this as well, especially considering the larger memory. I don't understand why devs aren't doing this though. Well, Dewy's Adventure supported AA.

As long as Wii2 is more in line with the capabilities of the other systems I'll be happy. Rather short-sighted but I don't feel like being innovative tonight.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2010, 10:12:12 AM »
I'm so lame.

My first thought was "Dang!  I hope they make the speaker on the controller better, and use it more often during games."  Even though I really like the subtle immersion it offers, the other suggestions in this thread are OBVIOUSLY much better.

From what I've read, the biggest things I'm interested in seeing are more solid-state onboard memory (which I prefer to hard drives) and backwards compatibility with disc-based and digital games from this generation.

Sadly, I'm betting that Nintendo won't have a way to carry Virtual Console and WiiWare games forward though.  They didn't structure the existing service in a way that makes it easy to do that... and it's probably not worth the cost to them to change now.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Finally, a comment regarding DVD playback.  I can understand why people want an "all in one" device, but can also understand people who want a gaming system to be dedicated to one purpose.  However, it would be nice if Nintendo gave people the option to decide how they wanted it to be used instead of limiting our choices.  Selling a DVD channel so only people who want the feature need to pay for the appropriate licensing fees would be great... but I'm not sure if that's possible.
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2010, 12:02:45 PM »
The Wii is a firmware update and a channel away from allow DVD playback.
or a hack and a DVD program, either way it can play DVD's without much effort.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2010, 12:57:59 PM »
The Wii is a firmware update and a channel away from allow DVD playback.
or a hack and a DVD program, either way it can play DVD's without much effort.

Nnitendo might release this update once the netflix service comes out. It makes sense that if they are going to allow their machine to become a movie player via Netflix, then it would seem logical to allow a DVD service on the console as well. However, this may cut into Netflix allowing movies on the system and Nintendo may not allow that to happen.

Also, how could Nintendo make the wii play DVDs via firmware? I do not understand how that could happen?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2010, 01:07:37 PM »
The Disc drive for the Wii is a DVD player.
All the Wii is lacking is a DVD movie codec that lets you play standard DVD movies.
You can already get DVD playback through the HomeBrew channel if you want it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2010, 01:30:28 PM »
It might be difficult for Nintendo to have the VC stuff moved over to the new console, but what they could do that should be real easy is offer a credit to those who bought the VC stuff. If you can show Nintendo you bought $50 worth of stuff on your old Wii, then they can give you a credit for $50 of stuff you can download on your Wii 2. This way you CAN get your old purchases back if you want, but this would actually be better because you could get games you might rather have instead.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2010, 01:59:27 PM »
^not gonna happen.
At best they will unlock the games from your old Wii and tie them an online account so you can re-download/transfer them (hopefully works with saves too)
or
Give you download codes that only work on your registered Wii2 that's tied to your Nintendo Account so that you can re-download your games.

Another approach would be a VC/Saves Transfer channel on the Wii2 where you link your Wii/Wii2 together with a USB cable and it will handle the(one-time) transfer for you.
Wii2 will probably be required to be connected online at the time of transfer and all content from old Wii will be moved(not copied) permanently to the new Wii2.

But Nintendo will never just give everyone 100's of $$$ to compensate for what you already bought so that you can go buy all new stuff for free.

If Nintendo is smart, everything relating to Wii2/DS2 online will be linked to your MyNintendo account. That will keep track of titles owned, registered and played. Awards earned, games beat, coins earned from earning awards and beating games. Online activity, friends list, Wii2/DS2 usage, etc. etc..

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2010, 03:20:12 PM »
I hate the xbox systems passionatly.

Do elaborate.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2010, 04:38:56 PM »
It might be difficult for Nintendo to have the VC stuff moved over to the new console, but what they could do that should be real easy is offer a credit to those who bought the VC stuff. If you can show Nintendo you bought $50 worth of stuff on your old Wii, then they can give you a credit for $50 of stuff you can download on your Wii 2. This way you CAN get your old purchases back if you want, but this would actually be better because you could get games you might rather have instead.
/face palm
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2010, 04:40:45 PM »
Chozo, your VC games are linked to your Wii Shop Channel account. All they have to do is allow you to re-download on your new system like they currently do when you get a new Wii.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2010, 05:10:38 PM »
^not gonna happen.
At best they will unlock the games from your old Wii and tie them an online account so you can re-download/transfer them (hopefully works with saves too)
or
Give you download codes that only work on your registered Wii2 that's tied to your Nintendo Account so that you can re-download your games.

Another approach would be a VC/Saves Transfer channel on the Wii2 where you link your Wii/Wii2 together with a USB cable and it will handle the(one-time) transfer for you.
Wii2 will probably be required to be connected online at the time of transfer and all content from old Wii will be moved(not copied) permanently to the new Wii2.

