Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 755125 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #2325 on: December 06, 2018, 12:32:38 PM »
If they ship something extra to you that's their problem, not yours. They can't charge after the fact, that would be credit card fraud as they are billing you for something you didn't agree to/buy. You got what you asked for in the invoice and the extra item wasn't on it, they have no proof you have an extra one nor the lost copy was your copy.

Taking it back would expose them to all sorts of legal weirdness and something the store staff won't have a procedure for. The company would rather you keep it.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: December 06, 2018, 02:01:55 PM »
Good to know, thanks for the detail.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: December 06, 2018, 02:06:31 PM »
Legally if a company ships something to you by mistake it is yours to keep.

https://consumerist.com/2016/11/28/reminder-if-a-retailer-sends-you-something-you-didnt-order-you-can-keep-it/

In general, though you’re not legally obligated to tell the seller, if your conscience is pushing you in that direction, the FTC suggests that you notify the seller and offer to return the merchandise, so long as the seller is the one who will pay for all of the return shipping.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: March 01, 2019, 09:20:14 PM »
I picked up a nice little handheld grip thingy for the Switch.

I like it but I haven't gotten a chance to really break it in yet.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: March 15, 2019, 07:59:36 AM »
So I've been trying to not buy many games without beating some from my backlog first. That kind of fell apart last night after a week that was generally lousy but included me getting a bonus at work.

As someone who rather likes board games, I've always been interested when decent video game conversions are made available that allow you to play the games (either online or on your own) when friends aren't around. There are quite a few good digital versions of board games available now... but I don't have any modern hardware capable of playing most. Instead I got caught up looking at board games released on Nintendo DS.

Domestic purchases last night include:
* Scotland Yard - My kids really like the Scotland Yard board game right now, and this is supposed to be a really good digital adaptation with different maps and options available.
* Labyrinth - Another classic board game from Ravensburger, where you slide a tile into one side of a maze-like grid to change the board state, in a race to reach certain targets. By the same developer as Scotland Yard, and supposedly also a decent board game conversion?
* Chessmaster: The Art of Learning - I used to own Fritz Chess, and would have preferred to reacquire that game because of the inclusion of Chess960 and stronger computer AI... but this was much cheaper and has some different features that might encourage my kids to pick up the game.
* Clubhouse Games - Tons of classic games included here, and a nice feature set as well; even though many of the game aren't ones I'm keen to play, there are enough good ones to make it worth owning.

Imported DS games include:
* Keltis - I've never actually played the board game of this, but it's fairly well regarded.
* Catan
* Carcassonne - Apparently this and Catan are only mediocre conversions, but both are such classic games that I'm still glad to pick up copies. At least Catan is supposed to include a bunch of extra scenarios from the Seafarers expansions.

I know there are other board games converted to DS - mostly mass market western titles that collect several classic kids games onto a cartridge - but they aren't ones I'm keen to really spend much time with. If anyone knows of good DS/3DS board game conversions I've overlooked, please let me know!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:02:45 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: March 18, 2019, 04:35:25 PM »
I'd been using the HORI left Joy-Con with the D-Pad for a while, but for my birthday last week I got a real Joy-Con modded with a D-Pad. It's nice to be able to use it with my FlipGrip and on its own detached from the system when necessary.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: March 18, 2019, 07:02:24 PM »
I'd been using the HORI left Joy-Con with the D-Pad for a while, but for my birthday last week I got a real Joy-Con modded with a D-Pad. It's nice to be able to use it with my FlipGrip and on its own detached from the system when necessary.

Did you buy it modded or did you mod it yourself using one of those kits you can buy on Amazon for like 10-20 bucks? I'm planning to do that on my OG grey joy-cons when I fix the drift (figure best to experiment on the ones already showing defects, plus the grey is too drab).
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: March 18, 2019, 07:08:17 PM »
I didn't trust myself not to screw it up so I bought it already modded.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: March 25, 2019, 04:14:30 PM »
I just bought the one PS4 game I'm going to buy this year, MLB The Show 19. I really wish there were a good baseball sim on Switch, as having the ability to play FIFA in handheld mode is great, but I'll still likely sink a couple hundred hours into The Show this year even anchored to the TV.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: March 26, 2019, 03:36:26 PM »
My tear of buying cheap DS games continues. Added a few more this week:
  • Big Bang Mini
  • Mr Driller: Drill Spirits
  • Professor Layton and the Curious Village
  • Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
  • Professor Layton and the Last Specter
  • Fritz Chess

Most of these games were $5 each, which seemed like a fair deal. Unwound Future was just a bit more, and Last Specter was $25... but since there still doesn't seem to be any compilation planned for 3DS (something I had really hoped for) I'm content to collect them this way. Glad to grab a copy of Last Specter because I've never played it before and have a couple of long flights coming up next week.

