Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537823 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #6425 on: March 31, 2021, 08:08:34 AM »
Korea's biggest hurdles was pacing issues due to Nick not committing to the series.  And when they finally did, they really screwed with the airings, between international premiers, online premieres, MOVING THE FREAKING CHANNEL it was on...

Season one had a lot of promise, but the final episode really hurt the series going forward.  I would love to see Korea from a universe where Nick put their faith in the series from the start.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6426 on: March 31, 2021, 07:39:38 PM »
I'll say it for you "dang auto-correct!"
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: April 01, 2021, 02:38:38 AM »
GvK aka Godzilla vs King Kong

This was a pretty dope movie, far from perfect, but the fight scenes were pretty dope.
It seemed to kinda skip certain things for sake of saving time, and I mean to transition from one situation or scene to the next, but it's nothing major. and I'm sure the exclusion of those types of scenes probably shaved a few minutes from the runtime. So all is forgiven.

Kong looks like a bad ass in this with his grey beard, just an observation.
But you can kinda liken this movie to a Batman vs Superman, in the sense that Godzilla is a much more equipped beast (mouth laser, thick hide, tail, and at home in the water or on land) than Kong, but Kong ain't no punk.

long story short, worth the watch.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: April 01, 2021, 05:31:32 AM »
Godzilla vs King Kong - 6/10.

I didn't like Godzilla vs King Kong except the two fight scenes. Watch the intro, fast forward to the ship scene and then fast forward to the fight in the city. Otherwise it's just a shlog through psuedo-science and conspiracy theory babble. Every time a human opened their mouth I felt stupider for having watched it. They could have cut the film to 45 minutes. The best entry in the legendary series is still King Kong Skull Island. I was also spoiled by Cloverfield.

If I were to make a Godzilla movie I'd set it on Okinawa(or maybe a fictional island like the mythical Onogoro island) and I'd just follow a similar plot of the 1960s movie. The beasts each start attacking the island from opposing ends and bowl through the island only to clash at the end. The great thing about setting it on Okinawa is you could have Kong start off on a US military base and then have Godzilla start off in a city. Obviously everyone would be terrified by the monsters having been caught between them. no journey to the center of the earth bullshit Human being will not be able to stop these monsters and the only thing that is going to stop one of the monsters is either one of the monsters.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6429 on: April 02, 2021, 01:14:23 PM »
Korea's biggest hurdles was pacing issues due to Nick not committing to the series.  And when they finally did, they really screwed with the airings, between international premiers, online premieres, MOVING THE FREAKING CHANNEL it was on...

Season one had a lot of promise, but the final episode really hurt the series going forward.  I would love to see Korea from a universe where Nick put their faith in the series from the start.

I feel like that was par for the course for them at that time. I remember missing so much of Avatar Book 3 because the new episodes would air at random times, and they'd never repeat them.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: April 04, 2021, 03:18:08 AM »
I liked S1 of Korra, it felt like it upped the ante in a lot of great ways but that the escalation ended faster than I would have expected, especially for a single first season. While the 'resolution' at the end for her dilemma made some sense, it felt unearned or at least not dwelled on long enough.

Then S2 felt like it upped that ante from the climax of S1 10-fold to the point it felt like it should have been the final season. Knowing that Nick's commitment issues were at play I can see why each season both upped the risk and seemed like a 'new final boss form' challenge to overcome as they were trying to write a series conclusion that ended up not being the end.

Partway through S3 now and I like how it has 'settled back down' so to speak. I like all the additional world building but agree that the characters have been neglected so to speak (but there are also some really good moments as well).

I've not seen enough of Zuko to know what they did for his character, but not seen anything too bad about the others (mixed feelings on Toph, but maybe I'll see more later in the season). I like the sibling dynamic for Aang's kids, though I need more context to know if it truly is a mar on Aang's character/poor parenting since we are only hearing it from the perspective of the children as adults while they are fighting/resolving fights.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: April 04, 2021, 08:56:16 AM »

I feel like that was par for the course for them at that time. I remember missing so much of Avatar Book 3 because the new episodes would air at random times, and they'd never repeat them.