But Nintendo will never just give everyone 100's of $$$ to compensate for what you already bought so that you can go buy all new stuff for free.

If Nintendo is smart, everything relating to Wii2/DS2 online will be linked to your MyNintendo account. That will keep track of titles owned, registered and played. Awards earned, games beat, coins earned from earning awards and beating games. Online activity, friends list, Wii2/DS2 usage, etc. etc..

Perhaps Nnitendo could provide your my Nintendo account with a four digit account number that once you got your wii 2, you just punch in the code and transfer it over via a USB cable or wireless transfer.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2010, 05:15:37 PM »
The easiest thing to do would be to force people to link their Wii system--and VC purchased--to their Club Nintendo account and then once they register their Wii 2 allow them to download the games onto their new system.  The only issue would be how--not if, HOW--Nintendo world force people to delete the games from their original Wii system.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2010, 05:19:38 PM »
The easiest thing to do would be to force people to link their Wii system--and VC purchased--to their Club Nintendo account and then once they register their Wii 2 allow them to download the games onto their new system.  The only issue would be how--not if, HOW--Nintendo world force people to delete the games from their original Wii system.

If they were to set up such a system, my guess is that they'd have to upload a trigger that resets the person's Wii to its original factory specs (a feature the Wii already has, though it has to be manually set) during the transfer.  They then dis-associate the Wii from your Club Nintendo account so you can't redownload the games to that Wii.

The only catch there is that that process is filled with all sorts of nasty stuff that could happen: games and saves lost in the process which can't be reclaimed.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2010, 05:27:26 PM »
I hate the xbox systems passionatly.

Do elaborate.

After nearly five years, Microsoft has still not done anything to make the RROD go away. I do not trust an Xbox system because of the RROD. Second, I do not like that Microsoft now owns Rare and its IPs. Although I like games like Gears of War, Mass Effect, Halo and Fable, the controlller just does not feel right in my hands. It's too big and bulky and the buttons are too small to press. I do not like how Microsoft charges its customers for its online service when its competitors offer it for free. The design of th 360 looks poor, I do not like its extendable disc tray because it is prone to jamming and the last generation console had the same thing. Last, Microsoft forces its customers to use their hard drives, while wii can use any SD card and the PS3 allows its hard drive to be interchangable. I rest my case.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2010, 05:36:05 PM »
What do I want from the next wii system? How about the return of ROB the robot. The device could hook into the USB port for power and what not. Maybe ROB should return for the currentwii system.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2010, 05:44:51 PM »
What's wrong with having games on your Wii and Wii 2 in tandem? Would it really be that bad in Nintendo's eyes? What if the DS2 allows you to transfer VC games from the Wii/Wii2 or better yet download VC games from you online account straight to your DS2? Would they make you delete them off your console first or once the transfer is done? I don't think so.

So if there is an online account that registers systems, I don't think Nintendo would mind too much if you have multiple systems with the same games on them. They'll just enforce a "one of each only" policy and that'll be that. Some people may get around it by registering a DS2 that's not theirs or something, but the majority will find it useful for themselves only.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 05:48:43 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2010, 05:50:33 PM »
What's wrong with having games on your Wii and Wii 2 in tandem? Would it really be that bad in Nintendo's eyes? What if the DS2 allows you to transfer VC games from the Wii/Wii2 or better yet download VC games from you online account straight to your DS2? Would they make you delete them off your console first or once the transfer is done? I don't think so.

So if there is an online account that registers systems, I don't think Nintendo would mind too much if you have multiple systems with the same games on them. They'll just enforce a "one of each only" policy and that'll be that. Some people may get around it by registering a DS2 that's not theirs or something, but the majority will find it useful for themselves only.

Nintendo would likely be deathly afraid of people having two copies of each downloadable game (just as they apparently are now with people owning multiple Wiis), and then they sell off their Wii with their old games still on it.  That's money that Nintendo potentially lost in download sales from whoever buys that used Wii.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2010, 05:56:55 PM »
Well that's pretty simple to get around for Nintendo and make it harder than your average bear to crack.

Firstly, they can set an expiration date on games. So let's say you have a Wii and sold it with a bunch of games on it. Those games will disappear in 30 days.

Secondly, you verify the games online through your account anytime you want to push the expiration date back. This will most likely happen automatically anytime you are connected to a network and have once before connected to your account.

And thirdly, if you are actively connected to an online account and the automatic verification finds that you own a game that is not on your account, it could then delete it.

Easy

kinda.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2010, 06:06:32 PM »
Which is also why I suggested it would be moved and not copied to the new Wii and if you could transfer stuff to the DS2, then your DS2 will probably have to be linked to your Wii2 and therefore it only accepts VC transfers from that Wii.

That's also why I suggested that everything be connected to your MyNintendo account and you would have to be connected online when trying to transfer anything that is connected to online for authentication purposes.