Finding a cart-only copy of Fritz Chess for that price was a pleasant surprise, even with a damaged label. This game used to sell for silly prices. Apparently you can get second-hand copies now without breaking the bank, but it still seems to be uncommon and I really enjoy the Chess960 mode.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: April 11, 2019, 09:16:04 AM »
Picked up a secondhand elgato HD60, toying around with console game capture and seeing what I could produce with it.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: April 12, 2019, 05:31:38 PM »
Two more cheap used games:
* Plants vs Zombies (DS) - My son really wanted to try this one; for just a few dollars, why not?
* Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 (3DS) - Love the series and really enjoyed the first Untold game; this was one of very few 3DS games still on my "must buy" list so was pleased to find a cheap used copy.

Offline kaijugamer

• Spambot
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: May 26, 2019, 11:14:49 PM »
I was intrigued by Our World Is Ended and I kinda like the box cover so I bought the game.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: June 18, 2019, 01:37:53 PM »
So the Raptors have won the NBA playoffs... which means I have no need for cable any longer. Time to cut that cord!  But I'd still like to get Netflix on our old CRT downstairs... so what to do? 

The best answer I could find was either a second Wii U console, or a Roku Express+ (which they don't actually seem to sell in Canada) since I need something that supports component/composite cables.

After looking around for a while, it seems like tracking down a Wii U console in good condition isn't all that easy or inexpensive. Makes me miss the Wii, which was so common you could find them all over the used market - often for ridiculously low prices. However, I did find one of the Deluxe Windwaker edition consoles marked down to $100 CAD. The bluetooth chip in the controller is shot, with range limited to a couple of feet from the console until I replace the chip, and the previous owner must have been a smoker judging by the smell of the cables. The first issue is inexpensive to fix; the second makes me wary though. Smoking is so nasty, and can cover everything in a gross film. (Oddly, the console and gamepad seem to be in good condition and odor-free; they just needed a bit of TLC and gentle cleaning.)

What do people think? Is this a deal worth holding onto, or should I cut bait and keep looking? For reference, very few Wii U consoles have been available locally this year - I've been watching - and nothing for under $180 CAD unless there are some significant quality issues attached. $100 is right at my sweet spot, and the limited edition controller will be pretty sweet once bluetooth behaves correctly.

---
Edit:  As an added bonus, I might have the chance to buy one of those nice Rocketfish Wii U Carrying Bags at a reasonable price, and am hoping it comes through. These bags were discontinued long ago and blown out for super cheap prices in US Best Buy stores, but I never had the chance to buy one and now they tend to fetch silly high prices on the second-hand market. There was never a better option available for storing/carrying a Wii U console, and it would be pretty cool to actually track one down.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 01:52:25 PM by ejamer »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: June 18, 2019, 01:51:45 PM »
It is possible that they stores the system and gamepad in a cabinet, so only the cables running out to the power/TV were exposed directly to smoke. I bought a used car previously driven by a smoker. It was professionally detailed by the dealer and most of the scent was gone, but it retained the hint of cigarette smoke for about two years. Some time after that I realized I had stopped smelling the scent.

A tertiary search tells me wiping it down with vinegar or leaving it outside on a dry day can help. Also using baking soda, or wrapping the console with some febreeze or fabric softener cloths.

Maybe this advice will help.
My Game Collection

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: June 18, 2019, 01:59:43 PM »
A tertiary search tells me wiping it down with vinegar or leaving it outside on a dry day can help.

All good tips - and I like that vinegar idea, definitely worth trying!

I also wondered if keeping it in a cabinet of some sort might have protected the console, but since the controller doesn't smell I was a bit skeptical that is what happened.   Maybe since they knew the controller bluetooth wasn't working (which is why it was marked down), they just stuck smelly cords from one console with the "broken" gamepad to try and get rid of the worst components all at once?

Regardless, my concern about smoke isn't really with the cables. That will fade away once they are cleaned carefully a few times, and it shouldn't affect their performance. My only worry is about the console innards - the kind of stuff you don't see unless breaking it open and doing a detailed cleaning. I'm probably too lazy for that; cleaning the laser is about as far as I'll go.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: June 18, 2019, 10:02:36 PM »
Quick follow-up:

The vinegar rub-down followed by some time sitting outside on the deck during a warm, sunny day worked far better than I had hoped or expected. Didn't kill the smell from the cords entirely, but made it much better. Repeating the process would probably remove the odor enough that I wouldn't even notice it...

Thanks again for the fantastic tip.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: August 25, 2019, 10:08:49 PM »
Wow... so nobody buys games anymore?  C'mon guys!  Help this poor old man live vicariously!

Recently did buy a couple of items and forgot to list them:
* Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS) - I know there is a 3DS remake, but the DS game was fine and available used for an incredibly low price. After my son beat (and really enjoyed) Rocket Slime, this seemed like a great summer pick-up for him.
* Puzzle & Dragons Z + Super Mario Edition (3DS) - The demo struck me as being really fun, and there was also a cheap used copy available when picking up the game above. Count me in!
* Tales of Symphonia (GameCube) - Decided I wanted to play this game, then realized I sold my copy a while back and don't own any of the systems with the HD remake. There was supposed to be a copy at the local used store, but when buying they forgot to put the discs in initially and when I went back they found out the second disc was missing anyway... so gave me a refund and let me keep the rest at no charge. Found the second disc available cheap (w/free shipping) from a separate used site so ended up being better off with the hassle.

