Author Topic: Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D Impressions  (Read 3082 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D Impressions
« on: January 19, 2011, 05:32:35 PM »

While not a robust demo, it definitely showed off the potential of the full game.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/24798

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, which is set for a summer 2011 release, is a compilation of the Mercenaries secondary mode present in Resident Evil 4 and 5. Featuring characters and settings from all over the Resident Evil series, Mercenaries 3D also serves as a celebration of Resident Evil's 15th anniversary. While we can't confirm that this game is going to be packed to the gills with content, what Capcom has told us so far is very promising, and the gameplay in the two-level, four-character demo is rock solid.

The demo has four playable characters: Chris Redfield, Claire Redfield, Hunk, and Jack Krauser. Each character has a different loadout with different accessible weapons and items. My personal favorite weapon in the demo was Claire's electric-based weapon that shot out a pulse that hit multiple enemies in a certain area. Jack Krauser, naturally, is a total bad-ass with his bow and knife.

In the demo, there are two levels, one each from Resident Evil 4 and 5. If you're not familiar with the Mercenaries gameplay style, then what you need to know is that it is a score-based survival mode where you have to last as long as you can with limited supplies and an endless onslaught of enemies. Basically, it's Horde mode before there was a Horde mode.

You control your character with the Slide Pad, and activating your aiming reticule by holding the R button. Then, you can shoot with the Y button. Like Resident Evil: Revelations, you can hold down the L and R buttons to lock your aim and walk forward or backward. Changing weapons and using items is easily done on the touch screen; no need to worry about a stylus because the on-screen buttons are big enough to just hit with your finger.

After a little bit of getting used to them, I loved the controls. I found myself generally holding down L and R to lock my aiming, though, otherwise I would usually mess up my aiming because I'd be moving while trying to fire.

The 3D effects are subtle, but most definitely immerse you in the experience. Add in a pair of headphones, and it is an intense game, especially when the enemies pile on top of you. Is the 3D necessary? No, but it makes the game better.

If Capcom delivers on their promise of a bunch of content, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D will be an awesome single-player and multiplayer (local and online) game. This demo rekindled my love for the mode, and I'm very excited to play more of it in 3D.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D Impressions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:13:44 PM »
This is looking to be one of my first 3DS games

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 07:09:01 PM »
I will skip 3DS games for the time being.

My objective is to spread NOA REGGIE to unsuspecting users, taking names in three dimensions.

This feature is known as StreetPunt :reggie:
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:18:36 PM »
NOA REGGIE could become the most downloaded Mii of all time.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:07:51 PM »
Basically, it's Horde mode before there was a Horde mode.

Basically, it's Invasion mode way after there was Invasion mode. :P

Mercenaries never really caught my interest in RE4. The controls were way too sluggish for it to be any fun, and it sorely needed multiplayer. Capcom seems to have remedied one of those problems, at least.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 02:05:26 PM »
What I want to know about The Mercenaries 3D is the ratio of old maps and new maps. From your limited play session, to what degree did it seem that they were ripped directly from the map sets in RE4 and RE5? I would be disappointed if it was just the modes from those two games amalgamated. No objections about Capcom using the general environmental themes, but it would be good to have some maps made specifically for this game. I bet I'm not the only one who played a fair bit of Mercenaries in Resident Evil 4 - who wants exactly the same scenarios? Not me.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:07:17 PM by Killer_Man_Jaro »
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 02:09:05 PM »
Will Wesker be unlockable? LEON?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »
DLC

and,

DLC

=|
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline SupaKirb

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 05:03:48 PM »
Oh God... I really do want this. I love RE4 and the guys in the Podcast said it felt just like it, except for it being on a handheld.  :cool;

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 06:10:12 PM »
That was actually RE:Revelations, SupaKirb. Listen to Newscast this week to hear me talk more about this.

Also, we have an interview with a Capcom rep going up soon. He elaborates more on the character/map issue. There's going to be a lot of characters. I'm assuming (safely) that you'll get every major character.

I don't think the rep said concretely there will be new maps, but he did say they'll have everything from RE4 and 5, and also remix them. I'm going off of memory, though, and I was rather tired near the end of the event (when the interview happened). As I said, it'll be up soon.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 07:01:05 PM »
I'm crossing my fingers for Angela Miller in her riot gear.