You want to transfer from your Wii2 to your DS2, well then make sure your Wii2 is online and registered (can't d/l from wiishop without registering your Wii) then wirelessly connect your DS2 to your Wii (easy as clicking a menu option as you would have already registered them both) then transfer away.
If you have the WiiConnect24 services always running, it would be a seamless 2 step process. With a one-time registration per system and one-time setting up a MyNintendo account (which would automatically happen the first time you get your Wii online and enter the shop).

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2010, 06:07:06 PM »
What about ROB? Should he return?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2010, 06:07:50 PM »
no.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2010, 06:13:59 PM »
One more stupid attachment for the Wii that does nothing to enhance the game or the gameplay.
So I would have to ask you..... Why?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2010, 06:24:37 PM »
Mainly nostalgia reasons because I have used a series of stickers to make my wii look like the old NES system and I would like for the ROB accessorie to make it look like the old system. I used retro skins from dcal girl(an ebay store) and placed them over the wii system and a horizontal wii pelican that hold the wiimote and nunchuck(very hard to find) and various Nintendo themed stickers on the surface of the machine. I can give a more detailed description via the message boards.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2010, 06:34:05 PM »
Why don't you just post a picture.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2010, 06:38:37 PM »
Somebody gave me a link a few days ago about a site that allowed pictures on this forum, but it was a little too complicated for me to use. Would it be possible to reveal my email address to send the pictures out?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2010, 06:43:19 PM »
Go here: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=30575.0
Look for posting pictures, "How To Post an Image".

If you still can't figure it out, post in there and I'll help you out.
It's pretty simple once you know what you're doing.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2010, 06:58:47 PM »
I am drwaing a blank. :-\

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2010, 07:58:30 PM »
follow that link and post in that thread.
help will find you.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2010, 08:15:19 PM »
Check your inbox in the messassge page, blackandmild.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2010, 08:57:11 PM »

check this out. I have some at different angles, but I will have to upload them.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 09:00:42 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2010, 09:00:55 PM »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2010, 09:02:43 PM »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2010, 09:06:14 PM »
Ha ha, nice. I like the "Party like its 1985" one. I think I've seen most of those on t-shirts.

Also, there is an edit button. Please use it instead of creating multiple posts one after another.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2010, 09:07:46 PM »
Oh sorry. I have never done this before. What does everyone think? You can find most of this stuff on ebay if your interested. If I ever bought the ROB robot, I would do something similar to help it blend into the wii. Now you see why I want an external hard drive in the form of a NES controller that fits into the USB port.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 09:13:10 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2010, 09:10:04 PM »
I'd prefer mine to be in the factory painted black, or professionally done NES style w/ the red light. All under the gloss though.

No stickers or cheap paint jobs. That's like putting bumper stickers on my car pr using spray paint to add racing stripes and I would never do that.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 09:13:02 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2010, 09:15:32 PM »
I'd prefer mine to be in the factory painted black, or professionally done NES style w/ the red light. All under the gloss though.

No stickers or cheap paint jobs. That's like putting bumper stickers on my car pr using spray paint to add racing stripes and I would never do that.

Would it be possible to get some of the staff from NWR to see these pictures? I feel like I am in the spot light now for some reason. Wait until you see what I did to my DSi.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2010, 09:27:22 PM »
That mock-up for a classic NES style Wii is AWESOME.  Simple.  Effective.  Attractive.  If a case mod like that was available, I'd buy!

Some of the stickers posted above made me laugh too.  I wouldn't use them on my own Wii, but they were fun to see.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2010, 09:47:11 PM »
i love how there's a single post for the "Wii-tarded" picture. I can see that becoming useful.....

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2010, 09:53:13 PM »

Can anyone send pictures of their system(s)?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:12:09 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2010, 12:15:58 AM »
Did anyone notice my game collection?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2010, 01:52:26 AM »
Yes. You should get more Mario games!

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2010, 01:59:00 AM »
I noticed they are touching PS2 games.

Sickening
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2010, 02:15:40 AM »
After nearly five years, Microsoft has still not done anything to make the RROD go away.

That's just completely incorrect. The Xbox 360 systems have undergone numerous changes as far as architecture and hardware go. Modern 360s have a completely normal failure rate for electronics. It's not like they can go back and upgrade all the old Xboxes to the new hardware.

I do not like that Microsoft now owns Rare and its IPs.

Okay, so you don't like the company and refuse to buy an Xbox because they made what they believed at the time to be a sound business decision (which turned out bad since Rare already sucked by the time they bought them)? That's just foolish.

It's too big and bulky and the buttons are too small to press.

While it is bigger than the Dual Shock, the buttons are exactly the same size.

I do not like how Microsoft charges its customers for its online service when its competitors offer it for free.