I just noticed autocorrect nailed me twice in my,post, Korra to Korea.  Ugh. 🤣
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6432 on: April 06, 2021, 08:13:44 PM »
I watched the Big Monkey fight the Big Lizard.

There were a lot of people talking and being not normal humans in the movie.  There seem to have been some technological leaps since the last Godzilla movie.  I remember the first one in this current iteration being very grounded in modern times and the next one sort of upping things to allow the humans to contain and monitor giant eggs or something and also submarine tech got better (hard to remember).  I didn't see Kong: Skull Island, so idk about that.  But the jump in tech appears exponential.

Speaking of annoying things, the logistics of moving Kong around (so he could punch Big Lizard) left so many questions.  First, the fact that some corporation could move him around just because some lady gave the ok is WILD.  That really seems like something the U.N. would want to talk about first?  Then, this corporation seems to own an entire naval fleet complete with multiple aircraft carriers which cost tens of billions of dollars to build and like $100B to maintain a year, and these guys just have some lying around.  Also, these things are nuclear powered, meaning there is a nuclear reactor on the ship to make it go, and that is one of those things the US Government is pretty good at regulating.

After suspending your disbelief beyond there being a Big Lizard who wanted to fight a Big Monkey, the rest of the movie is pretty good.  It does, however, ask you to suspend disbelief a lot as things get fairly cartoonish even beyond the title fight, especially the villain of the film because there just had to be one for some reason.  It's worth the watch.  You get what you come for, and they didn't lie with the "One will fall" tagline, either.

7/10

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: April 06, 2021, 09:12:01 PM »
I just looked up who the writers of Kong vs Zilla were. Krampus comes up, which is a great movie. Just interesting to think that either they had no basic science education, or are into absurdist fictional science.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6434 on: April 07, 2021, 12:10:43 AM »
The giant monster fight genre lends itself to pseudoscience pretty well.  The problem is, as far as the monsters are concerned, you can lean more reliably into mythology which is kinda how I remember Godzilla: King of the Monsters.  But then they get people in that space and you end up with flying cars that look horribly out of place.  But even that would be excusable if they plot points made more sense.  They had to do some serious hand-waving at the end that would've ruined it for me had the movie not been pretty much over by that point.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6435 on: April 07, 2021, 03:53:43 AM »
I grew up watching Showa era movies. So, I can enjoy them for what they are. I see what the Legendary pictures movies are trying to do, but it just isn't working. If we were to compare this to Batman: these movies are in the Batman Forever/Batman and Robin space. They're homaging the old stuff, but not doing it as well. Batman Forever was better than Batman and Robin and I feel Godzilla 2016 and Skull Island were Forever, and Godzilla king of the monsters and Kong vs Godzilla are Batman and Robin. I really need to check out the Shin Godzilla series. They look better to me.  I just watched the Japanese version of the original Godzilla and while it had more of what I was looking for than this movie. This movie does look fantastic though.

I just like the idea that these things are just unstoppable hurricanes. Another thing. I used to go to Universal all the time when I was a kid. Orlando wasn't far and universal was cheaper than Disney. Anyhow we went on the Kongfrontation ride, the Earthquake ride, and the Jaws Ride and I think one of these movies really does need to focus on a group of people. There needs to be a sizable amount of shot with the monster, but whats scary is when your inside the building and it's getting fucked. Scenes should alternate between macroscopic and microscopic. As much as people dislike Roland Emmerich, I think his movies are pretty good. If it wasn't for the dialog they'd be S tier movies.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6436 on: April 07, 2021, 09:49:45 PM »
Speaking of Universal Studios, I think there was one section of the movie explicitly designed to be turned into a ride.

