Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572245 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2050 on: January 21, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »
This is a completely selfish wish of me but... I'd really, really, be happy with a Tower Defense game at launch, probably downloadable?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: January 21, 2012, 05:25:59 PM »
If the iOS/eReader app rumor is to be believed, then I would expect one in the launch window of the online service.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2052 on: January 21, 2012, 07:19:06 PM »
Popcap probably smuggled a dev kit out of EA to get Plants vs Zombies ported to the WiiU. It'd run great on the tablet.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2053 on: January 22, 2012, 01:46:45 AM »
****, we could easily end up with a bunch of iOS ports. The DSi did get Plants vs Zombies and others so, what Shaymin said is highly probable.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #2054 on: January 22, 2012, 04:33:32 PM »
I was thinking for the long while how Wii U could be used to improve Wii Music. The Wii U controller could be used to write music in a Mario Paint like style, and the game would then calculate the harmonic "in-between" notes. That way, even if you write a completely original melody, Wii Music U can help create you more music based on this melody through its existing method of playing songs (with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk). This way, you could write a song, send it to another player and have them arrange it and send it back.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:35:08 PM by ThomasO »

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: January 22, 2012, 05:24:24 PM »
This is a completely selfish wish of me but... I'd really, really, be happy with a Tower Defense game at launch, probably downloadable?

I'm for this as long as Nintendo gets Q-Games to develop it. PixelJunk Monsters and Starship Defense are two of my favorite Tower Defense games that were ever made.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: January 22, 2012, 10:43:48 PM »
So what is everyone's general hype-level for the Wii U at this point? I'm curious because the Wii U happens to be the first Nintendo system in quite some time that I am not only really anticipating, but thinking about purchasing on launch day (despite the fact that it could possibly get a price drop within the first couple of years). Everything that I've heard so far -- both facts and rumours -- has me extremely interested. Everything but the name, which I think is completely stupid.

Unintelligible names aside, it seems as though Nintendo is going to deliver much of what I am hoping for in the Wii's successor. As a single console owner -- the Wii -- it's not too difficult to get excited about the changes being implemented, even those that are only rumours at this point. However, one of the features I am most looking forward to is the system's ability to stream games to the tablet. I've passed on the 3DS simply because as I grow older I simply can't afford to be buying games for two systems which will undoubtedly have great lineups (the 3DS already proving this to be the case). And as I do most of my handheld gaming at home, it'll be a great solution, especially when my fiancé wishes to watch the TV.

Bottom line, I'm really looking forward to this year's E3. I can't wait to see how many of the rumours pan out, and what other surprises Nintendo has up their sleeves (and they always have some). As someone who really enjoys the Wii (in spite of its many shortcomings), I'm safely betting on Nintendo doing even better, and that alone is enough to get me excited -- though there are clearly many other things that do so, as well. Consider my level of anticipation a 9/10.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:46:09 PM by OneTwenty »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: January 22, 2012, 10:51:35 PM »
I'm doing my best to keep my hype level low for the time being, but E3 will most likely wreck that, especially since I'm planning on being there.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: January 22, 2012, 11:09:31 PM »
ThomasO's ruminating on Wii U Music just got me even more excited! Heh.

Well, full disclosure, I'm a Nintendo fan. So sue me. And I currently have no plans to buy either a 360 or PS3, nor a 720 or PS4. If I could survive on the GameCube, I'm not afraid of any rough spots the Wii U might get into. Just keep making games Nintendo.

And also, for the past couple years, my parents have been living in a small place without a tv and I visit them pretty often. There are computers and the internet, but no monitors... so the Wii U feels like Nintendo developed it by looking at my situation and came up with a solution that really is perfectly suited to me! I'm also drooling over the chance to play the Wii U from bed, or get Netflix streaming to the tablet Controller... I mean, I can't help but be excited! Nintendo keeps figuring out new ways for me to interact with hardware, software, and exploring what videogames can be!

That's what I'm a Nintendo fan for, not same-sequels or ever-more-polygons. I don't expect the Wii U to be everything, I don't expect Nintendo to be perfect. I don't need a smooth ride, bragging rights, or for some sort of Nintendo empire to grip the world of gaming in its iron power glove. I just want a little spark of magic, a little bit of that Nintendo difference.

I want the new, the challenging, and the mind-expanding. I want adventure, whimsy, and integrity. I want someone to remind me that it's worth believing that something new and powerful can always be imagined, discovered, created, and felt.