You mean charges its customers less than $5/month for a vastly superior online service for all games on their system?

The design of th 360 looks poor

You're really going to complain about aesthetics?

I do not like its extendable disc tray because it is prone to jamming and the last generation console had the same thing.

My disc tray has never ever jammed and I've NEVER even heard of that problem, either from my friends or anybody online.

Last, Microsoft forces its customers to use their hard drives, while wii can use any SD card and the PS3 allows its hard drive to be interchangable.

Proprietary hard drives kind of suck but it's not like they're horrendously expensive, and if you buy new, they come with one anyway.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2010, 02:29:55 AM »
Yes. You should get more Mario games!

I am planning to get Super Mario Galaxy 2 when it comes out. It's kind of funny that most of my games are 3rd party.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2010, 04:27:43 AM »
But you don't want Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, or the others?

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2010, 11:54:51 AM »
I agree with KT in regards to the 360. The success of the system completely baffles me. So many people were willing to throw down hundreds of dollars for a piece of equipment that will certainely fall apart. So bizarre.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2010, 12:25:26 PM »
I agree with KT in regards to the 360. The success of the system completely baffles me. So many people were willing to throw down hundreds of dollars for a piece of equipment that will certainely fall apart. So bizarre.

After five years, there still has not been much of a credible improvement for the hard ware. It is still faulty and prone to RROD.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2010, 12:46:56 PM »
I think we're getting a little off topic here.

Regarding transfering games and saves I would say that the potential lost revenue of someone selling their Wii with downloaded games on it is made up for in the customer appreciation that comes from having a hassle-free service that doesn't assume that everyone is a crook.  I think it would be more damaging to piss off your customers.  It isn't like there's this underground scene of pirates buying additional consoles so they can transfer their downloaded games to it.  Just let the honest people move their games forward to their new console and they'll continue to be happy customers that want to continue to give you their business.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2010, 01:36:06 PM »
Easy transfer to the next system is part of the reason why I don't buy from the shop all that often.
The main reason is already part of that same issue. I spit my time between 2 different Wiis and most of my shop downloads are on the Wii I see least. If I could connect them both to my MYNintendo account, then it wouldn't matter where I download my stuff since I would be able to play it on either system (as long as they both are connected to WiiConnect24). If I could do that, then I would probably own lots mote WiiWare and VC titles.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2010, 02:17:04 PM »
I meant to edit out that Halo 3 poster in the background of my pictures. As for the wii download transfers, Nintendo will probably do something lucrative to solve this issue once the time comes. Look at how Sony let down its consumers with the PSPGo.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2010, 07:57:34 PM »
I'm sure that if Nintendo wanted to, they could come up with some way to transfer downloaded games to their next system, which I suspect will use the same Shop Channel catalogue. No reason to not. That's always the deciding factor with Nintendo though: if they want to.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2010, 08:43:47 PM »
Why should they when you can just repurchase them all over again :0.  Have one buddy who owns every release of the orginal Super Mario Brothers.  Even bought Animal Crossing just for it (well among the other Nes titles too). 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2010, 08:47:31 PM »
Because that has the potential to angry over 100 million people who own a Wii at the time. I'm sure they'll want to give as much incentive as they can for people to buy the new system.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2010, 05:43:32 AM »
I think I've bought multiple copies of the old SMB games already. I first bought them back in the NES days when they were fresh and new, then on the SNES I got them again in the form of Super Mario All-stars, then I got them again on the Gameboy Advance with their re-releases, and then finally got them once more for the Wii VC.

So geez... now that I think about it I've been ripped off by Nintendo repeatedly.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2010, 05:46:17 AM »
It isn't a rip-off when you know exactly what it is you are buying. If you bought a game that was advertised as being a new Mario game and ended up being Super Mario Brothers, that would be a rip-off.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2010, 02:29:03 PM »
It isn't a rip-off when you know exactly what it is you are buying. If you bought a game that was advertised as being a new Mario game and ended up being Super Mario Brothers, that would be a rip-off.

No, its still a rip-off because if I want to play these old games again I have to re-purchase them, even though I had already purchased them several times before.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2010, 02:32:11 PM »
Not really, because if you still have your original purchases and the system they work on, then you can always play it that way. All they did was offer the same games to a potentially new audience and in no way tricked you into thinking it was something different than what it was. It's more like you ripped yourself off for buying the same game so many times. Oops, your bad.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2010, 02:48:23 PM »

No, its still a rip-off because if I want to play these old games again I have to re-purchase them, even though I had already purchased them several times before.
Why did you have to repurchase them? Who forced you to do that? What happened to the other versions that you bought?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2010, 03:23:33 PM »

BS. That's like saying "I bought this movie on VHS, so it's a rip-off having to buy it on DVD or Blu-ray Disc" or "I bought this album on cassette, it's a rip-off having to buy it on CD". There is nothing stopping you from playing the original versions of a game on their systems. Don't complain because you want a game without having to pay for it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2010, 03:28:57 PM »
I wish I could take my Wii Music videos and send them to people without Wii Music, or at least post them to Youtube easily or something.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2010, 06:37:52 PM »

BS. That's like saying "I bought this movie on VHS, so it's a rip-off having to buy it on DVD or Blu-ray Disc" or "I bought this album on cassette, it's a rip-off having to buy it on CD". There is nothing stopping you from playing the original versions of a game on their systems. Don't complain because you want a game without having to pay for it.