I do think you need the scenes with people on the ground, but what we got in this movie was not cutting the mustard.  During the end fighting, you get three people in a building that should've been torn to shreds because of Mechagodzilla escaping it but they're perfectly safe.  Then you get three people on the ground during the fight, who are more or less unaffected by it.  It was almost as if there weren't civilians in the movie getting absolutely wrecked by the giant monster fight.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6437 on: April 16, 2021, 02:53:13 AM »
Thunderforce 6/10 - The internet hates this move, but I find crab jokes hilarious.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6438 on: April 30, 2021, 06:27:28 PM »
Mortal Kombat(2021) 5/10 What an awful movie.
The movie had a horrendously bad plotline, actually going downhill from other Mortal Kombat movies. Goro looked great though. Kabal was cooler than he's ever been.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6439 on: May 01, 2021, 03:55:15 PM »
I have a contrasting opinion on Mortal Kombat (2021).  I hate to keep giving out 7s like this, but it's another 7.  It's a stronger 7 than Godzilla vs Kong, but the fight scenes needed to be better for another point/half point.

Light Spoiler Ahead
Anyway, I thought the plot was fine.  There's a tournament coming, and if the bad guys win, they get control of Earth.  Kinda silly, but who cares.  The bad guys realize literally nothing is stopping them from just cheating by killing all of their opponents ahead of the tournament, which is a smart plan.  The whys and hows about this are not even discussed, which is fine.

The worst part of the movie is the fact that the main character is made up specifically for this movie and is dull as dirt while the characters from the actual game are fairly interesting.  Too much time is spent on this guy (and his family) while actual MK characters have to carry him in every scene.  The main guy could've been dropped and the perspective shifted to almost any other hero in the movie and it'd be an improvement.

The fights are pretty good, and a lot of the characters say things from the game.  The fan service is required, so I didn't mind they leaned into it a little.  The problem is that there are fights towards the end to settle the plot and a number of characters die a bit unceremoniously so that other characters can get more screen time for their plotlines.

They explain that all the characters get their powers from magic that works like magic does, so you're forced to just go with it.  Liu Kang's fire attacks are the same magic Kano's eye laser and the same magic as Jax's arms or Kung Lao's hat (for some reason).

All of my knocks against the movie revolve around the choice of main protagonist, especially when it comes to the final fight scene which features fan favorite Scorpion, who was on the poster, while for some reason taking place inside the MMA gym where Cole Young practices.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 03:56:54 PM by nickmitch »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6440 on: May 02, 2021, 12:04:03 AM »
I feel like we got a Batman and Robin version of Mortal Kombat. The Original version was Batman 89 and there still hasn't been a Dark Knight trilogy version of MK.

They should have introduced Cole and Janet Leigh'd him. The birthmark thing is silly. The MK emblem should just be Shang Tsung's seal.

It sucks when you're watching a movie and you absolutely know you could make a better one.

The best Shang Tsung is still James Hong in Big Trouble in Little China. Mortal Kombat the game is essentially a game based on it where they didn't have the rights.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 12:15:19 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6441 on: May 03, 2021, 07:05:41 AM »
Tom Clancy's Without Remorse (Amazon) - This movie was very average and cliched in spots the casting definitely didnt help either but Michael B Jordan did his absolute best to hold the whole film together through energy alone.

MBJ seemed tense and on edge the whole way through this movie, but in both Creed's and Black Panther he was far more relaxed and at ease. I'm wondering if thats a acting choice or if he just feels more comfortable working with Ryan Coogler.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6442 on: May 03, 2021, 08:16:39 PM »
I feel like we got a Batman and Robin version of Mortal Kombat. The Original version was Batman 89 and there still hasn't been a Dark Knight trilogy version of MK.

They should have introduced Cole and Janet Leigh'd him. The birthmark thing is silly. The MK emblem should just be Shang Tsung's seal.

I don't follow what you mean by "Janet Leigh'd him".  Could you elaborate?

I think it could've worked if Cole turned out to be Scorpion or at least the "new" Scorpion.  The final fight scene would've made more sense to have him carry on his ancestor's legacy and defeat Sub-Zero instead of having him pointlessly hit blocks of ice while the deus ex machina saves the day.