And a "will probably get soon" listing:
* Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, and Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (3DS) - Used copies popped up for a reasonable price locally. I've played Miracle Mask but not Azran, and the option to own the whole (main) Layton series is just too tempting. Is there anything I should know about before adding these games to my backlog?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: September 12, 2019, 01:30:49 PM »
I buy games, but then to cast them in my "backlog" and never get around to playing them much. So I don't always have an initial thought on them to post here when I do buy.

I used two of the Nintendo Online vouchers to pick up Fire Emblem, DQ Builders 2, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Hardly had time to play some of them because Fire Emblem is taking up my time. I really want to beat my first story route before more of the game is spoiled for me. A lot of it has been by accident or me taking too many chances looking up guides on how to recruit or get the best conversation outcomes. I'm okay with this, but the latter part of the game has very little spoiled from it so really hoping I can power through the last few months and clear the Black eagles route.

Also grabbed Hellblade on sale since I already planned to grab that game and 1/3rd off seemed as good of a time as any. Might use my last voucher on Astral Chain, but I've decided to wait for a bit before I make a decision.

There are a lot of games coming out I want, and there are also DLC packs I plan to get, so deciding how to balance things out.
My Game Collection

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: September 18, 2019, 09:12:00 AM »
I didn’t realize the Daisy Super Smash Bros. Amiibo came out in April. I’ve been playing chicken with vendors on Amazon for the past few months, hoping one would blink first and drop the price. They haven’t, and the last time I waited, Callie and Marie went up to like $45 (they’re like $150 now). Daisy was only $24.04. Slight overpay, but not terrible.

I also pre-ordered Trials of Mana just in case. If feel like it’ll only be fun multiplayer so I may cancel it. I’ll probably get the Link’s Awakening Amiibo on Friday. I have a problem.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 09:14:58 AM by Adrock »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: September 18, 2019, 02:09:26 PM »
I also pre-ordered Trials of Mana just in case. I feel like it’ll only be fun multiplayer so I may cancel it.
Trials of Mana doesn't have multiplayer, though maybe it could be added later in a patch.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: September 18, 2019, 05:13:36 PM »
Seriously? Wasn't that the draw of the original?
My Game Collection

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: September 18, 2019, 07:05:05 PM »

I thought it was supposed to be the high quality translation work and attention to story-telling?
(But haven't played the game, obviously.)

Latest gaming purchase:  My Genesis Mini console just shipped and is apparently supposed to arrive this week. However, the local carrier is notorious around here for not being reliable... so keeping my fingers crossed. Would love to be playing a bunch of classic games over the weekend!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 08:41:40 PM by ejamer »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: September 18, 2019, 07:34:34 PM »
I thought it was supposed to be the high quality translation work and attention to story-telling?
(But haven't played the game, obviously.)
Trials of Mana didn’t get officially translated until the collection that released last month. I can’t speak for others, but the draw for me was that it’s the follow up to one of the better multiplayer SNES games (though apparently not a narrative sequel?) and one of the best looking games of its time. It holds up pretty well graphically.

I tried Trials of Mana on emulator several years ago but just couldn’t get into it. I was excited for the remake. I preordered because I wanted to give it another go. However, it’s a tough sell without multiplayer though finding anyone to play locally is proving to be a difficult task in and of itself.
Latest gaming purchase:  My Genesis Mini console just shipped and is apparently supposed to arrive this week. However, the local carrier is notoriously around here for not being reliable... so keeping my fingers crossed. Would love to be playing a bunch of classic games over the weekend!
Amazon has Monday as my delivery date, most likely because I have most shipments sent to my employer with no weekend deliveries. I’m eager to try some of the games, and let’s face it, I probably wasn’t going to play it this weekend anyway.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: September 19, 2019, 07:40:06 PM »
Largely due to the "Best of the 3DS eShop..." threads in the Nintendo Gaming forum, I ended up buying a handful of 3DS Virtual Console titles tonight.
* Super Mario Land - played through once already; it's short and pretty easy, but also quite weird for a Mario game; the controls are a bit odd, which doesn't help
* Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - lots of nostalgia for this one, and not sure how it will hold up so many years later... used to be my favorite Game Boy game
* Mole Mania - I said it was a classic worth owning, and then felt bad that I didn't own it any longer; still fun!
* CATRAP - new to me, haven't tried it yet
* Balloon Kid - new to me, haven't tried it yet

I was going to get Kirby's Dreamland 2, until realizing that it's available via Kirby's Dream Collection (Wii).
The only game I'm kind of "missing out on" from the polls is Burger Time Deluxe, which actually looks pretty decent. My available cash ran out this time, but maybe I'll grab it next time around.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 07:48:31 PM by ejamer »