The only thing that makes these scenarios a rip-off is that the media cartels would like you to believe that format shifting is a crime.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2010, 01:55:03 PM »
Don't complain because you want a game without having to pay for it.

LOL
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2010, 01:29:50 PM »

I don't consider it a rip-off unless Nintendo broke your NES or your NES cartridge.  With the Wii for example you might not have enough storage space but Nintendo allows you to re-download titles you have already purchased.  It becomes a rip-off when Nintendo disables that service and thus you can no longer re-download the game you bought.  Allowing this to transfer to the new console prevents this "remote off switch" and that's why I would consider anything but that to be unacceptable.  But this is precisely why I don't trust downloads to being with.  With physical media no company can decide I was just "renting" their product and can disable it.

Super Mario Advance was a rip-off though since unlike the other GBA ports it was named in a way to suggest it was a new game.  Same with Animal Crossing: City Folk.  There was clear intention to deceive.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2010, 05:15:48 PM »
With physical media no company can decide I was just "renting" their product and can disable it.

Well, actually Circuit City once had these DVD things called "DivX" which you could only play for so long and then you got locked out, and if you wanted to play them again you had to pay. The concept was shot down by angry consumers almost immediately, and CC lost a lot of money from that. Nowadays I've seen they have something similar in the form of regular DVDs that have some dye or something in them that degrade 24 hours after the disc is opened and rendering it useless.

Now, considering games are produced on this same sort of optical media, I don't think its out of the question that companies like Sony/Nintendo/MS might start pulling something like this at some point.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2010, 05:18:12 PM »
That'll never happen. EVER.

And I think you're talking about the digital copy that comes with DVD's now a days.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 22, 2010, 05:37:02 PM »
Now, considering games are produced on this same sort of optical media, I don't think its out of the question that companies like Sony/Nintendo/MS might start pulling something like this at some point.

They won't if they want to stay in business.  Videogames are not a necessity.  No one has to put up with unreasonable bullshit with videogames so they won't.  If it becomes too expensive or too much of a hassle or whatever people will just stop buying games.  And there is also nothing preventing a new competitor from coming in without all the bullshit and taking all the market share.

It's funny that the music industry and such try to pull all this Gustapo crap when the entertainment industry have by FAR the least clout of any major industry.  We need clothes, we need shelter, we need food, we need transportation, we need medical treatment, we need energy.  Industries that provide us with these necessities have clout.  The entertainment industry truly has NONE.  Make it too big of a pain in the ass to get your product then we'll either steal it or go without.  No one needs videogames.

And the funny thing is the industry with the least clout also is the easiest to steal from.  It's hard to steal gas for your car but you can easily copy any videogame or movie or song.  They got nothing.  I DARE them to try bullshit like decaying DVDs.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2010, 06:04:54 PM »
Don't complain because you want a game without having to pay for it.

LOL

I'm glad you realize how wrong you were. You want something for free and are bitching that you can't get it.

Ian, those discs were not copies sold for keep. They were basically marketed as rental movies (and sold for like $5), they even said right on the box that they could only be played a certain amount of times before the disc stopped working.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2010, 07:04:58 PM »
i think that was the original idea for red-box like machines in Fry's and whatnot, but that im sure got out competed by redbox. It eventually becomes more expensive to replace degradable DVDs than it does to just recycle them from user to user. They were worried no-one would return their dvd, but is easier to tie your credit card to a rental to keep you from stealing, but geniuses like Kashogi will find a way around that even.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 07:09:23 PM by ThePerm »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2010, 07:24:28 PM »
How most credit machines should work(if they already don't) is that they will place the charge on a hold status and won't activate the charge until a certain date.

basically a charge for $30 will show up on your statement, but it's only there to make sure you have $30 worth of room on the card. Lets say your rental is $2 but if you return your movie within the required days, then they charge will refund $28 and your actual bill will only show that you owed $2. If you're late then you get charged the full $30, but if you eventually return the movie then late charges apply and the remainder is refunded.

This will eliminate the ability to use credit gift/pre-paid cards that are either not valid or don't have a sufficient amount of credit on them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 07:26:22 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2010, 01:30:59 AM »
That'll never happen. EVER.

And I think you're talking about the digital copy that comes with DVD's now a days.