I was fine with the birthmark thing.  People in the MK universe have magic powers, but there's no real reason for it (at least to my knowledge).  The mark being tied to it helps put rules to it while also giving the villain a clear marker as to who to go after.  It allowed them to have the movie take place in the "real world" while not having to rewrite too many rules about how things work.

Although, I will say that the fact that the villains can just go to Earth and wreck **** seemingly whenever they please messes with that last point quite a bit.  But I have to assume that if the "tournament" is what would give them control of the earth realm, then Raiden (and the other gods?) can and would just shoo them off if they tried to just "invade".

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6443 on: May 04, 2021, 01:25:16 AM »

I don't follow what you mean by "Janet Leigh'd him".  Could you elaborate?

I think it could've worked if Cole turned out to be Scorpion or at least the "new" Scorpion.  The final fight scene would've made more sense to have him carry on his ancestor's legacy and defeat Sub-Zero instead of having him pointlessly hit blocks of ice while the deus ex machina saves the day.

I was fine with the birthmark thing.  People in the MK universe have magic powers, but there's no real reason for it (at least to my knowledge).  The mark being tied to it helps put rules to it while also giving the villain a clear marker as to who to go after.  It allowed them to have the movie take place in the "real world" while not having to rewrite too many rules about how things work.

Although, I will say that the fact that the villains can just go to Earth and wreck **** seemingly whenever they please messes with that last point quite a bit.  But I have to assume that if the "tournament" is what would give them control of the earth realm, then Raiden (and the other gods?) can and would just shoo them off if they tried to just "invade".

Psycho spoilers - What Janet Leigh'd means

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-allJhAbbw

Janet Leigh played Marion Crane, the main character of psycho. Or so the people going to the movie in the 1960s thought. The movie starts with her. It follows her closely for the first act of the movie. As closely as Joker follows Joaquin Phoenix. She's in almost every shot in the first act. Then Norman Bates murders her. The movie takes its time before it kills her. The camera follows her for 48 minutes.  For the rest of the movie it follows other characters. This was shocking at the time. As far as movie structure goes, it would still be pretty jarring.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:28:58 AM by ThePerm »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6444 on: May 04, 2021, 01:44:17 AM »
OH! Ok. Thanks for the explanation!

Yeah, that would've have been interesting to do in MK.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #6445 on: May 04, 2021, 11:33:10 AM »
I have a contrasting opinion on Mortal Kombat (2021).  I hate to keep giving out 7s like this, but it's another 7. 
I agree with Nickmitch and give it a 7. I had fun watching it and enjoyed the references to the games. I have not played an MK game since 3 but still knew almost every character. I actually thought Cole was some new character I had not heard of. I thought Kano was funny at first but think they over did the comic relief with him like they did with the Flash in Justice League.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6446 on: May 04, 2021, 11:56:31 AM »
Was Cole not a new character made just for the movie?
That was the main character with the family that eventually could pull out two batons, right?

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #6447 on: May 04, 2021, 05:03:07 PM »
Was Cole not a new character made just for the movie?
That was the main character with the family that eventually could pull out two batons, right?

Yeah, I just didn't know that when I was watching it.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6448 on: May 04, 2021, 11:28:33 PM »
I remembered reading that they had made up a guy for the film, but I initially forgot when watching it because of the opening scene.

I've been thinking more about Perm's idea. Seeing another descendant of the original Scorpion killing Cole and then taking up the mantle because he is a rightful heir would've made for a pretty interesting twist and plotline.

One thing about the film is that it gets more frustrating the more you think about it, but I guess at the time it doesn't seem like it's asking you to suspend your disbelief too much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: May 13, 2021, 05:03:11 AM »
Time Bandits - 6.5/10. It's been a long time coming. It was pretty good. I've been meaning to watch it for years, I just never did. It reminded me of Baron Von Munchausen... and I just looked it up and it turns out Terry Gilliam. Which must be why it also reminded me of the Imaginarium of Doctor Pernassus. He's got clear style.