I think the Wii U can give me that. My excitement for it out of 10? I'm budgeting for an 11.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2059 on: January 22, 2012, 11:35:43 PM »
My hype level is at "cautious optimism."
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: January 23, 2012, 12:24:41 AM »
My hype is non-existant. I doubt i'll get it at launch unless Nintendo has a spectacular e3 showing and has plenty of launch games i want to play but i've already decided i wont be buying any consoles until the sum of the cost of the games i want to play (that are already released) are equal or greater than the cost of the system. I forget who i heard that from in RFN but it seems like a great way to gage when to make the plunge. To be frank though I've we've been burnt by Nintendo so often that i think this time i wont be buying the nintendo system until the very end of the generation say around a year or so until the next-next gen. Unless a miracle happens and nintendo somehow gets the same amount of support it got in the SNES years.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:35:00 AM by Lithium »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: January 23, 2012, 02:17:14 AM »
Is it possible that the Wii U has been downsized to a 32/28nm chip instead of the 45nm  process that previously announced back at E3?

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/36465.wss

This would mean more power in the same size shell or same power in a smaller shell.
I don't know if it's possible this press release is related to the Wii U or not, as most people think it's related to the neXbox720, but it would be nice.

Besides, if this was related to X720 then that would surely mean a late 2012 release.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: January 23, 2012, 09:17:02 PM »
Project Cars (racing sim) is coming to the WII U sometime in 2013.  For those Indy car nuts this game is for you. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: January 23, 2012, 10:23:48 PM »
Project Cars (racing sim) is coming to the WII U sometime in 2013.  For those Indy car nuts this game is for you. 

Project C.A.R.S. slated for a Wii U release
(Community Assisted Racing Sim)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-24-project-cars-preview
How that finished product makes it to the market remains in-flux. For now, it's set to be a free-to-play PC game, powered by micro-transactions that will, Slightly Mad says, be competitively pitched, undercutting its competitors in what they're calling a supermarket pricing philosophy. There's the intention of having it come to console too, with Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii U versions currently slated - which suggests a boxed copy when the project nears completion in 2013, an idea that Slightly Mad isn't entirely averse to.
Official site: http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/cars/
Video of Race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rag4sXgntuw&feature=related

The more the merrier. And I'm sure it will make good use of the tablet as a steering wheel should it ever actually see retail or console release.

The Wii U logo has shown up on this site, so mark this down as another Wii U title to hopefully see release sometime next year.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: January 24, 2012, 12:53:05 PM »
My hype level is extremely low.  I bought Mario Galaxy 2 and played it for 5 minutes.  I bought Skyward Sword and haven't opened it yet.  Part of it is because I'm so focused on family and my 2 year old son that I haven't been playing games that much.  Part of it is because I latched onto trophies on the PS3 and Steam achievements that any game that doesn't give me those loses it's excitement.

So if Nintendo announces an achievement type system for the WiiU, my excitement level will undoubtedly go up.  Outside that, it'll be until my son is old enough to play the games I like to play before I get hyped.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: January 24, 2012, 01:10:55 PM »
I could never understand the obsession so many people have with these achievement systems.  I own all 3 current consoles and I never really cared what trophies I've opened up or achievement I've unlocked.  It never affects the game in question so I don't really see the point.  I guess I'm just stuck in my old ways where I just want a good game to play and a decent story to follow.  Time is so limited that as soon as I'm done with one, its on to the next so achievements never really matter as much as the games themeselves.  To each there own though, apparently its a big thing if so many people are into it and I'm in the minority. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: January 24, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
It never affects the game in question

Actually it does in a very big way because it causes people to bust their ass to play the game in ways they otherwise wouldn't do if there wasn't a trophy at stake.
is your sanity...

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: January 24, 2012, 03:01:16 PM »
But trophies/achievements are essentially a superficial reward, they don't necessarily unlock anything within the game. They're pretty much for masochists who need these phony rewards because they can't achieve anything in real life.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: January 24, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »
They're pretty much for masochists who need these phony rewards because they can't achieve anything in real life.

Yes, but that's true with video games in general. As well as movies, TV, books, and everything else people use to live vicariously as a badass like they can't do in the real world. At least trophies give you something somewhat tangible to show for it.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: January 24, 2012, 03:15:10 PM »
Achievements can be really cool when they encourage you to play the game in new and different ways. I don't care about achievements in most games, but I got all of them in Geometry Wars 2 because they were creative and really changed up how I approached the game. When games just give them out for beating levels or collecting things you're going to get anyway they're pretty worthless, but they can be so much more than that when the developer wants them to be.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2070 on: January 24, 2012, 03:18:34 PM »
Achievements can encourage you to try new things. I never would have tried creating a song in Guitar Hero: World Tour if there wasn't an achievement for doing so.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: January 24, 2012, 03:19:11 PM »
Tangible? They're exactly the opposite of tangible. I can't touch or use these trophies. They're completely superfluous and are essentially used to artificially extend the playtime of a game.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2072 on: January 24, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
Tangible? They're exactly the opposite of tangible. I can't touch or use these trophies. They're completely superfluous and are essentially used to artificially extend the playtime of a game.

How they any different than something like a high score table? Those are arguably even more superfluous.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: January 24, 2012, 03:21:51 PM »
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:23:25 PM by marty »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: January 24, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »
well it would be cool if you could print out a gaming diploma, but that would be impractical.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post