Nope. There are DVDs you can get at Staples for just a few bucks and they are burned in a certain dye that deteriorates within 24 hours of when you open the disc.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2010, 01:34:01 AM »
if all dvds were 5 bucks i would constantly buy them. Blu-Ray take prominence soon so the price can go down!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2010, 01:43:31 AM »
if all dvds were 5 bucks i would constantly buy them. Blu-Ray take prominence soon so the price can go down!

That isn't going to happen. Studios might stop making DVDs if the format starts to die out, but one thing they will never do is lower the price. Of course, the DVD format is in no danger of dying out within the next 5-10 years, so its a moot argument.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2010, 02:26:31 AM »
yes and no, DVD is really in no danger of dying like VHS did, but if Blu-ray grabs enough market share, retailers might mark them down. I do remember all the video stores and rental places selling all their tapes in mass when DVD took over, but your right. As much better as Blu-Ray is, its not as much better than DVD as DVD was better than VHS. Still, manufacturers can get more money out of Blu-Ray than they can DVD. So, what will likely happen is DVD versions will just get discontinued all together as br-players become more available. Whether the market wants this or not, an artificial pricing game can be played to force people into submission as time goes by. This would take about 5-10 years though, as you said.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2010, 02:31:57 AM »
blu-ray is just a small step. It'll never become the norm. Once SD cards become big enough and cheap enough. They will take over.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2010, 02:34:43 AM »

That isn't going to happen. Studios might stop making DVDs if the format starts to die out, but one thing they will never do is lower the price. Of course, the DVD format is in no danger of dying out within the next 5-10 years, so its a moot argument.

There are PLENTY of DVDs available for 5 bucks already, and there's sure to be plenty of movies to love in that mix. *Goes to level up his shopping skills*

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2010, 06:12:39 AM »
yes and no, DVD is really in no danger of dying like VHS did, but if Blu-ray grabs enough market share, retailers might mark them down. I do remember all the video stores and rental places selling all their tapes in mass when DVD took over, but your right. As much better as Blu-Ray is, its not as much better than DVD as DVD was better than VHS. Still, manufacturers can get more money out of Blu-Ray than they can DVD. So, what will likely happen is DVD versions will just get discontinued all together as br-players become more available. Whether the market wants this or not, an artificial pricing game can be played to force people into submission as time goes by. This would take about 5-10 years though, as you said.

Yeah, stores might discount old stuff to clear out inventory and make room for newer stuff. But that's just a one time thing. You have to be quick and jump on it when they start clearancing stuff off.

But then again, even if dead formats no longer exist in retail stores you can always get them cheaply enough at places like fleamarkets and at thrift stores. VHS is like that now. No one wants it, and you can't really even give it away to people, so it sells for real cheap. But of course, it is a dead format and nothing new is being made for it. The last VHS commercial release was Borat back in 2005 (according to wikipedia).

I don't think DVD will end up the same as VHS, though. DVD offered a huge leap over VHS in terms of quality of picture and not having to reward or have tapes wearing out or being eaten up by the player. Blu-ray is just an incremental upgrade over DVD. So it is better, yes, but its not better in a huge enough way that really makes people trip over themselves to upgrade to it. Plus its reverse compatible with BRD players, so its probably going to be around for a long long time to come.

Let's see... DVD came out in 1996 (I think) and the last VHS movie was in 2005. So that's 9 years I guess. I'm sure DVD will last at least that much longer, and probably more. Something will kill it someday, but whatever it is won't be BRD. It will probably be whatever comes next, like HVD or whatever. The next thing will also kill BRD off.
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2010, 10:27:58 AM »
I think I just want Progress and moving forward with the ideas of the Wii with better technology and better interface.

I think the Wii had many amazing things with its design, but its interface could have been more robust...and I hope Nintendo thinks about the small things.  Voice Chat channel always running in the background would be nice...so all games have chat feature with friends.

The Store needs major upgrades and allow for you to bring your already bought digital games to the new console would be nice.  As for technology and graphics I don't care.  I know Nintendo will give me something wonderful for both...and that is enough for me.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2010, 10:51:28 AM »
I'd definitely want to see a way to carry over virtual console stuff, but I don't even think that should be a part of the discussion.  Really, everyone wants to be able to use whatever they purchased to as great an extent as possible.

We've had a thread like this before, and a lot of people actually said they'd like to see the use of solid state media, or basically anything that wasn't optical media, for a variety of reasons.  Some ideas were that non-optical media, like an SD card-based format, is more difficult to damage, and can easily contain game saves.  Personally, I think utilizing a secondary media drive would be useful in providing "lock-on" capabilities more often.  I loved that aspect of Sonic & Knuckles, and I really think providing games on both a primary and secondary format would encourage expansion titles, in a method similar to DLC, but make retail releases much more possible and visible to all consumers.  I know that a second disc could be released, like with Super Street Fighter IV, but still, I think this method would encourage an expansion system.

That said, a lot of people also want more built-in storage, or a simple way to increase storage on the console.  I know if someone told me they could safely and quickly switch out the half-gig NAND on the Wii for something that could hold 8, or even four gigs for a reasonable price, without causing me to switch to over-complicated homebrew, I definitely would take it.  I'm literally nearly out of space with JUST game saves, VC saves, and VC game suspensions.  That's after I removed all the Wii-Ware and VC games, themselves, off my Wii.  Running out of space will soon grow to be a scary thing, and soon, I'll be forced to switch to an alternative, anyways, unless I want to lose gamesaves.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2010, 11:46:22 AM »
I'd definitely want to see a way to carry over virtual console stuff, but I don't even think that should be a part of the discussion.  Really, everyone wants to be able to use whatever they purchased to as great an extent as possible.

We've had a thread like this before, and a lot of people actually said they'd like to see the use of solid state media, or basically anything that wasn't optical media, for a variety of reasons.  Some ideas were that non-optical media, like an SD card-based format, is more difficult to damage, and can easily contain game saves.  Personally, I think utilizing a secondary media drive would be useful in providing "lock-on" capabilities more often.  I loved that aspect of Sonic & Knuckles, and I really think providing games on both a primary and secondary format would encourage expansion titles, in a method similar to DLC, but make retail releases much more possible and visible to all consumers.  I know that a second disc could be released, like with Super Street Fighter IV, but still, I think this method would encourage an expansion system.

That said, a lot of people also want more built-in storage, or a simple way to increase storage on the console.  I know if someone told me they could safely and quickly switch out the half-gig NAND on the Wii for something that could hold 8, or even four gigs for a reasonable price, without causing me to switch to over-complicated homebrew, I definitely would take it.  I'm literally nearly out of space with JUST game saves, VC saves, and VC game suspensions.  That's after I removed all the Wii-Ware and VC games, themselves, off my Wii.  Running out of space will soon grow to be a scary thing, and soon, I'll be forced to switch to an alternative, anyways, unless I want to lose gamesaves.

Do you not play your games off of the SD card. It saves a lot of memory for your wii. How many games do you have?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2010, 11:53:48 AM »

Do you not play your games off of the SD card. It saves a lot of memory for your wii. How many games do you have?
That said, a lot of people also want more built-in storage, or a simple way to increase storage on the console.  I know if someone told me they could safely and quickly switch out the half-gig NAND on the Wii for something that could hold 8, or even four gigs for a reasonable price, without causing me to switch to over-complicated homebrew, I definitely would take it.  I'm literally nearly out of space with JUST game saves, VC saves, and VC game suspensions.  That's after I removed all the Wii-Ware and VC games, themselves, off my Wii.
He addressed your concern before you even stated it. and if he is out of space with just channels, VC saves and save-states, I'm gonna guess that he owns quite a few VC/WiiWare games.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2010, 02:21:34 PM »
I'm literally nearly out of space with JUST game saves, VC saves, and VC game suspensions.  That's after I removed all the Wii-Ware and VC games, themselves, off my Wii.
I think that might be impossible.  Game saves aren't that big.  Unless you have dozens of copies of large game saves (e.g. Madden) you shouldn't be anywhere near maxing out the space.

You know you can run a lot of the channels off your SD card, right?  I'm talking about Everybody Votes, Check Mii Out, the Nintendo Channel, etc.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »
Channels currently on my Wii:

Disc Channel
Internet Channel
Nintendo Channel
Homebrew Channel

After clearing out now-unnecessary Sonic 3 save and suspend data, I found I had
997 blocks remaining.

Seems like a lot, right?  Well, when you consider that Elebits takes over 100 blocks, Brawl takes 128, Kororinpa 2 takes 76 now, and might expand if I download stages or build my own, as can Brawl, various music games take about 150 all together as buffers for streaming music from the SD card, and a few Wii-Ware saves take up about 50 more total blocks.

Add in the saves that take less than 50 blocks, which there are a few, like Animal Crossing, and I don't have much space left.  For those not in the know, the Homebrew Channel is 9 blocks on my Wii, and everything to do with it runs off my SD card.  The internet and Nintendo Channel could be moved to my SD card easily enough, since I don't use them often, freeing up about 350 more blocks.  Once I do that, I have space for 12 more 100+ game saves, if I don't download content from the internet, which can't be moved to the SD card and used in-game in most cases I'm aware of.

Sure, I haven't run out of that space yet, and I'm a bit away from that point, but it's conceivable I could hit that wall in the next year or two, especially since I don't even have gamesaves for all my games, and with Pixlbit, I do definitely plan to go back to many of those games for review rewinds.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2010, 03:58:51 PM »
I'm considering removing the Mario Kart Channel because it's redundant and takes up space.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2010, 04:08:09 PM »
I should get rid of my Mii channel(s) and the everybody poops channel, because I never use those and I'm sure they take up a lot of space. But then again, I have plenty of free space so its not an issue for me at the moment. But if it ever does become an issue, I would remove those channels in a heartbeat.
is your sanity...

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2010, 04:28:48 PM »
I should get rid of my Mii channel(s) and the everybody poops channel, because I never use those and I'm sure they take up a lot of space. But then again, I have plenty of free space so its not an issue for me at the moment. But if it ever does become an issue, I would remove those channels in a heartbeat.
What makes you think this post has any value to anyone but yourself?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2010, 05:06:08 PM »
i thought it was funny, Value +!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2010, 05:52:51 PM »
What makes you think this post has any value to anyone but yourself?

I never said it was.

So what makes your snide post of value to anyone? Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed today? Geez...
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2010, 05:56:34 PM »
vudu's a dick. just ignore him.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2010, 10:53:48 PM »
Could a Tegra chip find its way into the next wii system?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2010, 02:39:50 AM »
Do you actually know anything about what you're asking, or even the impact receiving an answer could have on your perception of Nintendo's next console and its capabilities?

I'm just curious to know, is all.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2010, 09:35:18 PM »
I was doing some data management on my Wii console and I thought of some features I'd like to see in the next console.  (All of these assume the next system will have an SD slot.)

I want a better way of backing up my save data.
  • I want to be able to see save file game progress and/or last modify date from the system menu.  While copying save files to an SD card there's no way to determine if the file on your system is newer than the one on your SD card.  Very problematic if you can't recall the last time you created a back up.
  • I want the ability to overwrite SD save data.  Currently if you want to update a backed up save file the only way to do it is to delete it from your SD card and then recopy it.  Annoying.
  • I want to be able to copy and back up all save files.  None of this can't copy online game saves or can't copy certain VC game saves bullshit.  Let me back up my stuff.  I'm on my 3rd Wii console and while I've luckily never lost any save files I don't trust that luck to hold out in the future.
  • I want to be able to click a single button and have all my save files copy/update to my SD card.  It can't be that hard to implement.  It shouldn't take me 10 minutes to copy a few save files to an SD card.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2010, 09:45:12 PM »
I just bought an adapter that plugs into the wii's gamecube port and allows NES, SNES, N64 and Genesis controller to be played on virtual console games. The thing actually works, but I would like something like this built into the next Nintendo system. Why was this adapter not included with the wii in the first place?

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2010, 09:47:36 PM »
Nintendo is cheaper than Uncle Scrooge

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2010, 09:51:39 PM »
Perhaps they could be visited by three ghosts. The ghost of gaming past, present and future. In the past, Nnitendo was a toy company coming out into the gaming industry. Fast forward to the present, Nnitendo is incredibly cheap and screws over its fans. Now, in the future, Nintendo sees itself going bankrupt and joining SEGA and its IPs going to Sony and Microsoft. There you have it, The Gaming Carol.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2010, 03:16:09 AM »

• I want to be able to copy and back up all save files.  None of this can't copy online game saves or can't copy certain VC game saves bullshit.  Let me back up my stuff.  I'm on my 3rd Wii console and while I've luckily never lost any save files I don't trust that luck to hold out in the future.
This. And everything else you said would be nice too, but mostly this.

I would like something like this built into the next Nintendo system. Why was this adapter not included with the wii in the first place?
Because it would make the system bulky and expensive to produce, and no one really cares.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2010, 03:29:46 AM »

This. And everything else you said would be nice too, but mostly this.

If you really want to do this, it's fairly easy if you install the Homebrew Channel.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2010, 03:33:58 AM »
I know that. I'm contemplating it. That doesn't mean I don't want a way to do it that's easy and 100% reliable.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2010, 05:36:45 PM »
I would be open to homebrewing my wii console, but I a affraid of reprocussions from Nintendo. The last firmware update bricked alot of wii consoles that were modded. I do not want this to happen.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 26, 2010, 06:11:32 PM »
I'm too cheap to do this, but many people have 2 Wii consoles. One homebrew and one for Nintendo's updates. They should be announcing that Black Wii in the US any day now so there's always a reason to double dip.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 26, 2010, 10:39:48 PM »
I would be open to homebrewing my wii console, but I a affraid of reprocussions from Nintendo. The last firmware update bricked alot of wii consoles that were modded. I do not want this to happen.

There are simple precautions available to ensure that doesn't happen.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2010, 11:40:11 AM »
I'm too cheap to do this, but many people have 2 Wii consoles. One homebrew and one for Nintendo's updates. They should be announcing that Black Wii in the US any day now so there's always a reason to double dip.

I'm planning to do this as soon as the Black Wii gets announced.